Scientology Protest 2/10

Started by lalalandla, February 03, 2008, 11:17:22 AM

lalalandla

Few showers 60º, 30% chance of rain

Feb 10th 2PM

1865 Lundy Ave. San Jose, CA 95131 Telephone: (408) 383-9400

Items:
1)Hat & or mask
2)Sign (if it's a picket sign, make sure the tips are squared and not arrowhead)
3)If possible, print out some flyers

Rules:
1)RULES 1 & 2! This is a MUST
2)Do NOT park close to the CoS, unless you want them to give you hell at your own house.
3)If the police come, be truthful and respectful, even if they are an asshole.
4)Don't block the sidewalk

I will find a meeting place for us by monday.

If going, send e-mail to [email protected]

Barnes

More details please? Such as:
-What should be on the sign?
-CoS?
I don't understand this. ???
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

destranacion

cos is church of scientology, i will be at the berkeley protest the same day so anyone from the east bay is welcome to pm me for my number and we can meet up! i think the set meetup spot right now is tullys coffee on shattuck
pika ball player!

official jesus of fanime con!

~~Loktera~~

Quote from: lalalandla on February 03, 2008, 11:17:22 AM
Few showers 60º, 30% chance of rain

Feb 10th 2PM

1865 Lundy Ave. San Jose, CA 95131 Telephone: (408) 383-9400

Items:
1)Hat & or mask
2)Sign (if it's a picket sign, make sure the tips are squared and not arrowhead)
3)If possible, print out some flyers

Rules:
1)RULES 1 & 2! This is a MUST
2)Do NOT park close to the CoS, unless you want them to give you hell at your own house.
3)If the police come, be truthful and respectful, even if they are an asshole.
4)Don't block the sidewalk

I will find a meeting place for us by monday.

If going, send e-mail to [email protected]

I'm on it. I have their propreitary info packet somewhere on my hard drive. I'll see if I can print that out at Kinkos, for massive distribution.
It all really depends how well the lies are told...

Glitch

Well I'll be. I didn't think protests would make for fanime board gatherings.

~~Loktera~~

Quote from: Glitch on February 04, 2008, 04:02:00 PM
Well I'll be. I didn't think protests would make for fanime board gatherings.

No, but this is easily one of the best places to plan things. Away from those that are directly affiliated.
It all really depends how well the lies are told...

Kazuko

totally run from L Ron Hubbard and his zombies!

I have been in a riot in peru I say wear a mask and bring water,goggles help alot

because that shit burns and water will wash the tear gas away

phoenixphire24

I'm not sure if someone has already asked, but make sure that wearing a mask is allowed. Some cities have rules against it. If not, please do protect your face and definitely do not park near-by. If it's possible, leave your ID in a safe place and not on you. I've heard the scientologist organizers go to great lengths to find out your identity and then harass you.

At least you'll have nice weather in CA. I'll be protesting in snow  :P

lyricaldanichan

holy crap is this some 4chan get ?

I dunno if posting about this here would be wise ;o

lalalandla

Quote from: lyricaldanichan on February 05, 2008, 02:53:42 PM
holy crap is this some 4chan get ?

I dunno if posting about this here would be wise ;o

4chan is only a small portion of it, it's big, way big. Masks are allowed in SJ so there ye have it.

mDuo13

Is it just me, or does it seem kind of ridiculous to be protesting someone else's religion, even if that religion is kind of corrupt? Just seems like treading a very fine line, if you ask me.

gmontem

mDuo13, it's ok because no matter how you spin it we are all hypocrites. hehe
Fanimafia Avatar of the Week #15: Barnes
The Fanimafia Gallery (2002-3, 7)

i feel so loved!

DemonLordZabuza

So two thoughts:

-One, what in whatever higher power you believe in is this about?

-Two, why would a scietologist have an avatar of one of the most religious anime characters out there?

that is all

"Even a demon can learn to love."
-Me

phoenixphire24

Quote from: mDuo13 on February 06, 2008, 02:04:55 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem kind of ridiculous to be protesting someone else's religion, even if that religion is kind of corrupt? Just seems like treading a very fine line, if you ask me.

The protest is not about certain people's religious beliefs; I don't care what people believe. It's about the corrupt and criminal activities behind the "church." Scientology is a business that uses pseudo-scientific therapy (which people who want to join the church must pay thousands of dollars for-without being told the real beliefs of the church) to make money, but call themselves a religion to get tax-exempt status and other rights. In the past they have used information gained from its followers to blackmail them and have also done things such as raid government offices in Washington DC to get information against people who are investigating them. They use this same tactic to prevent free speech in places such as the internet by using their parade of lawyers and copyright laws.

Basically Scientology is not like other main stream religions; in fact is has most of the hallmarks of being a cult. This protest is not against individuals or their beliefs. Most of the followers are being taken advantage of and have nothing to do with these activities.

Glitch

Quote from: Kazuko on February 04, 2008, 11:44:51 PM

I have been in a riot in peru I say wear a mask and bring water,goggles help alot

You ma'am, get 15 extra points on the hardcore scale for that.

Quote from: phoenixphire24 on February 07, 2008, 09:22:06 AM

The protest is not about certain people's religious beliefs; I don't care what people believe. It's about the corrupt and criminal activities behind the "church." Scientology is a business that uses pseudo-scientific therapy (which people who want to join the church must pay thousands of dollars for-without being told the real beliefs of the church) to make money, but call themselves a religion to get tax-exempt status and other rights. In the past they have used information gained from its followers to blackmail them and have also done things such as raid government offices in Washington DC to get information against people who are investigating them. They use this same tactic to prevent free speech in places such as the internet by using their parade of lawyers and copyright laws.

Basically Scientology is not like other main stream religions; in fact is has most of the hallmarks of being a cult. This protest is not against individuals or their beliefs. Most of the followers are being taken advantage of and have nothing to do with these activities.

You could argue the Vatican has done similar things over centuries, but I'm not gonna defend scientology in anyway. Afterall, they are to blame for couch jumping and Battlefield Earth.

I almost want to go since I have a megaphone. ^^

G.I.R

Co$ made Chef go away on Southpark.    Not even AX could do that.

talu-chan

"If you want to make a little money, write a book. If you want to make a lot of money, create a religion." -L. Ron Hubbard

this is a quotes from the man who started this "religion." Normally I am not one to say that people should not believe in whatever it is that they beleive in but this man.. this is just wrong.
These violent delights have violent ends and in their triumph die, like fire and powder, which, as they kiss, consume.

phoenixphire24

Quote from: Glitch on February 07, 2008, 09:32:51 AM
Quote from: Kazuko on February 04, 2008, 11:44:51 PM

You ma'am, get 15 extra points on the hardcore scale for that.

Quote from: phoenixphire24 on February 07, 2008, 09:22:06 AM

You could argue the Vatican has done similar things over centuries, but I'm not gonna defend scientology in anyway. Afterall, they are to blame for couch jumping and Battlefield Earth.

I almost want to go since I have a megaphone. ^^

No I totally agree with you about the Vatican thing, but most of those things were way in the past, so there's really nothing that can be done about them now. Also, where as Catholics might donate to their church to support up-keep and their local priest, as far as I know, they don't charge you to become a part of the religion. Most priests that I have talked to in a variety of Christian religions are more than happy to talk with you and give you advice whether or not you're an official member of the Church.

SukebeStudios

Um, while I support protesting and stuff...seriously guys, get a life!

lyricaldanichan

So how did the SJ raid go? I seen pics of the SF raid, awesome esp this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBDzzL3Kzpk

LAFFO