Idea: Running Nerf Battle

Started by Tur713, December 10, 2007, 10:03:24 PM

Tur713

First off, this idea is not an all out war just to shoot everybody. That'd just be silly. We'd need a way of making a more contained and practical way to battle.

Concept 1:
I've heard somewhere that there's this game that you get somebody's name and picture (we don't have to do the exact thing and you have to hunt them down, meanwhile someone else has yours. One an opponent is defeated, the player takes that person's hit and continues the search. The game lasts until it comes down to the final two. Initial hits could be organized through e-mail or PM.

Concept 2:
We all have a unified something that defines us as in the game. From there we search out other players with the mark and take them out. The trick is we keep a point system by having all players also carry some form of "dog tag" or a customized form of identification that is given to the victor.

How's this sound? Anyone up for it? Anyone wanna help me set this up? If it gets an ok, I know I wont be able to do it alone.

Also, there should probably be some kind of epic, all-out battle at the end...

EDIT: Most recent rules in post #9 on this page.
Founder - Fanime Dating Dojo

Ayamachi

That sounds incredibly fun. It's my first Fanime ever though, so I know nothing about the convention center and how confined its areas are (or if it'd be allowed...), but I'd be in! I've seen/been part of mass games at cons before, from Duck Duck Goose to Tag to Monkey in the Middle, and all of them are a total blast.

I like the picture idea...like everyone who wants to play can sign up and get assigned their hit, and print out a little pic of them for a kind of kill card. Maybe the sign that people are "in the game" could be something as simple as wearing your badge in a certain place or a certain way, like on the wrist instead of around the neck, or pinned to a sleeve or something? Then we could keep the kill cards in our badge holders.

Otherwise I think brandishing the Nerf gun would be sign enough... XD But I'd love to see a giant free-for-all at the end, for sure.
Alternate personalities for Fanime 2008:
TimeJump Hinata: 9%
Koumei: 8%
Black Jack: 67%
Gwendal: 38%

Tur713

Fanime's got plenty of room for sure, I just don't want anybody getting caught in the crossfire who doesn't want to get hit. As for organization and whether or not they'll let us do it is another reason why I'm bringing this up so early.

Mass games are great over there. You're sure to run into one. Last year I played "Pokeball" for probably a good hour one night.

Tur713

Should this be moved to live programming? ???

otakuapprentice

this idea seems to fall into the same category as the 'capture the flag' game that was being set up for the fanime that just passed; its a good idea, but not a feasible one.

if the main idea was to have this spread out throughout the convention center, then stop right now.

you have noted that you want no one 'caught in the crossfire', but that is what will most likely end up happening.

hunting people down(even if it is simply part of a game) might be taken the wrong way by alot of different groups, most likely by attendees who don't know whats happening, rovers, con staff, security, and patrolling SJPD themselves; furthermore, having something along the lines of a 'hit/kill card' will definitely get taken the wrong way, no matter how much you try to explain it to the officer that has you detained for questioning.

the only reasons that games like 'duck, duck, goose' and that pikaball game actually weren't shut down were because 1) we all know what 'duck, duck, goose' is, and 2) the pikaball game(IIRC was like a pinata-type game, right?) involved hitting a plush toy, not hunting down people.

once again, a good idea, but not the best one in terms of it being easily(and i mean EASILY) misinterpreted.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

Tur713

First off, I'd like to say thank you for giving me intelligent feedback rather than a typical forum flame (though I'm not sure how much those happen around here).

You're very much right. It would be nigh impossible to remove all chances of people getting caught in the crossfire, that's why the games are set up to be more self contained.

I think the second game rules I came up with are much less likely to be misinterpreted, but they're much more likely to get innocent bystanders hit.

The first game may be able to be cleaned up and cause less misinterpretation if I create a unified game card with the rules and a game name on it.

But as I said, these are still in early draft stages of development and it is feedback like this that I appreciate because it allows me to fine tune it within the 165 days left until Fanime. I'd like to see a game like this fly, but it's definitely gonna take some work.

EDIT: The game also may work better if we set it up to happen after a certain hour at night so that there are less people around.

Gatsby

A way that you could play the first game without having to worry about crossfire is by removing the shooting aspect. What you could do is have the assassin sneak up on their prey tap them and say "Bam" to that person. I'm not sure how to keep up the get away factor that a gun fight might have, but it is a suggestion. I definitely would love to see this happen. I planned something like this once, but it didn't happen sadly. I agree having rules and clarifying it is a game is a great and important idea.

Tur713

That could be a solution if we still want to have the hit game.

But as for removing the guns, you must consider this: guns are cool! (I know, I know. Not a valid arguement at all.)

I wonder if we could have an organized nerf battle in some room or in an area off to the side...

otakuapprentice

Quote from: Tur713 on December 12, 2007, 11:03:57 PM
First off, I'd like to say thank you for giving me intelligent feedback rather than a typical forum flame (though I'm not sure how much those happen around here).

