Japan Town Anime Faire 2003

Started by wen, June 26, 2003, 01:58:04 PM

gmontem

Quote from: "RyuDOA2Hayabusa"I say we meet inside Kinokuniya...it'll be a lot easier that way, plus, everybody knows where it's at :D
Where in the Kinokuniya mall are you guys gonna meet?
Fanimafia Avatar of the Week #15: Barnes
The Fanimafia Gallery (2002-3, 7)

i feel so loved!

RyuHayabusa

In front of the bookstore, George :p
My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC

gmontem

Oh ok.  You should have said that earlier.  Remember the mall that contains the Kinokuniya Bookstore is the Kinokuniya Mall.   :P
Fanimafia Avatar of the Week #15: Barnes
The Fanimafia Gallery (2002-3, 7)

i feel so loved!

kndy

Congratulations to Ray and JTAF crew for reaching nearly 900 attendees in their first day of Japantown Anime Faire!  

There were challenges but I'm happy to see you guys overcome them!

kndy

Frozen Emotion

lol Just curious since i got there late...heh got there around 1 30 or 2 and hehe didnt feel like spending 8 bucks to go in anymore so just went around the mall with george :D and ty ~_^...and got manga (*_* mars 14 XD) and curry :P heh doubt anyone saw me but i was an asian girll that was sometimes holding a moogle ^^;; How was it? Layout wise..was there like a dealers hall thing? I only saw i think an entrance to a video room(?) cause i went to the mall through the miyako hotel.
I'm going to rub my hairy nut in your face... :twisted:
yuki wa... ._. lets beat it till it ain't funny!

kndy

Quoterll that was sometimes holding a moogle ^^;; How was it? Layout wise..was there like a dealers hall thing? I only saw i think an entrance to a video room(?) cause i went to the mall through the miyako hotel.

Layout wise, I know a few who weren't sure that there were events held in another hotel.  A few people I ran into were looking for the video game section in the Radisson Miyako but I told them it was at the Best Western Miyako.

There was a swap meet but in terms of dealers hall, there is none.  I believe the point with JTAF, to promote shopping in the Japantown area and working with the vendors throughout Japantown.  From what I heard from vendors, they were extremely happy because it brought business to them.  It's a cool event for me because it gives reason for me to travel to SF, go to Japantown and where else can I access a restaurant that serves okonomiyaki, get Japanese mags and CD's,  get takoyaki and of course access to anime and sing karaoke late at night and to get crazy with friends and travel a few miles to visit Joe's Crab House, Hard Rock Cafe or Hooters.  It's all good! :D

But for those who were wondering if another event in the Bay Area would be too much, I don't think so.  With close to 900 people show up on Saturday and most of them were local, I think that's a good indication that this event was definitely needed in the SF area.   So, I think this will help give an idea of what to plan for next year.

- kndy

Faye Valentine

Oooooh, I'm so saaaaaad...

Everyone must be in Japan Town!! I didn't have any way to get there. :'(

Someone has to tell me how it went!
...poo.

otakuya

Well, I'm here, and the con is currently going too.

I went yesterday, and that whole "gathering at Kinokuniya"....well, I'll just say it's not that organized as mall gatherings. I have my own tastes and stuff, so don't ask me about it.

Faye Valentine

...poo.

junknown

it was okay.. to me it was like any old visit to jtown. cept there were con folks there.

i didn't have a costume or anything, but i was the girl with the bun on the side of my head. i also had a hello kitty bag. [shrugs]

i liked having lunch at arang.. good times. that was the highlight of that day, not to mention going through the castro district..

the only song that was going through my mind was.. electric 6 - gay bar. damn,...it was still day light too. they sure know how to have a good time. kind of made me sad i missed the dance..

how was that by the way? the place looked real good.

Qoo~ -_-'

RyuHayabusa

I had fun..I saw some people from the fanime board that did go and I'm dead tired and with a hangover to boot :p

astroboy

I don't know what the exact reg numbers are but lets just say it was a lot more then what many people had expected, including myself. There were a couple of "doom and gloom" predictions that were made by a couple of staffers and myself while we were sitting in the con ops room friday nite the day before the con. When we got an est. of the reg numbers we were all pleasantly surprised to be proven wrong. 8)

I wanna give out a thanx to Ray at project 760 who was the evil genius who cooked up this mad plan that many said could not and should not have been done but was proven wrong! Also Mike G for creating a sense of order amiss chaos. Also a whole bunch of other people deserve a thanx but I'm too lazy to type up a list.^_^

kei

The exact reg number for JTAF are 1032 ppl.  
Isn't it great!!!!!

RyuHayabusa

yeah..I'm pleasantly surprised by the # of people that showed up. It was a success alright, but I want to know what stuff came up during the gripe session, of what has to be better done for next year's event :D I wasn't part of staff, but I would've loved to give my opinion or comments on the matter.

astroboy

compared to Fanime standards I'd have to say the gripe session was pretty tame.

What was weird is that the staff gripe session was held on the last day of the con and not like 1 week later. So you'd think with all those ideas fresh in the minds of disgruntled staffers and no time to "cool off" you'd expect a no holds bar royal rumble with people getting thrown over the top rope.

But like i said it was pretty tame compared to Fanime. LMAO 8)

asscrack

funny, i've heard numerous stories about ray n. from quite a variety of people....every year, he bitches and complains about how much he hates fanime and the staffers....yet, he shows up every year at fanime! what a fricken hypocrite.
Does my ass look fat?

SuperKawaiiNeko

Isnt that the guy who held that stupid panel about how much Fanime sucks?

So hes a serial jackass! And here I was, thinking it was just a one shot deal!

Hear that, Vice? We get to be harassed by, and subsequently berate, belittle, and otherwise degrade that fine specimen of a moron next year too!

Are you excited? ^.^ /sarcasem

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Friendly neighborhood hentai nekoboy
President, Moldimort Inc.
A new division of Neko-Spaz enterprises worldwide
I mocked Haru! Ask me how!

Attendee 1998-2001 Volunteer 2002-2008 Swap Meet Staff 2009
Head of Volunteers 2010

Kimiko

That panel you are referring to skn, has nothing to do with Ray at all. That's a completely separate group of people who ran that panel. I have no idea who they were.

And yes, JTAF came about quite nicely. If you were there, I was running registration. I was the one wearing a hat with long brown hair and taking your money ;)

We do appreciate all of your feedback, so if there is anything you'd like to see improved for next year, please do let us know.

Thanks everyone for attending, it was great seeing you all, and we look forward to an even better next year :)
2009 Costumes
Pita Ten ~ Shia
Rozen Maiden ~ Hina Ichigo
Gijinka Pokemon ~ Plusle
Salt5 ~ Abe Natsumi

RyuHayabusaDOA2

Quote from: "asscrack"funny, i've heard numerous stories about ray n. from quite a variety of people....every year, he bitches and complains about how much he hates fanime and the staffers....yet, he shows up every year at fanime! what a fricken hypocrite.

we can't ban this idiot. can we? and I know Ray and he is cool person to be with and hang out. Like I said before, he did this, he wanted to do this and he pulled it off.

otakuya

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, did anyone see and find a lost FanimeCon 2003 badge with my name on it? I lost it at the con.... :cry: