Sample Budget (for people who are trying to figure it out)

Started by FanFicGuru, December 13, 2007, 01:56:55 PM

darkstar

No, if I don't like the law, they can arrest me.  OK?  Let's put it that simply.

I mean, until I had to move to help out a friend, I was putting the odds of getting arrested at this year's con to better than 50-50.

If it's against the law to sleep in the screening rooms, then they needed to arrest me last year, hardcore, because that was the only way I was going to attend that, or any future, Fanime.  Period.

You don't like it?  Do something about it.  With legal force.

As an additional point:  If you're going to have that attitude, institute a means test.  Force people to demonstrate they have the money to attend the con, or they don't attend the con.  That damned simple.

KyraEnsui

Quote from: darkstar on April 23, 2008, 04:59:44 PM
As an additional point:  If you're going to have that attitude, institute a means test.  Force people to demonstrate they have the money to attend the con, or they don't attend the con.  That damned simple.

How about "no"? Honestly, how is it to understand what most of board member's are saying? You're saying to force people to demonstrate? Give it a break.

Anyways, away from the drama joker. It's all about saving up and having fun. =D Saving up is a really good investment for fun~!

darkstar

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying -- since it seems that "anime cons are a luxury" and all, and people who aren't rich enough to line hotel rooms they probably wouldn't use unless forced with the money which justifies the cons' presence in the name of th elocal Convention and Visitors' Bureau...

I mean, I've had it put to me that sleeping at the con threatens the future of the con -- well, at that point, I am a threat to future cons.

(Of course, if you saw how mad I was by Monday afternoon, I wouldn't have been here.)

A "no" is not sufficient.  Banishment or a restraining order might be a start.

otakuapprentice

Quote from: darkstar on April 23, 2008, 06:04:54 PM
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying -- since it seems that "anime cons are a luxury" and all, and people who aren't rich enough to line hotel rooms they probably wouldn't use unless forced with the money which justifies the cons' presence in the name of th elocal Convention and Visitors' Bureau...

I mean, I've had it put to me that sleeping at the con threatens the future of the con -- well, at that point, I am a threat to future cons.

(Of course, if you saw how mad I was by Monday afternoon, I wouldn't have been here.)

A "no" is not sufficient.  Banishment or a restraining order might be a start.
you really are an idiot, man.

stop whining and being all pissy and just dont go. save yourself(and everyone else) the trouble and just not smeggin' show your face at fanime again.

you really want to be banned from the con so you dont become a 'threat'? okay.

*requests thread lock*
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

G.I.R

Darkstar, What the Hell is your problem?  If Fanime is such a hassle for you, THEN DON'T GO!  Shit man!  You sound like  all you want to do is to stir up trouble when you get there!

And if any Mod is reading this, answer me a question if you can.  Isn't the "No sleeping" (read as "loitering") in the convention center a policy of the convention center?

phoenixphire24

Quote from: darkstar on April 23, 2008, 04:59:44 PM
No, if I don't like the law, they can arrest me.  OK?  Let's put it that simply.

I mean, until I had to move to help out a friend, I was putting the odds of getting arrested at this year's con to better than 50-50.

If it's against the law to sleep in the screening rooms, then they needed to arrest me last year, hardcore, because that was the only way I was going to attend that, or any future, Fanime.  Period.

You don't like it?  Do something about it.  With legal force.

If this is such an issue for you than a) don't come b) only come for Saturday and Sunday and just stay up Saturday night-I'm sure people have done this before or c) learn to save your money. Having people sleep at the con would be a huge problem for the Fanime staff for various reason including safety. Fanime is the same dates every year; it's not like you can't plan ahead. Some people make sacrifices in order to come to Fanime, so stop whining. Otherwise you will get banned from Fanime and then it won't be a problem for you or anyone else in the future.

sysadmin

I'm debating whether to give:

• a sensible answer (hotel/convention center space is private property; they dictate what is and is not allowed in their space)
  • an obvious answer (non-local or overnight vacations cost money, period.)
  • a threat, like I'll permaban people who cause trouble for me.
  • Tifa cosplay pictures.
I'm not sure though.

