4 (13.8%)
Sub
22 (75.9%)
Neither
3 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: May 06, 2004, 09:11:43 PM

Barnes

I guess I'll make a poll from this. Anyway I don't mind either format. I'd just like to know which one you like and why. Don't be mean to someone just cause they like a certain form ok?
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

Suspicious

Both, because some things are just intended to be heard in the language that the anime is targeted towards (Japanese usually), and sometimes things are hilarious if you hear it in your native language.
»Jrock Con »LJ »MySpace »Website

jinnai_animexcalibur

Official Katsuhiko Jinnai Myspace Page

Katsuhiko Jinnai "The Anime Convention Experience" - NEW ORIGINAL CD - COMING SUMMER 2009.

AnimE'xcalibur/Shinoda Sound Recordings

www.shinodasound.com

Tsubasa

I like my anime in this order: subbed/raw then dubbed.  I'm not one of them dub haters.  I honestly respect all the hard work and talent that go into making a dub track, but I can't say that I care to watch my anime in english.  I like listening to Japanese.  I find it to be a very fascinating language.  By listening to the Japanese track, I generally pick up a lot more because I have some knowledge of the language.  Things such as how characters talk and refer to themselves and others, cultural references, and word puns cannot be rendered well enough in english.  Also, Japanese voices can sound so cute/cool.  I'm sure you peoples have noticed that girls lose some of their cuteness when they are dubbed over.  And a lot of guys lose their coolness when they are dubbed over too (I'm still annoyed by the dubbed Kaga on Iron Chef when I hear him).
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

jindo

I prefer my anime subbed but only dubbed anime that I can tolerate watching would be original transformers and Robotech.
If you can afford a smart phone, then you can support the industries by "purchasing" the legit goods.

KimaLucifer

I prefer (NEITHER) cause I can understand the thing to begin with :D

But if I had to, I would go with the sub.
Doll Collecting Frenzy.
MSD#2, SD13#16, YSD Kuuta, MSDOne-offSwDMiuBoy
AoD Lele x2

MSD#17 coming home soon

Living my life away in Japan...hopefully to return for fanime next NEXT year.

CloudStrife546

Quote from: "Tsubasa"I like my anime in this order: subbed/raw then dubbed.  I'm not one of them dub haters.  I honestly respect all the hard work and talent that go into making a dub track, but I can't say that I care to watch my anime in english.  I like listening to Japanese.  I find it to be a very fascinating language.  By listening to the Japanese track, I generally pick up a lot more because I have some knowledge of the language.  Things such as how characters talk and refer to themselves and others, cultural references, and word puns cannot be rendered well enough in english.  Also, Japanese voices can sound so cute/cool.  I'm sure you peoples have noticed that girls lose some of their cuteness when they are dubbed over.  And a lot of guys lose their coolness when they are dubbed over too (I'm still annoyed by the dubbed Kaga on Iron Chef when I hear him).

oh wow...i couldnt have said it better.  its like he read my mind.

Stormfalcon

I tend to prefer subbed, but I appreciate a well-done dub as well.  Good thing that dubbing has been getting better over the years.  Not perfect, but better.
My Cosplay Photography gallery, including FanimeCon 2001-2014:
http://stormfalcon.smugmug.com/CosplayPhotography

My DeviantArt Page:
http://stormfalcon.deviantart.com

MayneNeko

Both, as long as i can watch my anime, i'm happy.   :D
,,,,^..^,,,,
MayneNeko

Tendai

It really varies for me o.O Often depends on how I first saw it - for example, I don't mind Gundam Wing dubs because that's the way I first viewed the series.

However, if someone even mentions the Weiss Kreuz dubs I'm liable to break a bottle over their head.  God help them if they say that they like them.

But those are phenomenally bad anyways, even if I did see fansubs first.

kei

Here is a long quote that I take from "Ask John Archive" http://animenation.net/news/askjohn.php?id=694

"On a more subjective level, I prefer the sound of Japanese language in anime. It's interesting that you bring up the Cowboy Bebop English language dub because I recently experienced it for the first time when I saw the Cowboy Bebop movie in a local theater. Regretfully I have to disagree with the numerous people who argue that Cowboy Bebop is better in English. I believe that Japanese voice acting is carefully directed to create an aural atmosphere and mood. English dubbing is directed to convey story, with tone and atmosphere being only a distant secondary concern, if it's a concern at all. In its original Japanese language, the Cowboy Bebop movie creates a tone of despair. The film is about two living dead men whose ideals clash. The dialogue and its delivery emphasize that Spike and Vincent are similar. Both are men who survived tragedies that should have killed them. Both are men who continue to live on willpower and determination alone, devoid of hope. Vincent embraces his nihilism. Spike disguises his with a superficial jovial facade. Unfortunately, none of this comes through clearly in the English voice-over. In English, Vincent is simply a madman bent on apocalypse. His dialogue says that he's seeking redemption, but his English voice expresses none of the haunting regret and sadness that's in his original Japanese voice. In English, Spike is a carefree playboy. His taunts that he doesn't care about others or the fate of the world come across as casual off-the-cuff bluffs, unlike his weighty, solemn statements in the Japanese version which dare his opponent to call the bluff that partially isn't a bluff. The difference in vocal performance is also extremely apparent in the voice of Jet Black. In the original Japanese, Jet is a weary grandfather figure concerned about the well being of his charges, but also prepared to let them make their own choices and experience their own failures. His English voice, in my ears, comes across as whiney and jealous for lack of attention. The original Japanese language Cowboy Bebop movie uses its audio to create an ever constricting atmosphere of impending tragedy. Lines of dialogue get heavier and more carefully spoken as the film progresses. In my opinion, the English language Cowboy Bebop movie has no continuity and no evolving feel of events becoming more significant and dangerous. Even at its climax, the English dubbed Cowboy Bebop has a whimsical tone that never creates a sense of fear or dread the way the Japanese version does. The Japanese Cowboy Bebop movie is deadly serious and dramatic. The English language version simply is not so. Since the video footage is identical, the only explanation is the fact that the English voice over just doesn't convey the raw emotion and serious tone that the movie's creators designed the film to express."