You're very much right. It would be nigh impossible to remove all chances of people getting caught in the crossfire, that's why the games are set up to be more self contained.

I think the second game rules I came up with are much less likely to be misinterpreted, but they're much more likely to get innocent bystanders hit.

The first game may be able to be cleaned up and cause less misinterpretation if I create a unified game card with the rules and a game name on it.

But as I said, these are still in early draft stages of development and it is feedback like this that I appreciate because it allows me to fine tune it within the 165 days left until Fanime. I'd like to see a game like this fly, but it's definitely gonna take some work.

EDIT: The game also may work better if we set it up to happen after a certain hour at night so that there are less people around.

the second game idea would work somewhat better than the first.

in terms of 'eliminating' other players: instead of the whole weapon/gunfight idea, replace it with trying to mark/tag the other player with an icon/emblem that will let other players know that said person has been removed from the game. this would add a small amount of stealth(solid snake style) to the game, and would remove the whole 'ppl caught in the crossfire' dilemma.

the idea of collecting something akin to dog tags as points is a good one, but then that gives you away to others that are still playing(only if you have to wear them, that is) unless you store them.

having this coincide later on the afternoon/evening also removes the possibility for other people to be caught in the crossfire.

depending on how you have the whole idea finalized, it will either get approved by fanime or it won't.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

Tur713

Okay, so here's how I'm currently seeing the rules:

The game may or may not include guns (still up in the air). To add to stealth, atmosphere, and most importantly decreased chance of crossfire casualties the game will take place in the evening. Players will carry and attempt to collect each other's custom "dog tags". Players will be also marked by a yet to be determined unifying symbol. Number of dog tags is not yet decided. If a player runs out of their own tags, they are out unless they are willing to give up collected tags. Any player can join or return to the game if another player gives them at least one tag. There should be an end gathering where we count up tags and decide a winner. Maybe then, in the dark of the night, the all out battle could begin. (Still iffy on the giant battle just because of safety concerns, but, man, would it be awesome!)

What do you guys think of the current rules?

zemric

this last set of rules looks great just needs to be ironed out and fine tuned. at night would be perfect because all of the younger ones have to go home, the older ones will be out and more under standing about what is going on. i really don't think we could use guns not saying that it isn't cool but not all of us would have Nerf guns and stuff like that on top of that the police are strict. the tags you could get at simple craft store and make your custom one too.
2007 attendee
2008 egaming
2009 stage zero
2010 pc gaming "head"

Runewitt

what about something like a flag thats hanging near the person's badge that needs to be removed to obtain a "kill"? or a sticky-note with DEAD/ PWND on it that has to be stuck to the hit's back/ badge?

that would take out the chance of someone getting caught in the nerf crossfire, while still needing mad ninja skills.

editaco: just read some of the topic summary. o.o;
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.

Gatsby

THat's actually a great idea in my opinion.

abcbadcat

I just thought of a game that could work just like this one... check out my thread and see what you think. Any additional imput is welcomed.

http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,8459.0.html

xRaMeNx117

Sweet I always wanted to do something like but with CTF. Um just a few things to throw out there. 1. The way you can tell other player can by a black piece of fabric tied to the arm or around the neck. 2. Holding the "big battle" at the park close to the con in the afternoon of chorse 3. A variety of games played CTF, big battle, the current rule set u have. We could have the ctf game in the park or somewhere elese. Maybe small squirt guns instead of nerf? Well I would really like to help.
XBL GamerTag: xViciousxRamenx

Tur713

Okay, okay. We'll take this one step at a time then. Big battle and assasination game are separate. We'll work on our massive battle later.

I like the post-it note idea. It works, it's stealthy and it's safe. However, what if we allowed challengers to bring their own weapons to the battle? Of course we'd have strict regulations on the weapons, but it's a thought. Melee weapons could range from foam swords to stuffed animals (with limited plastics like eyes, ect.) to inflatable pool alligators. I'd have to make a list on exactly what we could use, but what do you think? Okay or no way?

Runewitt

Quote from: Tur713 on December 16, 2007, 07:11:49 PM
Okay, okay. We'll take this one step at a time then. Big battle and assasination game are separate. We'll work on our massive battle later.

I like the post-it note idea. It works, it's stealthy and it's safe. However, what if we allowed challengers to bring their own weapons to the battle? Of course we'd have strict regulations on the weapons, but it's a thought. Melee weapons could range from foam swords to stuffed animals (with limited plastics like eyes, ect.) to inflatable pool alligators. I'd have to make a list on exactly what we could use, but what do you think? Okay or no way?
sounds good. but i wouldnt wanna have a grunny from Gaia against a gaint floating aligator.
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.

Tur713

Quote from: Runewitt on December 17, 2007, 09:53:57 PM
Quote from: Tur713 on December 16, 2007, 07:11:49 PM

sounds good. but i wouldnt wanna have a grunny from Gaia against a gaint floating aligator.
Well, the aliigator would be a little slower and more sluggish to swing, but if one can be stealthy with that... You get what I mean though? It allows people to pick weapons that work for them.