Call of Duty 4, Tourny? Casual Play?

Started by addy, December 07, 2007, 05:27:14 PM

addy

Hey, i think it'd be a great idea if there was a cod4 tourny. I might be hopeing for too much but who would be interested?? Am i the only one?? if not tournament at least have some casual play with it at the convention.

CodeKyuubi

I would very much enjoy to play a CoD4 Tourney, as it's just simply an awesome game overall.

Emerge

maybe a little more info would be appreciated.

what platform?

rules?

etc.

CodeKyuubi

Well it's on 2 consoles and the PC, consoles being PS3 and Wii.

Rules could be how people do skirmishes on PC: Search and Destroy mode, any and all weapons/perks allowed, and even teams anywhere from 3v3 to 6v6+.

addy

Well obviously, it would depend on how many people,we got right? But, yah i think search and destroy would be good. Maybe even TD? LEts just vote on it here then. I'm just trying to spark interest in the game, and hopefully get a tourny going.

Spalding

I think COD4 tourny in fanimecom is a good idea.

but i think that COD4 tourny could be a Hardcore TD or/and Hardcore Search and destroy to make it fun and a little hard to the player to see who is the bast in COD4.  :) 
Is all about anime and fanime.

Chewie

I along with more than a few of my friends going would be interested in a tourney.

It'd have to be classic mode so we could all start fresh and earn as we go. There are a few of us who are majors or higher and it wouldn't be fair to anyone just starting.

Also, PC or bust.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: CodeKyuubi on December 13, 2007, 08:13:32 PM
Well it's on 2 consoles and the PC, consoles being PS3 and Wii.

Rules could be how people do skirmishes on PC: Search and Destroy mode, any and all weapons/perks allowed, and even teams anywhere from 3v3 to 6v6+.

Yeah its on the 360 too

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

heeroyuy135

illuminazn

A CoD4 tourney would be awesome, I actually know quite a few people who do play CoD4.

Consoles consisting of : PC(Grand daddy platform for FPS), XBOX360 and PS3. Technically its on the DS but I don't know how that'd work, lol. Not for the wii.

CoD4 runs pretty well on PC since they optimized the engine and really, it works fine on a mediocre PC...
XBOX wouldn't be a bad choice either, cheaper than a PS3 plus, you really don't NEED an HDTV for it to look nice. Plus, no one will really have to argue about lag issues :p
PS3 isn't a bad choice either but you have to consider the cost for it as well as PC's and XBOX360's rep for FPS.

"How long can an unprotected human being stand up against automatic rifle fire?"
"A heartbeat, sir."
http://www.rangersection.co.nr/
Airborne Ranger Elite Section

Nujabes + Shing02 rocks :D

Reltig

How would teams be selected?
Like a random draw or a pre set up roster, or even a team captain choosing kind of deal?

heeroyuy135

Random draw is best, it's like playing Merc TD online

illuminazn

Random draw doesn't sound bad but you have to consider people who have pre-selected groups and how they play their roles. Ex: Rifleman, Sniper, etc. etc.

Really, who wants a team full of snipers who don't communicate properly? (Mainly because they don't know each other).

Could have a team of 4v4 that way one TV is split into one whole team facing another...it'll even help resolve LAN hacking where the enemy is looking at the same TV as you (which eliminates the element of surprise along with the ghillie suit...).

So my idea would be like....
A nice sized regular TV, say 26"+
XBOX360's with 4 controllers each.
Teams of 4v4 (Classic Rifleman, Sniper, Support, and CQB combos).

It'd be nice, cheap, and efficient with dealing with lag and screen hacking!
Anyone else agree?  ;D

"How long can an unprotected human being stand up against automatic rifle fire?"
"A heartbeat, sir."

Chewie

Quote from: illuminazn on February 11, 2008, 12:46:11 AM
Random draw doesn't sound bad but you have to consider people who have pre-selected groups and how they play their roles. Ex: Rifleman, Sniper, etc. etc.

Really, who wants a team full of snipers who don't communicate properly? (Mainly because they don't know each other).

Could have a team of 4v4 that way one TV is split into one whole team facing another...it'll even help resolve LAN hacking where the enemy is looking at the same TV as you (which eliminates the element of surprise along with the ghillie suit...).

Anyone else agree?  ;D

You would have to AT LEAST have PCs and 360/ps3 for this to be a valid tourney or you are excluding a lot of people in either bracket. There are a lot of PC users (myself included) who think playing fps' on a console is a joke. And I would imagine the same amount of console users saying the same thing about PC.

For consoles there would have to be multiple tvs/consoles.

For PC they'd have to be back to back or on the other side of separators.

Team sizes depending on the platform.

If it was put together teams would HAVE to be established long before fanime. Regardless of being friends or not, a team or not people would have to register as 'lone gunmen' or as teams so brackets could be worked out and the loners could be put on a team to either practice with or so they weren't alone. Details to be worked out by whoever is running it.

There are also a lot of rules that have to be used/enforced. Like do you allow grenade launchers, perks, uav, choppers, airstrikes. Which mode to use. HC or normal?