His article helps me to realise why I hate dub.  
The English acting voice either flat(no emotion) or it's personality totally different than the japanese.

Banana_Llama

Subs or Dubs? Ohhh such a deep question, and one that has divided the anime community in america for...well, it has for as long as I've been into anime (though that's NOT really all that long compared to many Otaku on this board and in the community in general). But, I've had the joy of experiencing both Subtitled and Dubbed.
And it's my expert opinion to say that Subtitled is better, but both have their good points. With Subbed (or raw) you don't really lose out on as much. You get the emotion and the personality and the general atmosphere as it was meant to be (As Kei had mentioned or the article he'd used had mentioned). Dubs also have to be altered to fit with the movement of the lips and often times it'll affect the fluidity of the story and things like that. And then there's the actual voices... *cringe* If any of you have ever seen the Yami no Matsuei dub *shutter* It is the single, most terrifying and saddening thing I'd ever witnessed (and I only watched 10 minutes of it)
Dub can be really good as well... though, mostly only when I don't feel like reading. If I'm trying to do something or focus on the animation over the story, then I'll watch the dub. I think, if voice directors and even the actors would watch the original in Japanese, and at least attempt to get a similar voice (not identical or anything, but if someone has a soft voice, it'd be nice if they KEPT a soft voice), then dubs would probably be  a lot more enjoyable.

~Toya
We all up ONZ

Ruri Hoshino

Iagree with Banana and Kei about subtitles. But depending on the anime, some dub isn't so bad. Like I was watching spirited away in English and it wasn't so bad, I went through my DVD of it, to see the actors and directors point of view and what not and they tried to get as close as they could to the japanese version, plus they compared it and I was like, if most anime dubbing companies did what Disney did, dubbing would be a whole lot better. So I was really impressed.But until dubbing gets better, I'm sticking with Subtitles. That or if Disney gets the rights to more animes or redo the dubbing XD.

Kami! Take the test on which Malice Mizer band member are you? http://www.akutenshi.com/mmtest/index.html

Kyle stabell

Dubed is easier for me because I don't have to be constantly looking at the subtittles
Cosplay costumes:
2 Ranma outfits - 100% done
Himura Kenshin - 100% done
MGS2 guard - 85% done

Barnes

Too bad there won't be a dub room at the con this year.
I forgot to make a poll for this (didn't know how to back when I made this thread).
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

felicity869

Quote from: "Mastersomething"Too bad there won't be a dub room at the con this year.

Too bad indeed. Personally I prefer subtitles but I'm bring my little brother with me who won't be able to read fast enough to keep up with what's going on. Hopefully they will indicate on the scedual what will be dubbed and what will be subbed. If not I'm going ot go made wlaking from room to room trying to find one showing somehting my brother can watch. All I need, yet  another thing to stress about.

SpazMegami

I prefer raw and subbed before dubbed, simply because the dubbed version can get so butchered and can lose some elements in translation.  However, there are some really good dubs (FLCL comes to mind) that I don't care which version I watch.
Current # of bishies in my harem: 562...I've been a busy little spaz monkey! ^_^

neko ewen

I prefer subbed or raw for the extra practice at Japanese, but whether it's on Cartoon Network or it's what my friends prefer to set a DVD to, I have no problem with watching a dubbed version.

American dubs (which are mostly done in Canada  :P ) have reached a point where unless the original Japanese voice acting was pretty exceptional (Kenshin comes to mind here) you generally can't complain about a difference in quality.
Yaruki Zero Games | Ask me about Maid RPG
"I dream heavy metal but I live whiny punk rock."

Tuplica

I usually like good fansubs because too many companies these days seem to have a tendency to censor their subs, if only a little bit, which drives me nuts. Otherwise, I don't really care- if the dub is horrible for a certain anime (or there's only a dub for the butchered version of an anime) then I'll gladly take the sub, but I don't mind good dubs at all.
Attending Fanime since 2002, having panic attacks and editing marathons since 2003.

Soygirl

I prefer subs, but I like dubs that are REALLY high quality, such as with Spirited Away and other anime brought to the US on a high budget.