Sample Budget (for people who are trying to figure it out)

Started by FanFicGuru, December 13, 2007, 01:56:55 PM

jeans

Food will not cost you that much! La Victoria's taqueria sells breakfast burritos for $1.50 (or $1.75? i dunno, under two dollars) that are very filling and nutritious (eggs and protein!). Also, I would not buy the food from the convention vendors--it's all incredibly marked up. There are many restaurants downtown where you can buy really tasty and healthy food for cheap. Try Pita Pit, La Vic's, Iguana's, or even one of the pizza places! There is even a sushi place in Plaza de San Antonio (like 2 streets away from the con).

As for the walking around at night comment...I personally would, but I would be cautious. Always go with a group of friends to be on the safe side! Many of the restaurants downtown are open late for the people leaving clubs and such.

IshokuOsero

Quote from: phoenixphire24 on January 07, 2008, 05:15:55 PM
Quote from: Moonblossom on January 04, 2008, 08:38:46 PM
Plane tickets = $750.

*dies*

Me too! Nothing like adding a few hundred dollars to your budget just to get to SJ!  :'(

That's why my friend and I went through Travelocity.
We got the round trip plane tickets and a room at the Hilton for a bit over 1k for the both of us (I believe it came out to about $630 a piece). I went with Travelocity back when Hyde came to SF and got a good deal then also, which is why I went with it again. Although I have to say, luck was with my friend and I when we realized that the Hilton was one of the hotels that can be booked through that site. x3

phoenixphire24

Quote from: jeans on January 09, 2008, 09:21:01 PM
Food will not cost you that much! La Victoria's taqueria sells breakfast burritos for $1.50 (or $1.75? i dunno, under two dollars) that are very filling and nutritious (eggs and protein!).

BEST FOOD EVER. My friends and I have breakfast/lunch there everyday during Fanime.

AbsolutelyCursed

Quote from: phoenixphire24 on January 17, 2008, 08:16:20 AM
Food will not cost you that much! La Victoria's taqueria sells breakfast burritos for $1.50 (or $1.75? i dunno, under two dollars) that are very filling and nutritious (eggs and protein!).

BEST FOOD EVER. My friends and I have breakfast/lunch there everyday during Fanime.

That settles it for me. Will definitely go to La Victoria for breakfast during Fanime.

rude32

Quote from: AbsolutelyCursed on January 17, 2008, 11:47:42 PM
Quote from: phoenixphire24 on January 17, 2008, 08:16:20 AM

That settles it for me. Will definitely go to La Victoria for breakfast during Fanime.
Yes La Victoria is awesome.
A hero forever loyal to the flames of war now rests in Outer Heaven

RUDE: Rub Up Desperate Elephants- Thanks shy-cosplayer

heeroyuy135

What I did last year was I bought a lot of bottled water - I got 4 cases of 24 bottles from Smart and Final for about $20. Since the group I was in had two rooms, I decided to get 2 cases for each room.

It was a good idea since you save a lot of money on drinks (plus water and, to a certain extent, sports drinks like Gatorade are better for you over the weekend than sodas and energy drinks), but since we stayed at the Crowne Plaza, the accessibility for that water was not immediate, as we had to walk across the street to get to the hotel.

I'm going to do it again this year, and since I'm staying at the Marriot I can always retreat into my room, cool off with water, then go back without having to travel far. This way, the accessibility is much higher.

When I figured out my budget, I used a guide that is provided by the community college district (thank god for my ASG connections :)) to determine food budgets for traveling for conferences and other related events that require some sort of stipend. When I go back next week, I'll get one and provide it so that you can figure out it on a form.

Moonblossom

For more really tasty and relatively inexpensive food, there's the Asquew Grill.
http://www.asqewgrill.com/

A friend and I stumbled across this place while roaming around looking for dinner one night after everything else was closed, and omg, it's fabulous. The meat is really juicy and tender, and every single one of their sides that we ended up trying were awesome. We went back the next night with a larger group actually, and didn't mind at all.

It's not quite as cheap as La Victoria, but it's so delicious.

And, um, interesting tidbit that I possibly should not be promoting, they never carded me ><. I was 25 at the time so it wasn't an issue one way or the other, but it's handy to know. Should you have, um, forgotten your ID at the hotel, of course.

phoenixphire24

Quote from: Moonblossom on January 18, 2008, 09:05:17 PM
For more really tasty and relatively inexpensive food, there's the Asquew Grill.
http://www.asqewgrill.com/

A friend and I stumbled across this place while roaming around looking for dinner one night after everything else was closed, and omg, it's fabulous. The meat is really juicy and tender, and every single one of their sides that we ended up trying were awesome. We went back the next night with a larger group actually, and didn't mind at all.

