From what I gather. . .

Started by yamaneko, January 16, 2008, 04:26:22 PM

yamaneko

. . . it seems that minors can't buy weapons from the con, but what about bringing them from home? I was going to do a sort of 'murderous school girl' cosplay for the first day, and was going to bring an unsharpened katana from home (which I received at my dojo). Is this allowed? o.o

And sorry if this isn't supposed to be here. >.<
Stephie Z.
2007 - Video Programming staff
2008 - Allen Walker (D.Gray-man) / Panels staff

(list subject to change based on budget and time issues)

GokuMew2

No weapons are allowed at the con. Notice that when they are bought, they are boxed and you're not allowed to brandish them during the con. In short, a katana (even if unsharpened) would not be allowed at the convention.

Prop guidelines will probably be up on the site at a later date.
< Mew >
FanimeCon Guest Relations (2009 - Present)
Person who gets Japanese guests

sunrise-oasis

Weapons are never allowed. and if you bring a one, you may be asked to leave!
However Cosplay props may be allowed but must be checked by "con-ops" and peace bond them. Also must agree that you will never swing it or hit anyone, yatta yatta yatta..

if you want to bring a cosplay prop, i recommend to either make one out of foam boards, or Go to a store that sells a plastic sword! (And safe to use). Maybe ebay might have it!!! or craigs list. Also check http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/board,40.0.html  (stuff i can make thread). Maybe someone can help out!!

FanFicGuru

Quote from: GokuMew2 on January 16, 2008, 06:24:28 PM
No weapons are allowed at the con. Notice that when they are bought, they are boxed and you're not allowed to brandish them during the con. In short, a katana (even if unsharpened) would not be allowed at the convention.

Um... last year at Fanime I had an unsharpened katana peace-bonded and walked around the convention with it.

But...I'm not a minor. So I think that minors aren't allowed to have weapons on them of any kind? In any case, as long as it's peace bonded (at least last year this was the case) swords were allowed. I did it with my fanime collectible sword.

Fun fun!
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

yamaneko

Ok, thx!

Unfortunately, a plastic imitation just doesn't look as good as the original. :\ Guess that stamps out that idea.
Stephie Z.
2007 - Video Programming staff
2008 - Allen Walker (D.Gray-man) / Panels staff

(list subject to change based on budget and time issues)

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: FanFicGuru on January 17, 2008, 10:51:21 AM

Um... last year at Fanime I had an unsharpened katana peace-bonded and walked around the convention with it.

I think it depends on how lenient the staffer that checked you was. In most cases, they probably wouldn't have let it slide.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

sunrise-oasis

They were'nt supposed to do that!!!!!!!!

and I did saw some cosplayers had cosplay katana's which was made of "NOT METAL" but they were very light. ONe of my friends got his from ebay. Another of my friends bought real katana and then go to a wood carving school to carve it. then he order shimmer paper (or silver leaf works too) and decorates it as well!!!!
BUt i am very sure con ops made a huge mistake..surprise you did'nt get caught from the actual Entrance to the event rooms! THey will ask if its peacebonded!

Quote from: FanFicGuru on January 17, 2008, 10:51:21 AM

But...I'm not a minor. So I think that minors aren't allowed to have weapons on them of any kind? In any case, as long as it's peace bonded (at least last year this was the case) swords were allowed. I did it with my fanime collectible sword.

Fun fun!

Shinigami

I don't mean to threadjack or anything, but since we're talking about bringing weapons, are bokkens allowed (wooden swords) as a katana substitute? Or do weapons have to be plastic? Last year I needed a katana but brought a bokken instead, but I never took it out of my hotel room because I decided not to be that character after all. I know a lot of people make props out of wood, but I don't think they're usually meant for use like a bokken. So, are bokkens allowed?

phoenixphire24

Quote from: Shinigami on January 19, 2008, 03:01:17 PM
I don't mean to threadjack or anything, but since we're talking about bringing weapons, are bokkens allowed (wooden swords) as a katana substitute? Or do weapons have to be plastic? Last year I needed a katana but brought a bokken instead, but I never took it out of my hotel room because I decided not to be that character after all. I know a lot of people make props out of wood, but I don't think they're usually meant for use like a bokken. So, are bokkens allowed?

I don't work for Fanime, so this is not official, but last year I wore one with my Bleach cosplay and had no problems with the staff. I had it peace bonded (more a formality to show I understood the rules) and no one bothered me. I also brought an unsharpened katana the year before, and had it peace bonded so that the sword would not come out of the sheath and it was attached to my costume. Again, no problems from the staff.

Jun-Watarase

It's sort of iffy, I think. IF I recall correctly, you're not supposed to bring wooden weapons (ie bokken, shinai, etc.) to the convention, but some staff are more lenient and let it go anyway. To completely abide by the rules without complication is to either bring a light/harmless substitute like foam, plastic, etc, or not at all. I hard a hard time inquiring about weaponry, myself, and it proves to be quite troublesome. And even if you can bring them, some things are peacebonded to the point that they're pointless to bring altogether-- like prop guns sometimes are peacebonded to their holsters so you can't take them out to pose with. Sometimes, the silliest things get peacebonded, too... like people's signs, plushies, what have you.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Shinigami

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on January 20, 2008, 01:37:25 AM
It's sort of iffy, I think. IF I recall correctly, you're not supposed to bring wooden weapons (ie bokken, shinai, etc.) to the convention, but some staff are more lenient and let it go anyway. To completely abide by the rules without complication is to either bring a light/harmless substitute like foam, plastic, etc, or not at all. I hard a hard time inquiring about weaponry, myself, and it proves to be quite troublesome. And even if you can bring them, some things are peacebonded to the point that they're pointless to bring altogether-- like prop guns sometimes are peacebonded to their holsters so you can't take them out to pose with. Sometimes, the silliest things get peacebonded, too... like people's signs, plushies, what have you.

I understand signs, since peacebonding is more of a way to make sure you understand the rules, and signs are frowned upon, but... plushies? How big/heavy were the plushies? Were people using them to attack others?

Last year I had my cheap plastic lightsabers peacebonded so many times. The first thing I did after waking up was go get them peacebonded because I wanted to be a good con-goer. But then the plastic ties fell off and I lost them. One of the bands was giving autographs, so my plan was to go buy their CD and get their autograph for my friend, and then head back to get them peacebonded. Well, on my way I was asked by three different people to get my lightsabers peacebonded. On my way out of the autograph room though (I don't remember where it was.. dealer's hall maybe?) One guy actually stopped me and peacebonded them for me because he had the stuff with him. Of course, I only needed the lightsabers peacebonded to show that I understand the rules, because they're the kind where if I hit someone with them they'll either break, bend, or retract. But I learned of something really cool that day... wandering emergency peacebonders.

iNSOMNiAC

Quote from: Shinigami on January 20, 2008, 09:23:07 AM
Quote from: Jun-Watarase on January 20, 2008, 01:37:25 AM

I understand signs, since peacebonding is more of a way to make sure you understand the rules, and signs are frowned upon, but... plushies? How big/heavy were the plushies? Were people using them to attack others?

Hey... If I hadn't gotten my Pikachu plushie peacebonded, there could have been many casualties that year... My Pikachu ain't tame, you see. x3

Anyways, on subject, from my experience, they will let you walk around with a sheathed, peacebonded weapon only if it goes with your cosplay... For example, they wouldn't let me, as a Rocket Grunt, carry around Sephiroth's sword, but they let my friend, who was a ninja, get it peacebonded shut and carry it around. So there is always that to consider... Though they might only do this with swords and such, I'm not too sure.