Worst thing that can happen at Fanime

Started by Niaro, December 19, 2007, 01:41:39 AM

Niaro

My first year here will be 2008. :'D Now all you experienced Fanime goers... what's the worst thing you heard of/seen?

K&K4ever

Walking around with no place to sit. That's about it for me.
The sun was raising up above the high
and dense entangled spider's web.  The dew
was dripping from the silky strings and down
through canopy to underbrush.  It splashed
the puddle making one more fountain spring.

Jerry

Not that that I'm going to go into any specific details...
but generally as a PSA announcement.

Please just be mindful of your surroundings and use common sense.  :)

Specific tips:
Dont carry large amounts of Cash unless necessary.
Some Dealers will take credit.

Be mindful of your stuff (important stuff ie laptops, portable devices, expensive stuff and fragile stuff)

Be mindful of people (stalkers, fanboy/girls, cameras from low/akward angles, and crazy tackle glompers)

Have your KEYS (room, car, and home so your not stuck someplace akward...)

DO NOT advertise your Hotel room in public (nuff said)

TAKE A SHOWER (Frebreeze and Axe/Tag DO NOT COUNT)

EAT - edible food goes into mouth (bite, chew, swallow, repeat if necessary)
DRINK RESPONSIBLY - (sip, be Hydrated with WATER, and if you cosume alcohol, please be 21+ and not make any scenes or keep in the room)

PLAY RESPONSIBLY - Enjoy to the Con and do so by following the rules and respect the wishes of others/Fanime/Convention Staff.

Time management/patience - Lines and waits are to be expected. PLease don't lose your cool, causing a situation may up end delaying you longer than necessary.

I'd Rather have a "BEST Things that happen @ Fanime" rather that seeing "Worst things that happen"

but thats just me.  :D
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Niaro

Thank you very much for the responses!

-laughs- I know, but always expect the worst, you know. Of course I'm not so negative. I'm definitely planning to have good fun! Thank you!

PyronIkari

For god's sakes... HAVE a hotel room or transportation back home/to a friends/SOMEWHERE.

A lot of idiots think going to fanime is a great idea, don't have a hotel room and expect to find a friend to crash with last minute without any money, or other such things, and end up sleeping in video rooms, hallways, and the such.

This is not smiled upon, so don't do it.

If you can't afford a hotel room, and you're traveling to the con, you shouldn't be going.

And not getting a hotel room, to save money, so you can spend it in the dealers room, is not a legitimate excuse to break the law and sleep in hallways/video rooms/etc.

Jerry

Wow.

I actually agree with you on that one Mikey, but sometimes it happens more than you think.

but again folks, no fan boys/girls sleeping bumming it on the concourse. Please find legit shelter for the night.

And sleeping in the 24-hour video rooms is also a no-no.

Besides, they take advantage of sleepers in the Yaoi/Yuri/Hentai rooms and its NOT pretty.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

phoenixphire24

Watch your money! I don't think that too many people get their things stolen, but with all the people around and shiny things to look at, it's very easy to misplace wallets/purses/etc. Then not only is your money gone, but you run the risk of angry roomies when they find out you can't pay your share of the hotel room.

Also, it's a con and you're supposed to have fun, but take care of yourself! Not only do you need to shower and sleep, but you need to eat and hydrate yourself too. There's nothing like getting sick to take the fun right out of a con. It's a good idea to pack some basic meds just in case.  :-\

Niaro

O: Thank you for the tip. I'll keep them all in mind. ( Especially the wallet thing. Don't think I'll go hobo'ing in the game rooms anytime soon )

Chewie

Quote from: Jerry on December 19, 2007, 08:50:27 AM
Not that that I'm going to go into any specific details...
but generally as a PSA announcement.

Please just be mindful of your surroundings and use common sense.  :)

Specific tips:
Dont carry large amounts of Cash unless necessary.
Some Dealers will take credit.

Be mindful of your stuff (important stuff ie laptops, portable devices, expensive stuff and fragile stuff)

Be mindful of people (stalkers, fanboy/girls, cameras from low/akward angles, and crazy tackle glompers)

Have your KEYS (room, car, and home so your not stuck someplace akward...)

DO NOT advertise your Hotel room in public (nuff said)

TAKE A SHOWER (Frebreeze and Axe/Tag DO NOT COUNT)

EAT - edible food goes into mouth (bite, chew, swallow, repeat if necessary)
DRINK RESPONSIBLY - (sip, be Hydrated with WATER, and if you cosume alcohol, please be 21+ and not make any scenes or keep in the room)

PLAY RESPONSIBLY - Enjoy to the Con and do so by following the rules and respect the wishes of others/Fanime/Convention Staff.

Time management/patience - Lines and waits are to be expected. PLease don't lose your cool, causing a situation may up end delaying you longer than necessary.

I'd Rather have a "BEST Things that happen @ Fanime" rather that seeing "Worst things that happen"

but thats just me.  :D

QFE'd.

localuvr

Quote from: Niaro on December 20, 2007, 04:18:56 AM
O:  Don't think I'll go hobo'ing in the game rooms anytime soon
Sure. That's what you say now. But when you get there, sometimes, it just ends up happening. I mean, I didn't do it (I have family close by who let me crash at theirs), but plenty of people end up doing it, and not noticing till later.