It's not quite as cheap as La Victoria, but it's so delicious.

And, um, interesting tidbit that I possibly should not be promoting, they never carded me ><. I was 25 at the time so it wasn't an issue one way or the other, but it's handy to know. Should you have, um, forgotten your ID at the hotel, of course.

I walked by that place last year, and it looked tasty. Might have to try it this year. The Chinese place that was in that spot was really good, I was sad that it had been taken over, but if the new place is good, it'll be ok.

heeroyuy135

I got the figures!

• Breakfast: $9
  • Lunch: $12
  • Dinner: $21

That comes out to $42 a day, that's not including other items like snacks or drinks on the side.

Again, this is from a form that calculates stipend costs for travel provided by the community college district that I attend.

In reality, no one has $42 for food unless you have a ton of disposable income.

I can see something like this:

• Breakfast: $6.75
  • Lunch: $9
  • Dinner: $15.75

That knocks it down to $31.50.

I say that these amounts are recommended so that you get the food that you need to keep yourself at optimum level while at FanimeCon :)

phoenixphire24

Quote from: HeeroYuy135 on January 18, 2008, 12:14:13 AM
What I did last year was I bought a lot of bottled water - I got 4 cases of 24 bottles from Smart and Final for about $20. Since the group I was in had two rooms, I decided to get 2 cases for each room.

Please be sure to recycle those bottles. Using all those bottle instead of refilling one bottle is very wasteful.  :-\

rude32

Quote from: phoenixphire24 on January 25, 2008, 04:33:46 PM

Please be sure to recycle those bottles. Using all those bottle instead of refilling one bottle is very wasteful.  :-\
Also, you get money from recycling. A little more money you could use at the con.

heeroyuy135

Definately :)

YoureMyHiro

La Victorias is cheap as well as tasty (be sure to try the special sauce) and its a small walk from the Con, right next to it is Jack in the Box and right across the street is Pizza My Heart and Baskin Robbins. All affordable and within walking distance, just remember to bring a jacket, that nightly trek to satisfy your craving for a Jumbo Jack may seem longer than you thought when its freezing outside.

Dragon Ninja

Quote from: rude32 on January 25, 2008, 08:30:28 PM

Also, you get money from recycling. A little more money you could use at the con.

Yeah, I'll do that too. So does anyone know if there any recycling centers near the convention?

Fanime 2013:
Naruto Uzumaki (Naruto Shippuden)
Ichigo Kurosaki (Bleach)
The 9th Doctor (Doctor Who)

Downloads & Fansubs are evil. Support the Anime industry. Buy DVDs NOW

KyraEnsui

=D I'll be driving to Mitsuwa to stock up on some yummy food and snacks that they sell.

heeroyuy135

One good idea is to use Excel or some compatable spreadsheet software to organize all the costs associated with Fanime (i.e. hotels, food, spending cash for dealers room).

I started one yesterday, and it's a good way to see what's going to what and how much

KiratheDemon

Alright, I've only been to one convention but in general I'd make sure not to eat anything that's going to make you feel like crap and not want to walk or feel sick. I'm not talking about eating Junk Food all weekend but just anything that you think will make you, I wouldn't take the chance. Because if you get to feeling sick on Friday or Saturday it won't be much fun, will it? ;)

Alright, thanks for the info too! ^^

rude32

Quote from: KiratheDemon on March 10, 2008, 05:18:59 PM
Alright, I've only been to one convention but in general I'd make sure not to eat anything that's going to make you feel like crap and not want to walk or feel sick. I'm not talking about eating Junk Food all weekend but just anything that you think will make you, I wouldn't take the chance. Because if you get to feeling sick on Friday or Saturday it won't be much fun, will it? ;)

I second this opinion. My first fanime, when it was at the sccc, my friend and I had eaten some chicken strips from denny's, the next day we had food poisoning. My friends and I pretty much sat in the lobby the entire morning and afternoon trying to feel better. Thanks to miso soup and 7-up though, I felt much better.

phoenixphire24

Quote from: rude32 on March 10, 2008, 08:17:00 PM
Quote from: KiratheDemon on March 10, 2008, 05:18:59 PM

I second this opinion. My first fanime, when it was at the sccc, my friend and I had eaten some chicken strips from denny's, the next day we had food poisoning. My friends and I pretty much sat in the lobby the entire morning and afternoon trying to feel better. Thanks to miso soup and 7-up though, I felt much better.

Yeah, this is why I try and stay away from fast food during Fanime. Even if you don't get food poisoning, I've found that all that grease and such tends to make me feel sluggish and tried. Not good when there's anime to be watched!

FanFicGuru

Alright I updated the first post by consolidating the info spread across the thread.

Keep tips coming in you guys. ^_^
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015