Glitch

The best sound words of advice to darkstar; Shut the f&@k up!
You have some mental defect that keeps you from compotently planning a trip to the con, yet you(as in one person) expect the con to specifically cater to your(again a single person) needs. Really asshole, do you actually think a good chunk of fanime attendees are just like you?
Do us all a favor and walk in front of a light rail train.

Jun-Watarase

I don't think Fanime hosting any sort of means test for their attendees, because it's quite obvious not everyone has such a stubbornly idiotic mentality as Darkstar does. It's absolutely rational to understand that if you want to attend a private event away from home, you need the proper/legal living arrangements to do so. That's what hotels are made for-- to travel while having a private living space so you don't break the law by loitering around the streets, or in this case, PRIVATE PROPERTY. It has been explained that sleeping on private property isn't legal, nor is it anything a dignified person would do, so from there... it should be common sense. Here's hoping he takes Tony's advice and not come to the con. What needed to be said has been said, somehow Darkstar's brain isn't able to comprehend logic, so let's just go with that.

Darkstar, just don't go. Then you have nothing to worry about.

On topic, though, one could easily go to the con for roughly $75-200 with some planning. $35-50 for registration, maybe $10-20 for basic fast food (I brought my own food, my first overnight con), roughly $100 for a room after some planning with either friends or people that also need roommates online, which is normally worked out pretty easily, especially if you aren't the host. The rest is spent on other things, which is optional-- things in the dealer's room, artist alley, better food, room service, etc. I normally bring an average of $500+ (with the exception of my first, which was less obviously) for each Fanime, but most of that goes to buying things on my own leisure. I normally get registration for $35, if I'm late I get it for $45. A room has never costed more than $100 for me, if I don't get it for free. I think I'll be paying about $60, this year. I've been doing this since I was about 14 years old. So, this year... if I don't buy anything unecessary and focus just on expenses like registration, a room, and food without anyone paying for me, it'd be around $135-150.

But hey, maybe it's because I'm an underaged girl.

Nah, I'm kidding. Though it would help, it's not necessary. It'd make things significantly cheaper if I had took advantage of it is having a boyfriend willing to spend costs for me (in which I normally offer to pay, regardless, for my own sake) or friends that agree to keep me around for free with excuses like "You're a little girl. You don't gots no job, we gots it covered lol!" always come up. The only thing I do allow other people pay for me is food, in which we normally go out to a restaurant or buy stuff to bring back and share. So I suppose there are advantages, but having my own standards, I try to pay for what I can on my own unless it's absolutely necessary to have someone help me out. I had been irresponsible in my earlier cons, but not enough as to it becoming a huge problem for me.

But back to Darkstar, I still managed. So, if a teenage girl could handle it, why can't you?

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

G.I.R

I see what you did there!  You used some Common Sense, and Planning.

See, it's not that hard to plan out a budget, and find ways to save money.

Glitch

Quote from: G.I.R on April 24, 2008, 12:53:02 PM

But you forgot, darkstar is from bizarro land. Over there incompotence is encouraged when going to fanime. Video rooms are primarily meant for sleeping there.

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: G.I.R on April 24, 2008, 12:53:02 PM

To be honest, I don't actually plan anything for Fanime in terms of budget outside of cosplaying, but uh... normally it requires some planning. Rofl. Honestly, I just pay things as they go-- pay for registration? Okay, set. Need a room? Ask during a conversation, ask other people what they're planning, agree to pay, okay set. Food? Well, common sense to bring money for that, okay set. The rest is just bringing money, which varies in terms of planning depending on the circumstances. Otherwise, whatever "planning" this is, it didn't take much effort to do so. For those in a pinch, more effort is needed, but probably not by much.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Rei-Rei

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on April 24, 2008, 12:42:50 PM

I'm not sure what the fuss about money is. Fanime is a vacation, to be able to go, you have to save up and plan ahead.
Heck, I'm taking my little 13 year old cousin to the con with me and he has money saved up to go. And I mean partially pay for the food, hotel, and registration...
If a little 13 year old can save up enough money through petty chores and allowances, I don't see why a full grown person such as Darkstar couldn't save up enough money.....
Either my little cousin is very smart, or Darkstar can't plan..... Though I think the latter.

