What's the deal with the swap meet?

Started by Kandybar, January 21, 2008, 01:43:30 PM

Eurobeat King

Hopefully the registration for the Friday-night Swap Meet will open soon. :) 

I found some old comics to sell too..  I wonder if people would be interested in buying my Teenage Mutant Ninja Turles comics, like from the 2nd issue on (1st print, and in good condition.) 
"Freedom is the right of all sentient cosplayers."

RanyouSaotome

Well I was thinking of selling these

Avatar the Last Airbender Starter Deck Set
Manufacturer: Upper Deck
Series: Master of Elements
Release Date: February 2006
Details (Description): 62 cards per deck! Combining the amazing world of Waterbenders, Earthbenders, Firebenders, and Airbenders, the Avatar Trading Card Game centers on the adventures of Aang ? a reluctant hero who must lead the fight against the evil Fire Nation to restore balance in his war-torn world. Avatar fans can execute all the signature bending moves of Aang and the entire cast with UDE?s new foil Zenemental cards, and slide-open Chamber Cards, which allows players to reveal hidden moves, and simulate all the action seen on the hit television series.

and they be new ^.^

BHelper

Are people allowed to sell to others without having a spot at all, if they have just one or a few batches of goods? I've got a bag full of brochures and posters and similar goodies that I picked up at Jump Festa in Tokyo this past December, a Fire Emblem art book, and some Naruto goods like a jacket that I won as part of the prize package that included a free trip to Japan to attend that Jump Festa. I'd have put this stuff up on ebay but I don't have an account there so I was worried that I wouldn't get a good price because it was my first lot. I would like to bring this stuff to Fanime so somebody who can read Japanese or is a huge Naruto fan can get it. But I don't want to get kicked out for not getting a swap meet table when my goods fit in a space smaller than a milk crate.

Or is there some sort of consignment table for people that have a small amount to sell, where you can leave the goods there with a suggested price, and the actual table person gets a cut if it sells?

Keys

Sorry, you are not allowed to sell goods unless you have a spot.

We do offer half spots.  Also, another thing that people sometimes do in your situation is have a friend who does have a space at the swap meet sell for them.  (Remember though, only 2 people per spot... so we can't have 4 friends in one spot selling all at the same time, 2 would have to leave their things with the others.)

Eurobeat King

Quote from: Keys on May 09, 2008, 07:19:29 PM
 Also, another thing that people sometimes do in your situation is have a friend who does have a space at the swap meet sell for them.  (Remember though, only 2 people per spot... so we can't have 4 friends in one spot selling all at the same time, 2 would have to leave their things with the others.)

Will you have staff/security checking each section throughout the night(s) to make-sure that there aren't more than just 2 people manning one section?

Keys

Quote from: Eurobeat King on May 09, 2008, 08:56:26 PM
Also, another thing that people sometimes do in your situation is have a friend who does have a space at the swap meet sell for them.  (Remember though, only 2 people per spot... so we can't have 4 friends in one spot selling all at the same time, 2 would have to leave their things with the others.)

Will you have staff/security checking each section throughout the night(s) to make-sure that there aren't more than just 2 people manning one section?

We send people around throughout the night doing bootleg/adult materials/other rules violations checks.

Eurobeat King

Quote from: Keys on May 09, 2008, 09:20:36 PM

We send people around throughout the night doing bootleg/adult materials/other rules violations checks.

hehe  have they ever caught people selling knock-off/bootleg stuff?  If so, what do they do?

Keys

Quote from: Eurobeat King on May 09, 2008, 09:22:35 PM
Quote from: Keys on May 09, 2008, 09:20:36 PM

hehe  have they ever caught people selling knock-off/bootleg stuff?  If so, what do they do?

It depends how egregious it is.  A lot of times we find bootlegs on the initial check before people even get to their spaces.  If it's an honest mistake and just one or two items, we have a little talk and it's not a problem as long as the seller doesn't sell the items in question.  If it's a ton of stuff or someone is caught twice, we would ask them to leave.

