critique please?

Started by gazerock.is.not.dead, January 30, 2008, 07:10:38 PM

gazerock.is.not.dead

www.aneishikaku.deviantart.com

most of my art...well pretty much all of it |D...i'm not quite sure on getting a table in artists alley so any input would really be aprreciated...the only thing is i never really get any crituque on dA so if anyone would be willing to take a look and critique it, that'd be great. constructive crit though please. thanks!

god i sound like an idiot. i take art trades but i can be a slow/picky ass and maybe requests if its something small or i feel nice

sunrise-oasis

I like how you did with deidra.... its kinda normal and abit off but its getting there...

also noticing the style it looks more...more....well let me showyou....

http://www.kinderspeelplein.nl/totallyspies/images/totallyspies.jpg

well it snot a good example but there was some that look american anime in some parts..but its getting there...
I like the chibi forms

http://aneishikaku.deviantart.com/art/OBEJECTION-65324639

so it might be useful if you manage to make some characters in that form. Maybe some girls might wanna buy them XD....

still all in all, your geting there...
I don't know how to critique well, but one thing for sure..I can promise you that with a few more pracitices and understanding your work will be very impressive.!

*note: i just started doing copic markers and heres what I got so far!!!
First draft))) http://www.sunrise-oasis.net/secrets/crystal%20kitt-copic.jpg
Final)))  http://www.sunrise-oasis.net/secrets/sample.jpg

please do not feel bad, im also in the same position of figuring out why my artwork is never good enough. I wanted to do shojo works but instead its just not progressing and turn out with this!
but still...She is attractive ^ ^!
Just do your best  ^ ^!.... And its okay not to apply for a table, but if you wanna start selling with curiosity you can try the swap market. Most people from last year sold stuff AND their artwork commissions. (kinda likea Artist Alley night thing XD) problem is your waiting in line to grab a spot!.
but once again...your doing a great job on works ^ ^!, if someone made a harsh comment, just ignore them because they have their styles and you have your own..

gazerock.is.not.dead

thanks! nobodies really said anything about my style looking like someone elses |D so thats something new. and youve got some nice art too. reminds me of bleedman's style. never knew about the swap so might try it this year.

sunrise-oasis

Bleedmans...mines O_O????
wellsome said I should do celshading and look where IM at XD!!! its nothing but cookie cutters here XD and there on my coloring XD!!! but glad to hear your happy ^ ^!

Chloe

I don't think you guys should worry about your art...  It means alot just being able to go out there to sell you art.

If you worry too much about it, you'll feel like you never got what it takes to be at AA. Just go out there and fun with your friends!

My friend I'm sharing the table with is worrying about her art not doing well, but I think there are a variety of people out there who like different styles of art. That's why I'm not worrying as much.  It's more fun when you don't care, lol.
Cosplays for '10?  WHO KNOWS!?!

ph1shf00d

Yeah, what Chloe said pretty much sums it up.  AA is more fun for talking to people and making friends with other artists. XD <3

You have really cute chibis, so if you're not too confident in your non-chibi art, you could probably do okay with those.

Your general body anatomy seems okay, but could use a bit more detail and definition.  The proportions get kinda wonky in some pics, but you should be able to clear that up after plenty of practice.  Look at some anatomy books to figure out the general proportions of the human body and the placement of limbs or other parts of the body in certain poses.

Might want to work on your facial anatomy a bit too.  Generally, you tend to space out your facial features too much, and sometimes you draw your eyes too big.  You'll want to keep some general "rules-of-thumb" in mind when you're drawing faces, as far as proportioning goes.  Remember that in most human faces:
- The eyes are in the middle of the head.  It helps to draw an oval for the head shape, and then draw a line in the middle of that.  That line is where your eyes should be.
-THe distance between the eyes should be about one "eye."  So you could draw three eyes right next to each other on that middle line, then erase the eye in the middle.  That's what it should be in theory, anyway.  Stylistically, you'll want to adjust that to what you feel looks good for that particular face or character.

In realism, people tend to use the length of the eyes as measuring devices for everything else on the face.  It's kinda weird, but it works (Thanks, Da Vinci).  Of course, anime isn't realism, so those rules usually don't apply, BUT you still want to practice a bit of realism before you do anime so you can get a grasp of what a well-proportioned human face looks like.  After that, you can adjust those proportions to how you see fit.

Aside from that, you also want to work on your linework and shading a bit.  Sometimes, the difference between a really nice picture and a really crappy one is just the lineart.  Good lines are usually smooth and have varying depth/thickness in different places (usually where there's more shadow, etc.).  Try practicing long, smooth strokes with varying lengths with a brush or an inking pen or something.  I'd suggest an actual pen nib, since they have a lot of width variation, but it IS possible to practice with Microns/multiliners too.  For CGing, good lineart's a bit more of a pain to do.  IN short, it'll involve a lot of re-drawing and erasing, even if you have a pressure-sensitive tablet.

For shading/coloring, that's something you'll have to learn by constant observation.  Shadows don't just stick to the edges of the lineart- shadows are cast to define the form of an object, or otherwise "give it life."  It's something you kinda have to look at and learn by observation.

Just practice a lot and never give up! 

maeiounj39

For me the face feels too wide. But thats just me. Even though I like the lineart, It needs to be a little neater. My suggestion is to get an actual picture of the character and to trace it over and over again. Or just look and copy it on another piece of paper. That usually helps so you can memorize whats there. Probably helps with your line art. But most important is practice.

I am struggling with hands, I can do the face fine, sort of. I kind of struggling too. I don't really like to color either. Sometimes, I can't get some things to match the same way as the other side. An example would be the eyes.

Here is my deviant art account if you want to crtique:
http://narutokunobessed.deviantart.com/gallery/

XpHoBiaX

At least your art is attractive. Mine is currently neckbones and leather. @_@
I try to do the coloring thing, but I fail horribly, and do best with just black and white.
All you guys are an inspiration. Hopefully one day coloring and shading will suddenly work for me. X]

Nyxyin

The problem with critiquing is that a lot of artists (especially on deviant art, and especially those who need it the most) don't take criticism well, so I've learned to avoid doing it unless explicitly asked first.

Your chibis are excellent, and your teddy bear is adorable!  The bird is beautiful too.  (The otter seems a bit boneless, though.  It looks more like an eel to me.)

Your human faces, however, stretch too far across the skull vertically, so your brain case often looks too small or thin.  If you look at the human skull face-on, the top is a larger bulb -- the widest point of the skull is usually at the temples (above the eyes), rather than at the cheekbones below the eyes.  (Hair should hang down from the eye level and not need to curve back out for the cheekbones.)  The back of the skull is also usually bigger and wider than the front of the skull. http://www.forestcity.ca/drgalil/skull/  I think humans might be wired to prefer eyes that are lower in the face.  Things with higher eyes tend to be yucky, slimy things, like fishes and insects.