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: Rei-Rei on April 24, 2008, 06:46:35 PM
Quote from: Jun-Watarase on April 24, 2008, 12:42:50 PM

I'm not sure what the fuss about money is. Fanime is a vacation, to be able to go, you have to save up and plan ahead.
Heck, I'm taking my little 13 year old cousin to the con with me and he has money saved up to go. And I mean partially pay for the food, hotel, and registration...
If a little 13 year old can save up enough money through petty chores and allowances, I don't see why a full grown person such as Darkstar couldn't save up enough money.....
Either my little cousin is very smart, or Darkstar can't plan..... Though I think the latter.

Haha, well... that was a joke. I was referring to my age and gender regarding its benefits. But yeah, it's more or less his inability to comprehend the purpose of getting a hotel room and how Fanime is a necessity, and that no one is forcing him to go. I'm able to plan and budget all this (but I can't really take all the credit for it, as Pyron is probably paying for me in a lot of aspects) and while being able to help out Kazuko room with us and help with her registration fee. She was in a pinch, and she managed by having other people help her. It's not difficult, a lot of people do it. They manage.

FanimaidCafe.com

darkstar

Quote from: G.I.R on April 24, 2008, 01:20:40 AM
Darkstar, What the Hell is your problem?  If Fanime is such a hassle for you, THEN DON'T GO!  Shit man!  You sound like  all you want to do is to stir up trouble when you get there!

And if any Mod is reading this, answer me a question if you can.  Isn't the "No sleeping" (read as "loitering") in the convention center a policy of the convention center?

The rules are the hassle.  When you have to worry more about abiding by the damn rules than enjoying the con, then what money you threw at it was a waste.

Basically, I'm making a point:  If you want to enforce those rules, you had better go above and beyond to deal with people like me, because there is ZERO CHANCE of me going to the con and abiding by those rules.

darkstar

Quote from: Glitch on April 24, 2008, 12:34:39 PM
The best sound words of advice to darkstar; Shut the f&@k up!
You have some mental defect that keeps you from compotently planning a trip to the con, yet you(as in one person) expect the con to specifically cater to your(again a single person) needs. Really asshole, do you actually think a good chunk of fanime attendees are just like you?
Do us all a favor and walk in front of a light rail train.

Then shut me the f&@k up.

I don't respect you.  Unless you're gonna knock me out or something...

darkstar

Let me put it this simply:

There is zero need for overnight screenings at an anime con unless you wish to accept people will crash out there.

Take it from someone who's been the only person in the room, or the only person awake, at numerous cons that did overnights (and some of them then did away with the practice).

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: darkstar on April 24, 2008, 07:16:56 PM

There is zero need for overnight screenings at an anime con unless you wish to accept people will crash out there.

Take it from someone who's been the only person in the room, or the only person awake, at numerous cons that did overnights (and some of them then did away with the practice).

They're there for people to be entertained if they're still awake late at night. They're not slumbering rooms-- if you honestly believe that they're there for the reason of people crashing in there, why doesn't Fanime have a freakin' sign put up saying, "HAY GUYZ, SLUMBER PARTY HERE!!"? Again, Fanime's convention grounds are private property. The hotel's there for a reason. Use it.

FanimaidCafe.com

KyraEnsui

Quote from: darkstar on April 24, 2008, 07:16:56 PM

You're not the only one who can stay awake at cons and go to overnight screenings. Don't assume.

zoupzuop2

First Fanime: $200 was my life-savings. Went under on the third day.
Second Fanime: Had roughly $500, kept consistent track of what I bought and attended. Spent just under $350.

This Fanime? My money will be most likely further than that. I expect fun times, even if I'm spotting gas and/or bus for certain days.
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.