Suspended for "Death Note"?

Started by FinalShadows, November 27, 2007, 10:05:21 PM

DemonLordZabuza

Thoughts:

-its only illegal till you get caught  :P
-parents its ok to beat beat your kids so they know better
-great another kid become a statistic

I find this whole thing hillarious.  Incidents like just add more on how anime is bad for kids, or video games promote violence.  In all truth is the parents fault for not teaching their kids right :P...and remember now its only funny until someone losses and eye, then its hillarious :D

"Even a demon can learn to love."
-Me

Shinsengumi

after watch this clip, that's just funny and sad at the same time , they souldn't be blaming this on the anime. I would blame the parents for this.
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

otakuapprentice

Quote from: JohnnyAR on November 28, 2007, 06:53:13 AM
Quote from: PyronIkari on November 27, 2007, 11:43:04 PM
Uhm... although they're over-reacting, it's not as hillarious and joking as you people seem to think it is.

It's basically a death threat, or a wish of death. It's basically stating "i wish x person was dead" in that sense, and it is supposed to be taken seriously in that sense.

Books like that have been confiscated and a problem for decades, things like this went on in the 50's. People would write in books about who they hated, and who they wish would die.

The majority of the time, these were written by unbalanced kids, and they had different psychotic tendencies(please understand the defenition of psychotic if you're going to reply about it). Even in that interview, his "friend" pretty much says that he is these things. Is it something that should be taken literally, as if he is trying to kill them? No, but it does show that he's an unbalanced kid that thinks he would be happier if people died, and that is a serious issue.

But you guys laugh at it, sure it's kinda funny that they're over-reacting, but it is still a serious matter.

I don't know whats so funny about them over reacting, its just another thing to give anime a bad name. But your right about the unbalanced kid thing.
the unbalanced kid thing is pretty much right on the dot, but the whole 'blaming anime/giving it a bad name' is with its faults; the DN manga/anime is simply connected to the incident, not in any way responsible for it. Nevertheless, it is still connected to it, so it will be blamed in one way or another.

At least its not video games this time; i would love to see how Jack Thompson would try to spin this, but i don't think he has the time(seeing as how he's gonna be on trial soon to try and prove all the crap he's said so far...)
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

JohnnyAR

Quote from: Jerry on November 28, 2007, 08:03:41 AM
this is definately up to debate:

I'm sure at some point ppl get upset and think or feel to need to wish someone was dead...

something ppl think in a court of law, that once you write down 'notes' or a plan you would think its considered as pre-meditated or something...

then again some ppl leave it bottled up in their heads... go to a post office during the holidays and go "postal" blowing away innocent civilians...

i think i lost my point, but i suppose its based on LOTS of factors like intent, the person's 'usual' activities, mental stability, family, and hobbies etc, etc... then theres always the WTF factor when little sweet billy just snaps one day...

first video games, now anime will be the blame of why good kids go bad?

doh, just when you thought things were gonna be ok, they have to attack another one of my favorite hobbies.

whats next?

Breasts outlawed? I'd cry if they past that law.  :-[

Exactly

zoupzuop2

Speaking of Jack Thompson, I wonder if anyone sent him any free H-Games during the whole Hot Coffee ordeal. Just the thought of his reaction would be too hilarious...
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

JohnnyAR

Quote from: zoupzuop2 on November 28, 2007, 03:58:26 PM
Speaking of Jack Thompson, I wonder if anyone sent him any free H-Games during the whole Hot Coffee ordeal. Just the thought of his reaction would be too hilarious...

Alright I don't get it. Who's Jack Thompson? What'd this guy do? What Hot Coffee Ordeal? How are H-Games involved in this?

otakuapprentice

Quote from: JohnnyAR on November 28, 2007, 04:05:30 PM
Quote from: zoupzuop2 on November 28, 2007, 03:58:26 PM

Alright I don't get it. Who's Jack Thompson? What'd this guy do? What Hot Coffee Ordeal? How are H-Games involved in this?
just google his name, and it'll answer your question.

