Non-Anime Cosplays: What do You Think?

Started by Druix, December 22, 2007, 12:11:45 PM

Druix

Last year, I met a lot of non-anime people. A lot of random pirates, a Valentine from MirrorMask, the Goblin King from Labyrinth, Elphaba from Wicked, two Pouncivals from CATS......I was just wondering what are other peoples' thoughts on non-anime costumes at an anime convention? Personally, I like them, because the people that do them usually do good jobs and it's always fun to see some of those characters, even if it's not 'their' convention.

2010 Cosplays:
~Sasuke Uchiha (Naruto: Shippuuden)
~Katara (Avatar Book 3)
~Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)
~Cain (Starfighter)
~Sebastian (Kuroshitsuji)

Ayamachi

I love 'em. Right now I am SO jealous of you seeing Valentine and Jareth, I would've loved to have seen those cosplays! For the past couple of years at Otakon there's been a Dread Pirate Roberts (who has an awesome costume, but really needs to learn how to pose) from The Princess Bride, and this year he had an R.O.U.S. with him. XD

Hell, FFVII AC isn't anime and it's based off a game, and yet it's become a con staple no matter where you go. I rank non-anime cosplays up there with obscure  anime cosplays - awesome to see pulled off, and great additions to the mix in general.
Alternate personalities for Fanime 2008:
TimeJump Hinata: 9%
Koumei: 8%
Black Jack: 67%
Gwendal: 38%

Miss Yomiko

It is fun to see those characters. It is refreshing and unexpected. My sister wants to dress up as Helena from My Chemical Romance's music video, her costume is going to be pretty cool. xD

Devi 1313

I like them, I think they add a little more variety to the con.
Fanime 2023:
Wario
Eda Clawthorne Season 1 & 2
Reagan Ridley

https://www.facebook.com/Devi1313

Druix

Wow.....So I was talking about my '08 cosplay plans, and I mentioned wanting to be Nellie Lovett from Sweeney Todd, and one of my friends said that at cons, non-anime cosplayers have sometimes been met with hostility and even minor violence on occasion!! I had no idea....Does anyone know how often this happens?

2010 Cosplays:
~Katara (Avatar Book 3)
~Cain (Starfighter)

Sai_The_Righteous

sometimes people harass non-anime cosplayers.....
and possibly spank you with a yaoi paddle >.>

Hodge Bodge

Non-anime cosplayers add a new dimension to the con, plus it's really cool to see crossovers like Auron from Final Fantasy taking a sword to Optimus Prime and Star Wars Stormtrooper.
100% glomp friendly, Bring on the pain!  :X

Ayamachi

The only non-anime cosplay violence I've seen was this:

Jack Sparrow battles Snakes On A Plane! FUCKING SWEET.
Alternate personalities for Fanime 2008:
TimeJump Hinata: 9%
Koumei: 8%
Black Jack: 67%
Gwendal: 38%

hijou

I think non-anime cosplays are really cool :3

I'm doing one this year! :3
.:: Cosplays ::.

Kusano Akira [ Nobuta wo Produce ] ~ Undecided
Yukimura Seiichi [ Prince of Tennis ] ~ Undecided

Death_Note_Matt

I don't really care to much for non-anime / Video game cosplayers.
They should stick to their own things and convention...because its just weird seeing them at Fanime.
Seriously I don't mind but is strange. That would be like going to a star-wars convention dressed as Rikku or Sailor Moon, some anime or Video game character.
I know that some people would probably bitch about it [The hard core fans of SW]. Because you don't belong there.
Another Player has Entered the Game

Kazuma_uzumaki

to me as long as it's pretty good or funny then it's fine with me. Like i saw a power rangers cosplay, some star wars, POC, etc.

and most game cosplay are consider anime because of the style and the people on deviantart >_>

Farfie_Girl

I don't know if anyone saw the Dr. Zoidberg last year. He was awesome though I couldn't get a picture of him, my costume got in the way >.>

