Suspended for "Death Note"?

Started by FinalShadows, November 27, 2007, 10:05:21 PM

aznmagic2015

I think it happened in Mainland China and South Korea half a year ago or something.

Braveheart

Quote from: Lizchan33 on November 29, 2007, 12:22:58 PM
This news is old.... it's happened before somewhere else too..... It's expected to happen sometimes.....
/agree

Nothing Is New

Nothing is new
Under the sun;
Into the sea
The waters run;
Back they are brought
Unto their sources,
Only again
To run their courses.

Thought, as well,
Never is new;
Thoughts of our own
Are but a review
Of other thoughts
Of long ago,
That down through time
Like rivers flow.

Over and over
The waters run;
Nothing is new
Under the sun.
Over and over,
Ages through,
Thought is rehearsed,
For nothing is new. 

Quillings In Verse
John Edward Everett
.\\ike

Rovers Department Head
Fanime Operations

*Proud member of Prop Whores United <3*

I support all cosplayers and their freedom to carry accurate props that conform to FanimeCon guidelines

AnimeEmperor

Sounds like something that i'd get in trouble for. XP

Dagger-6

DUDE. I REALLY hope you don't do this when you're a parent. I'm not going to tell you how to raise your kid, but the idea of it is pretty scary.
"Here Timmy, i'm gonna show you how to use a gun."

Yea.........not the best approach at all IMHO.

There are plenty of countries where youth have high exposure to guns and develop along socially normal lines.  Canada is one example, and so is Switzerland.

As far as annecdotal evidence, for every person that says they would have done something violent if they knew how to use a gun, there are plenty of examples of people who do know how to use a firearm and don't use it for violence.

Having people be knowledgeable about firearms is more useful in preventing the accidental firearms deaths that commonly occur.

Again, teaching them about firearms won't encourage/discourage violent tendencies.  Whether a person knows about weapons doesn't really affect how they view human life.  That is a separate life lesson.

BrightHeart76

Obviously I'm only one person and my personal experiences only apply to me, but I'll present them as a single example.  Use them or ignore at your own discretion.

I was raised knowing how to use a gun.  As soon as I was big enough to handle the recoil of a gun my parents took me out and put one in my hands at a target range, I think I was 7 the first time I had to shoot.  My family doesn't hunt, we don't shoot for sport, but my parents felt it best to have guns in the house for protection.  They felt that it was better for me to know what those guns where and what they did and how to use them properly from the very begining. 

Once a year until I was probably 14 we went out and renewed the lessons.  And let me say, I HATE guns, I hate shooting guns, I hate the smell, I hate the recoil, I hate the knowledge of what that gun could do if I screw up. 

Now imagine.  I am not a pretty person (photographic evidence available in the things in the universe thread).  I am short with fuzzy hair, a lisp and on top of it all I walk like a duck.  Add to that I've been a nerd since I was very young, and grew up poor in a very rich area (Lake Tahoe).  Was I tortured and humiliated as a kid?  YOU BET!  I've been pushed down, beat up, yelled at, laughed at, had kids follow me around my school with scissors to cut my hair off, you name it.  And not just by the kids, you'd be surprised what adults will say to kids.  All because I wasn't "normal".

So I am a person who was raised knowing HOW to use guns.  Knowing WHERE to find easily available guns.  And I was a social outcast humiliated by my peers and teachers.  I fit the description of a dangerous kid. 

Did I ever, even for a second, CONCIDER an act of voilence against ANY of these people?  No.  Don't get me wrong, I hated them.  I cried for years.  I'm SURE it's where my Social Anxiety Disorder comes from.  But I would never, even for a second, concider hurting them.  It's just not worth the toll on my soul to sink to their levels.

Sigh..I'm way off the point.  I don't see it as morally irresponsible to teach kids about guns.  Infact, I agree that in some cases it can be a benefit.  I think it is very important that kids have some knowledge of guns.  If not practical working knowledge at least an introduction.  It's like cigarettes and sex, if a parent doesn't teach their kid you don't know where they'll get their information or the quatlity of that information.  As much as I hated it, I did learn a lot because I was forced to use those guns.  It didn't change how I value life, it simply made me aware of how dangerous a weapon can be.

I DO think it's the responsiblity of the individual to take the lessons of their life and make good choices for their future.  The kid in the original story was in high school, more than old enough to know better.  I would be worried if I saw someone using a book like that and writing "DeathNote" style messages in it.  It would be very sad if the seriousness of his actions was overlooked because it's similar to a manga.  I hope that this person is getting help now.

