Sample Budget (for people who are trying to figure it out)

Started by FanFicGuru, December 13, 2007, 01:56:55 PM

Mister_E

All my stuff is paid for, and I still have around $500.00 in my hands.
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

darkstar

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on April 24, 2008, 07:23:41 PM
Quote from: darkstar on April 24, 2008, 07:16:56 PM
Let me put it this simply:

There is zero need for overnight screenings at an anime con unless you wish to accept people will crash out there.

Take it from someone who's been the only person in the room, or the only person awake, at numerous cons that did overnights (and some of them then did away with the practice).

They're there for people to be entertained if they're still awake late at night. They're not slumbering rooms-- if you honestly believe that they're there for the reason of people crashing in there, why doesn't Fanime have a freakin' sign put up saying, "HAY GUYZ, SLUMBER PARTY HERE!!"? Again, Fanime's convention grounds are private property. The hotel's there for a reason. Use it.

If that's the case, then do this:

Anyone caught sleeping anywhere on the convention grounds gets thrown off the premises and cited.  The only warning you get is in your book or posted prominently on the grounds.

The area they are caught in gets noted.  If on an overnight, a second offender shuts down that area til 8 AM.  That happens twice, that area is shut down for the duration of the con.

I mean, let's be blunt:  If you want to go _there_, the only reason Fanime exists is to satisfy the San Jose Convention and Visitors' Bureau.

darkstar

Quote from: KyraEnsui on April 24, 2008, 07:25:25 PM
Let me put it this simply:

There is zero need for overnight screenings at an anime con unless you wish to accept people will crash out there.

Take it from someone who's been the only person in the room, or the only person awake, at numerous cons that did overnights (and some of them then did away with the practice).

You're not the only one who can stay awake at cons and go to overnight screenings. Don't assume.

I'll assume what I've seen at different cons -- both local and more outlying.

I mean, I've been at other cons where the number of people sleeping at the screening room and out in the hall far outweighed the number of awake people -- and it wasn't even close.

There is NO REASON NOR PURPOSE that the screening rooms should have to be open 24 hours if the expectation is for you to buy hotel rooms.  Not only could those hotel rooms be used for personal viewing of whatever they chose to buy (of course, for many anime fans, actually BUYING the anime would be one Hell of a concept), but you could also (like some other cons do) utilize the hotel's network for such (non-adult) means as well.

darkstar

Quote from: Glitch on April 24, 2008, 12:59:07 PM
Quote from: G.I.R on April 24, 2008, 12:53:02 PM
I see what you did there!  You used some Common Sense, and Planning.

See, it's not that hard to plan out a budget, and find ways to save money.
But you forgot, darkstar is from bizarro land. Over there incompotence is encouraged when going to fanime. Video rooms are primarily meant for sleeping there.

I can't plan six months ahead.  For all I know and expect, six months from now, I'll be in prison.  I usually can't give more than maybe about three weeks.

(In fact, there's more than one time that deciding to go to cons came down to that.)

KyraEnsui

I mean, let's be blunt:  If you want to go _there_, the only reason Fanime exists is to satisfy the San Jose Convention and Visitors' Bureau.

Fanime does not satisfy them. It satisfy the fans who brings together anyone with the common interests.

Jun-Watarase

Hell, I don't even know why you're arguing this, nor what you're trying to prove anymore... but all people are ABLE to do things illegally, doesn't mean they should, nor should they promote it.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

zoupzuop2

Quote from: DarkstarI mean, let's be blunt:  If you want to go _there_, the only reason Fanime exists is to satisfy the San Jose Convention and Visitors' Bureau.

Ugh. Even THAT is too arrogant for me.

