can you guys help me pick a cosplay?

Started by RamenCat, January 26, 2008, 01:08:17 AM

RamenCat

I'm trying to get into cosplaying stuff, but I'm having issues finding an outfit to go with my body type. I have an issue finding a character that has the same...well endowments as me...I basically have  an hourglass figure with large boobs...can you guys help me find a character?
Registration Staff 07-08

Mojo

it would help if i had a picture. ^-^"

but i'de say...
with that figure, you could be anybody.  Pretty much sounds like any anime/video game character.

The girls from dead or alive(video game) have big boobs. idk if you want to be them though ><
<br /><br />You don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t stand a GHOST of a chance

Moonblossom

Mai, from King of Fighters?
http://www.bobaymark.de/photo/ResinModel/Mai_3.jpg

Miyama Mizuha from Mahou Tsuki Tai (though lord knows if -anyone- will recognize you)
http://www.geocities.com/tamakitymttgallery2/miyama.html

Honestly though, it sounds like you can get away with pretty much any late teen/adult anime character, except anyone who's obviously flat or whatever.

elley

I'd say the others are right. Unless you're trying to cosplay a character who is known for being flat, you could attempt any character. I can see where you're coming from since I had to deal with the chest issue myself for my first cosplay costume, but as long as your costume turned out decent, many con-goers will appreciate your effort.

Moonblossom

yamaneko

Like Moonblossom said in her first post, you could get away with just about anyone that's not obviously flat (meaning no real emphasis is put on the fact that they're flat). We're always on the look-out for a Linally (or Lenalee) for a D.Gray-Man group cosplay. ^-^

First version (skirt): http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c151/Karsh1337/LenaleeDarkBootsInnocentEditionDark.jpg

Latest version (shorts): http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t207/wonghernyee/167.jpg
Stephie Z.
2007 - Video Programming staff
2008 - Allen Walker (D.Gray-man) / Panels staff

(list subject to change based on budget and time issues)

kat-hime

+The Girls from Air Gear are a good pick, like the Noyamano sisters [ except for Ume ]:
Rika, Mikan, Ringo
or you could be Simca

i think you'll be recognizable, but i doubt over cosplayed^^

i agree with the Tsunade and Dead or Alive suggestions though

PyronIkari

-_-

Cosplay a character THAT YOU LIKE because you like the character. Cosplaying just for the sake of cosplaying is a spit in the face of the designer of whoever you're cosplaying as.

RamenCat

thank you guys for all the suggestions! It's very helpful, plus i got to find a new anime from it!
i'm gonna try to find my camera to post a pic so it'll be easier for you guys
Registration Staff 07-08

AbsolutelyCursed

Another very busty character you might consider is Matsumoto Rangiku from Bleach

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: PyronIkari on January 26, 2008, 11:01:27 PM
-_-

Cosplay a character THAT YOU LIKE because you like the character. Cosplaying just for the sake of cosplaying is a spit in the face of the designer of whoever you're cosplaying as.

I STRONGLY second this.

Don't cosplay a character only because you like its design. Cosplay a character that you like, because if the design is the primary reason why you're cosplaying her, it's not only insulting to the creator, but insulting to fans of that series. I know how it feels to want to at least be able to pull off the character you're cosplaying, but it should be a character that you like, and want to cosplay as because you love his/her character and want to express that. If you're absolutely SURE on the design, AT LEAST watch the series. It's only slightly better if you at least know the series and the character, but not by much if you don't enjoy it.

I hate running into people who are cosplaying a character, where I can assume they actually like who they're cosplaying and believe that we have some sort of common interest by talking about the series... which to my disappointment, they know absolutely NOTHING about the series or character they're cosplaying as. It's disgusting to see cosplay reduced to people simply wearing costumes that look pretty, and to have people tear away at an anime/game's value by cheapening it to its character design.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Ayamachi

-_-

I third it. In addition to what Jun said, I don't really get people who cosplay for the sake of cosplaying... that's a lot of effort to put into becoming a character you don't even know or understand. I really have to love a character to bother translating their ridiculous and often gravity-defying clothes into reality.

And I don't mean this offensively, but this:

Quote from: RamenCat on January 26, 2008, 01:08:17 AM
I'm trying to get into cosplaying stuff, but I'm having issues finding an outfit to go with my body type. I have an issue finding a character that has the same...well endowments as me...I basically have  an hourglass figure with large boobs...can you guys help me find a character?

...makes it sound like you don't watch a lot of anime? Haha, because really, that's basically describing almost every anime chick ever drawn that's over the age of 12...

