Non-Anime Cosplays: What do You Think?

Started by Druix, December 22, 2007, 12:11:45 PM

Tur713

Quote from: Death_Note_Matt on January 16, 2008, 10:51:40 PM
Quote from: Tur713 on January 15, 2008, 06:01:16 PM
Quote from: Death_Note_Matt on January 12, 2008, 11:56:37 AM
I don't really care to much for non-anime / Video game cosplayers.
They should stick to their own things and convention...because its just weird seeing them at Fanime.
Seriously I don't mind but is strange. That would be like going to a star-wars convention dressed as Rikku or Sailor Moon, some anime or Video game character.
I know that some people would probably bitch about it [The hard core fans of SW]. Because you don't belong there.

I can understand being irked by Star Wars (which it clearly American), but why video games? Most originate in Japan and many are drawn in typical anime style. Where exactly would you draw the line on that? And how about games that spawn animes? Are they then valid now that they're animated? Not to flame or anything, but I'm having trouble with your logic.

I am talking about cosplayers  from American movies Like Kill Bill, Sweeny Todd ect.

I don't mind if its a cosplayer from a Video game, its all good, but people from movies should stop DX

and sorry for using Star-war because its in pa Game I forgot all about that..Sorry.
Okay, that makes more sense then. Like I said, I can understand why cosplaying American movies might bug you, but the video games is what threw me before. ;)
Founder - Fanime Dating Dojo

jenzee

I'm thinking of going as Cassandra Cain http://bp2.blogger.com/_kxF371gMSro/RyJ6WDUqWaI/AAAAAAAAAkc/nkUNWH3JDyw/s1600-h/scan0063.jpg, the latest Batgirl for one of the days XD. If people harass me I'll just beat them up!!!  ::)

IshokuOsero

What I'm wondering is this:
Are cosplaying Jrockers counted towards non Anime cosplay since it really isn't Anime or are they frowned upon at conventions?
Say I came there as Kanon from An Cafe... would that get frowning as much/often as if I went there as someone from an American show like Futurama or Star Wars?

I know someone also was talking about how they don't like it if there are non-anime / video game characters at conventions because they have their own. Jrock cosplayers don't have their own convention, so does that make it okay?

I say that because although I'm going as rockstar Nana from ... well, the manga Nana, I'm also going as Kanon from An Cafe and probably another Jrocker as well.

Tur713

Quote from: IshokuOsero on January 20, 2008, 09:17:44 PM
Are cosplaying Jrockers counted towards non Anime cosplay since it really isn't Anime or are they frowned upon at conventions?
Say I came there as Kanon from An Cafe... would that get frowning as much/often as if I went there as someone from an American show like Futurama or Star Wars?

I know someone also was talking about how they don't like it if there are non-anime / video game characters at conventions because they have their own. Jrock cosplayers don't have their own convention, so does that make it okay?

I say that because although I'm going as rockstar Nana from ... well, the manga Nana, I'm also going as Kanon from An Cafe and probably another Jrocker as well.
No, no, I'm sure nobody will give you any problems with that. Most, if not all, Japanese derived cosplays are accepted. If someone gives you crap, I give you full permission to kick people in the shins. (Which will get you as far as, "But that guy Tur713 on the forums said it was ok." Followed by, "Tur who? I'm sorry miss, but we're gonna have to take you downtown for booking." ...My permission doesn't stretch very far...)
Founder - Fanime Dating Dojo

IshokuOsero

Quote from: Tur713 on January 21, 2008, 01:19:53 AM
Quote from: IshokuOsero on January 20, 2008, 09:17:44 PM

No, no, I'm sure nobody will give you any problems with that. Most, if not all, Japanese derived cosplays are accepted. If someone gives you crap, I give you full permission to kick people in the shins. (Which will get you as far as, "But that guy Tur713 on the forums said it was ok." Followed by, "Tur who? I'm sorry miss, but we're gonna have to take you downtown for booking." ...My permission doesn't stretch very far...)

Ah, okay. Well that's good to hear then. x3
I just figured I'd do some simple cosplays this year since it's my first one and there are a few of my favorite Jrockers that have pretty easy outfits, so I was guessing that's best. I don't want to end up going as like.. Rei from Evangelion or something, and have my outfit look horrible because I can't sew worth a damn yet. ^^;