Sunnyvale Golfland

Started by Nanashi, December 03, 2007, 11:55:29 AM

Nanashi

Quote from: abcbadcat on December 07, 2007, 03:42:34 AM
Eurobeat King: Your avatar, is that your actual car? If so, do you have any more pics and specs?

RyuHayabusa: I would go but I only have two weeks of school left and I really should start working on projects. Also Saturday morning/Wednesday Night arcade mania is $6.

GS68: Do you know when SVGL is getting their second WMMT3 cab? Any other new games at MGL?

Barnes: Both places are pretty good but I prefer MGL for fighitng game comp. Alot of people migrated from MGL to SVGL due to Initial D V4. But now I guess since MGL has IDV4 I don't know.

SVGL has four WMMT3 cabinets.

And as far as competition goes for fighting games, me and a friend of mine went to MGL awhile ago and wiped the floor with everyone there. Either we went on some bad days, or the players over there aren't as good as you guys claim they are.
Co-Captain/"The one who talks too much" of MANime!
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,17203.0.html

abcbadcat

Quote from: G.S. LXVIII on December 07, 2007, 11:34:33 AM
Quote from: abcbadcat on December 07, 2007, 03:42:34 AMGS68: Do you know when SVGL is getting their second WMMT3 cab? Any other new games at MGL?
They finally have 4 MT3 cabs (as does MGL), though if you want to see 4-player battles Wednesday's your best bet.

MGL got that new EA Nascar game (I'm more fond of the Sega one) and Gitadora V4.

Gitadora V4? GFDM V4?

lyricaldanichan

Oh god SVGL was so effing awesome during the 90s.. it is really sad to see how it is
all dispenser games and one row of fighting games and another for bemani.

sucks :(

abcbadcat

Quote from: lyricaldanichan on December 07, 2007, 07:21:33 PM
Oh god SVGL was so effing awesome during the 90s.. it is really sad to see how it is

What did it have before?

Eitherway... that row of Bemani games is pretty damn epic.

Also, don't forget t e hella good racing games!

Raydere

Well, they did have Dance ManiaX at one point, as well as PPP and PIU, now if I want those I have to fight my way down Montague Expressway and I-680 for it.
Raydere / Raymoo, purveyor of crazy Japanese music games
Twitter: @Raydere | Tumblr: raydere2

lyricaldanichan

Quote from: abcbadcat on December 07, 2007, 08:52:21 PM
Quote from: lyricaldanichan on December 07, 2007, 07:21:33 PM

What did it have before?

Eitherway... that row of Bemani games is pretty damn epic.

Also, don't forget t e hella good racing games!

They had a mix of everything, pinball, fighting games (well 2 rows of fighting games), larger cabnet games (shooters), row of
shooters, and later on bemani.

I dunno if Capcom still betas their games there, but SVGL would be the first for people to play their fighting games. Even the Capcom JP
team would go there to watch people play their games and take notes! This was during the Street Fighter days.. I miss that :(

I think Namco and Sega were beta their arcade games as well.

Spiritsnare

Quote from: G.S. LXVIII on December 07, 2007, 11:34:33 AMMGL got...Gitadora V4.

But both of their machines are nigh unplayable so it's as if they don't exist at all.
epic progressive

vox

Raydere

Quote from: Shinsengumi on December 07, 2007, 01:05:20 AM
Quote from: RyuHayabusa on December 06, 2007, 11:16:30 PM
Quote from: abcbadcat on December 06, 2007, 11:11:13 PM
As far as I remember, SVGL never had ParaPara. MGL still does though.

Not anymore. They sold the machine. If you want Para para, you have to go  to Nickel City in south san jose.

I like going to SVGL. The only thing i play is the star wars arcade machine lol

I've never beating that game, I could never beat the Battle of Hoth, or destroy the Death Star lol.
For the first Death Star: put the cursor on the red target thingy over the exhaust port, wait for a yellow circle to pop up on your cursor before you fire.
For the second one: Not much to say, aim carefully and quickly.
For the whole game: Use your non-dominant trigger finger to FIRE LIKE HELL.
Raydere / Raymoo, purveyor of crazy Japanese music games
Twitter: @Raydere | Tumblr: raydere2

Barnes

Bump. Found an interesting article about SVGL.

http://www.gametap.com/home/read/article/3293

QuoteNo Country for Old Arcades: Sunnyvale Golfland

A world renowned arcade in the heart of the Silicon Valley.
By: Jared Rea | jaredr
Jan 23, 2008
When Ben Kenny set out to establish his own brand of mini-golf centers in the 1950s, the term "videogame" wasn't yet part of our lexicon. Air hockey and mechanical pinball tables were sucking down quarters like no tomorrow at the Tucson, Arizona, golfing center, but these machines could never compare to what the advent of Pong would do for this burgeoning industry. A new expansion that opened in 1958 in Sunnyvale, California, placed the up-and-coming franchise in the heart of Silicon Valley and over the next 40 years, Golfland would become a part of Bay Area culture and videogame history. It's also the perfect place to begin the first entry in GameTap's look at arcades across the America.

Throughout the 1970s and '80s, Sunnyvale Golfland (SVGL) gained a well-deserved reputation for having the latest and greatest in arcade gaming. It was one of the first locations to jump on board with Pong and subscribe to the craze of Ms. Pac-Man--and these machines proved to be just as important to Golfland as the putting greens themselves. So important, in fact, that an entirely new building was constructed to hold the ever-expanding lineup; the original building was converted into the snack shack of today. For as much as the technology and the nature of the business have changed, one thing that hasn't is Golfland's family heritage. Jason Kenny, who inherited the business from his grandfather and father, is the current owner of Sunnyvale Golfland and has seen his business and the entire industry evolve.

