Where are you traveling from for Fanime?

Started by Squeeky_Moonkin, December 17, 2007, 04:48:58 PM

Jerry

Quote from: Steve.Young on April 08, 2008, 10:04:37 AM
Sad isn't it?

I work in HR. and what u just explained is what i see and have to deal with on a daily basis.  :P

Here's a megatokyo reference for kicks:
http://www.megatokyo.com/strip/3

ironically my superiors say I have too much 'heart' in this business.
heh. go figure.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on April 08, 2008, 08:02:49 AM

I'm too weak for business-- Business entails a lot more than just being blunt and honest. Even I can't be a dick enough to be in that field, and in most cases I'm a lot nicer than I need to be, but I don't put my deeds up on a pedestal for people to praise me. I'd get eaten alive. Pyron, however, would survive just fine. My best friend, who's also a close friend of Pyron, is working in business and making 6 figures about, despite the fact that he was a medical major. IIRC, he only got a job in business just a couple of months ago and was asked by a friend because he'd do well and the fact that he's a big meanie. Even Pyron thinks so. :(

But he's my best friiiiieeeend~ (Lol, are you reading this. Oh sh*t, he's watching.)

I'm currently a business major, it's pretty cutthroat when it comes to those internships everyone wants and grades (Some professors grade on a normal curve. If you don't know what a normal curve is, pay attention to math.). I run a corporation with a friend of mine who started the company when he was 16, so I'm pretty set in terms of careers, but a lot of my friends are out there killing each other. Sometimes literally and figuratively. Oh, for example in group projects, if you give any hint of weakness in your contributions to the project, the group will block you out and give you a lot of grunt work, report you as if you did nothing for the project, and essentially get you kicked off the project. It's a cruel cruel world we live in. I've seen friendships just break apart because they competed for the same jobs. One of my friends got hired at Oracle but he had to fight his best friend for the job. They aren't friends anymore. Another one of my friends got a job at AMD with my help (I introduced him to some of my business contacts there) and one of our mutual friends no longer talks to us cause I didn't help him get the job. Sad isn't it?

Augh. I am very sure I'm too weak for business. I am also very stubborn when it comes to breaking morals. While I don't present myself as the nicest person in the world, I'm never able to go the route where I have to screw someone over-- but who knows. I might treat work differently. Regardless, I'm too wishy-washy to even consider it as a major at the moment. XD

Quote from: Jerry on April 08, 2008, 10:11:20 AM
Sad isn't it?

I work in HR. and what u just explained is what i see and have to deal with on a daily basis.  :P

Here's a megatokyo reference for kicks:
http://www.megatokyo.com/strip/3

ironically my superiors say I have too much 'heart' in this business.
heh. go figure.

Lol. Ed works in Google, now. He's a MAN with a REAL JOB now. >:U

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Steve.Young

Team destroyers get fired. >=( I take a hard line against stupid people.

On another note, I'm glad I don't see it at all in my own company, cause that would make me sad. Too bad it's just how business works lol.

Google is a good company, I had a chance to meet with some of their senior staff and hopefully I'll meet more of them at computex in a couple of months (Don't remember if google will be there). The best, brightest, and most hardworking people work there. It's their business model coupled with the relaxed atmosphere that is integrated into their corporate culture that makes the company so great and innovative at the very moment. Hopefully they can keep it up.

Oh to survive in business someone will get screwed.

Whether it be the consumer, a competitor, or w/e. Someone always gets the shaft.
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

short_storiesgl

@ steve:
Really Random and Creepy but when someone said Steve today the first thing i thought of was you o_0 just thought i'd share.
Dance Staff Second

Mr Anime

Quote from: Lazarathe on March 28, 2008, 03:38:10 PM
Well, i got a 9 hour train ride from OC

Ya, it blows, i know

Wow! And I thought my 5 hour drive from the San Fernando Valley was long. Would probably make it there in less time, but the CHP will probably be out in full force since it'll be a holiday weekend.
I'm the best at what I do. And what I do isn't very nice.

Purelovely

I'm coming in from Southern Indiana. This is my 6th year at Fanime Con. キタ-----(゚∀゚)----- !!!!!
Fanime Con 2018 Cosplay:
Fri: No cosplay
Sat: ??
Sun: No cosplay
Mon: No cosplay because I'm going to Disneyland!

JTchinoy

Well I'm looking forward to my life outside of college.  Thanks Steve.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

Ntsy

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on April 08, 2008, 08:02:49 AM
Quote from: JTchinoy on April 08, 2008, 01:30:30 AM
Yay for filling out GEs mindlessly.  That was me the past 3 years, hahahaha.
If you are computer savvy, there will ALWAYS be a need for computer engineers and programmers.

AHAHAHA... You speak as if they're high on demand right now. A CIS major was my very first one... it EXTREMELY boring trying to get a degree from that. Augh.

