Anti this or that...?

Started by Tuplica, June 29, 2003, 04:02:47 AM

Tuplica

Just a question for you folks...  

Although I've never been overly fond of it myself, I've realized over the years that there is a great deal of hatred towards the Pokémon series...  Is there any specific reason(s) for this?  The cutsey-ness?  The repetitive episodes?  The fact that it's based on a game?  Perhaps because it threw tons of newbies into the 'underground anime' groups?  It just seems that whenever I go to a con it's the one thing that you better not cosplay as or mention, unless you're bashing it.  

And is there any group hatred towards any other animes?  Cuz if it's just the repetitive-ness, I would think many other shows would fit in that category.  Just tryin' to figure stuff out!  Thanks.
Attending Fanime since 2002, having panic attacks and editing marathons since 2003.

Babbit_Chan

I've never hated it - I personally grew out of it. People who hate it are either too scared to admit they like/d it in the midst of their friends, or find something in the series not to their liking.

CloudStrife546

i dont hate it, just never got into it..

Tsubasa

I believe it's backlash because it became so popular in the US.  "Hardcore" anime fans don't watch anime on TV and they despise anything that been dubbed over, localized, and is being consumed by the masses on TV.  You see this all the time, although to a much smaller extent with most other titles.  I suppose you could chalk that one up to the uncanny popularity of Pokemon and possibly because it's a child's show.
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

Tendai

I've never hated it ^^ It's kind of a guilty pleasure of mine (much like Morning Musume is on the music front) when I don't really feel like watching something that makes me think.  It's cute.  Good to watch if you're not in the mood for something more serious.

I think that Tsubasa probably says it best.  "Hardcore" anime fans can often be just a little elitist in that sense.  It's popular, dubbed and a kid's show and therefore to many fans of that sort it's not worth it.

But me?  I can do a Pikachu impression and I'm proud of it XD

Suspicious

I love Pokemon, I love DBZ, what I dislike are some of the fans they produce.  Ya know, the SSJ532145732459328457 people out there  :roll: Sure some grow out of it, but the ones that don't, sigh... They're just really annoying.
»Jrock Con »LJ »MySpace »Website

jinnai_animexcalibur

Dealers who dont know anything about Yu-Gi-Oh....they just know that its profitable and it attracts customers...

(example: a no-namer barbershop here....they sell yu-gi-oh cards to attract kids who dont wanna get a haircut...)
Official Katsuhiko Jinnai Myspace Page

Katsuhiko Jinnai "The Anime Convention Experience" - NEW ORIGINAL CD - COMING SUMMER 2009.

AnimE'xcalibur/Shinoda Sound Recordings

www.shinodasound.com

Jessa_chan

Well, I liked Pokemon for a really long time, but then, when I turned 11, I grew out of it. I don't really know why. It was right after I saw one of the movies (don't remember which one) but I just sorta went "Why have I spent so much money and time on this?" It just stopped being appealing. So I can honestly say that I grew out of it. I think most people bash it (and DBZ) because there are a lot of fans that flood message boards and chat rooms with "POKEMON ROCKZ! MWHAHAHAHA! DBZ KICKS ASS! I LOVE TRUNKS!!!!" and things like that. Nothing against DBZ and Pokemon fans, but there are a group of them that spoil the repuatation for others.
I love Jack Sparrow. I am his fangirl. I am also obsessed with pirates. Savvy?

Tuplica

Wow, I guess it was a misconception on my part!  Glad to hear it, though...  Although I'm not a humongo fan of Pokemon, the overall hatred towards a series gets me down.

About the DBZ thing... Hehe!  One of the many reasons I love the 'right now' music video with the viewer of Akira, DBZ and something else screaming about how Goku could kick anyone's ass.....  

To me, there's always a difference between newbies and educated newbies.  Just cuz you've only seen one series doesn't mean that others aren't as good.
Attending Fanime since 2002, having panic attacks and editing marathons since 2003.

platinum edge

I dunno about the rest of you, but I think one of the reasons people don't like DBZ/pokemon/yu gi oh/ect. . . is becuase people generalize about anime, where many, new to the world of anime, are thinking that pokemon/DBZ/yu gi oh is the pinnacle of anime.  Some people just don't know that there is more to anime out there than just DBZ/pokemon/yu gi oh.