So I guess my advice would be to pick a series, read/watch it, and take your pick out of any girl you want to cosplay. Your options are almost endless.  :P
Alternate personalities for Fanime 2008:
TimeJump Hinata: 9%
Koumei: 8%
Black Jack: 67%
Gwendal: 38%

RamenCat

Well, thanks for the help to those of you who actually understood that I need help picking...I have issues with choosing a single or even three different characters to do because I have too many favorites and want to do all of them, which doesn't help me pick.
And as for those of you who just kinda stood up on your pedistal and basically told me that I don't know what I'm doing and that I'm insulting a characters creator just because I was asking for assistance need to just get off their pedistal and think...what was it like to do your first cosplay? Did you ask an opinion of someone else so that they could help you? And did you ever think that I don't have a lot of free time to go through ALL of the anime/manga I know of to pick some that I like? I rarely have time to do so, I'm too busy holding down a job to pay for rent and watching my 1 year old brother so my mom could go to work...maybe you should think about stuff before you say them...and it's not just me that you've been talking down too...I've noticed that some of you have been going on other forums where people are trying to discuss stuff...maybe trying to use humor about the subject and you just b*tch at them about basically saying that your better and know all so they shouldn't have said this or that cause it's wrong or stupid..blah blah blah, it's just rude and disrespectful
Quote from: Jun-Watarase on January 28, 2008, 09:31:43 AM
-_-

I STRONGLY second this.

Don't cosplay a character only because you like its design. Cosplay a character that you like, because if the design is the primary reason why you're cosplaying her, it's not only insulting to the creator, but insulting to fans of that series. I know how it feels to want to at least be able to pull off the character you're cosplaying, but it should be a character that you like, and want to cosplay as because you love his/her character and want to express that. If you're absolutely SURE on the design, AT LEAST watch the series. It's only slightly better if you at least know the series and the character, but not by much if you don't enjoy it.

I hate running into people who are cosplaying a character, where I can assume they actually like who they're cosplaying and believe that we have some sort of common interest by talking about the series... which to my disappointment, they know absolutely NOTHING about the series or character they're cosplaying as. It's disgusting to see cosplay reduced to people simply wearing costumes that look pretty, and to have people tear away at an anime/game's value by cheapening it to its character design.
It's not like I'm looking at these suggestions, seeing what looks "pretty" or "neat" I'm seeing characters maybe I had forgotten about or over looked...if I did see one that I liked the design of them then what I have always done is look up and watch the series with the character in it...pretty silly to just ASSUME that I'm not even gonna find out info about the character
Registration Staff 07-08

Jun-Watarase

Make a list of characters, or whole series that you like... and people will make suggestions based on that. It'll be easier to narrow it down for you to filter out what will work, and what you want to do.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Kaname Tousen

Quote from: RamenCat on January 28, 2008, 06:08:31 PM
Well, thanks for the help to those of you who actually understood that I need help picking...I have issues with choosing a single or even three different characters to do because I have too many favorites and want to do all of them, which doesn't help me pick.
And as for those of you who just kinda stood up on your pedistal and basically told me that I don't know what I'm doing and that I'm insulting a characters creator just because I was asking for assistance need to just get off their pedistal and think...what was it like to do your first cosplay? Did you ask an opinion of someone else so that they could help you? And did you ever think that I don't have a lot of free time to go through ALL of the anime/manga I know of to pick some that I like? I rarely have time to do so, I'm too busy holding down a job to pay for rent and watching my 1 year old brother so my mom could go to work...maybe you should think about stuff before you say them...and it's not just me that you've been talking down too...I've noticed that some of you have been going on other forums where people are trying to discuss stuff...maybe trying to use humor about the subject and you just b*tch at them about basically saying that your better and know all so they shouldn't have said this or that cause it's wrong or stupid..blah blah blah, it's just rude and disrespectful
Quote from: Jun-Watarase on January 28, 2008, 09:31:43 AM
-_-

I STRONGLY second this.

It's not like I'm looking at these suggestions, seeing what looks "pretty" or "neat" I'm seeing characters maybe I had forgotten about or over looked...if I did see one that I liked the design of them then what I have always done is look up and watch the series with the character in it...pretty silly to just ASSUME that I'm not even gonna find out info about the character

from your looks I would have to say DR NOAMI from no more heroes here's a link to a pic
http://www.mmv.co.jp/special/game/wii/nomoreheroes/character/index.html just scroll down to the 7th person on the page (Not including the girl with death metal) all you really need is the hair and glasses you can skip on the outfit but if you want to go that extra mile and almost have your crotch hanging out every time you sit,which I wouldn't mind but hey I'm a straight single guy. and if not, I would just go with a black and yellow shirt and skirt with knee or thigh length high heels and have a fake black and yellow power drill. and yeah a list of characters you wouldn't mind doing and remember unless it's a dark haired character your most likely going to have to dye your stuff
The truth behind blindness

PyronIkari

Quote from: Kaname Tousen on January 28, 2008, 07:39:35 PM
from your looks I would have to say DR NOAMI from no more heroes here's a link to a pic
http://www.mmv.co.jp/special/game/wii/nomoreheroes/character/index.html just scroll down to the 7th person on the page (Not including the girl with death metal) all you really need is the hair and glasses you can skip on the outfit but if you want to go that extra mile and almost have your crotch hanging out every time you sit,which I wouldn't mind but hey I'm a straight single guy. and if not, I would just go with a black and yellow shirt and skirt with knee or thigh length high heels and have a fake black and yellow power drill. and yeah a list of characters you wouldn't mind doing and remember unless it's a dark haired character your most likely going to have to dye your stuff

God no. A good series with awesome characters ruined by an idiot that cosplays from it despite not playing through the game or knowing crap about the game.