H-games aren't involved; it's just a reference Zoup decided to make that isn't tied to this whatsoever.

Braveheart

wow random thread
ok here are my thoughts...

I don't blame the school for reacting as they did. With our Country's recent history of school shootings I think it is totaly appropriate to suspend the kid and inform the parents. If you have a "Death Note" book and you are writing names in it you should leave it at home. If I was a parent and my kid came home and said little johnny sitting next to him had a "Death Note" notebook and had the names of all the teachers and his classmates in it I would freak. It's a sad statement of the time we live in but school tragedies have become so common place any sign of hostility in the classroom can not be tolerated.

With that said I agree anime should not be blamed for this, but of course the media is going to blame the anime they always blame something. It's easier to say little Johnny was influenced and corrupted by this evil empire of Manga instead of saying woah why isn't this kid in therapy. People have come to believe that protecting our children means pretending that nothing is wrong and making excuses for their behavior. Too often children are not held responcible for their actions both by the parents and the authorities. If a kid steals a pair of shoes what is going to happen? The store is not going to persue them because they are afraid of being sued by the parents. If the store does catch them usually the police just releases them to the parents. If the parents don't dicipline them they just learned that they can break the law and get away with it.

<unrelated rant>
The best way to prevent a kid from picking up a gun and either hurting themselves or others is to put a gun in their hands at a young age. Teach them to respect firearms and that firearms kill. Teach them about death instead of sheltering them from it, and then instill into them a respect for life.
</unrelated rant>

::edited:: corrected spelling
.\\ike

Rovers Department Head
Fanime Operations

*Proud member of Prop Whores United <3*

I support all cosplayers and their freedom to carry accurate props that conform to FanimeCon guidelines

PyronIkari

Quote from: Jerry on November 28, 2007, 08:03:41 AM
this is definately up to debate:

I'm sure at some point ppl get upset and think or feel to need to wish someone was dead...

something ppl think in a court of law, that once you write down 'notes' or a plan you would think its considered as pre-meditated or something...

then again some ppl leave it bottled up in their heads... go to a post office during the holidays and go "postal" blowing away innocent civilians...

i think i lost my point, but i suppose its based on LOTS of factors like intent, the person's 'usual' activities, mental stability, family, and hobbies etc, etc... then theres always the WTF factor when little sweet billy just snaps one day...

first video games, now anime will be the blame of why good kids go bad?

doh, just when you thought things were gonna be ok, they have to attack another one of my favorite hobbies.

whats next?

Breasts outlawed? I'd cry if they past that law.  :-[

The ones that bottle it up and end up losing it... are usually psychotic in nature and have mental issues. Same with the people that feel the need to write down the names of people they wish were dead.

You guys are missing the point just like the news people are. They're making a big deal out of the origins of the death note, you guys are making a big deal out of them making a big deal out of the origins of the death note.

And then the easy thing to do, blame the parents. Apparently you guys don't remember jr. high and high school(or rather are still in it, and don't believe). It's easy to put on a mask to your parents and hide things. It's easy to make them believe something about you that is completely false. For all you know, his parents are great parents and do everything they're supposed to do. Maybe it's the kids fault... for hiding his problems. Maybe his parents ask if anything is wrong, and are trying to help him, and he says things are fine with a smile, then goes to his room.

The fact of the matter is, if you're at the point where a simple feeling of anger, turns into wishing someone was dead, and writing it down as a solid fact... it is premeditated. It means it's something you wished to happen and it's proof that you wanted to do it. It's undeniable the name is written down as a proclaimation of "You wish they died".

It IS a lot of factors, and you guys do no better than the media by pointing the finger and blaming the parents. Just like they blindly point at games, or anime. This kid might be getting beat up/bullied/robbed at school. This kid might actually be clinically psychotic. There's lots of issues and lots of problems. Frankly, you CAN'T make a good assessment on this situation due to the lack of facts that a single news report gave. Talking about the real problems isn't news though, it's just another messed up kid in school, there's usually a dozen or so in each grade of each school.

otakuapprentice

Quote from: PyronIkari on November 28, 2007, 05:55:13 PM
The ones that bottle it up and end up losing it... are usually psychotic in nature and have mental issues. Same with the people that feel the need to write down the names of people they wish were dead.