Also, a person's tastes may play into their preferences.  For example, some people might see DBZ as being extremely cool, while others might see DBZ as a bunch of guys just standing around sounding constipated then opening a can of whup ass on each other.  Others might think that the yu gi oh characters are really smart with the "tactics" they use, while others think that the yu gi oh characters are just makin it up as they go along.  As I said, a person's tastes may play into how the perceive something.  I personally prefer things that require some brain cells, rather than just stare mindlessly at the screen and think "wow, that looked cool. . ."; but, that's just me.

. . . then again, it could be becuase there are the legions of people spouting on and on about how goku/vegeta/ect. . . is so great and what not that it begins to annoy everyone else. . . meh, who knows?
Always chase after your dreams, and never forget why you are pursuing them.

Faye Valentine

...I loved Pokemon. I still have my card collection, too. AND I know the Pokerap by heart. ^.^;
...poo.

Suspicious

Unknown...unknown...unknown...
»Jrock Con »LJ »MySpace »Website

Haruka

::counts Pokemon pluchies I have in my room::  I used to like Pokemon, but I grew out of it.  Personally, I like Pi-chu, Pika-chu, Clefairy, JigglyPuff, Merril, and Charizard cuz he's a pain in the a$s.
Join me at Ani-Jam 2011 in Fresno, CA.  August 20-21

Tama

I like pokemon. Pokemon is cute! And the first movie makes me cry. *sniff* even though it's dubbed. :x I hate DB but it's personal I started to watch the OVAs(?) one time and I thought "this is pretty interesting"  But then..but then I watched an episode on TV.  It was a bad episode to start on.  The kid(gohan?) made friends with a dinosaur at the beginning of the episode and at the end it got killed! So now I HATE  :twisted: DRAGONBALL! And yes I am twentysomething! ><
taaaa DAAAAA! I LIVE!!!!

Hououji Fuu

Quote from: "platinum edge"I dunno about the rest of you, but I think one of the reasons people don't like DBZ/pokemon/yu gi oh/ect. . . is becuase people generalize about anime, where many, new to the world of anime, are thinking that pokemon/DBZ/yu gi oh is the pinnacle of anime.  Some people just don't know that there is more to anime out there than just DBZ/pokemon/yu gi oh.

Amen to that, that's the real reason I don't watch any of the dubbed stuff on TV, specifically DBZ and Pokemon.

The other reason I think a lot of people "hated" Pokemon was that when they brought it over to the US, they KILLED it. Kind of like Sailor Moon, only not quite as bad. They 'cut' lots of things, changed the tone of many of the episodes, and just all around messed it up... the die-hard fans of Pocket Monsters weren't exactly pleased, and the result ended up catering to said "fans" who watch dubbed DBZ and Pokemon and claim to be anime connaisseurs.

I *personally* love Pokemon, but I like the Japanese version about 60000 times more. The voice talent was much better, for one thing (Mmm... Shinichirou Miki...), and *shrugs* it seemed way more authentic.

Just my $0.02.

Hey, remember me? I was the whiny kid in the Suu costume :D

Kurokai

I think it's because it's aimed for the younger audiences (just listen to the theme song). I remember it was a trend to like Pokemon back in 6th grade until people found it boring because of its "childish" themes (or something). It might be the marketers..trying to make money off of everything. :\ I don't really know..people just grow out of it like I did. But I don't hate it..I still watch it with my brother.  :D
My eyes love you...

mstingray

it's entertaining in it's own way.  i don't watch it unless i'm bored.  there are better things to waste my time on.
former staffer

Tuplica

Hmm... Hououji Fuu, you mentioned that Pocket Monsters fans were dissapointed about the dub.  (I've read all there is to read about the changes made, so I get that).  But how did they get to see the original PM?  I've got a tape with two eps, but it isn't subbed and I've never found fansubs on the net.

MeliCat

Hmm.. my 2 cents is I think people should quit bashing certain animes and mind their business.  :?  If someone wants to be a Pokemon/Yugi Oh/DragonBall Otaku, why should they be bashed? There are quite a few anime fans that think they're "too good" to watch what comes on TV or what's popular. I think those people secretly love such shows, they just wanna look cool.  :roll: No one's supposed to cosplay as Pokemon characters? What's the world coming to? *plots a Skitty Outfit*

*MeliCat*

YuriGurrl

I don't really like Pokemon anymore. I used to play the Gameboy games, and watch it on TV sometimes, but thats about it tho. I think its the Pokemon voices that get on my nerves..."PIka-pik-PIpi-PIKAAA!" AHHHHH!!! SHUDDUP!! ::smack:: *ahem* Sorry. I have a short temper....
Yah, I'm a little over-the-top, but isn't it fun?