Suspended for "Death Note"?

Started by FinalShadows, November 27, 2007, 10:05:21 PM

PyronIkari

Congrats at degrading a semi-serious thread to image macros and /b/.

-_-

bunnycorpse

that's really messed up, you cant suspend a person for wishing death upon a person. It doesn't meen anything's actually gonna happen. That's seems like something that could possibly be protected by the constitution, the whole free speech thing.
Hell, i've been wishing people dead since i was in the second grade; drawing pictures of people and stabbing them with forks- it's a good stress release. ;D

FinalShadows

Quote from: bunnycorpse on December 13, 2007, 09:43:35 PM
that's really messed up, you cant suspend a person for wishing death upon a person. It doesn't meen anything's actually gonna happen. That's seems like something that could possibly be protected by the constitution, the whole free speech thing.
Hell, i've been wishing people dead since i was in the second grade; drawing pictures of people and stabbing them with forks- it's a good stress release. ;D

Lol, its their way of relating:

Stopping the upbringing of hate = no violence
               they take it as:
Stopping the attempted suicide = no suicide
Who should I call next? The Shrimp?

PyronIkari

You people REALLY need to understand what "freedom of speech" entails if you're going to throw it around like this.

Wishing death upon someone in itself isn't against the law. Drawing pictures of them or writing their name in a book with the basis like that hoever, isn't the same as "I hope you get run over". It's basically a death threat or a proclaimation of "If I could kill you, then I would" which is very much against the law.

And frankly... if the only way you can relieve stress is by drawing pictures of you killing someone that "upsets" you... then holy crap I feel sorry for you, and suggest you seek professional help. That's anything BUT a healthy mentallity.

Raydere

that's really messed up, you cant suspend a person for wishing death upon a person. [...] That's seems like something that could possibly be protected by the constitution, the whole free speech thing.
I suppose these also qualify as being protected by the First Amendment:
- Terrorist threats, right after 9/11
- School shooting threats, right after Colombine or VT
- Dropping the F-bomb on a policeman
- Publishing slanderous, made-up rumors in a newspaper
- Revealing top-secret government secrets
Raydere / Raymoo, purveyor of crazy Japanese music games
Twitter: @Raydere | Tumblr: raydere2

Jun-Watarase

Aren't you like... 14 years old? Meaning, you're in high school and should be old enough to understand what the first amendment applies to. Neither you or this kid seem to know better. The freedom to express oneself, isn't against the law, but threats to kill others ARE. There's no reason why a school shouldn't call attention to something that threatens the safety of other students. The school isn't going to think, "Oh. He's just angsty and wants people dead... Doesn't mean he's going to do it!" Yeah. The school could totally take that chance.

A school isn't a democracy. Freedom of expression, and etc don't always apply-- that's why there are bans for certain gestures (Flipping the bird), phrases (Threats or distractions), words (Curse words), and clothing (Provocative, inappropriate, distracting clothing.) Students may make school society with your peers the way it is, but teachers and faculty manage everything within the school. They run the show, and they make the decisions. Students typically aren't mature enough to maintain a sufficient environment like the faculty does. If the faculty sees a problem that could potentially harm others in the school, namely other students, there's no reason why they shouldn't do anything about it. It's their job to protect the school. Really, if it was any worse of a threat, he'd get expelled... not suspended.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

sonyatheunicorn

Crud im using my school computer
ill watch it later

aznmagic2015

Quote from: G.S. LXVIII on December 14, 2007, 03:11:33 AM
I suppose these also qualify as being protected by the First Amendment:
- Terrorist threats, right after 9/11
- School shooting threats, right after Colombine or VT
- Dropping the F-bomb on a policeman
- Publishing slanderous, made-up rumors in a newspaper
- Revealing top-secret government secrets

Actually swearing at the police isn't a crime. People were prosecuted for it before but now some Appeals court overturned it and declared swearing at a police officer is disrespectful but not criminal.

bunnycorpse

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on December 14, 2007, 08:21:02 AM

Aren't you like... 14 years old? Meaning, you're in high school and should be old enough to understand what the first amendment applies to. Neither you or this kid seem to know better. The freedom to express oneself, isn't against the law, but threats to kill others ARE. There's no reason why a school shouldn't call attention to something that threatens the safety of other students. The school isn't going to think, "Oh. He's just angsty and wants people dead... Doesn't mean he's going to do it!" Yeah. The school could totally take that chance.

