Chair

Started by wen, June 25, 2003, 08:46:18 PM

wen

Aha.. I just thought there should be a little blurb about Chair.. On the website or on the programming booklet or whatnot.. Since it's part of Fanime tradition and well... I know not everyone knew wtf everyone was chanting "CHAIR! CHAIR!" ^^;;

*shrugs* Just an idea.. I know people who DO know what it's about get tired of explaining it..
http://public.fotki.com/wen/fanime

Gimme piks of the Asian Nittle Grasper + the girls holding signs at the beginning of the closing ceremonies line pls.. ^^

the_Pink_Panther24

whats this about a chair now? O_O;;;

Akito Starwind

ok iv been yelling chair out for about 3 years now at Fanime. but i was realy looking forword to watching the chair AMV that was shown at fanimes closing ceramony in 2002, it was great. and yes i know what chair is all about " remembers Rock"
Dealers Room Staff 2004
Dealers Room Staff 2005
Dealers Room Staff 2006
Dealers Room Staff 2007
Dealers Room Staff 2008

the_Pink_Panther24

i missed something.

Barnes

In the video rooms, are you allowed to grab a chair and stack it on top of another so you can see the screen?
(I got away with it this year once!)
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

frumpy

Quote from: "Mastersomething"In the video rooms, are you allowed to grab a chair and stack it on top of another so you can see the screen?
(I got away with it this year once!)

No, that is a huge no-no. That is a safety policy. Unfortunately, we did not have enough staff to watch over the video rooms properly.
Camilla Wong
Dealers Dept '07-'12, 2014-current
Charity Auction '04, '09-'12
Video Programming '00-'04
Gopher Volunteer '98-'99

the_Pink_Panther24

*hits mastersomething with a rolled up news paper*
NO!
BAD!

SuperKawaiiNeko

Chair.

To explain Chair lets take the wayback machine WAY BACK to Fanime 2000. Specifically, the Der Cosplay (back then still known as the Masquerade.)

The setting: Waiting for the Masquerade to start in the Santa Clara Convention Center Theatre (I think thats where it was that year....I didnt go that time.)

The staff is running behind schedule, and so the Masquerade is late in starting. Everyone has been sitting around for about 30-40 miniutes, waiting for the show to start. (yes very late)

At some point, a chair was brought out, placed on stage, and forgotten about.

So, after a while of this chair being on stage, out of boredom some random otaku (God bless him) starts chanting "Chair chair chair chair chair!" like it was about to guzzle a soda or jump out a window into a pool or something. Hearing this, more and more people take up the cry, and begin chanting along, urging the chair in its daring feats, untill the show finally started.

The rest, as they say, is history.
President, Moldimort Inc.
A new division of Neko-Spaz enterprises worldwide
I mocked Haru! Ask me how!

Attendee 1998-2001 Volunteer 2002-2008 Swap Meet Staff 2009
Head of Volunteers 2010

wen

Rotflmao. Yes. I think the whole world deserves to know this *nods*.

Sidenote: Why is it called DER?
http://public.fotki.com/wen/fanime

Gimme piks of the Asian Nittle Grasper + the girls holding signs at the beginning of the closing ceremonies line pls.. ^^

Kabuki

so THAT's the thing about chair o____O i've been attending fanime since 2000 and never knew about that. last i remember in 2000, i hung out in the artist row a darn lot with a group of artists... now i know..... o_o

Stormfalcon

I believe the whole chair thing got prompted by either Mike or Brian telling the audience about the San Diego ComicCon Rock partway through Fanime 2K (or was it 1999?  I'll have to check through my picture archives to see what year the Boxes also made their appearance, since there were chants of "Box!" as well).  After the tale was told, the chair was left on stage as SKN related and it all started from there.
My Cosplay Photography gallery, including FanimeCon 2001-2014:
http://stormfalcon.smugmug.com/CosplayPhotography

My DeviantArt Page:
http://stormfalcon.deviantart.com

the_Pink_Panther24

what the name of pete is the thing with the chair!!!! i dont get it!

Barnes

ow, my eye!
All right I'm not gonna do that again, I'll just have to sit in the
front, oh boy!
(gets on my knees and begs pinkpanther not to hit me again).
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

the_Pink_Panther24

stupid dog! you made me look bad! *takes out giant canibal looking mask* OOOOGABOOOGABOOOGA!!!!!!

CloudStrife546

Quote from: "the_Pink_Panther24"what the name of pete is the thing with the chair!!!! i dont get it!

For explainations please refer to page 1, written by SuperKawaiiNeko, and top of page 2 written by Stormfalcon.  For further explaination please refer to the notes in CloudStrife546's profile below.  If you need more explaination than that take the following steps: 1) invent a time machine and travel back to FanimeCon of 2000 2) experience it for yourself

Miyamato_Mushasi

Heh i was there when the whole chair thing started

HareSenpai

this is totally unrelated, but after seeing the_Pink_Panther24's avatar, i was suddenly reminded of the "Lupin owns Spike" (i totally agree) flyers @ the dercosplay. anyhow, the_Pink_Panther24, monkey punch gots a new series.. its called 'cinderella boy.' The name is retarded, but the series is like neo-lupin. you might like it
Ahou ka?

boots01

Quote from: "wen"Sidenote: Why is it called DER?

because das is the improper gender marker.
-Eugene
2001 Video Programming Staffer
2002 Acting Video Programming Head
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2010 Yamaga Party Coordinator
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

so much anime to watch, so little time

Shin Gouki

ok all you noobs the chair is a ripoff os the AX 99 cos play where someone left a rock prop on stage for the hole show and the something (but with a chair) happen in Fanime 2k1 that's how it got started  ^_^

zimbach

Quote from: "Shin Gouki"ok all you noobs the chair is a ripoff os the AX 99 cos play where someone left a rock prop on stage for the hole show and the something (but with a chair) happen in Fanime 2k1 that's how it got started  ^_^
You've got three stories all mixed up here. The chair business originated at the masquerade (as it was still called then) at FanimeCon 1999, when the convention was at the Wyndham hotel in San Jose, but that event was held in the theater in the Santa Clara Convention Center.
Jason Pagura