Call of Duty 4, Tourny? Casual Play?

Started by addy, December 07, 2007, 05:27:14 PM

Chewie

Most rules I've seen include classic mode with the ability to unlock while playing, no grenade launchers, no excessive jumping and absolutely no abuse of prone.

From there you have to figure out time, points, teams and maps.

Some other sources I've seen:

http://www.mlgpro.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3229595

http://cod4tournament.xfire.com/

http://www.gamearena.com.au/competitions/call-of-duty-4/rules.php

http://www.xleague.tv/Tournament/TournamentInfo.aspx?TournamentId=22 - tourney rules are about halfway down the page.

Emerge

Quote from: Chewie on February 26, 2008, 01:24:48 AM
Most rules I've seen include classic mode with the ability to unlock while playing, no grenade launchers, no excessive jumping and absolutely no abuse of prone.

From there you have to figure out time, points, teams and maps.

Some other sources I've seen:

http://www.mlgpro.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3229595

http://cod4tournament.xfire.com/

http://www.gamearena.com.au/competitions/call-of-duty-4/rules.php

http://www.xleague.tv/Tournament/TournamentInfo.aspx?TournamentId=22 - tourney rules are about halfway down the page.

huh...that's odd.

with the exception of no grenade launchers (which i'm not really for despite the fact i don't use them myself), i haven't seen the denial of using excessive jumping (bunny hopping) or going prone in any of the links you've provided. maybe i missed them; if you could point them out i would be grateful.

b-hopping doesn't really bother me all that much as it slows down the player upon landing, making for an easier kill.

denying a player to go prone, on the other hand, is rather absurd IMO. during "red-screens", going prone is one of my first tactics to employ during recovery.

Chewie

I said abuse. Never said you can't go prone at all, just no "dolphin diving".

JTchinoy

wtf is dolphin diving?

elaborate why bunny hopping and dolphin diving would be banned?

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

Chewie

Quote from: JTchinoy on February 26, 2008, 10:44:51 PM
wtf is dolphin diving?

You can't bunny hop in CoD4. However you can jump around like an idiot every chance you get making you harder to hit. Doesn't promote skill. Just the ability to spam a trigger or mouse key while pressing another button over and over.

Dolphin diving is coined from BF2 where it made you almost impossible to hit for a few seconds when you combined sprint with prone. The term applies to someone who over uses prone. That's it. If you have one guy using prone for his sniper shots, to hide, etc, great. If you have another who is combining sprint with prone constantly, thus making him an all but impossible target, it's shady and cheap and again does not at ALL promote skill. If you want it to be "anything to win, then by all means, allow it and grenade launchers.

You'll have more people walking away then playing.

JTchinoy

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

illuminazn

usually on gamebattles, the standard set of rules is no grenade launchers (Noob tube) and mostly set around search and destroy. That way it promotes the ability to kill AND stay alive. TDM doesn't really make you fight for your life as much.

As with dolphin diving, I really only hear about it in BF series (I play bf2142) and it happens. COD4, I never really seen anyone dolphin dive and be able to kill me (only with BF and the knifing).

The standard default classes...I know, rather limited but then again as someone said before...it does promote player skill (As much as I hate iron sights...)

I just absolutely hate martyrdom and juggernaut. (word has it the next patch will replace them with something new! yay!)

"How long can an unprotected human being stand up against automatic rifle fire?"
"A heartbeat, sir."
http://www.rangersection.co.nr/
Airborne Ranger Elite Section

Nujabes + Shing02 rocks :D

heeroyuy135

I can only see Dolphin Diving off the break, but it does seem like a cheap tactic if used constantly.

As for possible rules, no GLs and Search & Destroy. I'll also suggest Sabotage, since it promotes teamwork (plus there's a lagtime between respawns).

illuminazn

Headquarters doesn't seem too bad too, but then again...it'll drag out the game time (unless we limit it! thank god for private matches).

I can honestly say though...now that I think about it, people who sprint and prone only do it in Bog to avoid the spawn snipers in the first 5 seconds of the game (annoys me to get killed in S&D right when i run out)...other than that...everyone just does it to save their life. (Honestly, I don't know how we can regulate dolphin diving if it occurs in like 3 seconds. Unlike the noob tube and its announced killing, it's hard to see when someone does it on purpose or what.)

But I agree with Heero. No noob tubes, S&D and it'll be gravy.

"How long can an unprotected human being stand up against automatic rifle fire?"
"A heartbeat, sir."

JTchinoy

Player style will be determined later.
I appreciate everyones input as I'm not a hardcore FPS player. :)
After I determine how many systems we'll be having, which determines if we will FFA or have team, I'll start collecting rules.
Hopefully after next Sunday (3/09, the next staff meeting) I'll have the information on how many systems and if it'll be FFA or team.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

illuminazn

Quote from: JTchinoy on February 29, 2008, 09:57:46 AM
Player style will be determined later.
I appreciate everyones input as I'm not a hardcore FPS player. :)
After I determine how many systems we'll be having, which determines if we will FFA or have team, I'll start collecting rules.
Hopefully after next Sunday (3/09, the next staff meeting) I'll have the information on how many systems and if it'll be FFA or team.

Okay, cool!
Hey man, I'm not sure if anyone said this but...

Thank you for hosting the tourney and going through the trouble of doing this for us. It is highly appreciated, i'm sure, among the rest of us.

Remember! one tv can fit 4 players :]

"A heartbeat, sir."

JTchinoy

Not a problem.  I was quite disgusted with how the tournaments were run last Fanime.
The guy straight up said: "No 2/3 games because I don't want to be here" for the Tekken tournament.
I was like... WOW.
As a competitive Tekken player I hate to see game tournaments run with such inconsideration of how the participants feel.
I may not know a lot of these games but I can make sure they're done as properly as possible.  :D

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: Chewie on February 27, 2008, 03:53:46 AM
wtf is dolphin diving?

You can't bunny hop in CoD4. However you can jump around like an idiot every chance you get making you harder to hit. Doesn't promote skill. Just the ability to spam a trigger or mouse key while pressing another button over and over.

Dolphin diving is coined from BF2 where it made you almost impossible to hit for a few seconds when you combined sprint with prone. The term applies to someone who over uses prone. That's it. If you have one guy using prone for his sniper shots, to hide, etc, great. If you have another who is combining sprint with prone constantly, thus making him an all but impossible target, it's shady and cheap and again does not at ALL promote skill. If you want it to be "anything to win, then by all means, allow it and grenade launchers.

I don't see how this "bunny hoping" is cheap.
Its a perfectly legit thing to do and any smart player will do the same.

CoD4 is way to easy game to be good at anyway(thats why I dont play it).

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Emerge

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on February 29, 2008, 03:26:51 PM
wtf is dolphin diving?

Oh, lawd...

I won't gas the flame, but...it all depends on what you define to be "good". Playing tactically is pretty damn difficult to do, especially when you're playing with random people online who for the most part either, IMO, run and gun or camp; one or the other. Organized flanking and whatnot doesn't happen too often unless everyone on your online team has a mic and is actually willing to play with tactics and whatnot. But I digress.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: Emerge on February 29, 2008, 03:36:17 PM
wtf is dolphin diving?

Oh, lawd...

I won't gas the flame, but...it all depends on what you define to be "good". Playing tactically is pretty damn difficult to do, especially when you're playing with random people online who for the most part either, IMO, run and gun or camp; one or the other. Organized flanking and whatnot doesn't happen too often unless everyone on your online team has a mic and is actually willing to play with tactics and whatnot. But I digress.
Well in the First game I ever played in CoD4 I went 30 and 3.
I never played with people I know because we all find it WAY to easy to win, which becomes boring.
I do have to note that I DO come from the Hardcore ideals of the Halo Community and that we ARE perfectionist
so when I so into a game that takes only a headshot to kill someone, I consider it easy
Not to Offend CoD4 Fans

Oh and I define Good as a combination of skill and teamwork

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Emerge

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on February 29, 2008, 03:47:46 PM
Quote from: Emerge on February 29, 2008, 03:36:17 PM
wtf is dolphin diving?

Oh, lawd...

Well in the First game I ever played in CoD4 I went 30 and 3.
I never played with people I know because we all find it WAY to easy to win, which becomes boring.
I do have to note that I DO come from the Hardcore ideals of the Halo Community and that we ARE perfectionist
so when I so into a game that takes only a headshot to kill someone, I consider it easy
Not to Offend CoD4 Fans

I'd like to say that playing online isn't really a measure of where the game's difficulty stands where it's a mixed pool of FPS pros and joes alike. I'm sure you'll agree with me when I say the joes greatly outnumber the pros (excuse the Spike reference, I suck at analogies). Most of the people seem to see TDM and like matches as FFA's with half of the people with the inability to shoot you. You may be a good player, but that could only be in comparison to those you play with. Note the "could", I'm not saying where you stand on your own as a player. Just stating possibilities.

