The Tax Rebate Plan, FanimeCon, and You

Started by heeroyuy135, January 25, 2008, 10:51:16 PM

Do you plan to spend the money that you receive from this plan on FanimeCon?

Yes
15 (51.7%)
No
9 (31%)
Not qualified to receive rebate
5 (17.2%)

Total Members Voted: 29

heeroyuy135

As you already know, the US government is planning on a $150 billion dollar Tax Rebate Plan that would put money back into people's pockets and, hopefully, back in the economy.

Read about it more here, won't go into further detail in this thread.

My question is: if you are qualified (yes, some people aren't qualified, like if you make under $3,000), will you be spending your $600+ (I say that because couples can receive $1,200 plus $300 more per child) on FanimeCon?

For me, I might go a bit overboard with Fanime since I know that this check is coming in...then again, I could save it and put it towards AX :)

Also, I'm hearing that they would come in June, while others are reporting that they would come in May...if May, please bring it before Fanime lol

Stormfalcon

As tempting as it may be (assuming the checks come in before Fanime), I've got higher priorities for the money, like putting it towards replacing my old clunker of a computer at long last.
My Cosplay Photography gallery, including FanimeCon 2001-2014:
http://stormfalcon.smugmug.com/CosplayPhotography

My DeviantArt Page:
http://stormfalcon.deviantart.com

IshokuOsero

I already heard about this from my parents, and yeah I'm definitely going to be putting whatever I get towards Fanime. That's part of my plan, haha. I have enough other money stashed away to help with my regular costs and such, so this won't be a problem by putting this cash I get into something that I'm going to have fun with.

Aya Brea X

That money will be going into savings for a house, or maybe get a button maker.  I do most of my anime spendings outside of conventions anyway.

RyuHayabusa

I'll be getting that money later since supposedly it'll be in the mail after tax season is over, which ends on april 15th, it'll take 6-12 weeks to process, so by the time the tax check comes in the mail, for me anyway, Fanime will be over. Good thing I'll do my taxes early and get my refund early. If it's $1200 like last year, i'll be putting some of that money away for Fanime and the  other half for other stuff.

$600 ain't bad though. I'll take whatever money I can get lol
My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC

Mikuko

I don't know if I'm getting anything back this year because I haven't gotten my W2 thingy from my work.  But of course, whatever I do get from it is going toward Fanime goodness. I would have gotten more back last year, but my father claimed me on his tax return when I only lived with him for half of that year.  I wasn't that happy.  I lost out on about $300.

phoenixphire24

My tax refund usually gets put away for Fanime (I have to pay for plane tickets as well), but I won't spend any extra money I might get. My refund from last year was enough to cover my expenses, so I can save the extra and put it towards a new HDTV (to watch anime on of course).  ;D

Kandybar

I'll probably use mine to buy an Xbox 360/Rock Band.  Already saved up money for Fanime, so I don't need any more there.  :P

~~Loktera~~

*Sparkle* Tax... Refund... Now I can buy more pretty dresses...
It all really depends how well the lies are told...

Mr Anime

I already have some money saved up for Fanime. Plus I had intended to use my regular tax refund to help pay for my trip. I plan on driving up there...so I might need an additional refund just to pay for gas. LOL  My truck can actually make it there on a full tank of gas. So it shouldn't cost me that much.
I'm the best at what I do. And what I do isn't very nice.

Mikuko

Quote from: Kandybar on January 27, 2008, 05:20:50 PM
I'll probably use mine to buy an Xbox 360/Rock Band.  Already saved up money for Fanime, so I don't need any more there.  :P

Awesome plan.  My friend just recently bought both of those.  That game is so much fun.   ;D

zoupzuop2

If I get a refund, I'll most likely pay off my car first, then save for Fanime and its related expenses.
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

Chewie

I will indeed be squandering my rebate on Fanime and liquiholic delights over that weekend.

That party is in my room.

=D

Kava

Hmm. Probably not. If this ends up being a reality, the extra $$ I get will likely go to getting a new flat panel TV since I've just lost the 36" TV I was using previously (room mate it belonged to is moving out), and now have nothing on which to play my Wii.  :'(

If I have some left over, it's quite possible some will be spent in the dealer's room....  :D
Rena
Panels Coordinator 2007-2014
Programming Director, 2015

Panels Twitter: http://twitter.com/FanimePanels

Moonblossom

Kava Kava Kava Kava
*runs around*

I've been technically unemployed for over a year now (working under the table what?) so I'm going to get a huge amount back in taxes this year. A fair bit of it is going to go to paying for my painfully evil plane ticket, some's going to go to the hotel, the rest is going to go to delicious dealer-room goodies and alcohol for the room in the evenings, haha.

short_storiesgl

Quote from: HeeroYuy135 on January 25, 2008, 10:51:16 PM
As you already know, the US government is planning on a $150 billion dollar Tax Rebate Plan that would put money back into people's pockets and, hopefully, back in the economy.

Dance Staff Second

RyuHayabusa

Quote from: short_storiesgl on February 06, 2008, 04:07:22 PM
Quote from: HeeroYuy135 on January 25, 2008, 10:51:16 PM

My question is: if you are qualified (yes, some people aren't qualified, like if you make under $3,000), will you be spending your $600+ (I say that because couples can receive $1,200 plus $300 more per child) on FanimeCon?

For me, I might go a bit overboard with Fanime since I know that this check is coming in...then again, I could save it and put it towards AX :)

Also, I'm hearing that they would come in June, while others are reporting that they would come in May...if May, please bring it before Fanime lol

ok i read your link and what not but i didnt answer my questions.. like  do you have to be over 18 and work or under 18 and work.. my main question is
if you work/worked do you get money back.
Cause if so im totally spending it on fanime =D
Not all of it.

It's for people that make under 80000 a year. so that qualifies everyone(well, single). That should clear it up.
My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC

otakuapprentice

Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

shortpachoo

Normally don't get very much for a rebate and sometimes it goes to paying for state taxes.

Depending on how much it is, we shall see what I use it on

Fanime 2011 Staff: ??
Tech Minion: 2004-05, 2007-10
Video Programming: 2004-06
Staffer since: '04

phoenixphire24

Sounds like Congress passed the bill today. Looks like this is what will be handed out:

$300 to $600 for people who have an income between $3,000 and $75,000, plus $300 per child. Couples earning up to $150,000 would get $1,200.

And it looks like the earliest checks will be sent out in May, but they will continue to be sent out through the summer. They didn't say how they were going to send the checks out, but I hope it's based on when taxes were filled. I already sent mine in and got my rebate. Having the money by Fanime would really be nice.