However, like I said.  These are my opinions, based on my experiences.  They don't always hold true for everyone. 
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Jun-Watarase

I'm okay with the idea of teaching my kid how to operate guns and firearms-- but I'd do it just for that reason, rather than using that knowledge to introduce the value of life and understanding death. It's almost a completely different perspective. I understand that MOST kids, if raised typically by most standards, that are given the responsibility of knowing how to use a gun, they'd most likely never shoot anyone... They would most likely already understand life and death, and the damage guns and firearms can do.

"The best way to prevent a kid from picking up a gun and either hurting themselves or others is to put a gun in their hands at a young age. Teach them to respect firearms and that firearms kill. Teach them about death instead of sheltering them from it, and then instill into them a respect for life." is what Braveheart had said.

I might've over-analyzed the first time I read this, but I had the impression that guns were going to used as a medium to teach the value of life. If we were taught to respect life through guns, I'd interpret as life being worthy to those that deserve respect. (Not that I think this way, myself.) But I suppose I'd only suspect a kid to think this way if they were heavily influenced by their parents.

Kids aren't extremely sheltered, now-a-days. I'm sure they'd learn about life, death, and humanity (though, it's deteriorating...) through other people, school, media, and etc. I'm not against the idea of teaching a kid how to use a gun, but I am a bit iffy on the idea of teaching about life through guns-- different people interpret it in different ways. As for exposure to violence, I'd show them a scary/violent movie, but not for a life lesson or just exposing them to violence... just entertainment.

I'd still say The Iron Giant is the movie for that. Gooood movie...

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

FinalShadows

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on November 30, 2007, 04:42:46 AM

I'd still say The Iron Giant is the movie for that. Gooood movie...

I definitely agree... just don't like seeing it rerunned 5 times a day on Cartoon Network lol
Who should I call next? The Shrimp?

mDuo13

Hmm. Yeah, without knowing the context of the show, this can seem particularly incriminating. If the person actually wishes his Death Note were to work, then there are problems. I'm not convinced that's the case here based on only a short news clip.

Funny thing, though, it's not giving anime a bad name because the clip pretty much glossed over the manga and anime, and instead focused on the website.

Honestly, though, a senior in high school ought to know better.

FinalShadows

I was watching this one documentary this other day, which was talking about the Columbine High School Shooting.

Apparently, since that day, there were students who were suspended from school for a possible "upbringing" of an offensive violence, such as pointing a fake paper gun at someone, threatening the teacher, even cussing. The video shows a 2nd grader suspended from an elementary school in Colorado because he made a fake paper gun.

At least people after the Columbine High School Shooting got Walmart to stop selling ammunition =P

aznmagic2015

Quote from: FinalShadows on November 30, 2007, 01:32:35 PM

I definitely agree... just don't like seeing it rerunned 5 times a day on Cartoon Network lol

Lol 5 times a day...I remember a day in summer when I was High School where they showed Iron Giant NON STOP for a day.

JohnnyAR

Quote from: aznmagic2015 on December 04, 2007, 10:44:53 PM

Lol 5 times a day...I remember a day in summer when I was High School where they showed Iron Giant NON STOP for a day.

My god that was so friggin annoying, what do they think they can accomplish by showing THE same movie all day?

FinalShadows

Quote from: JohnnyAR on December 05, 2007, 06:25:24 AM
Quote from: aznmagic2015 on December 04, 2007, 10:44:53 PM

My god that was so friggin annoying, what do they think they can accomplish by showing THE same movie all day?

Sympathy for machines. At least now we wont be hating Super Huge Giant Robots when they appear...

JohnnyAR

No one won't want to mess with Japan within the next 100 years or so, because by then they'll have Mobile Suit Gundam military units made and ready to go!

Jun-Watarase

I totally regret... bringing up the Iron Giant, now. Thanks.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

JohnnyAR

FinalShadows

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on December 06, 2007, 07:11:51 AM
I totally regret... bringing up the Iron Giant, now. Thanks.

Did you say something about the Iron Giant?  ???

XpHoBiaX

It's society's fualt. You keep harassing someone and they will fight back. Sometimes, just loosing a job and having a bunch of other unfortunate events can make a person loose it.
The world isn't a nice place, and not everyone is a strong person that can pull through the shit that life flings at you. Or they are strong, and just suddenly break down.

Yeah, we have to be on our guard nowadays... but the blame shouldn't be put on tv, movies, music, etc. For the most part, it starts with us. It's starts in the families, and the people we are around. Yeah you can't help or change everyone. But a smile and a thankyou goes a long way. Taking the time to open that door for someone, or just being there for a troubled friend or sibling does go a long way. People just don't do that anymore, and rather  be biligerant asses.

Dagger-6

Puppies.

That's the solution.

Puppies.

Either that or:

I'm sorry.  I'll go back to studying now.

XpHoBiaX

Crazy_Saiko

<br />Please, PM me if you\'re curious.