Chun is a Procrastinating Deviant Update - 8/04/08

Started by Chun, November 29, 2007, 06:56:39 AM

Chun

http://ffovchun.deviantart.com/

JYANG JYANG JYAAAAAAAAAANG.

It's my random Sakura Micron Pen works. I've only had a few things scanned up since 2002, but anything is better than nothing, I suppose.

My latest piece is http://ffovchun.deviantart.com/art/Akiha-Futari-no-Matsuri-70943462

Come take a look if you like.

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

PyronIkari

Quote from: Chun on November 29, 2007, 06:56:39 AM
http://ffovchun.deviantart.com/

JYANG JYANG JYAAAAAAAAAANG.

It's my random Sakura Micron Pen works. I've only had a few things scanned up since 2002, but anything is better than nothing, I suppose.

My latest piece is http://ffovchun.deviantart.com/art/Akiha-Futari-no-Matsuri-70943462

Come take a look if you like.

~Chun

I don't know what I find more humorous, the fact that my 8 yr old niece draws better, or the ogre like hand of Akiha. It was as if Allen Walker momentarilly lent Akiha his hand o' giganto awesome.

But seriously... it's terrible.

gmontem

Quote from: PyronIkari on November 29, 2007, 08:58:21 AMI don't know what I find more humorous, the fact that my 8 yr old niece draws better, or the ogre like hand of Akiha. It was as if Allen Walker momentarilly lent Akiha his hand o' giganto awesome.

Quote from: sysadmin on October 24, 2007, 06:11:21 PM
OK: Praising and being positive for something posted here.
OK: Constructive Criticism and feedback
Not OK: Being overly mean or being a jerk.  Go to byo/b/
Fanimafia Avatar of the Week #15: Barnes
The Fanimafia Gallery (2002-3, 7)

i feel so loved!

Chun

I somehow expected more of you Pyron, considering you strive a principle of tactless comments, but also giving criticism where it's due. Telling me it's terrible tells me NOTHING, insulting me by comparing hilarity to your niece as well. What about it?

I do not see any of the latter constructive critique you usually provide. A little disappointing.

Any other criticisms are appreciated.

~Chun

PyronIkari

Or you're not paying attention... I thought you'd be able to figure it out but I guess not, I'll spell it out to you.

You have no concept of proportions. My comments about how gigantically huge and mishapen the hand is should have cued you into that, but I guess you didn't pick up on it.

With that major issue, you have... a bunch of jagged lines with no shape or sense of placement. Again... perportion. Head size, to body, to hands...

Maybe I gave your comprehension skills a little too much credit... then again, I did last time as well.

Chun

Besides the comment about the disproportionate Hand, you offered nothing else.

The following post has supplemented any other anomalies. I can't read minds.

~Chun

Tony

Quote from: PyronIkari on November 29, 2007, 08:58:21 AMI don't know what I find more humorous, the fact that my 8 yr old niece draws better, or the ogre like hand of Akiha. It was as if Allen Walker momentarilly lent Akiha his hand o' giganto awesome.

Quote from: sysadmin on October 24, 2007, 06:11:21 PM
OK: Praising and being positive for something posted here.
OK: Constructive Criticism and feedback
Not OK: Being overly mean or being a jerk.  Go to byo/b/

[moderator]
Precisely!
Exiled to byo/b/ for a week.
[/moderator]
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

mDuo13

I'm not the most qualified to offer helpful comments here (as my art, when I do it, is not significantly better than yours) but I think what you need is mostly more hand control, i.e. you need to draw a lot more often so that you'll train your hand enough that the lines aren't all wobbly.

Do you sketch things' shapes out before you start filling them in? I know it's a pain, but it can make a huge difference in getting the perspective right. Of course, you still will probably have to draw the outlines over many times before you get them right, if you're like me, but I think you'll be able to improve in time.

Don't forget that even though the characters appear as 2d, in their own worlds, they're three-dimensional, so you have to take into account how things would look. In your Youmu study sketch, the feet don't look 3d at all; you should consider using real feet (or at least shoes) to model what they look like from the angle you've chosen.

Also, if it's a pleated skirt, don't simply draw the outline and then fill it in with texture. The pleating actually causes the bottom edge to be shaped more like _/\-/_\-/_ if that makes sense.

In general, you should look at expert/professional artists to get a sense for how they draw details - such as eyes, hands, certain bits of clothing - and practice sketching those until you get them right. In fact, overall... I hear you saying sometimes that you've been meaning to do some practice sketches but haven't gotten around to it... and just putting them off is not the way to improve. To put it simply: practice, practice, practice.

Tur713

Hey, you're art's coming along. How long have you been working on your anime style? I can see improvement from your first one in your gallery to your most recent. Keep it up and you'll be fine.
Founder - Fanime Dating Dojo

XpHoBiaX

You artwork is very good. It shows promise. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE is all I have to say. I have faith in you, and there is a lot of potential.  Try to draw off the top of your head, make up your own characters. Take some time to go outside and draw things you see as a warm up. lol Eventually the disproportion will line up. Also, try to stand away from your work while you are drawing. You'll be able to see what isn't right and fix it. Or lift the paper up and look at your drawing at arms width away. Don't draw too hard either.

that is pretty much what I do.

