Don't Ever Drink From Hotel Glasses

Started by Kouri Neko, December 27, 2007, 12:03:12 PM

Hanha

Quote from: PyronIkari on December 27, 2007, 01:11:10 PM
Not suprised, but it's rather bias'ed.

The same can be said about almost anything anywhere. Many restaurants are that different in terms of just glasses or silverware, or plates etc.

But then you look at other things. How often does a bus clean its interior. How often are gas station pumps really sanitized, public bathrooms, anything at Bart. The sheets and blankets aren't cleaned very well at all, but neither are the majority of the things at any store. Any of you ever work a retail job and share stories about how "well the store was cleaned"? Chances are the things you pick up on shelves to read, receipts, counter tops, etc. never get really sanitized other than a spray down of some surface cleaner.

People are overly paranoid because of the *CHANCE* of getting something. But the chances are extremely low, and in most cases it's visible if something is that dirty. In which case the glass WOULD be taken and replaced and put in a dishwasher(if there were stains or other things).

Here, I'll use a fun one. The ketchup dispenser at McDonalds, the napkin dispenser, the straw dispenser, and sauce bottles. You think those are sanitized... or... even ever replaced? That sauce bottle has just been refilled over and over and over and over again for the past some odd 3 years. It was hillarious one time when I saw a sauce bottle at a restaurant with an over due date of about 2 1/2 years because they just use the bottle and refill it constantly.

If you're going to go with odds, the chances of you getting something from drinking from a hotel glass(that you can clean yourself) is about as likely as you getting something equally as bad by going out to a restaurant and eating. Odds are on my side, so I don't mind it.

You have a good point, but these aren't things that usually have direct contact with our orifices, thus lack of germ exposure. However, glasses contain saliva and who knows what else.

Yay, influenza :D

Mana_riot

I'm not too much a germaphobe I suppose I'm really not going to worry about it. I bring my own drinks anyway

SuperKawaiiNeko

Quote from: sunrise-oasis on January 20, 2008, 01:18:13 AM
Quote from: AbsolutelyCursed on January 14, 2008, 10:43:04 PM
Mental note: bring a hand sanitizer

it gets worse....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=e46bRGsVHM8
heres your hand sanitizer!!

personally, me and my friends bring bottle of water and 2 boxes of Ramune (1box = 32 bottles)
also thanks for the tip about the Glass, that really explains why i felt ill!!!

No, it doesn't. It really, REALLY doesn't. That is circumstantial evidence at the very VERY best. Allow me to draw you a paralell.

Imagine you went to New York, and saw a billboard there. Then, afterwards, someone tells you "Did you know that billboards in New York are sometimes put up by FAIRIES?!" So now you're saying "Well, I *did* see a billboard in New York. It must have also been put up by fairies!!"

There is absolutely no evidence that hotel room glasses have ever given anyone any sort of sickness at Fanime. Ever. None. Zero. Just because it is POSSIBLE that someone somewhere maybe at some time MIGHT have gotten or will get sick does not mean that it is something you need to worry about. Seriously, these are four star hotels. High quality establishments that are carefully regulated by the government and various public and private health organizations. If it were a significant health risk, they wouldn't be allowed to handle it the way they do. Come on, guys. This is the Hilton and the Marriott we're talking about, not some seedy dive in the red light district. You are much much MUCH more likely to get sick just by being at con with all those people than you are to get sick from a cup at one of those hotels. If you're seriously worried about that, I suggest never EVER going outside again, because you have a better chance of being abducted by aliens than you do getting sick from something like that.

I'm ashamed of whoever made such a sensationalist piece of crap. Two words: Irresponsible Journalism
President, Moldimort Inc.
A new division of Neko-Spaz enterprises worldwide
I mocked Haru! Ask me how!

Attendee 1998-2001 Volunteer 2002-2008 Swap Meet Staff 2009
Head of Volunteers 2010

princesstabbi

:o
eeeekkkkk

i hope those housekeepers drink outta some dirty glasses

thats nasty

*princess*taBBi<3

M

Quote from: princesstabbi on April 01, 2008, 07:41:49 PM
eeeekkkkk

i hope those housekeepers drink outta some dirty glasses

thats nasty

Two things:
1) Please don't add a reply unless you're adding something to the post.
2) This is just a personal observation, but colored text (esp. bright ones) can be annoying depending on the user's monitor setting.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

Jun-Watarase

Bah. Overly paranoid. People who've posted actual content in previous posts had already made their points.

I'd like to add that alcohol kills bacteria. HURR. : D

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

otakuapprentice

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on April 02, 2008, 05:37:58 PM
Bah. Overly paranoid. People who've posted actual content in previous posts had already made their points.