BHelper

So it sounds like there's no consignment table, bummer.
Because this is my first time at Fanime, I guess I'll have to lug around the stuff that I mentioned until I can make friends with somebody who wants to buy it (er, I mean, let's go outside and I'll drop it on the ground, you'll drop some money on the ground, and hey look what we both just found!) or will let me leave it on their swap meet table in exchange for cash up front that corresponds to half the table payment and then maybe take a cut of the proceeds if it sells.

And no, I don't normally write run-on-sentences like that.

SuperKawaiiNeko

My understanding is that it is a SWAP Meet. If you don't have a spot, you can still take items in and swap for goods or cash with the people who are selling via official spots. You just cant wander around with your crap selling to whoever happens to be careening about. THAT isn't fair to the people who pay for spots.

At least, this has always been my understanding.
President, Moldimort Inc.
A new division of Neko-Spaz enterprises worldwide
I mocked Haru! Ask me how!

Attendee 1998-2001 Volunteer 2002-2008 Swap Meet Staff 2009
Head of Volunteers 2010

Eurobeat King

The only places that you are allowed to sell stuff is either inside the Dealers' Room (you're an actual dealer), Artist Alley (you have signed up and paid for AA tables), or the Swap Meet (you show up on Thursday and pay for a spot, or you sign-up on Friday and pay for a spot.)

Some friends of mine a couple of years ago made some delicious home-made sandwiches and walked around the con, selling them, but con-staff/security told them they couldn't do that so they stopped..

Ayame

So can you sell anything at the swap meet?

Can u sell food like pocky and snacks and stuff???

ewu

Some limited food items may be acceptable but this is up to the discretion of the Swap Meet staff. Bear in mind that 1) you are not allowed to sell any food that the convention center can sell 2) anything that even comes close to a food safety issue will not be allowed. I highly recommend that you stick with the traditional wares and not sell food of ANY kind.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Jerry

Quote from: ewu on February 13, 2009, 07:36:30 AM
Some limited food items may be acceptable but this is up to the discretion of the Swap Meet staff. Bear in mind that 1) you are not allowed to sell any food that the convention center can sell 2) anything that even comes close to a food safety issue will not be allowed. I highly recommend that you stick with the traditional wares and not sell food of ANY kind.

if anything I'm curious why everyone wants to have a bake sale nowadays.

I know economic times are tough, but yah as much as I would like a tamale from the trunk of your car... yah... [no offense to ppl who do that or anyone wanting to sell their baked or food goodness]

we cant have that a Fanime, sorry. :(
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Nyxyin

Quote from: Ayame on February 13, 2009, 03:40:08 AM
So can you sell anything at the swap meet?

Can u sell food like pocky and snacks and stuff???
My understanding of the swap meet is that its intent is for people to buy/sell/trade second-hand previously used goods, and second-hand previously used Pocky doesn't sound very good at all.  ^_^;

Edit: I just visited http://www.fanime.com/events/swapmeet-rules.html and it says no, you can't sell just "anything".  You can't sell commissions or things you make yourself (probably includes bake sale stuff).  You can't sell retail goods (and Pocky probably qualifies).  You can't sell bootlegs.

ewu

Essentially it is at the discretion of the Swap Meet staff. If they decide that you are selling something that is not to be sold in the room, they will either ask you to put it away or to leave, depending on the infraction.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

sunrise-oasis

Okay, I don't know where to ask a simple question or discuss if anything needs something for fanime swap meet...
The only question I wanna ask is...."what do they mean by truck?" I know dollys are not allowed and I know those Kart like things are'nt allowed (maybe?)
but what about a big plastic box with wheels?..
we have alot of stuff we want to sell but I don't understand what they meant by "Truck"?

Also, is there anyone needed help on finding a partcular item?

ewu

Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

sunrise-oasis

Quote from: ewu on March 02, 2009, 07:14:31 PM
wheels are a nono

okay then but if I remove the wheels will it count as a truck or a box?.. because mines has wheels, I can remove the wheels though (i think..) but would'nt that scratch the floor??....

I kinda forgot about the policy about wheels though..
also, The swapmeet is going to be in the same location like last year on the arcade room. that i am very sure its going to be there.(i think)...

ewu

The rule is that you mus carry it in. Depending on the level that the staff want to enforce it, you may be able to wheel things in. Be prepared to HAND carry everything in, but according to the union that is the only thing allowed.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom