Lucky☆Star: English cast for dub, confirmed.

Started by Jun-Watarase, December 14, 2007, 07:35:21 AM

Jun-Watarase

So word's getting out that the majority of Lucky☆Star's English cast has been confirmed. From Anime News Network:

Wendee Lee as Konata Izumi
Kari Wahlgren as Kagami Hiiragi
Michelle Ruff as Tsukasa Hiiragi
Karen Strassman as Miyuki Takara

Kate Higgins as Nanako Kuroi
Sam Regal as Minoru
Stephanie Sheh as Akira

The DVD release is going to be similar to how they released Haruhi. There'll be regular release, and a Special Edition boxset... that supposedly comes with a chocolate cornet. Who knows how the dub'll be-- so far, I haven't heard any negative comments on it. There aren't any videos up, yet, but it was said that jokes and puns are kept relatively the same (???). I wonder how that'll work out.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

otakuya

Wendee Lee=Aya Hirano
Haruhi and Konata

The Haruhi dub isn't that bad. So Lucky Star might be as good.

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: Otakuya on December 14, 2007, 09:51:38 AM
Wendee Lee=Aya Hirano
Haruhi and Konata

The Haruhi dub isn't that bad. So Lucky Star might be as good.

I agree that the Haruhi dub wasn't terrible, but Lucky☆Star is pretty much made up of anime-otaku and cultural jokes. Haruhi has them, but the series isn't built up around them, they're just there. I really wonder how they'll fair once they're translated.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Spiritsnare

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on December 14, 2007, 07:35:21 AM
Michelle Ruff as Tsukasa Hiiragi

I've only heard her a pair of (somewhat?) serious roles (Mai in .hack//Liminality, Yuki in Haruhi), so I'd like to hear her Tsukasa. :3

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on December 14, 2007, 07:35:21 AMThe DVD release is going to be similar to how they released Haruhi. There'll be regular release, and a Special Edition boxset... that supposedly comes with a chocolate cornet.

Special Edition boxsets will have expiry dates and people who casually glean over the box won't know why. :o
epic progressive

vox

PyronIkari

An entire series about Japanese daily culture, Japanese otaku culture,and cultural differences between different Japanese people...

Played by 4 people who don't know a thing about Japan.

Nice.

LastElixir

Shouldn't even be localized over here to begin with, just like PPD. What's next? Seto getting picked up so the American low-tier otakus can go "oh it's so silly, I love Japanese slapstick."?

j

LordKefka

Quote from: PyronIkari on December 14, 2007, 11:52:05 AM
An entire series about Japanese daily culture, Japanese otaku culture,and cultural differences between different Japanese people...

Nice.

Wtf does knowing Japanese culture to an acceptable extent have to do with voice acting. Are you trying to say they can't do it as well because of it? Lol. Understand the industry before you make idiotic comments like this.
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

PyronIkari

Yes... it does. Understand the industry? I've worked with two of these VA's for recording for games. Understanding the culture is kinda important if you're going to talk and discuss it carrying the capable tone and correct perspective of the character.

So, you're saying you understand the industry more than I... when I know people that are in the industry(both in Japan in the US... and pretty important people at that), and I worked with VAs and recording before. So... how are you tied into the industry?

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: LordKefka on December 15, 2007, 12:17:51 AM

Nice.

Wtf does knowing Japanese culture to an acceptable extent have to do with voice acting. Are you trying to say they can't do it as well because of it? Lol. Understand the industry before you make idiotic comments like this.

HAHAHAHA. ... You amaze me, LordKefka, you card.

Quote from: PyronIkari on December 15, 2007, 12:26:36 AM
Yes... it does. Understand the industry? I've worked with two of these VA's for recording for games. Understanding the culture is kinda important if you're going to talk and discuss it carrying the capable tone and correct perspective of the character.

So, you're saying you understand the industry more than I... when I know people that are in the industry(both in Japan in the US... and pretty important people at that), and I worked with VAs and recording before. So... how are you tied into the industry?

Why are you bothering replying to this? Shut up.

FanimaidCafe.com

LordKefka

Other than meeting with Yamaga-san as well as american voice actors in Haibane Renmei, CB, OS, and a few others in conventions with interviews? Ok.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, as I already know you're not intelligent nor experienced enough to go against. I'm just trying to say that VAs don't need to know the FULL extent, and notice I said, FULL extent, of Japanese Culture to perform the way they do. There is a difference in the US and Japanese market when it comes to Anime let alone VAs. If you know well enough, go watch CB and WR or WhR. Until then, don't talk. Well, I guess minus the exception of DN which has immature VAs.
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

LordKefka

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on December 15, 2007, 12:29:34 AM
Quote from: LordKefka on December 15, 2007, 12:17:51 AM

Nice.

HAHAHAHA. ... You amaze me, LordKefka, you card.

Why are you bothering replying to this? Shut up.

Ok Jun. I guess when it compromise against your tyrannical rule of this forum with  Mikey, it upsets you to have an opinion which goes against the idiocy of the both of your opinions combined. See you both at Fanime this year. I have tons to say. 
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

PyronIkari

Quote from: LordKefka on December 15, 2007, 12:32:45 AM
Other than meeting with Yamaga-san as well as american voice actors in Haibane Renmei, CB, OS, and a few others in conventions with interviews? Ok.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, as I already know you're not intelligent nor experienced enough to go against. I'm just trying to say that VAs don't need to know the FULL extent, and notice I said, FULL extent, of Japanese Culture to perform the way they do. There is a difference in the US and Japanese market when it comes to Anime let alone VAs. If you know well enough, go watch CB and WR or WhR. Until then, don't talk. Well, I guess minus the exception of DN which has immature VAs.

Oh wow, you met and interviewed some people. That totally trumps sitting in a recording studio with the va's, directing them, and recording lines for about 2 weeks at 9 hours a day. I have access to every single one of the VA's for Lucky Star's personal numbers by calling the office and asking for them.

CB, and WHR were not Japanese culturally based. WR was only minorly. Lucky Star's entire plot and design is about different parts and themes in Japanese culture. That was one of the big reasons a lot of people found it not funny when they watched the first two episodes. Talking about yakiniku, Japanese deserts, and the such for 10 minutes, is kind of hard to portray correctly, when the VA's haven't a clue what they're talking about. Sounding natural when discussing something you have no understanding of, is incredibly difficult. Basic themes you can fake, because you can understand where they come from. I honestly feel bad for the voice director who has to walk them through Lucky Star. Explaining each scene will be a horrible painstaking process. Konata's explainations about why she feels a certain way and why she buys things at certain stores. Point card systems, limited editions packages, random slides, bonus monthly items... all things the VA's do not understand. And they will be difficult to portray without that understanding, especially when some of them have absolutely no US equivalent to compare to.

I'm sorry though, you've interviewed the cast of Haibane... so I'm sure you know exactly how VA and studio work go right?

Jun-Watarase

So... you spoke to American VAs that had roles in anime that... didn't have much cultural differences to work with, that you met at a con, and suddenly feel like you're an expert on VAs and their job?

QuoteI'm not trying to pick a fight here, as I already know you're not intelligent nor experienced enough to go against.

Yeah, totally not picking a fight, eh?

QuoteI'm just trying to say that VAs don't need to know the FULL extent, and notice I said, FULL extent, of Japanese Culture to perform the way they do. There is a difference in the US and Japanese market when it comes to Anime let alone VAs. If you know well enough, go watch CB and WR or WhR. Until then, don't talk. Well, I guess minus the exception of DN which has immature VAs.

Yes, in some cases, it's okay to dub an anime without a full understanding of Japanese culture... but you seem to be missing the point here. That's why we said earlier that the Haruhi dub wasn't terrible-- it had Japanese refs, but the plot wasn't completely built around them. This is Lucky☆Star, a series ENTIRELLY BUILT-UP of cultural references, otaku inside-jokes, and language puns, COMPLETELY.

As for the industry, that's a totally different discussion that you somehow found relevant because the topic mentioned VAs...

FanimaidCafe.com

LordKefka

Quote from: PyronIkari on December 15, 2007, 12:41:40 AM

Oh wow, you met and interviewed some people. That totally trumps sitting in a recording studio with the va's, directing them, and recording lines for about 2 weeks at 9 hours a day. I have access to every single one of the VA's for Lucky Star's personal numbers by calling the office and asking for them.

CB, and WHR were not Japanese culturally based. WR was only minorly. Lucky Star's entire plot and design is about different parts and themes in Japanese culture. That was one of the big reasons a lot of people found it not funny when they watched the first two episodes. Talking about yakiniku, Japanese deserts, and the such for 10 minutes, is kind of hard to portray correctly, when the VA's haven't a clue what they're talking about. Sounding natural when discussing something you have no understanding of, is incredibly difficult. Basic themes you can fake, because you can understand where they come from. I honestly feel bad for the voice director who has to walk them through Lucky Star. Explaining each scene will be a horrible painstaking process. Konata's explainations about why she feels a certain way and why she buys things at certain stores. Point card systems, limited editions packages, random slides, bonus monthly items... all things the VA's do not understand. And they will be difficult to portray without that understanding, especially when some of them have absolutely no US equivalent to compare to.

I'm sorry though, you've interviewed the cast of Haibane... so I'm sure you know exactly how VA and studio work go right?

Mikey, you don't have to go on about LS with me, I already know what there is to know. You need to understand that the market here can NOT reach your expectations with Japanese fans. In other words, Lucky Star may not appeal to everyone, what is done CAN be done. Bandai is doing what it can. Honestly, just because the more "hardcore" noobs think the "noobs" can't understand PPD or Lucky Star should have them pulled from DVD release? A bit selfish no? Lucky Star targets the people WITH experience with the culture more so than Haruhi and even more so with PPD. You're saying it isn't right to release them to the public because you think the audience will reject it? Are you an idiot? You think Anime progressions throughout the years involve people who REJECT a new subculture? Pyron. STFU unless you have some intellegent to say.
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Jun-Watarase

QuoteOk Jun. I guess when it compromise against your tyrannical rule of this forum with  Mikey, it upsets you to have an opinion which goes against the idiocy of the both of your opinions combined. See you both at Fanime this year. I have tons to say.

It wasn't even about opinions, but sure. You do have a love for acting like a victim when you feel like your opinion isn't respected, somehow. I assure you, though... I wasn't upset. Rather, the hilarity from your post actually made me laugh.

Rather than waste my time at the convention, say whatever you have to say on this forum. If you find it inappropriate, make a thread in /b/. If you just want to get it off your chest, rant in your LiveJournal. =P

Quote from: LordKefka on December 15, 2007, 12:48:56 AM
Quote from: PyronIkari on December 15, 2007, 12:41:40 AM

Mikey, you don't have to go on about LS with me, I already know what there is to know. You need to understand that the market here can NOT reach your expectations with Japanese fans. In other words, Lucky Star may not appeal to everyone, what is done CAN be done. Bandai is doing what it can. Honestly, just because the more "hardcore" noobs think the "noobs" can't understand PPD or Lucky Star should have them pulled from DVD release? A bit selfish no? Lucky Star targets the people WITH experience with the culture more so than Haruhi and even more so with PPD. You're saying it isn't right to release them to the public because you think the audience will reject it? Are you an idiot? You think Anime progressions throughout the years involve people who REJECT a new subculture? Pyron. STFU unless you have some intellegent to say.

Er, it wasn't suggested that Bandai doesn't have the right to make the English DVD releases... It'd just be extremely difficult, most (if not all) jokes and puns are exclusive to Japanese culture. It being translated into English, successfully, would be quite a feat (meaning, impossible). But if you take a look at this, it isn't a discussion whether or not Bandai should do this... They're making a profit and releasing it to the masses that cannot obtain anime outside of purchasing DVDs. Rather, it's a discussion on why the translation and VAing process is going to fail.

So really, unless YOU have something intelligent to say, please have the courtesy to shut the f**k up.

FanimaidCafe.com

PyronIkari

Quote from: LordKefka on December 15, 2007, 12:48:56 AM

I'm talking about quality here. Lucky Star has low mass market appeal, but I didn't even say anything about that. They can have a DVD release, but the product will be... not good. I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE how you jumped subjects though after I proved you wrong. What happened to the original subject.

VA quality for a project. The VA's don't know much if anything about JP culture. How are they going to be able to properly VA a series that is completely about Japanese culture. I don't *reject* a new subculture at all, I am saying that, with the US' capabilities, and their selection choice in VA's... the product will turn out badly. You know what though? People will still buy it blindly, and enjoy it... despite it being a poor product. *

I should STFU unless I have some(thing) intelligent to say? Good thing I do. Do you? You seemingly argued your superiority because you met and interviewed a few VA's. Then dropped the arguement when you realized how stupid you sounded, only to bring up something that I hadn't even mentioned.

Stick to the subject please. VA quality. You can't even admit that you're wrong about this, and are just trying to attack me now. You stated, that I don't know how the industry works, when I clearly know way more than you, and have experienced way more than you, in addition to knowing way more people than you in the industry. The series shouldn't be released in the states because it doesn't work. You cannot realistically dub Lucky Star(PS, please use abbreviations that more commonly accepted. It took me a while to narrow down what series you meant since no one abbreviates it that way, as there are like 10 other shows that could be abbreviated that way) with our VA's. They don't understand the nuances, the puns, and the jokes. Frankly, the writers cannot localize the series for an American audience to understand. This release is purely for people that saw the fansubs, or friends of people that saw the fansubs who will recommend it to them. The dub, isn't going to turn out well, and the localization won't help.

Moogleborg

Quote from: PyronIkari on December 15, 2007, 01:14:05 AM

Stick to the subject please. VA quality.

Well how about we all do that instead of typing a humongously lengthy post like you, Jun and Lord Kefka have been doing Pyron!? If you guys want to argue, take it to PMing!

Now as for Lucky Stars VA quality, I won't have much of an opinion until I see it myself. ^^ But it sounds like a nice cast. ^^
Running on moé, 24/7/365.