Nearby Liquor store?

Started by Moonblossom, February 03, 2008, 01:05:42 PM

Moonblossom

Since I'm travelling across an international border (coming in from Canada), I can't legally bring my own alcohol with me. I'm wondering if anyone knows of any convenience stores that sell alcohol as well (I'm also going to want to buy juice and soft drinks), or any package stores within reasonable walking or short taxi distance from the hotels (Hilton specifically, but wtf they're all near each other). Last year I only ended up fidning one on the second to last day, and that was in a car with some local friends. This time I'd like to be able to stock up on drinks and whatnot when I first arrive.

And yes, before anyone asks/nags, I'm well of age ;P I don't plan on attending the con hammered or anything, that's no fun! We just want to be able to have a drink or two before bed in the evenings to relax, since this is partially a trip for Fanime, and partially just an "omg we need to unwind and have a vacation" trip.

caskaslyrk

ummm there is a 7-11 about 8 blocks down from the marriott...but it would be the street to off to the side..hard to explain...there is also a liquor store with some pretty hot guys that run it...which is closer than 7-11...don't know the name of it...but only travel there during the day..lol...probably same walking distance from the marriot to Jack in the Box...Hope that helps!!

Moonblossom

Hm, I know I walked past the Jack a few times last summer, so it's really not too far. I don't suppose you remember the street it's on? ><

babytealeaf

There's a small liquor store on E. San Salvador between 3rd and 4th st, which is about 3 blocks away from the convention center. If you go to that one though, try to go during the day because strange people hang around there at night and hassle people.

Moonblossom

Awesome, thanks! I was planning on going fairly early in the day, while waiting for my friend's plane to get in, so I should be alright :) Or if it's really a seedy place, I might just wait for him to arrive and we can go together.

*toddles off to look it up on Google maps*

otakuya

Package place? Like a FedEx Kinkos? There's one down San Carlos towards SJSU, across the street from the McDonald's. There's also a Post Office on Paseo de San Antonio near Tengu Sushi.

Around SJSU (again), there's like four 7-Elevens within a few blocks from each other. From the convention center, the nearest of those is on 6th St. and San Salvador. I think there's also some smaller liquor stores just to the east of the CC also on San Salvador.

Moonblossom

Heh, sorry >< Package store is a regional term for a store that sells hard liquor, not just beer/wine.

But come to think of it, knowing where the FedEx depot is would be handy in case I buy anything I can't fit in my luggage! So thanks anyway :D

(also, hee hee The Stig!)

BunofGovt

Does the Walgreen's a few blocks away sell liquor?  I know they'll have juices and soda, but I don't recall if they sell liquor.  Can't remember the exact location but it's only a few blocks away.
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

otakuapprentice

if youre gonna try to ship any type of alcoholic beverage, you can't.

FedEx and UPS(as well as USPS) regulations state that anyone(except businesses that have a license) cannot ship any type of alcoholic beverage through the mail. the only way you can send booze is if you order it through sites like BevMo.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

babytealeaf

Oh yeah, there's also Zanotto's which is on 2nd st. You can take the light rail there from the convention center stop, or you can walk. It's between San Fernando and E. Santa Clara. Mostly beer and wine... they also have really yummy made to order deli sandwiches XD

PassingTheBuck

Hi my little MoonBlossom...    :D

You should check in with the Concierge Desk of the Hilton Hotel and they can tell you the closest liquor store and anything else that you need.  They are there to help you, so use them, abuse them and have happy time with us.   :P

Your Personal Advisor,   ;D

Craige...
Craige Howlett
Finance Director
FanimeCon/Clockwork
2003-2016

Moonblossom

Quote from: otakuapprentice on February 05, 2008, 08:39:10 PM
if youre gonna try to ship any type of alcoholic beverage, you can't.

FedEx and UPS(as well as USPS) regulations state that anyone(except businesses that have a license) cannot ship any type of alcoholic beverage through the mail. the only way you can send booze is if you order it through sites like BevMo.

Hehe, thanks, I know ><'' I meant if I buy like, a big poster, or a huge toy of some sort at the con, I can ship that home.

BunofGovt, as far as I know Walgreens is not liscenced to sell liquor, especially not hard stuff, which is what I'm after. Kahlua and cranberry juice makes an awesome (if disgusting-sounding) drink.

babytealeaf - Thank you! Sandwiches sound good too, I do think I'll have to eat as well as have a drink, haha.

Craige - ^.^;; Thank you! I'm such a pain, aren't I? And that's a good idea, I'll definitely ask the hotel staff. :D I never thought of that.

phoenixphire24

Quote from: babytealeaf on February 04, 2008, 06:55:33 PM
There's a small liquor store on E. San Salvador between 3rd and 4th st, which is about 3 blocks away from the convention center. If you go to that one though, try to go during the day because strange people hang around there at night and hassle people.

I think my friends and I went there a few years ago. We went at night and we were a little uneasy about it. We didn't have any problems, but I certainly wouldn't want to go there at night again.

I assume you're flying rather than driving, so you might be able to get some alcohol at a duty-free shop at an airport. If you're driving, just stop at any grocery store in the area.

Moonblossom

The laws are such that you can only shop at a duty free when -leaving- the country, not entering it :( Most shops will ask to see your boarding passes to make sure you're leaving and not coming in or you can't buy from them.

Thank you everyone for the helpful suggestions :) I think my best bet will be to check out that place on E San Salvador.

LadyKaren

Quote from: PassingTheBuck on February 06, 2008, 06:12:02 AM
Hi my little MoonBlossom...    :D

You should check in with the Concierge Desk of the Hilton Hotel and they can tell you the closest liquor store and anything else that you need.  They are there to help you, so use them, abuse them and have happy time with us.   :P

Your Personal Advisor,   ;D

Craige...

Okay that was just creepy.

otakuapprentice

otakuya

... and the easiest BevMo to get to from SJCC w/o a car is to take the Light Rail towards Alum Rock, and get off at the Great Mall.

Moonblossom

Quote from: LadyKaren on February 07, 2008, 05:39:58 PMOkay that was just creepy.

I think he's just teasing me because I'm an inquisitive, squeaky little pain in the arse ;P I hope, anyway...

And initially, I was hoping for something like a BevMo, but within walking distance. I'm afraid to take things like Light Rail or whatever by myself, I've never taken public transit in the area. I'm really honestly coming from a different country, travelling over three thousand miles, and I'm kind of terrified of getting lost >< I remember the immediate area and can walk around a bit, but anything further and I'd probably just end up paying for a taxi.

otakuapprentice

Quote from: Moonblossom on February 07, 2008, 06:43:00 PM
Quote from: LadyKaren on February 07, 2008, 05:39:58 PMOkay that was just creepy.

I think he's just teasing me because I'm an inquisitive, squeaky little pain in the arse ;P I hope, anyway...

And initially, I was hoping for something like a BevMo, but within walking distance. I'm afraid to take things like Light Rail or whatever by myself, I've never taken public transit in the area. I'm really honestly coming from a different country, travelling over three thousand miles, and I'm kind of terrified of getting lost >< I remember the immediate area and can walk around a bit, but anything further and I'd probably just end up paying for a taxi.
then i believe a group run to BevMo is in order!! no one can get lost that way, MUAHAHA!!

dibbly

[/quote]then i believe a group run to BevMo is in order!! no one can get lost that way, MUAHAHA!!
[/quote]
count me in if that happens=)
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
meow.