You guys are missing the point just like the news people are. They're making a big deal out of the origins of the death note, you guys are making a big deal out of them making a big deal out of the origins of the death note.

And then the easy thing to do, blame the parents. Apparently you guys don't remember jr. high and high school(or rather are still in it, and don't believe). It's easy to put on a mask to your parents and hide things. It's easy to make them believe something about you that is completely false. For all you know, his parents are great parents and do everything they're supposed to do. Maybe it's the kids fault... for hiding his problems. Maybe his parents ask if anything is wrong, and are trying to help him, and he says things are fine with a smile, then goes to his room.

The fact of the matter is, if you're at the point where a simple feeling of anger, turns into wishing someone was dead, and writing it down as a solid fact... it is premeditated. It means it's something you wished to happen and it's proof that you wanted to do it. It's undeniable the name is written down as a proclaimation of "You wish they died".

It IS a lot of factors, and you guys do no better than the media by pointing the finger and blaming the parents. Just like they blindly point at games, or anime. This kid might be getting beat up/bullied/robbed at school. This kid might actually be clinically psychotic. There's lots of issues and lots of problems. Frankly, you CAN'T make a good assessment on this situation due to the lack of facts that a single news report gave. Talking about the real problems isn't news though, it's just another messed up kid in school, there's usually a dozen or so in each grade of each school.
after going back and viewing the video clip(trying to see if there's anything i missed), they called it a book, not a 'manga/graphic novel'.

blaming the parents is right up there with blaming music, games, books, television, movies, etc.(pretty much all types of media can be blamed), except for the fact that the parents arent as likely to be blamed as everything else is, since the exposure to these different types of media is much greater.

good case in point is what happened at VTech: after it happened, one of the main things that was blamed for influencing the gunman was videogames(it's retarded how they call counterstrike a 'murder simulator'), yet they found out that he had no games AFTER they did the investigation, making it a baseless claim; Back when Columbine happened, it was music that was to blame(although they had evidence that he listened to Marilyn Manson and similar artists, but that doesnt prove that it influenced what happened that day).

If he had names of people in there, that would mean that they did something to him(either they bullied him, beat him up, made fun of him, etc.) to have their names put there in the first place, which means it is them that should be blamed for driving the person to that point.

Yes, he could just be clinically psychotic, but that probably isn't going to be taken into account at the beginning of the incident; what they can see/find will.

Better that they caught it now before we hear of X number of students/faculty getting shot later down the line.

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: Braveheart on November 28, 2007, 04:52:23 PM
<unrelated rant>
The best way to prevent a kid from picking up a gun and either hurting themselves or others is to put a gun in their hands at a young age. Teach them to respect firearms and that firearms kill. Teach them about death instead of sheltering them from it, and then instill into them a respect for life.
</unrelated rant>

DUDE. I REALLY hope you don't do this when you're a parent. I'm not going to tell you how to raise your kid, but the idea of it is pretty scary. You don't have to take my word for this, since I'm just effing crazy, but if my parents taught me to use a gun, I would've shot some bully or something when I was younger. Life is valuable and respectable, right? Meaning, I caused someone I didn't like to lose something valuable that I didn't think he deserved.

There are plenty of other ways to teach life, man. Show him The Iron Giant or something. He'll learn about firearms, life, giant robots, and everything. That movie is just awesome. =)

Any word I have to say on the related subject has already been said. No point in just repeating.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

otakuapprentice

"Here Timmy, i'm gonna show you how to use a gun."

Yea.........not the best approach at all IMHO.

Wanna instill into your kid a respect for life? Show them all the horrible, disgusting, inexcusable things that have happened throughout the course of history, as well as what's currently happening in the world. That should be WAY better than handing a kid a pistol.