One other thing you might want to be aware of: if you cosplay, or wear a "GLOMP ME!" sign, you will most likely be glomped. possibly violently. So just be prepared (even though glomps are fun for me). And if you do cosplay, be ready for people to ask to take your picture, and random people coming up to you and stuff.

But all in all, Fanime is a REALLY cool place, and there's really cool people there. So just have fun.  :)
I may be wearing the skirt on top, but underneath, I'm wearing the pants.

IamTetsuo

The worst thing that can happen at Fanime?

Obviously that would be not having a good time!  Make sure to follow all of the rules, and listen to the suggestions in this thread and in others across this board to ensure that nothing ruins a good con experience.

Glitch

Quote from: localuvr on December 20, 2007, 03:16:32 PM
Sure. That's what you say now. But when you get there, sometimes, it just ends up happening. I mean, I didn't do it (I have family close by who let me crash at theirs), but plenty of people end up doing it, and not noticing till later.
Unless Niaro is that type of person, I really doubt it will happen to our friend here. That mostly happens because of very poor planning. No offense to you personally.

localuvr

Quote from: Glitch on December 21, 2007, 10:19:29 AM
Quote from: localuvr on December 20, 2007, 03:16:32 PM
Unless Niaro is that type of person, I really doubt it will happen to our friend here. That mostly happens because of very poor planning. No offense to you personally.
That's okay, it's not offending to say that. I'm just saying that it happens. T.T it happened to a cousin of mine in a different con, and he thought that he'd planned everything out
I may be wearing the skirt on top, but underneath, I'm wearing the pants.

Reinna

If you cosplay, bring a sewing/repair kit, just in case a prop breaks/seams split/something tears/etc.etc.  It really sucks to have worked hard on a costume, only to have it die on you the day you get to wear it at the con.

Niaro

Ooh, understood. Got it for the sewing kit thing.

And yes, thank you. I'm not the type to inconvenience others by doing things I'm not suppose to. If I didn't plan right it'll be my fault but instead of sleeping somewhere I'd just call my father to pick me up. Of course I really don't know how people don't know if they'll stay or not. I mean it's like, you either got a place to sleep or don't. :'D;

Jyunishinsho

Worst thing that can happen?

Cancellation.

Let's hope that NEVER happens. :O

otakuya

Quote from: Jyunishinsho on December 23, 2007, 12:04:48 AM
Cancellation.
Some very small panels and/or events may be expected (postponed more likely), but the entire con? NO!

Shinsengumi

Quote from: K&K4ever on December 19, 2007, 08:27:02 AM
Walking around with no place to sit. That's about it for me.

Same goes to me.
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

SadisticAion

Uhhh I say losing items bought from the dealers room and loosing cell phone... (which is not cool) I even lost my reg. Badge that evening... I got lucky because it was before I left....

And other than that.... I'd say... costume falls off body while parading around in it..

sunrise-oasis

HERES A WORST THING OF LISTS THAT CAN HAPPEN IF IT DOES STRIKES TO YOU!

1) trip to fanime - Your the only one supplying for Gasoline and parking..that wil cost you 20 bucks plus 10.50 for the parking!!!!!!!!
2) Finding food:: sure the restuarants are nice but the place around fanime is nothing but bars and weird places...ESPECIALLY WHEN you cross a sectino next to jack in box and see a bunch of  (exploit message due to racism comments) and you feel like your going to get mugged. AND YES there are cops in that area patrolling.....and would beleive this was a Friday/saturday night)
3) cosplayers...
its bad enough to dress your best for cosplaying but my cosplaying outfit did not go well. the sewing mechine was falling apart and constant broken needles happen (its not that i press to hard its just something happening the way i handle with machineery), Also its saddens me that in the group...only 2 people are Very talented artist..one being a leader and 2 being pawns! (chess pieces). ANywya my wig did'nt look like how i wanted it *Leader was helping* my pawns are not doing anything *useless talents* and my Second leader (second talented artist) did his very best to fix my outfit..in return all i did was cry... Cry because everyone is better than me...Regardless of age, sex gender....................

maybe its because i wanted to be the best i can be but in the end i blame myself to be the worst..... I guess in life i wanted to be like Pikmin link..... sincere strong and noble...... but comparing her to me..im just..........nothing....!

hotel: its always best to have alot ofpeople you can trust on to pitch in for hotels!!! try not to feel sad or lonely your friends will be there to help you for comfort and epathy  ^ ^!!!!!!

BRING extra batteries because my camera dies alot of times.....
also chewie is right...

*Please just be mindful of your surroundings and use common sense*

I suggest to cosplay and join in some gatherings.. you can make new friends and feel relaxed....if you feel sad and rediculous i recommend to stay calm and be strong!

*btw im going to say this once =_= to everyone's response to this message
POST A NEGATIVE and i will beat you down with my cosplay outfit..........!!! you can blame me for Being poor but you canot blame me..for your solutions!!