I'd like to add that alcohol kills bacteria. HURR. : D
hence why my room is gonna be full of the stuff(the kind u drink).

i don't drink out of the hotel glasses, since I'm almost always on the con floor(my room is a glorified storage locker, LOL); i just get some water from either the fountains or the water dispensers the have placed.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

Lucifargundam

Quote from: Kouri Neko on December 27, 2007, 12:03:12 PM
If you travel or stay in hotels, you have to watch this.  I'm not sure if the Fanime Hotel rooms will have glasses, but if they do, you may want to consider not using them in the near future. 

Click here: Don't Ever Drink From Hotel Glasses
http://www.bestviral.com/video/6629/dont_ever_drink_from_hotel_glasses

great... now you tell me.

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

BumbleB

Yes I can go to Fanime!

Sunday:Shinigami Rukia- Bleach
*proud member of Prop Whores United <3*

Steve.Young

Quote from: SuperKawaiiNeko on April 01, 2008, 01:50:58 AM
Quote from: sunrise-oasis on January 20, 2008, 01:18:13 AM
Quote from: AbsolutelyCursed on January 14, 2008, 10:43:04 PM
Mental note: bring a hand sanitizer

it gets worse....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=e46bRGsVHM8
heres your hand sanitizer!!

personally, me and my friends bring bottle of water and 2 boxes of Ramune (1box = 32 bottles)
also thanks for the tip about the Glass, that really explains why i felt ill!!!

No, it doesn't. It really, REALLY doesn't. That is circumstantial evidence at the very VERY best. Allow me to draw you a paralell.

Imagine you went to New York, and saw a billboard there. Then, afterwards, someone tells you "Did you know that billboards in New York are sometimes put up by FAIRIES?!" So now you're saying "Well, I *did* see a billboard in New York. It must have also been put up by fairies!!"

There is absolutely no evidence that hotel room glasses have ever given anyone any sort of sickness at Fanime. Ever. None. Zero. Just because it is POSSIBLE that someone somewhere maybe at some time MIGHT have gotten or will get sick does not mean that it is something you need to worry about. Seriously, these are four star hotels. High quality establishments that are carefully regulated by the government and various public and private health organizations. If it were a significant health risk, they wouldn't be allowed to handle it the way they do. Come on, guys. This is the Hilton and the Marriott we're talking about, not some seedy dive in the red light district. You are much much MUCH more likely to get sick just by being at con with all those people than you are to get sick from a cup at one of those hotels. If you're seriously worried about that, I suggest never EVER going outside again, because you have a better chance of being abducted by aliens than you do getting sick from something like that.

I'm ashamed of whoever made such a sensationalist piece of crap. Two words: Irresponsible Journalism

+1
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

LordKefka

Quote from: BumbleB on May 02, 2009, 05:33:58 PM
So THIS is why we have swine flu!

I don't know how you can even make a joke out of something like this. I hope you don't believe in karma  :-X
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Jidai Geki

QuoteHere, I'll use a fun one. The ketchup dispenser at McDonalds, the napkin dispenser, the straw dispenser, and sauce bottles. You think those are sanitized... or... even ever replaced? That sauce bottle has just been refilled over and over and over and over again for the past some odd 3 years. It was hillarious one time when I saw a sauce bottle at a restaurant with an over due date of about 2 1/2 years because they just use the bottle and refill it constantly.

Food dispensers are required to be emptied and sanitized at the end of each operational day (mcDs hygiene policy and requirement by County Health)... mcD's is a stickler for this and I've seen it from both points of view.  In High school, McD's gave me my first steady job... worked there for 3 1/2-years.  Unless you've worked the closing shift for one of their stores, you won't know what it's like to clean and sanitize ALL of the food service equipment.  6-years later, out of college, I took a part-time job at a resturant hygiene company... I was a plain-clothed evaluator.  I did several McDs while I was there and my 3+years experience trained me to spot when something wasn't done right, especially around the drink fountains.

I work as an Eng. Techie for a custom manufacturer now... And believe me, we can build almost anything.  As for food service equipment, such as napkin and drink straw dispensers... They must be made out of industry standardized materials... Usually food grade stainless-steel or steel with chrome-plating.  McD's started using Eco-friendly cardboard dispensers a while back, but it still must meet food safety requirements.  Micro-organisms cannot survive on surfaces without a media for them to live... Typically, food residue or biological waste.  There's a good probability you won't find either food residue or biological waste inside the napkin or straw dispenser... If you do, just let the strore manager know.

Finally, as for condiment at the tables... I don't use them... I had an experience at IHOP once where some dumb@zz switched the contents of the sugar and salt.  I ended up putting 2-spoons of salt into my coffee that morning... Anyone else out there know what that tastes like???  It got me thinking, the people at the table before me could have mixed something more serious in those containers and wouldn't have known...  Now, I exercise due caution when I'm out and about.

Kupo

I used a glass to rinse my mouth after brushing my teeth.

Am I going to die? O_O