PyronIkari

Quote from: otakuapprentice on November 28, 2007, 06:24:09 PMafter going back and viewing the video clip(trying to see if there's anything i missed), they called it a book, not a 'manga/graphic novel'.

blaming the parents is right up there with blaming music, games, books, television, movies, etc.(pretty much all types of media can be blamed), except for the fact that the parents arent as likely to be blamed as everything else is, since the exposure to these different types of media is much greater.

good case in point is what happened at VTech: after it happened, one of the main things that was blamed for influencing the gunman was videogames(it's retarded how they call counterstrike a 'murder simulator'), yet they found out that he had no games AFTER they did the investigation, making it a baseless claim; Back when Columbine happened, it was music that was to blame(although they had evidence that he listened to Marilyn Manson and similar artists, but that doesnt prove that it influenced what happened that day).

If he had names of people in there, that would mean that they did something to him(either they bullied him, beat him up, made fun of him, etc.) to have their names put there in the first place, which means it is them that should be blamed for driving the person to that point.

Yes, he could just be clinically psychotic, but that probably isn't going to be taken into account at the beginning of the incident; what they can see/find will.

Better that they caught it now before we hear of X number of students/faculty getting shot later down the line.

Ugh... just... ugh.

The mass public wants a reason->cause. A simple thing they can point the blame at. Whether it be music/games/movies/comics/parents/brother/bullies any one thing they can point the blame at. You don't help by victimizing the person at fault here. Lines like how you think they were written in the book for a reason, is kind of bull. For all you know, they did nothing but be popular, or have a life he wish he had.

Columbine, Doom was to blame. The kids from that incident loved the game Doom, it wasn't the music that was the focal point.

People need to start taking responsibility for their actions though. Everyone can blame environment, or a book, or music, or their parents, or games, or movies, or cartoons, or friends, or alcohol, or drugs, or bullies, or anything in the world that you want...

But in the end it's the person that does it that is to blame. No one forced the kids from Columbine to pick up guns and shoot classmates. No one forced the VTech guy to start killing people(and if you actually know about his family life... his family was very good to him). It's their fault. Just like you can't blame a alcohol for drunk driving... it was HIS FAULT for drinking and deciding to drive.

I said this a long time ago. You can tell the difference between someone who kills because of the influence of games, and who doesn't, based on how they do the killing. What makes killing things in game isn't so much killing them, it's the style and awesomeness of how you do it. Anyone can point a handgun or a rifle and shoot someone, that's not game influenced. Game influenced... is... dual pistols sneaking up behind someone and assassinating them. Or kicking a door down and shotgunning someone.

Or how if I were to do it, if I was stupid and nuts. I'd get a halberd... and a horse(or motorcycle) driving into the shool and start hacking away sangoku musou style and try to build up my musou meter, then light my halberd on fire and activate it and start owning up.

That's how you know it's a video game influenced murder... because it's stupid and over the top just to be awesome.

QuoteThe best way to prevent a kid from picking up a gun and either hurting themselves or others is to put a gun in their hands at a young age. Teach them to respect firearms and that firearms kill. Teach them about death instead of sheltering them from it, and then instill into them a respect for life.
This sickened me a bit. To prevent a kid from picking up a gun and either hurting themselves or others, they need to respect themselves and others, over respecting the firearms and that firearms kill. If the kid doesn't respect the life he's shooting then it won't make a difference if they understand that the bullet they fire will end the life of another. These kids understand death, and understand life, it's that they don't care. It's that they don't care about the lives they're ending.

JohnnyAR

Quote from: otakuapprentice on November 28, 2007, 06:48:49 PM
"Here Timmy, i'm gonna show you how to use a gun."

Yea.........not the best approach at all IMHO.

Wanna instill into your kid a respect for life? Show them all the horrible, disgusting, inexcusable things that have happened throughout the course of history, as well as what's currently happening in the world. That should be WAY better than handing a kid a pistol.