I don't mind the least bit, in fact I'm going as Barbossa from PotC one day. The rest are anime but I like the brave souls that tread into anime territory. I just missed the Star Wars group on Saturday, I was leaving as they strolled up but they were awesome.
I believe I am in Hell, therefore I am

-Costumes-
Farfarello (Weiss Kreuz) '09, 85%
Hector Barbossa (PotC) '09, 90%
Possible Chowder (Chowder) '09, 0%

Runewitt

I saw Zoidberg, but... my camera it was dead.. i tried doing a Shrek cosplay last year, but my ears broke in the luggage and i didnt bring stuff to fix them, so i walked around with a stuffed donkey and the shirt+vest. i failed.
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.

Nanashi

As long as it's funny or is done well, I enjoy it quite a bit. Unless it's furry, in which case my blood boils and my rage burns like the heat of a thousand suns.
Co-Captain/"The one who talks too much" of MANime!
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,17203.0.html

Druix

Quote from: Nanashi on January 15, 2008, 04:45:20 AM
As long as it's funny or is done well, I enjoy it quite a bit. Unless it's furry, in which case my blood boils and my rage burns like the heat of a thousand suns.

o_o Er...any reason?

2010 Cosplays:
~Katara (Avatar Book 3)
~Cain (Starfighter)

Nightroad

I don't mind non anime cosplay. Sometimes its REALLY fun to see them! Last year I danced with a storm trooper at the black and white ball!!! :D
Check out my fairly rescent DA account!
I wanna see my fanime friends on there!
http://robotdreams.deviantart.com/

rude32

Quote from: Farfie_Girl on January 14, 2008, 09:40:17 PM
I don't know if anyone saw the Dr. Zoidberg last year. He was awesome though I couldn't get a picture of him, my costume got in the way >.>

I don't mind the least bit, in fact I'm going as Barbossa from PotC one day. The rest are anime but I like the brave souls that tread into anime territory. I just missed the Star Wars group on Saturday, I was leaving as they strolled up but they were awesome.
Hell yes, that Dr. Zoidberg rawkd. He even ran around like Zoidberg did, he totally fit the part completely.
A hero forever loyal to the flames of war now rests in Outer Heaven

RUDE: Rub Up Desperate Elephants- Thanks shy-cosplayer

Tur713

Quote from: Death_Note_Matt on January 12, 2008, 11:56:37 AM
They should stick to their own things and convention...because its just weird seeing them at Fanime.
Seriously I don't mind but is strange. That would be like going to a star-wars convention dressed as Rikku or Sailor Moon, some anime or Video game character.
I know that some people would probably bitch about it [The hard core fans of SW]. Because you don't belong there.
I can understand being irked by Star Wars (which it clearly American), but why video games? Most originate in Japan and many are drawn in typical anime style. Where exactly would you draw the line on that? And how about games that spawn animes? Are they then valid now that they're animated? Not to flame or anything, but I'm having trouble with your logic.
Founder - Fanime Dating Dojo

Ari

Quote from: Sai_The_Righteous on January 02, 2008, 08:53:20 PM
sometimes people harass non-anime cosplayers.....
and possibly spank you with a yaoi paddle >.>

From what i understand the yaoi paddle was banned from the convention due to people complaining about being harassed at other conventions

Death_Note_Matt

Quote from: Tur713 on January 15, 2008, 06:01:16 PM
Quote from: Death_Note_Matt on January 12, 2008, 11:56:37 AM

I can understand being irked by Star Wars (which it clearly American), but why video games? Most originate in Japan and many are drawn in typical anime style. Where exactly would you draw the line on that? And how about games that spawn animes? Are they then valid now that they're animated? Not to flame or anything, but I'm having trouble with your logic.

I am talking about cosplayers  from American movies Like Kill Bill, Sweeny Todd ect.

I don't mind if its a cosplayer from a Video game, its all good, but people from movies should stop DX

and sorry for using Star-war because its in pa Game I forgot all about that..Sorry.
Another Player has Entered the Game