A school isn't a democracy. Freedom of expression, and etc don't always apply-- that's why there are bans for certain gestures (Flipping the bird), phrases (Threats or distractions), words (Curse words), and clothing (Provocative, inappropriate, distracting clothing.) Students may make school society with your peers the way it is, but teachers and faculty manage everything within the school. They run the show, and they make the decisions. Students typically aren't mature enough to maintain a sufficient environment like the faculty does. If the faculty sees a problem that could potentially harm others in the school, namely other students, there's no reason why they shouldn't do anything about it. It's their job to protect the school. Really, if it was any worse of a threat, he'd get expelled... not suspended.
i suppose you should not mentioned the amendments. You see though I am 14, i hopped schoold through 8th grade and never took the standard U.S. Constitution Test and was never taught what went on on it or around it. It seems i've used it rather loosely, and i apologise for i seem to do  thing like that quite often.
But it still the school really overeacted. I meen hasn't everybody wished at least ONE person dead in their life. Also, the wish is usually encouraged by a recent conflict between the two people and if the rage passes the wish may be forgotten forever.

bunnycorpse

Quote from: PyronIkari on December 13, 2007, 11:09:01 PM
You people REALLY need to understand what "freedom of speech" entails if you're going to throw it around like this.

Wishing death upon someone in itself isn't against the law. Drawing pictures of them or writing their name in a book with the basis like that hoever, isn't the same as "I hope you get run over". It's basically a death threat or a proclaimation of "If I could kill you, then I would" which is very much against the law.

And frankly... if the only way you can relieve stress is by drawing pictures of you killing someone that "upsets" you... then holy crap I feel sorry for you, and suggest you seek professional help. That's anything BUT a healthy mentallity.
Thats still and "if" though. It's not really a threat unless you actuallu tell them too. It's just a "wish you would die" thing.

i am not mentally unhealthy, come on i was only like eight. Infact i became freinds with that girl later on. Well, until she said i should'nt be allowed to play softball because i was making our team lose. I wonder what ever happend to that girl, hmm...

PyronIkari

Quote from: bunnycorpse on December 14, 2007, 10:36:42 PM
i suppose you should not mentioned the amendments. You see though I am 14, i hopped schoold through 8th grade and never took the standard U.S. Constitution Test and was never taught what went on on it or around it. It seems i've used it rather loosely, and i apologise for i seem to do  thing like that quite often.
But it still the school really overeacted. I meen hasn't everybody wished at least ONE person dead in their life. Also, the wish is usually encouraged by a recent conflict between the two people and if the rage passes the wish may be forgotten forever.

No, they did not overreact. Didn't you read any of the older posts that were made about why they should care, preventive action, unstable mentallities... etc. etc. etc.

Things like this expand and grow up and create killers, and other kinds of sociopaths. Hasn't everyone wished someone dead? Yes... did you not read what I said again? Wishing someone dead, is different than drawing them being murdered, listing names in a book that fictionally would kill them. Unbalanced mentallities(and again I would say this, I think you are one of these people if you're drawing pictures of people being murdered for things that are probably rather minor).

bunnycorpse

Quote from: PyronIkari on December 14, 2007, 10:49:38 PM

No, they did not overreact. Didn't you read any of the older posts that were made about why they should care, preventive action, unstable mentallities... etc. etc. etc.

Things like this expand and grow up and create killers, and other kinds of sociopaths. Hasn't everyone wished someone dead? Yes... did you not read what I said again? Wishing someone dead, is different than drawing them being murdered, listing names in a book that fictionally would kill them. Unbalanced mentallities(and again I would say this, I think you are one of these people if you're drawing pictures of people being murdered for things that are probably rather minor).
my thoughts are plain and simple, is it not better to dream of killing, write of killing and illiustrate killing than to actually kill?

JohnnyAR

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: bunnycorpse on December 14, 2007, 10:52:45 PM

my thoughts are plain and simple, is it not better to dream of killing, write of killing and illiustrate killing than to actually kill?

Er, do you have difficulty understanding that... simply wishing death upon someone, saying the words "I wish you were dead" are possibly  viewed upon DIFFERENTLY than threatening to kill someone, saying "I'm going to kill you", or drawing/writing things about killing someone specifically?

So, you're telling me... if I a student came up to you and told you straight out, "Hey. I'm gonna kill you later.", or you find plans of them killing you... you're not going to inform your school faculty to the authorities? WHY SHOULD YOU, RIGHT? Because that's totally overreacting!

