Does the DJ take requests?

Started by Mister_E, December 10, 2007, 10:23:25 PM

Mister_E

A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

Mister_E

Because I hope to have the DJ play

Taxi (Ave Maria) (Jacknife Lee Remix) From the 28 Days Later Soundtrack

or

H.T-Destroying Angels Mix: From Trigun by Tsuneo Imahori
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

Gatsby

If he does I'm requesting Imperial March.

Mister_E

Really...? I'd request the song that Jabba's band was playing you know. "Ooo Iee Eee''

Yukari Kaiba

omg id love it if they played Cha Cha Slide XD

everybody clap your hands! *clap clap clap* lol
FANIME '14 COSPLAY
-Gundam Tanaka (Super Dangan Ronpa 2)
-Tetra (Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker)
-Levi (Attack On Titan)
-Wanderer (Journey)

dj 8-ball

What people need to understand about requesting a song from the DJ is the #1 rule:
Does it mix?

Actually I had a hard time trying to explain that to a woman the other night so I just told her to sing the song she wanted to hear but at the tempo/speed of the song I was playing. She figured it out after that and started requesting stuff that worked.

Of course the DJ has to have the song to. Sometimes people request some far out stuff or that "extra track" on the album that he either didn't pack or deleted. heh

Liars Dice

I'm a DJ, and I don't like people asking me for song request. I don't do top 40, I mix breaks and I hate when people ask me to play songs that don't fit with the set. Dj Icey and sandstorm is a bad mix. I've been trying to get a slot at mixing at fanime, but they're always full, and the DJ's aren't very good (last years DJ hurt my feelings by being so bad.)

sunrise-oasis

what i don't ike about dj's is the way their selectional music is being played like RAP and R&B!...
but i sorta understand that a dj needs its time to browse some songs, he or she has...
*sorry for insulting you, but thats how i met every dj play their songs.*

Mister_E

Quote from: sunrise-oasis on January 24, 2008, 09:28:46 AM
what i don't ike about dj's is the way their selectional music is being played like RAP and R&B!...
but i sorta understand that a dj needs its time to browse some songs, he or she has...

Insult? Who me?

sunrise-oasis

Quote from: Mister_E on January 24, 2008, 02:18:29 PM
Quote from: sunrise-oasis on January 24, 2008, 09:28:46 AM

Insult? Who me?

no...not you.....

Mister_E

Oh good cause I want to DJ to play a Opening Theme to Naruto, No Boy No Cry by Stance Punks, and/or Mezame from Mei-Hime

Dj Stormy Rayner

personally i cant express this enough, If your gonna make a request make sure you ask the right DJ. its not gonna do you any good if you ask a House or a Trance dj to play Anime music =p

Cheers,

Stormy Rayner @ http://www.myspace.com/djstormyrayner

Mister_E

Oh I know that, but since this is a Anime Convention Rave I will have him a CD of pure anime song(s).

Dj Stormy Rayner

Quote from: Mister_E on January 26, 2008, 05:37:23 AM
Oh I know that, but since this is a Anime Convention Rave I will have him a CD of pure anime song(s).

ok heres another issue you will have to think of, theres alot of reasons you cant just hand a DJ a CD, first of all if a DJ is playing CDs you gotta understand the quality of the CD needs to be mp3 at 320 Bitrate quality or Wav or any other high quality types of audio files or the file is either a 256 vinyl rip (that is if you have the skills to rip a vinyl into high quality) because anything lower than 256 Bitrate on a large sound system sounds AWFUL. you will notice alot of songs you probly have are 192 quality or something like that, thats fine if you have it on a Ipod or listening to it through headphones. but on a large pa system it will sound like crap no matter how well you try to master it on the mixer, so the audio would have to be the highest quality.
and of course comes the whole issue is the DJ even taking requests at all which most don't anyways. they are chosen to do their job because they know what people like to begin with, so i would say put faith in the DJ what you might wanna hear might not be what everyone else wants to hear, and a good DJ can read the masses and deliver its not possible to please everyone though i'm sure the songs you chose everyone there would love, but at a party always put good faith in the DJs if they are good they will know what the floor wants and how to deliver. i hope this was a little educational for you =)

Cheers,

Stormy Rayner @ http://www.myspace.com/djstormyrayner

Moonblossom

A good DJ should also be able to take a request and turn it into something productive, even if they don't necessarily have/want to play the specific song you asked for. They may manage to fit something else by the same artist into their set, if it will work better tempo-wise and thematically with what they've already got set up. That way they're able to take the crowd's desires into some consideration without totally screwing the vibe going on.

Mister_E

Then I won't mess with the vibe and ask if he can play Mezame, I found the sone on youtube, and MS Gundam: Igloo The Hidden One Year War.

It was during the Last battle, the Zeon fought hard

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JxYkBXz-rgQ

dj 8-ball

I've pointed this out in another thread but to say again and backup some of the other things other DJ's here mentioned is also the BPM of the song you're requesting. Requesting a song that's 132 BPM's while the DJ is in the 104 - 105 range isn't gonna get that song played right away. A lot of times I'd have the song but I would have to tell the person that they're gonna have to wait until I've worked my way up (or down) to that BPM range. Sometimes by the time I get to that range they might not even be around anymore (this why patience and understanding is important). So if I'm playing "Walk This Way" by RUN DMC and you ask for oh...D Tecno Life that's gonna be a no. However, if you asked for "Hero's Come Back" (1st Naruto Shippuden opening) then that works very well and I've done it...a lot...even in places where they don't know what anime is and I just wanted to see what random reaction I get. :lol:

Mister_E

That's why I've been spending my free time listening to a song that might work. and Mezame is one I think, and also I might request Hero's Come Back.

DJ Reign

I think it's about time I said something about this.

Ever since I started spinning @ fanime, I've always got the same request:  Could you play Sandstorm?

Now, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with requesting that particular track for the simple fact that it does fit with what I've been known to play, it's just quite honestly, I don't really want to or it's not in my crate which is normally the case.

Mister_E, I'm pretty sure you've heard what the other DJ's are trying to say about your requests, so I would advise you to hold off on requesting a particular track you would like to hear at Dance until the appropriate DJ is on.  I'm sure you won't have any problems figuring out which DJ would be appropriate to ask.  ;)

Mister_E