What I'm saying is, you can't judge a game based on how people play it. I have my opinions about Halo, but I won't get into them here, as this thread is about CoD4.

illuminazn

QuoteWell in the First game I ever played in CoD4 I went 30 and 3.
Not to Offend CoD4 Fans

Depends on whom you are playing in CoD4, just like Halo. You could've been playing against low rank new players with a mix of people prestige 1 or so who just have their bad day while you had a good run.

I used to be a halo fanatic until I realized it was all too easy with BR and sniper rifles (Just like you and CoD4). I just value CoD4 since it's a lot more realistic (though bullet arcs would make this complete) where you get shot a few times, you are gone. It makes playing for your life a lot more interesting especially when it comes to search and destroy (some of the best players and clans only play this mode).

I am not trying to start any flaming here...I trust we are all grown up and all to stay mature and keep this civilized. I am just indicating the difference between how people choose between games of the same genre.

QuoteI don't see how this "bunny hoping" is cheap.

As with the bunny hopping...I agree with him. I also don't see anything wrong with it...you lose time and stamina as you hop around making you a slower and easier target as your aim drastically changes while you jump. Why shouldn't you be entitled to a kill that makes it easier for you to kill them? If you can't hit them while they jump around, that's funny stuff. Plus...some people do that to get the challenge for the air time kill (or for hilarity).

I think it's hilarious when I jump out from a corner with a pump shotty and kill the guy while he screams "OMFG GO BACK TO HALO YOU ****in newb!"

Still would've killed him anyhow. I just got the challenge for it. easy points.

JTchinoy, if you need help about the tourny/freeplay, i'll be happy to help you out.

"A heartbeat, sir."

Emerge

Hey, shotguns are fun as all hell! Especially in Vacant, where there are a bunch of straight hallways and corner battles galore! Matter of fact, I have a custom class for that map alone! W1200/M1911 .45, with Grip, Sleight of Hand, and Last Stand! Quick reloading w/a shotty pays off A LOT. ;D

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: illuminazn on February 29, 2008, 04:25:16 PM
QuoteWell in the First game I ever played in CoD4 I went 30 and 3.
Not to Offend CoD4 Fans

Depends on whom you are playing in CoD4, just like Halo. You could've been playing against low rank new players with a mix of people prestige 1 or so who just have their bad day while you had a good run.

I used to be a halo fanatic until I realized it was all too easy with BR and sniper rifles (Just like you and CoD4). I just value CoD4 since it's a lot more realistic (though bullet arcs would make this complete) where you get shot a few times, you are gone. It makes playing for your life a lot more interesting especially when it comes to search and destroy (some of the best players and clans only play this mode).

I am not trying to start any flaming here...I trust we are all grown up and all to stay mature and keep this civilized. I am just indicating the difference between how people choose between games of the same genre.

QuoteI don't see how this "bunny hoping" is cheap.

As with the bunny hopping...I agree with him. I also don't see anything wrong with it...you lose time and stamina as you hop around making you a slower and easier target as your aim drastically changes while you jump. Why shouldn't you be entitled to a kill that makes it easier for you to kill them? If you can't hit them while they jump around, that's funny stuff. Plus...some people do that to get the challenge for the air time kill (or for hilarity).

I think it's hilarious when I jump out from a corner with a pump shotty and kill the guy while he screams "OMFG GO BACK TO HALO YOU ****in newb!"

Still would've killed him anyhow. I just got the challenge for it. easy points.

JTchinoy, if you need help about the tourny/freeplay, i'll be happy to help you out.
Exactly, if everyone can bunny hop, than theres no reason anyone to complain about it, however useing RPGs is pretty cheap no matter where you go.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

illuminazn

QuoteExactly, if everyone can bunny hop, than theres no reason anyone to complain about it, however useing RPGs is pretty cheap no matter where you go.

Lol, RPGs are funny. Sometimes they hit but really...just like in real life, it's pretty unreliable with it's random direction half the time. It's a rocket propelled grenade lol. Lots of swirling :D

Nah, RPGs are fine though. If it was cheap, people would use it a lot more than noob tubes.

"A heartbeat, sir."