These people may not be familiar with Death Note, but it's still a threat. If you take a look at someone's personal imitation of a Death Note... what do you see? A list of names of people you want dead, and better yet, sometimes even DETAILED DESCRIPTIONS on how you want that person to die! But is it possible that they're just writing it, and not really going to kill them? Sure, but they're not going to take that risk. If you read anything about my previous post, you would've learned by now that it's the faculty's JOB to protect the students. Somehow you find a mere suspension too much of a punishment? You get suspensions for pulling someone's hair, which is NOTHING compared to a death threat.

Or are we still wrong? Hell, is the school, faculty, police, authorities... no, is LAW wrong? Damn, seriously. I don't know if I can handle living in a country where a rash 14 year-old girl (that should seek psychological assistance) is the only one right about this.

Then you should be a sophomore. They do World History in freshman year, then US History in sophomore year. The year's almost over... and the first thing you would've learned was about The Constitution, The Bill of Rights, and etc. What is your school teaching you?

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Crazy_Saiko

<br />Please, PM me if you\'re curious.

JohnnyAR

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on December 15, 2007, 12:01:12 AM

Then you should be a sophomore. They do World History in freshman year, then US History in sophomore year. The year's almost over... and the first thing you would've learned was about The Constitution, The Bill of Rights, and etc. What is your school teaching you?

okies

bunnycorpse

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on December 15, 2007, 12:01:12 AM
Quote from: bunnycorpse on December 14, 2007, 10:52:45 PM

Er, do you have difficulty understanding that... simply wishing death upon someone, saying the words "I wish you were dead" are possibly  viewed upon DIFFERENTLY than threatening to kill someone, saying "I'm going to kill you", or drawing/writing things about killing someone specifically?

So, you're telling me... if I a student came up to you and told you straight out, "Hey. I'm gonna kill you later.", or you find plans of them killing you... you're not going to inform your school faculty to the authorities? WHY SHOULD YOU, RIGHT? Because that's totally overreacting!

These people may not be familiar with Death Note, but it's still a threat. If you take a look at someone's personal imitation of a Death Note... what do you see? A list of names of people you want dead, and better yet, sometimes even DETAILED DESCRIPTIONS on how you want that person to die! But is it possible that they're just writing it, and not really going to kill them? Sure, but they're not going to take that risk. If you read anything about my previous post, you would've learned by now that it's the faculty's JOB to protect the students. Somehow you find a mere suspension too much of a punishment? You get suspensions for pulling someone's hair, which is NOTHING compared to a death threat.

Or are we still wrong? Hell, is the school, faculty, police, authorities... no, is LAW wrong? Damn, seriously. I don't know if I can handle living in a country where a rash 14 year-old girl (that should seek psychological assistance) is the only one right about this.

right... i get confused kinda easily, so i'm just gonna admit defeat in this debate cause i dont even know where we are.

As for things to be suspended for, pulling someones hair? really, i done worse and i've never even had a detention.
Also my schools have taught me various things at weird times. I've been through the lowest of the curriculum in a small mormun school in the middle of nowhere up to a huge public school renouned for it's high test scores.

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: bunnycorpse on December 15, 2007, 06:39:22 PM
right... i get confused kinda easily, so i'm just gonna admit defeat in this debate cause i dont even know where we are.

As for things to be suspended for, pulling someones hair? really, i done worse and i've never even had a detention.
Also my schools have taught me various things at weird times. I've been through the lowest of the curriculum in a small mormun school in the middle of nowhere up to a huge public school renouned for it's high test scores.

Pulling hair, slapping, etc... They're all considered assaults, so the school has the right to give you suspension. As for doing anything worse and getting away with it, that's just your school being lenient-- but they have incentive to punish you. America has laws for these in hopes of pleasing everybody, creating a safe environment for people to live in etc etc... but not everybody wants to play by their rules.

A friend of mine almost got expelled for self-defense, when another student was trying to beat him up. The school saw it as, "You two boys are fighting and disrupting the peace in our school. We should kick you both out!" until he got pissed, called the cops on the teachers, and had them explain that he shouldn't be punished for self-defense.

FanimaidCafe.com

Raydere

Gotta love high schools' rules on fighting. It doesn't matter if you didn't instigate the fight, nor if you fought back for the sole purpose of defending yourself. Better to be dead or critically injured than protect yourself from harm.
Raydere / Raymoo, purveyor of crazy Japanese music games
Twitter: @Raydere | Tumblr: raydere2

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: G.S. LXVIII on December 16, 2007, 09:57:24 PM
Better to be dead or critically injured than protect yourself from harm.

Now-a-days, it's pretty much true. People tend to look your way when they can pity you as a victim, but when you're perfectly fine, they'll just feel that you're whining.

FanimaidCafe.com