Panel/Workshop Suggestion: How to talk to boys

Started by DivineChaos, November 25, 2007, 03:35:17 AM

Steve.Young

I'll mediate this!  :D

Lets see if we can set this up.
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Jane_HTGPanel

There was a super-poorly done how to talk to boys panel about two years ago.

My friend, and one of the Industry guests, Sean McCoy, who will be helping with how to talk to girls this year (as well as doing some animation panels) was thinking about hosting a How to talk to Boys panel also... If there's enough pull for it here (???), I'll remind him and see if he's still intent on hosting one.

If there isn't one, we certainly wouldn't omit our two cents on approaching boys if a question on doing so is raised at the How to talk to girls panel...

Questions at the panel can be not only general, but specific. Maybe it's easy to approach the opposite sex for you but you have a specific problem with a specific situation you'd like some nonpartisan advice about. We're all ears.

Feel free to drop in!

<3

PyronIkari

Really, both panels are kinda stupid since it comes down to one thing.

"How to talk to boys".

"Have confidence"

Same with how to talk to girls.

Then you'll get the "I've done that before and I got turned down" crap. Well obviously, not every girl will like you and would be willing to date you. So one girl doesn't, that doesn't mean others won't.

To be honest though, my major problem with this panel is, if you teach a guy the first part, he might succeed and won't know what to do past the first part. Landing a date is easy, if they're having trouble with that, how in the hell are they going to keep them around?

ManWithDoor

PyronIkari - I would recommend actually thinking about your words before writing them down.  From the way she's been treating the subject, I wouldn't be surprised if Jane_HTGPanel had counseling experience.  Having over two years of counseling experience myself (in educational, emotional, and religious venues), I know that being derisive of the concerns and fears of others does nothing to solve their dilemna.  We all have interpersonal problems in some degree, and each of us are different.  Invalidating the fears simply reinforces beliefs that there is something "wrong" with the person, that they somehow missed out on how to be a normal person.

For those out there who do have difficulty talking to boys or girls (and I have fears too, so I'm not excluding myself here), know that you're not alone.  Seeking out advise and help is both natural and extremely rewarding.  Not only are you facing your fears, you're avoiding a huge mistake that many of us make - going it alone in life.  I'm not saying that you automatically accept what they say as the truth, yet take it into consideration.  See where it can help you in your life if you apply it.  I'm a scientist by training, so questioning and experimenting on ideas is one of my favorite hobbies.

With over 6 billion people on this planet, I highly doubt we were meant to do everything alone.  Life is a grand adventure.  And as you search for that special someone (or just a nice date) build a community of positive friends.  Always keep learning.  I know many public speakers personally, and they all keep insisting that they haven't "arrived", they're students just as anyone else.  So accept where you're at, look and see where you want to go (and who you want to be), and commit to a life of change and improvement.  Then you'll be doing better than the majority of the people out there most likely.  Have fun, and keep in touch.

PyronIkari

I've done counseling at a high school for two years.

The major point your missing is that, people need someone to talk to, not a panel to tell them how to talk to girls once a year.

The major point is instilling that confidence per person, and each person gains confidence in a different way. That's why a blanket style panel that addresses a problem doesn't solve anything, because all that can be offered on such a non-personal level is a basic answer, and a basic understanding of the answer. Essentially this doesn't help people with their problems, nor really understanding the problem, only a way to bypass it without full overcoming the problem. You're telling them how to accomplish something without understanding how and why you accomplish it.

I can teach someone to pick up a girl, but they won't know why it worked, or how to continue on pass that point. That's what this panel does.

clawmaster

check out our site, we cover all the latest news on both anime and video games and also we have a podcast http://missionstartpodcast.weebly.com/

Joecool1

I gotta say,
boys are the sexy mother fuckas! Like me!
GET ME SOME HOES AND BITCHES AT THE CONS!!

xRaMeNx117

This would really be helpful I think. I agree that the main thing will be informing them about haveing confidence. We can also give tips on how to keepy your guy happy and whatnot. Tips like keeping good communication and trust between yourself and your guy. There are a number of things that can be discussed.

XBL GamerTag: xViciousxRamenx

Jane_HTGPanel

Quote from: PyronIkari on April 01, 2008, 05:17:23 PM

The major point your missing is that, people need someone to talk to, not a panel to tell them how to talk to girls once a year.

The major point is instilling that confidence per person, and each person gains confidence in a different way. That's why a blanket style panel that addresses a problem doesn't solve anything, because all that can be offered on such a non-personal level is a basic answer, and a basic understanding of the answer. Essentially this doesn't help people with their problems, nor really understanding the problem, only a way to bypass it without full overcoming the problem. You're telling them how to accomplish something without understanding how and why you accomplish it.

I can teach someone to pick up a girl, but they won't know why it worked, or how to continue on pass that point. That's what this panel does.

We're only given two hours once a year. What do you expect us to be able to do with that exactly? I'm just glad that guys have found ladies through getting the courage our panel is designed to promote. That's all I need!

xRaMeNx117

Quote from: Jane_HTGPanel on April 10, 2008, 01:14:32 PM
Quote from: PyronIkari on April 01, 2008, 05:17:23 PM

We're only given two hours once a year. What do you expect us to be able to do with that exactly? I'm just glad that guys have found ladies through getting the courage our panel is designed to promote. That's all I need!
hells yeah! ^_^ so this going on? And if help is needed im availble
XBL GamerTag: xViciousxRamenx

lacus

If there is this panel I will definitely go
I don't know how to talk to boys...

Kava

No one ever submitted for this panel, so it will not be on the schedule, sorry!

-Kava
Rena
Panels Coordinator 2007-2014
Programming Director, 2015

Panels Twitter: http://twitter.com/FanimePanels

JTchinoy

I'm too lazy to read what pyron's said, so I'm just going to come out and say that I can't believe we need a panel for this.  I don't think any guy will be freaked out if a girl comes up out of nowhere and talks to them/ hits on them.  Since guys are stereotypically expected to make the first move, I would think guys would like the idea of being approached.  I would, at least.

I know someone's going to refute me, but I felt like saying it.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X