Vlad the Impaler

Started by JohnnyAR, November 28, 2007, 07:28:46 PM

JohnnyAR

I was gonna say something unrelated but it does have something to do with being psychotic in the suspended for Death Note? thread but thought oh heck I'm just gonna start a Vlad thread instead.

Vlad III the Impaler is one of THE most psychotic Kings in the middle ages. Don't belive me look it up everywhere possible I read a book about the most craziest kings and queens of the middle ages and when I found Vlad there was a part where he killed 1/3 of his own people for fun, made a fashion out of impaling people, torured small animals and impaled them on small stakes.

zoupzuop2

Quote from: JohnnyAR on November 28, 2007, 07:28:46 PM
Vlad III the Impaler is one of THE most psychotic Kings in the middle ages. He... tortured small animals and impaled them on small stakes.

That's called Breakfast for me. ;3
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

JohnnyAR

lol, no the stake I'm talking about is a type of spear that you would use to impale stuff with.

PyronIkari

Quote from: JohnnyAR on November 28, 2007, 07:51:20 PM
lol, no the stake I'm talking about is a type of spear that you would use to impale stuff with.

Congrats at missing the Joke. Vlad wasn't that bad for doing things like that. He was notable for drinking blood and doing things to people.

Many kings/rulers/tyrants did the things you listed.

zoupzuop2

Quote from: JohnnyAR on November 28, 2007, 07:51:20 PM

I know. I like my prey to be alive, gives me the thrill of the hunt. ^^ STEAK comes later.
Just messin'. :3
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

gmontem

I wonder if Vlad was a good cook, with his dinner being at stake and all. :P
Fanimafia Avatar of the Week #15: Barnes
The Fanimafia Gallery (2002-3, 7)

i feel so loved!

JohnnyAR

But he did stuff to the max and executed people himself, I think

Dagger-6

But he did it for a purpose.

His city was so crime free he could leave a golden goblet out overnight and nobody would steal it, something he was purportedly quite proud of.

In that respect, he was not that much different from say, Saddam Hussein, who used force and intimidation to maintain order and often was directly involved in the violence.

Psychotic implies a break from reality.  Vlad the Impaler probably knew exactly what he was doing and the effects of it.  The only particularly odd thing was the drinking of blood, but then again there was that one queen that bathed in the blood of virgins to remain young, so if that's the basis for insanity, there's people just as deep in the pool as he was.  Not to mention the various cultures that believed devouring the body parts of enemies would grant them power and so forth.

Kegan_Flame

I'm reading a book right now called 'The Historian' by Elizabeth Kostova about Vlad the Impaler and how he was Dracula (Drakula) and all that.. it's really interesting, The name means 'Son of the Dragon'.. (it's a fictitious book, but she did some good research on him) His father gave him over as a hostage to the turks when he was small and that's said to be where he first got his love for his form of torture. The Book Dracula that was written "about Vlad" has almost no historical backing or research, Bram Stoker basically just took the name and the blood drinking thing and ran with it. he took from the myths and legends about those type of creatures of the like, but nothing really pertained to Vlad... Still, kool story. :)

Nightroad

Good ol' Vald, he actually only ruled his country for a handful of years, he fought the Turks (the bad guys of the day) and would have been completely forgotten if not for Bram Stocker, who wrote Dracula. Its a fluke he wrote the book at all, Bram was a sickly chid and almost died at a young age, he got over his sickness though, travel and wrote Dracula!!! If you like Vald try finding the movie, Prince of Darkness: The True Story of Dracula. Its not actually the TRUE story but its close and its VERY good!!! I liked it alot! ;D
Check out my fairly rescent DA account!
I wanna see my fanime friends on there!
http://robotdreams.deviantart.com/

Sai_The_Righteous

Vlad the Impaler is cool...
hehe

gwar made a song about him thats pretty damn awesome ^_^

XpHoBiaX

GWAR!  ;D Awesomeness. Now that's Psychotic. O_o

I just watched a history cahannel thing on Vlad. I like reading about that sort of thing.

JohnnyAR

If it wasn't for him England wouldn't really be what it is today.

Nightroad

No it wouldn't. THREE CHEERS FOR VALD!!!!!!!!
Check out my fairly rescent DA account!
I wanna see my fanime friends on there!
http://robotdreams.deviantart.com/

abcbadcat

ctrl + f: battlebots

"not found"

Emerge

Quote from: abcbadcat on January 03, 2008, 06:49:46 PM
ctrl + f: battlebots

"not found"

sad, isn't it?

this bot ANNIHILATED the arena. he had a forklift AND a re-flipping mechanism. ownage.