"One of the main reasons why Sunnyvale Golfland has always been so hot for games is that all the major manufacturers are here," explains Kenny. "Capcom, Namco, Sega.... Sadly though, they're all gone." These names tend to come up regularly as we chat and deservingly so. Throughout arcade history, Capcom, Sega, and Namco have been three of the biggest arcade developers in the business. While all three are still hugely successful in the videogame space, they've all scaled back their arcade divisions to the point of obscurity--and in the case of Capcom, they've pulled out of the U.S. entirely. This exodus of manufacturers has not only put the hurt on arcades like Sunnyvale Golfland, but the players as well.

When I ask Jason how long SVGL has been the testing grounds for new games, he laughs and simply responds, "Forever. Atari and Midway, those guys would bring in raw machines. We'd help gather player feedback and they'd bring us updates a few times a week. They'd essentially develop the games here." Players would come out of the woodwork for these tests, and it wasn't out of the ordinary to see editors from magazines such as Electronic Gaming Monthly and Tips & Tricks poking around for the latest dish. Some manufacturers such as Sega would go so far as to fly out both executives and machines to see what the players of SVGL thought of their latest creations.

"Now, every once in a while we'll get a test, but the game is pretty much done."

Owner Jason Kenny keeps Sunnyvale Golfland in top condition.

Arcades may be on life support, but that doesn't stop dedicated players.

A huge factor in this is the industry's shift from videogames to redemption (or ticket) games, as both manufacturers and operators are overall less willing to take risks on expensive or untested titles. Since the dawn of the business, arcades have relied on showcasing the very latest in technology, but to do so now is to put the other foot in the grave. The visual gap between the arcade and home console markets has also ceased to exist, so in an attempt to lure players back into the arcades, manufacturers are going for broke with elaborate and at times costly setups. Tekken 6, for example, is due out in arcades this summer, but the price tag for the widescreen, HDTV setup has owners like Jason rethinking their methods.

"[Tekken 6] is about $15,000, and for a fighting game, that's tough," he explains. "In the past with something like say, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, that's an obvious slam dunk. We'd order two for every location." With your average arcade title costing around $5,000 a pop, operators were much more willing to take a risk on something that may have been slow to recoup the loss, because the arcade scene was more active. "The way we purchase now is a lot different. We've had to become much more strategic." Sunnyvale is still the first stop for new games, but it's also become something of a commercial testing ground for the rest of the Golfland franchise. Should a machine like Tekken 6 take off, they'll start purchasing it for their other locations. If not--well, nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say.

Despite the stream of titles slowing to a trickle over the past couple of years, the players of SVGL still come out in droves. Sunnyvale established itself long ago as a dedicated partner to manufacturers, but it's the passion of the location's user base that made a test so valuable for developers. From world class fighters to rhythm gaming savants, SVGL players are notorious for being some of the very best in the world at any given title. If a developer wanted its game to be broken, torn apart, and generally dissected in ways they could never imagine, they dropped it on Sunnyvale. Gamers have traveled from all around the world, including Japan, Korea, Australia, and India just to be pushed to their limits. And for as much as things have changed, that is one aspect that remains the same.

John Choi is one such player and has been a Sunnyvale regular for going on 15 years now. His accomplishments in the competitive gaming scene, particularly in Capcom's fighting titles, are well documented--he's a certified beast in Super Street Fighter II Turbo. When asked what keeps him coming back to SVGL, he instinctively replied, "The competition." Sticking to one arcade requires more than healthy competitors, though. "The owner, Jason, is a real good guy and they make sure to keep their machines in nice condition. You can have all the games you want, but if they're not well maintained, nobody will want to go there."

The general consensus is that arcades are dead, but when stepping into Sunnyvale Golfland your only clue as to the decline of arcade culture is the expanding section of ticket games, slowly crawling across the facility and claiming more space. For the dedicated, there is no substitute for the social camaraderie and experience that arcades have continued to provide for more than 30 years now and will continue to do so for some time to come.

[For more photos of Sunnyvale Golfland, please visit the Flickr set from our photographer, Oscar Chang. Thanks!]
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

PyronIkari

Barnes: You realize that... the writer of that post on these forums right?

Hahaha, that's kinda funny though, I ran into John Choi Tuesday night when I went out to dinner. We talked about how no one goes to SVGL anymore, and he told me secret locations of where all the people go to play now.

Jerry

Rebecca Chamers (from resident evil 1) - " OOOOHHHH  A SECRET MEETING !!!! "

probably the only person who would get that would be Karisma_Black or LadyKaren...  :P
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

DemonLordZabuza

Quote from: Jerry on January 24, 2008, 06:31:21 PM
Rebecca Chamers (from resident evil 1) - " OOOOHHHH  A SECRET MEETING !!!! "

probably the only person who would get that would be Karisma_Black or LadyKaren...  :P

I get it...well, only because I had to sit through it...but thats me :P...haha secret locations...less annoying people around then :D

"Even a demon can learn to love."
-Me

zoupzuop2

Heh. I remember when I was a wee DDR n00blet, SVGL and MGL were some of the biggest names in the West Coast.

Maybe I should practice freestyle, just to commemorate some of the tourneys that once took place in that vein (and possibly revive the DDR scene)
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

OniCourseMusha

SVGL feels bleh....
I used to remember one of those time when me and my friends were one of the few people got to try out DDR Extreme when it barely came out and being rare at the time plus we were noobs at the time.
Now I would just go there if i want to try out Bemani stuff.
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

Golden State Warrior

I used to frequent the Sunnyvale Golfland when I was a kid. I should visit again, just for good time's sake. Maybe when Street Fighter IV is released.