Fanime exists to provide a fun, by-fans-for-fans convention for whomever is willing and financially able to come. It just happens to take place in the San Jose Convention center, which has common sense certain rules that any establishment should have. If you can't afford a hotel room, or can't stay with a friend, then don't impose yourself on the very people that have already provided more than enough for you. If it's not good enough for you, then it's not worth your time to come, or ours to convince you to change your clearly made-up mind. You clearly think it just exists to satisfy rules instead of make anything fun for YOU SPECIFICALLY, so why bother attending? You clearly think that you should be able to sleep wherever the heck you want without repercussion (to host such a crazy belief as sleeping in the halls at Fanime), and Fanime doesn't reward that, so why go somewhere where you'd be persecuted for your madness 'beliefs', for lack of a better term?

Sleeping in the con halls isn't just rude, it's not just against the policy of SJCC. It's a slap in the face to those who worked hard to set up the con. It's saying, "I don't want to pay for a room, so I'm going to threaten this con's VERY EXISTANCE by imposing myself on it in a way that violates policy. So SCREW YOU, PUPPETS!"

Quite frankly I don't care if I got that right or wrong. IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO COME TO FANIME AND SLEEP SOMEWHERE, EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO DRIVE HOME AND BACK, DON'T COME TO FANIME.

I've been quiet on the matter too long. "Boo hoo, I can't afford a room, Fanime is being MEAN to me! It's THEIR fault I can't afford a room! They're such PUPPETS! Sleeping in the halls should be okay! Violating common sense and legal policies should be okay!" How ungrateful and bratty. Please don't impose yourself on Fanime, or any convention that has COMMON SENSE, for that matter.
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

otakuapprentice

Quote from: darkstar on April 24, 2008, 11:25:08 PM
I can't plan six months ahead.  For all I know and expect, six months from now, I'll be in prison.  I usually can't give more than maybe about three weeks.

(In fact, there's more than one time that deciding to go to cons came down to that.)
this alone says enough about you than all of your previous posts so far.

what was i typing again...oh, i remember now.

you were bitching about this very same thing last year, back in june. that reminded me of a very short convo i had with deonchan on which law you were breaking. its this one:

QuoteCalifornia Penal Code PEN Section 647(e)
Every person who commits any of the following acts is guilty
of disorderly conduct, a misdemeanor:
(e) Who lodges in any building, structure, vehicle, or place,
whether public or private, without the permission of the owner or
person entitled to the possession or in control of it.

but the main reason im typing:
dont show up to fanime. save everyone the trouble and just dont show the smeg up, you gimpy little goit.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

G.I.R

Quote from: darkstar on April 24, 2008, 11:25:08 PM
Quote from: Glitch on April 24, 2008, 12:59:07 PM
Quote from: G.I.R on April 24, 2008, 12:53:02 PM
I see what you did there!  You used some Common Sense, and Planning.

See, it's not that hard to plan out a budget, and find ways to save money.
But you forgot, darkstar is from bizarro land. Over there incompotence is encouraged when going to fanime. Video rooms are primarily meant for sleeping there.

Wow.  You are helpless.  I made plans for San Diego Comic Con back in December.  I got my pass in advance, and made Hotel arrangements at a Motel 6 Before the cons reservations were up so I wouldn't have the nightmare problem with getting a room like last year because the hotel rooms sold out in less than two hours. That's eight months in advance.  Oh, and guess what...  You can cancel hotel reservations in advance if necessary!  I have friends that have done the same.
By the way, i almost didn't make it to Fanime last year, but was able to make arrangements less than two months in advance.  I truely believe you didn't even try to make arrangements, or save up, or plan ahead.

Quote from: darkstarThe rules are the hassle.  When you have to worry more about abiding by the damn rules than enjoying the con, then what money you threw at it was a waste.

Basically, I'm making a point:  If you want to enforce those rules, you had better go above and beyond to deal with people like me, because there is ZERO CHANCE of me going to the con and abiding by those rules.
So in other words, the rules don't apply to you?!? WTF? 

Tony

*sigh*

Looking for budget help? Check the first few pages!

The rest is all derailed.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014