Cheap motel

Started by DNAPureStyle, December 13, 2007, 12:59:17 AM

DNAPureStyle

I was researching and it seems that the hotels for the convention are too pricey for me and my friend that want to go. i searched a bit using travelocity and found one for 65 a night which was reasonable considering we would both pay for it.

the problem is using a map it seems to be a bit far away from the convention. the address is "378 CALAVERAS ST Milpitas, CA 95035" and i was wondering if anyone familiar with the city would be able to tell me how long it would take to get from there to the con and what kind of transport should be used. neither of us can drive, we're being dropped of at the beginning of the weekend and the picked up when it's over by my parents.

Our plan was to stay from Thursday to Tuesday to give us time to get there and get ready and to give us time to pack up and sleep before we leave.

thing is, it might be affordable if we only stayed at the convention hotels for four days from Friday to Monday. I'm just wondering how much of the con we would miss that way. (considering the fact that the convention probably starts in the morning and we would have to leave like... the night before to get there in time for the start, we live in oregon)

Runewitt

google says thats about seven miles from the con, but there's a ramada about two blocks from it, if the prices are the same this year it's only about $85 for a single queen bed or 89 for two queen beds. last year i missed thrusday and most of friday because i didnt check in until friday after work. this year i'm going to go earlier.
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.

DNAPureStyle

lol oops, i guess i should leave map using to others then

Anywho, i'm not familiar at all with travel other than walking since i've always lived in small communities. do they have free trollys or something to get around?

RanyouSaotome

Well transportation wise there is the bus for one and also there is a light rail. Those would probably be the cheapest rather then a taxi. But you have to make sure to schedual it right. Here is the web site for the local transit.

http://www.vta.org/

Hope this was of some help.  ;)

DNAPureStyle

mmm, that is very helpfull. thanks much. ^^

jeans

Milpitas is way too far away from the con! I think you'd have to take a bus to get there and the bus ride would be about an hour and a half (not sure, just estimating). Try to find something within a 1 or 2 mile radius from the con, or along the light rail line so you can take that in. www.vta.org has the light rail map. Fanime is located at the Convention Center stop!

Glitch

I've stayed at cheap motels during some fanimes, and let me say it starts to get inconvenient as the convention progresses. They're usually too far to walk to the convention, so it's a nuisance packing what you need for the day in the car. It's always better to be able to walk back and forth to your room. Both for being able to rest shortly for a an hour, eating comfortable or changing costumes. I remember hating not being able to stay up to late during certain fanimes because of the driver being tired. 0_0 The convention center parking is annoying too, during 04 it was 10 bucks each day for in and out privileges, then the years to come it's been 10 bucks to park once and another 10 bucks if you want to reenter the parking lot if you leave. We had to make sure absolutely everything we needed for the day was packed with us in the car, or pay more cash.
Saving your money for a nearby hotel is definitely worth it.
If the pricey hotels aren't an option, check Expedia. There are plenty hotels way closer than in Milpitas. I stayed at a Travelodge one mile from the convention center at 05. It cost me around 200 bucks.

Runewitt

Check out the availability at the Ramada on 2nd street. it's about as far away from the con as walking from one end to the other and back, so you wont need a vehicle every day, unless you plan on going out to eat somewhere away from fanime.
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.