Not to mention all the hardware needed. If you choose pc, do you allow people to bring their own? Do you contact a local cyber arcade and see if they want to host it? What about with 360/ps3? Do you ask that someone bring in their personal systems and allow a bunch of strangers to man handle their equipment with likely no reimbursement for it?

If you're going to do it, great. But get together with others and try to hammer out the logistics of it quickly or your going to have 7 guys wanting to kill each other on 3 different platforms and nowhere to do it.

illuminazn

Quote from: Chewie on February 11, 2008, 01:51:46 PM
Quote from: illuminazn on February 11, 2008, 12:46:11 AM

Anyone else agree?  ;D

You would have to AT LEAST have PCs and 360/ps3 for this to be a valid tourney or you are excluding a lot of people in either bracket. There are a lot of PC users (myself included) who think playing fps' on a console is a joke. And I would imagine the same amount of console users saying the same thing about PC.

For consoles there would have to be multiple tvs/consoles.

For PC they'd have to be back to back or on the other side of separators.

Team sizes depending on the platform.

If it was put together teams would HAVE to be established long before fanime. Regardless of being friends or not, a team or not people would have to register as 'lone gunmen' or as teams so brackets could be worked out and the loners could be put on a team to either practice with or so they weren't alone. Details to be worked out by whoever is running it.

There are also a lot of rules that have to be used/enforced. Like do you allow grenade launchers, perks, uav, choppers, airstrikes. Which mode to use. HC or normal?

Not to mention all the hardware needed. If you choose pc, do you allow people to bring their own? Do you contact a local cyber arcade and see if they want to host it? What about with 360/ps3? Do you ask that someone bring in their personal systems and allow a bunch of strangers to man handle their equipment with likely no reimbursement for it?

If you're going to do it, great. But get together with others and try to hammer out the logistics of it quickly or your going to have 7 guys wanting to kill each other on 3 different platforms and nowhere to do it.

Hey Chewie, I'm a PC user myself and been playing FPS since I can't remember how long ago (Doom, Castlevania, Duke Nukem, Shadow Warrior<- LOL) and I understand where you are coming from but with PC's it leaves too much room for error, you know what I mean? Someone can have a really great PC whereas someone else's uses their own not-so-great PC and it kinda leaves room for a disadvantage. Don't get me wrong though, it's a good idea but there is too much of a disadvantage. Not to mention the space it'll use (even though the room is probably huge).

Well, again, this is just an idea I am proposing this in hopes that someone would be kind enough to take upon the burden of running a tourny. Maybe if we hammered it all out, someone would help organize one. I'm willing to bring my consoles over (along with my PC if need be).

Regarding the rule sets, I think(my own opinion) everything should be allowed, people should be able to make full use of what Call of Duty 4 has to offer. If they play good and manage to get airstrikes, good for them, the other team will just have to adapt and stay indoors and away from windows. As for mode, I think a normal team deathmatch would be nice; it's quick, sweet, and to the point. There can also be a Free For All deathmatch for people who are by themselves and decide to enter. It'll leave 1v1s and 4v4s. There could even be a 2v2 but i doubt the teams would want to share the same TV. Because of this, the consoles would probably have the greater favor in proposal compared to PCs whereas connection problems, graphical lag, and technical issues can kick in (not to mention there are probably hacks by now...)

Again, this is just an idea, a friendly proposal to anyone who is ,godwilling, nice enough to take the suggestion of a COD4 tourny.

"A heartbeat, sir."

DJ_eclipse

I'm down 100%. Who's actually playing this? Hit me up on xbox live (The DJ eclipse) and maybe we can team up in fanime. That would be awesome.

heeroyuy135

If anyone wants to hook up on the PS3, hit me up on PSN, same user ID as my Fanime name

JTchinoy

Yes we're probably going to be hosting a CoD4 tournament.
We're having trouble finding the standard rules for Halo3 and CoD4 at the moment.
Once we find those it will more than likely be set in.
E-gaming tournaments will be done as professionally as possible (by me) and we'll be hosting a whole list of games that will be posted up when we finish finding all of the rules and formats that we'll be implementing.
Console is TBA.
I see some of you have listed rules to go by, but if any of you have the standard tournament rules, those would be preferred.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

Emerge

i can see how rules would be a problem.

choosing a game mode shouldn't be so bad. i assume "Search and Destroy" would be the most popular w/it's CounterStrike-esque gameplay.

but then there's the whole custom-class deal. narrowing the weapons down to the 5 default classes would be kind of boring. on the other hand, it would make it more skill-based than perk-based.

and yeah...it's been established that a platform MUST be decided upon.

JTchinoy

I doubt it'll be PC since at the moment we don't have a network to do any PC tournaments on... unfortunately.  It's either going to be PS3 or 360.  No idea how many 360's we have but we have at least 2 ps3's available.

Yeah I noticed there aren't any available CoD4 standard rules.  I found Halo rules but none for CoD4.
Search and destroy and I don't know what else.  I only played a few times on my bro's 360 so we just played for fun.  We'll see how it goes.

If you guys can agree to a certain set of REASONABLE rules, then we MAY use those.  I read these forums daily so I'll try to help brainstorm if I can.  If standard rules emerge elsewhere, those will be used.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X