Oh Oh Oh, I know some good examples, Vlad the Impaler he's friggen nuts, I actually started a thread a short while ago. Look google him and check every friggen thing there is, gruesome stuff! The middle ages is a good part of history. Gore, gore, gore, sex, blood, war, and more gore!

JohnnyAR

Quote from: PyronIkari on November 28, 2007, 06:49:14 PM
Quote from: otakuapprentice on November 28, 2007, 06:24:09 PMafter going back and viewing the video clip(trying to see if there's anything i missed), they called it a book, not a 'manga/graphic novel'.

Ugh... just... ugh.

The mass public wants a reason->cause. A simple thing they can point the blame at. Whether it be music/games/movies/comics/parents/brother/bullies any one thing they can point the blame at. You don't help by victimizing the person at fault here. Lines like how you think they were written in the book for a reason, is kind of bull. For all you know, they did nothing but be popular, or have a life he wish he had.

Columbine, Doom was to blame. The kids from that incident loved the game Doom, it wasn't the music that was the focal point.

People need to start taking responsibility for their actions though. Everyone can blame environment, or a book, or music, or their parents, or games, or movies, or cartoons, or friends, or alcohol, or drugs, or bullies, or anything in the world that you want...

But in the end it's the person that does it that is to blame. No one forced the kids from Columbine to pick up guns and shoot classmates. No one forced the VTech guy to start killing people(and if you actually know about his family life... his family was very good to him). It's their fault. Just like you can't blame a alcohol for drunk driving... it was HIS FAULT for drinking and deciding to drive.

I said this a long time ago. You can tell the difference between someone who kills because of the influence of games, and who doesn't, based on how they do the killing. What makes killing things in game isn't so much killing them, it's the style and awesomeness of how you do it. Anyone can point a handgun or a rifle and shoot someone, that's not game influenced. Game influenced... is... dual pistols sneaking up behind someone and assassinating them. Or kicking a door down and shotgunning someone.

Or how if I were to do it, if I was stupid and nuts. I'd get a halberd... and a horse(or motorcycle) driving into the shool and start hacking away sangoku musou style and try to build up my musou meter, then light my halberd on fire and activate it and start owning up.

That's how you know it's a video game influenced murder... because it's stupid and over the top just to be awesome.

QuoteThe best way to prevent a kid from picking up a gun and either hurting themselves or others is to put a gun in their hands at a young age. Teach them to respect firearms and that firearms kill. Teach them about death instead of sheltering them from it, and then instill into them a respect for life.
This sickened me a bit. To prevent a kid from picking up a gun and either hurting themselves or others, they need to respect themselves and others, over respecting the firearms and that firearms kill. If the kid doesn't respect the life he's shooting then it won't make a difference if they understand that the bullet they fire will end the life of another. These kids understand death, and understand life, it's that they don't care. It's that they don't care about the lives they're ending.

*nods in agreement* Yup, there's people I hate but I wouldn't want them dead, just to be taught a lesson.

What was the Columbine thing? When did it happen?

I heard about the V-tech.

FinalShadows

Lol JohnnyAR, not to be mean, but are you having a slight trouble of putting your double posts in a single post? I think Jun-Watarase addressed that earlier =P
Who should I call next? The Shrimp?

PyronIkari

Quote from: JohnnyAR on November 28, 2007, 07:42:56 PM

*nods in agreement* Yup, there's people I hate but I wouldn't want them dead, just to be taught a lesson.

What was the Columbine thing? When did it happen?

I heard about the V-tech.

... Please stop replying. I'm asking nicely... please please please stop replying. You're acting like an 8 year old that's had a cup of coffee and a bag of skittles. You can google the Columbine incident. Please stop acting like a spazzing child and post coherent thoughts and views.

JohnnyAR

Braveheart

I forget how young this board is.
.\\ike

Rovers Department Head
Fanime Operations

*Proud member of Prop Whores United <3*

I support all cosplayers and their freedom to carry accurate props that conform to FanimeCon guidelines

Lizchan33

This news is old.... it's happened before somewhere else too..... It's expected to happen sometimes.....