Japan Town Anime Faire 2003

Started by wen, June 26, 2003, 01:58:04 PM

SuperKawaiiNeko

Quote from: "Kimiko"That panel you are referring to skn, has nothing to do with Ray at all. That's a completely separate group of people who ran that panel. I have no idea who they were.

Horray! Now Zoidberg is the popular one!

Anyway, yeah, Im glad. I really hate that guy, and I know Im not the only one. He and his cronies were posting on here for a while after the con (you know them as PTSwhoever) and they were one of the main reasons I took my leave of absence for a while there. I didnt want to explode and get one (or both) of us banned from the boards permanently, so I took a breather. Havent seen them for a while though, and man am I glad! ^.^

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looking forward to a peaceful, relaxing, chaotic Fanime '04 - Your hentai neighborhood bisexual (go YaoiCon!) nekoperson.
President, Moldimort Inc.
A new division of Neko-Spaz enterprises worldwide
I mocked Haru! Ask me how!

Attendee 1998-2001 Volunteer 2002-2008 Swap Meet Staff 2009
Head of Volunteers 2010

Mach5Motorsport

I heard that there were a few pmx flyers at j-town  (ha ha)  I was busy Sat running the pannel room in the Radison Miyako to care.  I haven't heard the final tally for attendees since I had to get back to Sacramento on Sunday so I missed the cool dance too.   :(

Ray, Mike, Adrian, Megumi and the gang have alot of things to digest I'm sure.  Overall, I would say that JTAF went pretty well for a first-time con (and I've seen a few of them)  :wink:

your humble JTAF Live Programming Deputy Director
Brian Doan "Dieter"

Fanime Cosplay Host 2006
Fanime DerCosplay Coord. 2001-2005
Yaoi Con Cosplay Coord. 2002-2005
JTAF 1 & 2
2003 Anime Expo Cosplay, Art & Charity Host
2002 Project Akon Cosplay Host

kndy

Quote from: "asscrack"funny, i've heard numerous stories about ray n. from quite a variety of people....every year, he bitches and complains about how much he hates fanime and the staffers....yet, he shows up every year at fanime! what a fricken hypocrite.

Well, I can vouch for Ray and many, many, many other people can as well that the guy is cool.  

As for complaining, every person who goes to a con will complain about something.  The only difference is that there are some jealous people out there who tend to take those complaints and over exaggerate and blow things out of proportion.

It's always the same 3 people who have a problem with him that in the past few years, they have to go against him and it was no surprise that even when JTAF was announced, they started bashing the event right away that the Bay Area doesn't need another event and other ridiculous theories.

People have wanted to see an anime/cosplay event in Japantown and he and the staff made it happen.  

- kndy

astroboy

Quote from: "Mach5Motorsport"I heard that there were a few pmx flyers at j-town  (ha ha)  I was busy Sat running the pannel room in the Radison Miyako to care.
Wow you were there Brian? I didn't see you. Then again I was too busy trying to keep track of 21 volunteers spread across 2 hotels in Japan Town, not as "tiring" as running the info desk at Fanime though :wink:

So let's see here. The chairman of JTAF hates Fanime. The vice chair is a former Fanime staffer. And damn near most of the senior staff at JTAF are also current Fanime staff. There are JTAF staff who have issues with PMX but there were PMX flyers at JTAF. Sounds like one big happy dysfunctional family to me. LMAO.

btw we got food. yeah that's right the staff and volunteers at JTAF got fed. Thank you con ops for the cosco food runs! bottled water on a hot day == lifesaver

SuperKawaiiNeko

Whats PMX? What, does Blues finally have his own series now?

*crickets*

I mean OTHER than Viewtiful Joe!

*BRICK!* x.@

Ow....

Head of Volunteers 2010

Frozen Emotion

pacific media expo i believe.
I'm going to rub my hairy nut in your face... :twisted:
yuki wa... ._. lets beat it till it ain't funny!

CloudStrife546

Quote from: "SuperKawaiiNeko"Whats PMX? What, does Blues finally have his own series now?

*crickets*

I mean OTHER than Viewtiful Joe!

*BRICK!* x.@

Ow....

Haha.. :lol: I could totally imagine that happening SKN...

asscrack

Quote from: "kndy"
It's always the same 3 people who have a problem with him that in the past few years, they have to go against him and it was no surprise that even when JTAF was announced, they started bashing the event right away that the Bay Area doesn't need another event and other ridiculous theories.

It's far BEYOND just 3 people. Some are not even Fanime related people.

People have wanted to see an anime/cosplay event in Japantown and he and the staff made it happen.  

It's called the Cherry Blossum Festival. It's always sponsored by major companies such as Bandai, Viz, AD Vision, etc....and they've always had a cosplay parade.
Does my ass look fat?

asscrack

Does my ass look fat?

kei

Quote from: "asscrack"

It's far BEYOND just 3 people. Some are not even Fanime related people.

It's called the Cherry Blossum Festival. It's always sponsored by major companies such as Bandai, Viz, AD Vision, etc....and they've always had a cosplay parade.

hm.. i don't understand why Bay Area doesn't need another event or con.  The high number of ppl in JTAF shows that ppl need them.  If the event is too much -> number of ppl who come will drop -> less popular con will die... simple isn't it?
or maybe people who bashing so much is afraid with competition???????

we need more events so we have excuses for gathering with friends or cosplaying everyday or partying everynight  :twisted:

kndy

QuoteIt's far BEYOND just 3 people. Some are not even Fanime related people.

Yes, you are correct.  The other two are part of another con.

QuoteIt's called the Cherry Blossum Festival. It's always sponsored by major companies such as Bandai, Viz, AD Vision, etc....and they've always had a cosplay parade.

The Cherry Blossom Festival is not an all-anime/cosplay event but yes, it does have the cosplay parade which is sponsored by major companies and FYI, it's an event that Ray is involved with.

I'm all for more events and I can't wait for cities like Sacramento, more in the Central Cali. area and other areas to have events.  These events are not going to hurt AX or Fanime, these events are just providing anime-related entertainment and enjoyment for their locals.  

As for JTAF, the fact is people wanted an event in their local area and they proved that.  And from someone not living in the Bay Area, I think an anime related event in San Francisco especially in Japantown is just awesome.

kndy

SuperKawaiiNeko

Cloud: Ouch. That hurts bad, man.

kndy: Yeah, I totally agree. Ive been pulling for a Sactown con for quite some time now, and have in recent years been trying to put one together myself. Its hard to get funding when youre broke though. Hopefully I'll make a little more headway in the next few years (or acquire a partner XD) Anyway, pay no attention to my ramblings.

Head of Volunteers 2010

astroboy

Quote from: "SuperKawaiiNeko"Ive been pulling for a Sactown con for quite some time now, and have in recent years been trying to put one together myself. Its hard to get funding when youre broke though. Hopefully I'll make a little more headway in the next few years (or acquire a partner XD) Anyway, pay no attention to my ramblings.
A con in Sac-town huh? now that seems interesting. I can't imagine too many people from far away driving to Sac but hey who says a con has to attract people from far away? A local con can be successful too! I spoke to Ray and he mentioned there was a con in Fresno (yeah Fresno!) that was quite successful relatively speaking. When I say relatively successful I mean like how many people showed up at the door and paid to get in relative to your finacial expenses. Ultimately that's what matters most IMO. It's better to have a small con that is in excellent financial health rather then a bloated money losing mega con where the senior staffers are laundering money from the con.  *delicate cough*

btw if you want to do a con in Sac-town you might as well do it quickly before someone else steps in. ohhh and having $10,000 in your pocket would be a big help too. If you don't have type of money I suggest you find some people who do and practice your purssuasive speaking skills :wink:

good luck SuperKawaiiNeko

SuperKawaiiNeko

lol yeah thats the basic idea. Ive talked around a bit. Ive got a few aquantinces who work for some local businesses (magazines and the like) who seem fairly interested. Nothing major though, and I havent spoken to anyone about it in a while. Ive been kinda sitting on my butt about it lately, having financial troubles of my own. But if theres anyone out there who wants to help out in some fashion, go ahead and PM me XD Itll prolly start small. A one day/partday thing. Like anijam. Gotta see what happens, right? ^.^

Head of Volunteers 2010

Daisho

Quote from: "asscrack"PMX = Tatsucon

Yup.  Sounds about right.  Same weekend as Fanime 04, so I doubt many of you will be going unless you are in socal.
Small minds are often the same

GokuMew2

Just some pics from JTAF. ^^
http://gokumew2.kanpeki.net/jtaf/

Sorry for the bad quality. I look so stupid in some of them. x_x
< Mew >
FanimeCon Guest Relations (2009 - Present)
Person who gets Japanese guests

SuperKawaiiNeko

Head of Volunteers 2010

Frozen Emotion

i think its one of the guys from the baca boys..but im not sure.. o.O
I'm going to rub my hairy nut in your face... :twisted:
yuki wa... ._. lets beat it till it ain't funny!

GokuMew2

Quote from: "SuperKawaiiNeko"http://gokumew2.kanpeki.net/jtaf/005.jpg

Who is that and how did they make their sword?
That's Aaron as Gattsu. He's the first A in BACA for the BACA Boys. ^_^ But Baron (the B) is the one who made the sword. And I just realized I didn't get any pics of Baron as Kyou. Poo. =\ I have some Fanime ones of him though. Baron makes all of the BACA Boys' weapons. Totally awesome, na? ^^

http://www.bacaboys.com/
< Mew >
FanimeCon Guest Relations (2009 - Present)
Person who gets Japanese guests

astroboy

here's a totally kick ass pic from cosplay.com of that guy with the huge sword. notice how the wind catches the cape.

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=80098&password=&sort=1&cat=596&page=5