Way to spit in the face of everyone that's a fan of the game.

QuoteIt's not like I'm looking at these suggestions, seeing what looks "pretty" or "neat" I'm seeing characters maybe I had forgotten about or over looked...if I did see one that I liked the design of them then what I have always done is look up and watch the series with the character in it...pretty silly to just ASSUME that I'm not even gonna find out info about the character

It's not about finding info, or even knowing of the character. You should be cosplaying a character that you enjoy and like, it's to show an appreciation and show of respect for the character... because you like the character as a whole. Almost anything else is just attention whoring.

RamenCat

I suppose there's still gonna be some people with their hate talk...oh well...to bad some people need to put others down just to feel superior.
But as requested this is a list of anime/manga/games that I like...or which ones I could think of
Slayers
Love Hina
Rourouni Kenshin
Sorceror HUnters
DOA
Street Fighter
Ghost in the She
Hellsing
Vampire Knight
Angelic Layer
Chobits
I My Me! Strawberry Eggs
X/1999
Final Fantasy (all)
Fruits Basket
GunXSword
Bleach
Air Gear
Jin King of Bandits
Desert Punk
Wolf's Rain
Ragnarok
Trigun
Outlaw Star
Guilty Gear
Bastard
Berserk
Witch Hunter Robin
High School Debut
Fighting Spirit
Golden Boy
Cowboy Bebop
Full Metal Alchemist

and yet I feel like there's more...
Registration Staff 07-08

Tur713

Quote from: RamenCat on January 28, 2008, 11:54:53 PM
I suppose there's still gonna be some people with their hate talk...oh well...to bad some people need to put others down just to feel superior.
But as requested this is a list of anime/manga/games that I like...or which ones I could think of
Slayers
Love Hina
Rourouni Kenshin
Sorceror HUnters
DOA
Street Fighter
Ghost in the She
Hellsing
Vampire Knight
Angelic Layer
Chobits
I My Me! Strawberry Eggs
X/1999
Final Fantasy (all)
Fruits Basket
GunXSword
Bleach
Air Gear
Jin King of Bandits
Desert Punk
Wolf's Rain
Ragnarok
Trigun
Outlaw Star
Guilty Gear
Bastard
Berserk
Witch Hunter Robin
High School Debut
Fighting Spirit
Golden Boy
Cowboy Bebop
Full Metal Alchemist

and yet I feel like there's more...
Oh wow, a ton of stuff! Ok, really quick off the top of my head: Naru, Mutsuni (Love Hina), Motoko Kusanagi (Ghost in the Shell), Eisha Clanclan, Melfina (Outlaw Star), Seras Victoria (Hellsing), or Faye Valentine (Cowboy Bebop). Maybe that narrowed it down, maybe that widened it. When I did my first cosplays I picked characters I though I could look like without too very many ad-ons like wigs and such.
Founder - Fanime Dating Dojo

Runewitt

try to think of a char that has a similar personality as yours, someone you can relate to from one of the animes + manga you listed. i watched every avaliable episode of bleach before picking my cosplay, he's pretty minor to the series, but i can relate to him.
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: RamenCat on January 28, 2008, 11:54:53 PM

Sorry to break it to you, but he's right. The point of cosplay is to show appreciation of the character and series... doing it because you LOVE the character you're cosplaying as. ANYONE could do the effort of looking up info of the character/series they're cosplaying from... and a lot even go through finding more images to get the right poses. If you've forgotten a character or series, then it isn't worth the cosplay because you obviously don't like it enough to remember. For any other reason, then it's just for the attention and sake of wearing a costume. If you take offense to this, then cosplay isn't something you should do.

See, it's already a bit iffy because... no characters are coming to mind, for you. Meaning, you didn't like them enough to remember to think "Oh, I love this character. I want to cosplay her!" RIGHT AWAY. I know how you feel about wanting to pull off the character, though. In my case, I have a lot of characters that I like that automatically come to mind... but I want to be able to pull off the cosplay and look decent in it. (And I don't want to bastardize the character by looking bad in the cosplay, because I love them so much. >_>)

QuoteBut as requested this is a list of anime/manga/games that I like...or which ones I could think of ... yet I feel like there's more...

This is a long list for your favorite series, and series you want to cosplay from. It looks like you're just throwing in all the anime you've ever seen/liked that come to mind. Don't bother making it longer, because if you've forgotten about it, the series isn't worth you cosplaying from if it wasn't good enough to you for you to remember. And looking at this list... it's EXTREMELY easy to find a character that you're able to cosplay fitting your description. Making out characters from this list, yourself should be easy for you...

If you MUST find a character by searching... The best thing to do with that list is to narrow it down to the series that you enjoyed the most, and like the characters from. From that, list each female character from the series (which in most cases, can/should be done in your head), then narrow it down to your favorite character from each series... and compare. Narrow it down to the character that has the combination of one that you like, like aesthetically, can pull off, and are knowledgeable enough to represent... If you still need help with that, give us the narrowed-down list of your favorite characters. At that point, we'll at least know you like the character, despite it not automatically coming to mind, which is slightly better.

FanimaidCafe.com