QuoteYou seem good at telling things to people's faces, maybe you should get into business. ;) I'm a nice guy, so I don't know how I'll survive as a business manager. :)

I'm too weak for business-- Business entails a lot more than just being blunt and honest. Even I can't be a dick enough to be in that field, and in most cases I'm a lot nicer than I need to be, but I don't put my deeds up on a pedestal for people to praise me. I'd get eaten alive. Pyron, however, would survive just fine. My best friend, who's also a close friend of Pyron, is working in business and making 6 figures about, despite the fact that he was a medical major. IIRC, he only got a job in business just a couple of months ago and was asked by a friend because he'd do well and the fact that he's a big meanie. Even Pyron thinks so. :(

But he's my best friiiiieeeend~ (Lol, are you reading this. Oh sh*t, he's watching.)

Quote from: Ntsy on April 08, 2008, 04:18:38 AM
Quote from: Lazarathe on March 28, 2008, 03:38:10 PM
Well, i got a 9 hour train ride from OC

Ya, it blows, i know

I'm taking the train too so not to worry! haha (just pack your DS or PSP or laptop..or whatever)

In any way of coming (although I'll already be in California) I'll be flying allllllll the over from the Philippines! hahah I win in distance...j/k!

And that's a crazy commute. Do you do this every year?

This my first Fanime *yey* But like no, its not! I used to do it for AX but now that I'm in school, Fanime is my 'summer' convention now! hahaha

Moonblossom

Quote from: Ntsy on April 08, 2008, 04:51:56 PMThis my first Fanime *yey* But like no, its not! I used to do it for AX but now that I'm in school, Fanime is my 'summer' convention now! hahaha

Fanime is a lot more fun than AX, it's much more laid back and not as "corporate". I'm sure you'll have a blast!

Ntsy

Quote from: Moonblossom on April 09, 2008, 10:47:46 AM
Quote from: Ntsy on April 08, 2008, 04:51:56 PMThis my first Fanime *yey* But like no, its not! I used to do it for AX but now that I'm in school, Fanime is my 'summer' convention now! hahaha

Fanime is a lot more fun than AX, it's much more laid back and not as "corporate". I'm sure you'll have a blast!

Oh of course I will, because I'll be going to a wine tasting, and eating lots of epensive food on my school dollar! haha

Laid back is my kind of deal!

Ohh! could we take a take a picture together because my Canadian teacher honestly believes I don't like him because he's Canadian...(It's not true, I like him a lot, he's just easier to joke around with/make fun of!)

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: Ntsy on April 09, 2008, 03:57:18 PM
Quote from: Moonblossom on April 09, 2008, 10:47:46 AM

Oh of course I will, because I'll be going to a wine tasting, and eating lots of epensive food on my school dollar! haha

Laid back is my kind of deal!

Ohh! could we take a take a picture together because my Canadian teacher honestly believes I don't like him because he's Canadian...(It's not true, I like him a lot, he's just easier to joke around with/make fun of!)

Tell him to go back to Canadia! >=(

No, I'm kidding. Again, that's quite the commute. I had mentioned it to a friend the other day and he told me that the first time he traveled to SoCal, it was by train... from Canada. I've never really been on a train in America before, other than public transportation "trains" like CalTrain and uh, BART.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Ntsy

I think that joke between me and him has gotten a little to far because, one of my Deans is American too (plus another 2 teachers) and we play jokes on him all the time..Then my another teacher told him that American's and Canadians to get along..So I think he has it stuck in his head...but it's all in good fun!

And trust me I have told him to go back to Canada many times...All me tells me is go back to Germany...or some other country. It's all in good fun with my teachers.

*ahem* Back on topic...Yeah it is a long commute on train (even longer if I was coming STRAIGHT from plane to the train) but it will be well worth it; Seeing friends I haven't seen in years/months and on top of that meeting everyone on this forum..yay for fun-ness!

Moonblossom

Haha, if you see a tall curvy brunette with a short messy bob and most likely wearing rimless glasses, with the name Moonblossom on her nametag, feel free to bug me for a pic. :)

Knightfire

I'll just take the 23 and be there in 10 minutes.
Starting work for Fanime 2011

TC X0 Lt 0X

I'm traveling about...

20 miles North  ;D

So I'd say about a 30 min drive

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

InsaneChan

I'm coming down from Roseville, CA ^-^ [riiiight next to Sacramento].
Love. Life. fANIME.

SuppJorieeS2

Quote from: rude32 on March 11, 2008, 07:53:25 AM
Jesus, where did all these fellow central valley people come from all of a sudden? I thought I was the only one for a second there.

Duuuudee, try Lemoore.
Hahaha, which is near Hanford.
Whichhh is near Visalia?

0:
Basically, Lemoore sucks!
But there's like 12+ coming from here.

^_^