Ever wonder what you'd do during a zombie outbreak?

Started by Gatsby, December 02, 2007, 04:44:16 PM

Gatsby

Nice airsoft.  :D

I never thought about a costco. That's actually a wonderful idea if you are trapped in one. The only problem is that they are ever so crowded meaning infection rates could be high. That or you break into one in the middle of the night.

Jun-Watarase

Hahaha. I was actually referring to the fact that most of Colma's property is covered in cemeteries, IIRC. More dead than alive, not counting memorial parks. =P

Anyways, I own the Zombie Survival Guide, too. It's surprisingly informative and logical, but fictional entertainment. I am a HUGE fan of zombie flicks and George A. Romero films, but the idea of a zombie outbreak just frightens me. A lot of your ideas are solutions to helping you survive, but only for a limited time-- all of the ones I've read up in this thread either don't consider the other problems that may come with the idea, or have an eventual "dead end". Either that, or they just don't work, even from the beginning. Options typically narrow down to waiting to die, killing yourself, or progressing in a hopeless situation.

A few comments to make... hiding in malls. It may seem like salvation, but all malls are built differently. They don't always work like the ones in Dawn of the Dead. Having a large group of people would have its own problems too, as humanity and sanity is limited in a closed environment over long periods of time. =P There isn't much to prevent a small society to collapse, divide, and kill each other off eventually-- and everybody getting along doesn't work in reality.

A method like using fire to kill them off is a terrible idea, unless you're a huge pyromaniac that wants to value your last few seconds of life watching flaming zombies walk around. (Which, I guess would be a good enough reason.) Zombies don't feel pain, and what you'd result in is a flaming zombie moving and biting around, and probably setting a whole bunch of other things on fire. The fire would take a long-ass time to actually destroy the zombie, and you're actually better off with one that isn't on fire.

There was also mention of hiding places. One must keep in mind that there is a difference between hiding to not be seen, and hiding to survive. You'd need a space that you can survive LIVING in. There's another difference between hiding from a zombie with animal and hunting instincts, and being Jewish hiding from Nazis in WWII that can be tricked.

The hiding spaces suggested in nature are pretty good, though. In the forest, you'd have a good supply of food and you have the canopy of trees above you to rest in-- it's just difficult to navigate in and if you were to hear a helicopter above you, they wouldn't be able to spot you on time. Even if they did spot you, they would need a clearing to land in to rescue you. The mountains would be safe too, save the fact that you'd just be... alive and just that. In either case, if zombies were to swarm into your area, it's game over.

Here are some "rumors" to "dispel". Things mentioned like... animal-zombies. From what I see (outside of the Resident Evil BS), animals typically cannot handle the infection and just die. Zombies also can't swim, but they don't need to breathe underwater, either. They can just walk along the bottom of a lake or something, or wander into the ocean until they rot into pieces. They CAN float, though-- just not by breathing like we do. And as for zombies... from the EARTH-- their bodies would've rotted by then. The thing about zombies is that their brains (except the frontal lobe) need to be intact to actually function. And even then, all the dirt above them would probably hold them down, as zombies do not have super strength.

I could go on forever, but really... zombies don't exist. They're pretty fun to talk about and all, but in reality, if this were to happen, it's either we're f**ked or the government quarantined it in time and we never knew about it. Unless... this is what is predicted to happen in 2012? =O?!

No, I kid.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

VictimX

What about zombies like in 28 days later even though they never called them zombies but the "infected" its a virus and if it could happen I don't know but is more realistic then living dead zombies walking around.

Gatsby

But imagine if a virus WAS actually invented! We'd be screwed of course if it was released as it most likely would contaminate water sources, and what not. One concept I never even bother making a plan for is an outbreak of The Thing.

