Tire Blowout On 880 In Milpitas

Started by ININ, January 17, 2008, 06:33:45 PM

ININ

I want to share an incident Saturday January 12 around 10:15am on my way to Sac-Anime.  On Northbound 880 just past Dixon Landing Road in Milpitas, I was on the center lane ready to make a lane change to the left lane.  My driver side rear tire blew out.  I drove to the center divider and called 911.  20 minutes later CHP arrived with a traffic break to allow me to move my car to the right shoulder.

I secured my car and changed the tire.  My car has a full size spare.  The CHP officer watched me change the tire and watched my back.  He made sure I changed the tire correctly.  The CHP officer told me all emergencies the driver must pull over to the right.  He's correct.  I made the choice to drive to the center divider to move my car away from oncoming traffic and I was on the far left lane.  If I was able to secure my car on the right shoulder, I didn't have to call CHP for help.

I made it to Sac-Anime without problems.  On Monday, I purchased a new tire.  I want to share the experience to everyone in case someone experiences a similar situation.  Pictures of the blown out tire are below.

Tire 1
Tire 2
Tire 3
Tire 4

Chun

It's good to hear you're still in one piece IN.

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

Jun-Watarase

Holy crap, that's insane. Good thing you're all good. :6

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Tsubasa

-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

G.I.R

Daaaaaaaamn!   That's not just a blow-out!  The whole freekin' side-wall is separated from the tread!  What brand tires are (were) those?

VictimX

Let me guess now... firestone..? Still good to hear everything worked out oka and you made it.

RyuHayabusa

My reaction as soon as he showed me the blown tire was:

OH.MY.FREAKING.GOD AND HOLY S**T DUDE.

I'm glad he made it up there in one piece.
My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC

Stormfalcon

Yeah, blowouts can be really nasty (I was tempted to say that they blow...damn, too late now!).  At least you were able to get it fixed and get moving and not get hurt in the process.  Back in the early 90's, I was in an accident on northbound 101 by Lockheed that took out my old truck's radiator.  Had to have it pushed by CHP from the center divide over to the right-hand shoulder, with the truck being towed later that day after a coworker and I rented a towing platform.  Not fun at all.  :(
My Cosplay Photography gallery, including FanimeCon 2001-2014:
http://stormfalcon.smugmug.com/CosplayPhotography

My DeviantArt Page:
http://stormfalcon.deviantart.com

astroboy

A lot of people instinctively slam on their brakes whenever anything goes bad. It is a good thing you did NOT do that with a tire blowout. That was a good move, letting the car gently roll to a stop and pulling over to the side. Aside from a lost tire and a nasty scare it's good to hear nothing bad happened.

Barnes

Good to know you're ok, ININ. I'd freak out if that happened to me.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

Shinsengumi

That's good that your ok, after looking at those pictures, I'll would freak out too
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

Mordyan

*whistles* Dang! That must have been some ride! Glad you are OK.

It doesn't look like it damaged the rim because it still had rubber attach to it, but make sure you get them to check it out just in case.

ININ

Thank you everyone for your replies.  The damanged tire brand is a Bridgestone Potenza RE92.  American Tire replaced the tire with a Michelin Primacy MXV4.  Milage is around 17,800.  I can get the tire code for anyone interested.  I need to look up what the numbers mean -__-

Spalding

wow !!!! it is a good thing you are ok ININ. :)
Is all about anime and fanime.

G.I.R

Quote from: ININ on January 22, 2008, 10:25:19 AM
Thank you everyone for your replies.  The damanged tire brand is a Bridgestone Potenza RE92.  American Tire replaced the tire with a Michelin Primacy MXV4.  Milage is around 17,800.  I can get the tire code for anyone interested.  I need to look up what the numbers mean -__-
I had a blowout with a Bridgestone tire some years ago also, but nowhere as bad as that one.  But I have had wear, and noise problems with Bridgestone tires as well, and now stay away from them.

BrightHeart76

Wow!  That's a serious blowout.  I'm glad you're ok. 
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Sunara Ishi

るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

AbsolutelyCursed

mDuo13

Crazy. Glad you're okay. I hate to think what I would do if something like that happened to me. Pulling over into the center is not ideal, but I can see why you'd rather do that than try to get to the outside.

ININ

Quote from: G.I.R on January 22, 2008, 12:44:57 PM
Quote from: ININ on January 22, 2008, 10:25:19 AM
I had a blowout with a Bridgestone tire some years ago also, but nowhere as bad as that one.  But I have had wear, and noise problems with Bridgestone tires as well, and now stay away from them.

Damn.  It looks like if I need to replace another Bridgestone, I might as well replace all three remaining Bridgestone tires.  One of my Bridgestone the tread is wearing off faster than the other two.