I understand that it takes a lot of time and effort, and a lot of confidence to show off your work. IMO, you need to find a comfortable style for yourself and work on it. Or make your own. You're doing just fine dear.

lmc

Regarding the wobbly lines, just keep practicing. The more you draw, the more steady and confident your lines should become.

As for improving, it takes a while and it's gradual. If you want to improve and you keep practicing, you will. It's all a matter how much hard work you put into it. That said, get to drawing from life. Study proportions, perspective, color theory, etc. And don't just rely on anime/manga as a learning source. Anime/manga, while greatly varying in terms of style, is always a distortion of real life (really, unless you're drawing from life, you're taking what's in your head and putting it on paper). You can't properly distort something if you have no idea how it really works, can you?

Oh, another tip as to how to check if something looks wonky, try flipping the paper over and looking through it with a light. Flipping images helps point out any obvious errors that may trick your eye at first.

gazerock.is.not.dead

i'm not really one that can help much, but studying some anatomy would be great help. dA has some great tutorials that would deffinately be worth looking at. another thing i suggest is to use referance when drawing. i'm probably going to be shot for saying this but practice makes perfect. it'd be cool if you could check out my art and maybe give some input too: http://aneishikaku.deviantart.com

sunrise-oasis

OMFG i don't know who made up these crappy SH!TTY excuses for an artist....
Listen....
My friend told me this many times and I guess it took a while for me to understand this.....
...breathes..

Your artwork is your artwork....
their artworks is their artwork..

I don't care if its crappy or good, but i do care is that you are putting some effort into it...
SOMEONE told my sister why she put stickers on a sketch board that will soon be Trashed..
My sister is now feeling heartbroken because her sketch book has her artworks....
its heartbroken to have * A F LI cking Obnoxious Artist,  telling a new artist whos trying their best, that their artworks are crap.
IM sorry for my langauge but just today im just heartbroken seeing someone responding saying *My 8 year old can beat your drawing*..
My sister is younger than mebut older than HER!!!! and her artwork is getting somewhere!!!!!....

Promise me not to feel bad...I mean, i know you have an immunity from people doing harsh crtiques but somehow they really do hurt v_v.........
Anyway...your artwork is doing great.........
if your curious about my style your wlcome to check out
http://sunrise-oasis.deviantart.com

Note im still improving as hard as I can..... if people say my works are horrible, I just keep doing better and better. Hey the good news is..your better than those who cannot DRAW!

ArynChris

Bleh.  I'm 20, I picked up drawing back in November.  I've drawn maybe a hundred characters (most of them GaiaOnline avatars, freebie art), and I've seen significant improvement in my own work, despite having to stop dead for a week or two here and there because my hand is messed up.  Practice is the only way to improve consistently, no two ways about it.  I picked up a couple manga art books (how to draw women, and how to draw men), which has also helped, but you still have to practice to remember all the details.  I still use the eraser a lot before inking.

On Akiha, I'd say the arm is a bit malformed.  The size of the hand is more male than female, yes, but the forearm could use some more work, too.  You have it bulging suddenly toward the elbow after being straight, the straight part should be more angled. :D  And instead of bulging both above and below, chose one.  Try looking in the mirror, posing your own arm that way, to see how it looks.  You'll still have to adjust how you draw it, if you're drawing a female character (smaller, softer, probably thinner and definitely rounder), but it will give you a better idea.  Maybe you have a sister or female friend you can ask to pose for you?  I'm learning to draw guys, and I'll be honest--<.<  >.>  <.<--I use pictures of my boyfriend to help.  It makes a big difference, even though he looks nothing like the guys I'm trying to draw, simply because he's the right gender.

OniCourseMusha

U draw much smoother than me cuz I tend to draw fast.
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

Shinsengumi

Not bad, not bad at all, I suck at drawing but that's pretty good. Keep up the good work man.
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

Devereaux

You draw better than I do but that's not necessarily what drove me to post...

...Your first name name is Phillip? I never would have guessed that. If I remember, prepare yourself to be called Phil next time I see you...
I 'ctrl' through Visual Novels to collect CG's so I can trick people into thinking I actually played the game.

Ari

Not bad, the only thing i can draw is stick figures pretty much... ^^ Keep practicing

short_storiesgl

Regaurdless of what Pyronikari says keep drawing.
i dont see him doing anything productve with his life other than the forums..

Anywho keep drawing.. you shall get better and better.
I draw and i dont have a DA.... maybe when i get a scanner i will lol who knows when this will happen.
Dance Staff Second

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: short_storiesgl on March 08, 2008, 03:41:08 PM
Regaurdless of what Pyronikari says keep drawing.
i dont see him doing anything productve with his life other than the forums..

What Mikey had said was too much, but what you had just said insulted both me and him personally. He probably doesn't care at all, but I do. Step off. Thanks for apologizing...

- - -

Anyways, practice makes perfect. If you have the will for it, you're bound for improvement. I couldn't draw or CG very well or much at all for a long time, but I started practicing this year. I missed your IM while I was sleeping, though... I'm sorry, and I was a bit disappointed to have missed it. But I drew this for you, and worked hard on it. It's not very good, but I hope it brightens your day and makes you feel better. ♥ ♡ ♥

Original sketch: http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee298/shoegazer_tokyo/chuntojunchan_sketch.jpg

Hope you find this post soon.

- Jun-chan

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com