To go, or not to go?

Started by 121911, November 30, 2007, 03:09:53 PM

Sorry if this is in the wrong place or something!
I'm planning on going to fanime 2008 for my birthday (which will be my first ever con), but none of my friends even watch anime/read manga, and since I'm home schooled it would be really difficult to make a friend or two that does. My brother said he would go and bring some of his friends so I don't have to go with just my mom, who doesn't know anything about anime. It's nice of him to offer, but I don't get along well with his friends...
So I'm wondering if I should just not go, or if I should go and hope that I meet one or more people to hang out with. The thing is that I sometimes get super shy, and I don't know how trying to meet new people would go. I'd probably be fine in one of those groups where there's mostly cosplayers from one specific series, but I really don't know exactly what those are like so I'm not sure. I don't know if this would change anything, but if I go I'll be cosplaying. If anyone can help me out that would be wonderful! ;D

Chaye

^^ you know what, you should just go. My friend started going to cons with her mom and she dragged me with her last year. Don't worry about not making friends or being shy (I'm uber shy when I'm not online) it's a great experience! I know you'll love it. and =X it's my second con, but first time at Fanime ^^; don't worry about it. come to have a great time! ^^ <3 besides! i can always steal you and we can wander Fanime together xD newb power lmao

AX Staff
Exhibit Hall: Asst Manager
o(≧∀≦)o

Mango Bunny

It's up to you, but people at Fanime are pretty friendly and sociable. I'm sure you wouldn't have trouble finding friends.

Quote from: Chaye on November 30, 2007, 04:10:27 PM
^^ you know what, you should just go. My friend started going to cons with her mom and she dragged me with her last year. Don't worry about not making friends or being shy (I'm uber shy when I'm not online) it's a great experience! I know you'll love it. and =X it's my second con, but first time at Fanime ^^; don't worry about it. come to have a great time! ^^ <3 besides! i can always steal you and we can wander Fanime together xD newb power lmao
;D Thanks so much! This helps me a lot!
That would be fun! Newb Power!!  :D

Quote from: Mango Bunny on November 30, 2007, 04:17:36 PM
It's up to you, but people at Fanime are pretty friendly and sociable. I'm sure you wouldn't have trouble finding friends.
'Kay Thanks! :)

Jun-Watarase

I'm going to sound incredibly jaded but read it through.

Honestly, Fanime isn't the "best place" to meet friends really. The majority of them are social outcasts and they show this at different anime conventions and the such. They're rather open and what not, but most of them aren't "good friends" even if they act friendly. It's got its share of social cliques, crowds and its fair share of assholes and the such.

Then again... so does school.

I dunno, go or not, just be smart about what you do, and don't let things overwhelm you. A lot of people when they go to a con see a lot of things and they're taught that "it's okay, this is a con you can do things like that", and that's not always the case. So if you do decide to go, don't do anything to stupid.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Chaye

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on November 30, 2007, 08:06:04 PM

Honestly, Fanime isn't the "best place" to meet friends really. The majority of them are social outcasts and they show this at different anime conventions and the such. They're rather open and what not, but most of them aren't "good friends" even if they act friendly. It's got its share of social cliques, crowds and its fair share of assholes and the such.

I dunno, go or not, just be smart about what you do, and don't let things overwhelm you. A lot of people when they go to a con see a lot of things and they're taught that "it's okay, this is a con you can do things like that", and that's not always the case. So if you do decide to go, don't do anything to stupid.

thats how it is at most cons though. I've made friends at the one I went to o.o; I don't see why you can't.

But it's your opinion and your entitled to it ^^

AX Staff
o(≧∀≦)o

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on November 30, 2007, 08:06:04 PM

Just about any place you go has things like that... But I'm not 100% sure I know what you mean by "social outcasts." But I wouldn't do something stupid just because I'm at a con, maybe something a little bit out-of-the-ordinary, if there is such a thing as ordinary. Anyways, thank you very much for your input! :)

Nanashi

You're welcome to come and chill with the OFNC (Official Fanime Ninja Clan). We're pretty friendly...as long as you aren't a pirate and/or narutard.
Co-Captain/"The one who talks too much" of MANime!
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,17203.0.html

Quote from: Nanashi on November 30, 2007, 10:19:25 PM
You're welcome to come and chill with the OFNC (Official Fanime Ninja Clan). We're pretty friendly...as long as you aren't a pirate and/or narutard.
Thanks for the offer! :D
;D lol
No, I'm not a narutard or a pirate, I do like Naruto though.

Chaye

Quote from: 121911 on November 30, 2007, 04:52:04 PM

xDDDD yay for teh newbiness!

AX Staff
o(≧∀≦)o

Quote from: Chaye on November 30, 2007, 10:42:47 PM

Yay, go newbs!!My mom got called a newb once, she got kinda upset! ;D lol

Chaye

Quote from: 121911 on November 30, 2007, 10:50:29 PM

lmfao!

I take being called a newb with newbish pride! -pumps fist into the air- I mean xD why bother trying to deny it. xP

AX Staff
o(≧∀≦)o

Quote from: Chaye on November 30, 2007, 10:51:46 PM

lmfao!

I take being called a newb with newbish pride! -pumps fist into the air- I mean xD why bother trying to deny it. xP
lol
My moms in denial! :o
I'm wearing the goggles I got for a Matt (Death Note) cosplay and I'm trying to type, and it's almost 11:00pm... and all the lights are turned off... and it's really really really hard... And yet, I don't want to take them off.

Chaye

Quote from: 121911 on November 30, 2007, 11:00:40 PM

lmfao!

lol
I'm wearing the goggles I got for a Matt (Death Note) cosplay and I'm trying to type, and it's almost 11:00pm... and all the lights are turned off... and it's really really really hard... And yet, I don't want to take them off.

o.o;;;; wow... xD I'd do that though when I get my lolita stuffz... totally wearing it around for no reason xD

AX Staff
o(≧∀≦)o

Quote from: Chaye on November 30, 2007, 11:02:02 PM

lmfao!

lol

o.o;;;; wow... xD I'd do that though when I get my lolita stuffz... totally wearing it around for no reason xD
Yeah, only problem is my brother keeps giving me weird looks. But the goggles are really comfortable! :D
lol  I look like such a dork right now!!
You're going to get lolita stuffz? Awesome!

Chaye

Quote from: 121911 on November 30, 2007, 11:08:06 PM

lmfao!

lol

Yeah, only problem is my brother keeps giving me weird looks. But the goggles are really comfortable! :D
Heck yes xD can't wait to get it either fwee~

AX Staff
o(≧∀≦)o

Quote from: 121911 on November 30, 2007, 11:08:06 PM

lmfao!

lol

I bet! ;D
Are you getting like, a whole outfit or what?

Chaye

Quote from: 121911 on November 30, 2007, 11:21:20 PM
I bet! ;D

I'm getting a dress, parisol, shoes... the works xD

AX Staff
o(≧∀≦)o

Quote from: Chaye on November 30, 2007, 11:22:39 PM
Quote from: 121911 on November 30, 2007, 11:21:20 PM
I bet! ;D

I'm getting a dress, parisol, shoes... the works xD
Ooohhh! A parisol too?! How cool!!!! :D