Dj Stormy Rayner

There are alot of theories about Zombie powder that is used in Haiti that is commonly used for voodoo some people think that governments are experimenting with it for chemical warfare which i think is more than likely possible. (sorry bit of a nut when it comes to paranormal and conspiracies) so i would say in likes of a Zombie outbreak you would want to get as far out of the city as possible make sure to stock up on supplies and weapons, and no i don't think you want to establish a base with anyone as most of you have learned for Zombie movies there is always the CRAZY that fucks everyone over and ends up getting themselves plus others in the group killed. personally i would stock up on supplies and weapons and make my way towards the ocean, aslong as you are on the ground you are likely for a attack and we all know zombies cant swim so the ocean would be a brilliant idea i think, but of course you WILL run out of supplies sooner or later so make sure you have a safe place to dock and make sure you have transportation available. i reckon thats what id do ^_^

Cheers,
Stormy.

FinalShadows

Who should I call next? The Shrimp?

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: VictimX on December 03, 2007, 09:54:10 PM
What about zombies like in 28 days later even though they never called them zombies but the "infected" its a virus and if it could happen I don't know but is more realistic then living dead zombies walking around.

What difference does it make? The threat is about the same.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

VictimX

I just ment that a viral infection tuning people mad was more possible then the dead just waking up and going after people for flesh, while the threat is about the same as far as panic and the spreading of the outbreak infected people would only last maybe a month before they died of hunger, zombies would last decades or more til they rotted and fell so given a viral outbreak we could highly out last them but it be hard to stay ahead of them and zombies we'd have to kill them all because they would never go away.

Kegan_Flame

If Zombies attacked I'd find victim and his gang and stay REAL close XD

mDuo13

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: mDuo13 on December 04, 2007, 07:17:25 PM
Wait, you mean Z-Day didn't already happen?

According to Max Brooks, World War Z already happened. D:

FanimaidCafe.com

Dagger-6

Emerge

i thought you were referring to the people who just want to buy cars and go to target for paper towels.

most uninterested facial expressions on people i've seen near home.

"give me a car."

"fill out this paperwork."

"ughhhhhhhhhhh....."

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: Emerge on December 04, 2007, 11:43:38 PM
i thought you were referring to the people who just want to buy cars and go to target for paper towels.

most uninterested facial expressions on people i've seen near home.

"give me a car."

"fill out this paperwork."

"ughhhhhhhhhhh....."

And somehow you fail to notice that when you're in Colma, most of what you would see other than the mall, would be... cemeteries, memorial parks, and mortuaries? =|

FanimaidCafe.com

Emerge

interestingly enough, i hardly ever notice them anymore.

and hey, my grandma used to call it "Disneyland of the Dead". doesn't that sound like something you wouldn't wanna stay away from? ;D

BunofGovt

Just make sure you aim for the head.

I suspect zombies exist already in the southern states, everyone moves so slooowlly there already ... or maybe it's just the heat ...
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

JohnnyAR

Since I don't have a gun...........
I'll just have a go with my kitchen knives, the big ones! Grab my step-dad's car, it is really fast, drive to the closest available gun store and run over any zombies on the over their. Hunt them down when I get teh weapons.

JohnnyAR

Oh yeah the day when zombies actually come, we'll be dead, it won't happen for like 5,000 years. RLY

bunnycorpse

i think about that everynight befre i go to sleep. I now keep my rifle in my room just in case. ;D

JohnnyAR

Quote from: Dj Stormy Rayner on December 03, 2007, 10:42:22 PM
There are alot of theories about Zombie powder that is used in Haiti that is commonly used for voodoo some people think that governments are experimenting with it for chemical warfare which i think is more than likely possible. (sorry bit of a nut when it comes to paranormal and conspiracies) so i would say in likes of a Zombie outbreak you would want to get as far out of the city as possible make sure to stock up on supplies and weapons, and no i don't think you want to establish a base with anyone as most of you have learned for Zombie movies there is always the CRAZY that fucks everyone over and ends up getting themselves plus others in the group killed. personally i would stock up on supplies and weapons and make my way towards the ocean, aslong as you are on the ground you are likely for a attack and we all know zombies cant swim so the ocean would be a brilliant idea i think, but of course you WILL run out of supplies sooner or later so make sure you have a safe place to dock and make sure you have transportation available. i reckon thats what id do ^_^

Cheers,
Stormy.

Zombies can't climb stairs either, I hope.