Earthquake(s)!

Started by otakuya, February 06, 2008, 11:10:50 PM

otakuya

There was another small earthquake tonight at 10:30. It was like the 3rd one this week. Kinda scary, but we're in CA, so meh.

[bad pun alert!]
It's all Alum Rock's fault!

babytealeaf

I'm in downtown sj and while I didn't feel it, I heard it o_O I thought a branch fell off of a tree or something.

When were the other 2?

otakuya

Monday 2/4 at 10:40pm and 11:10pm. Wednesday 2/6 at 10:30pm. All were like mag 3.0.

RyuHayabusa

I didn't feel nothing.

Geez, for a 3 pointer, people are making a lot of noise lol
My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC

Kegan_Flame

Quote from: RyuHayabusa on February 06, 2008, 11:50:38 PM
I didn't feel nothing.

i think the problem is.. we're supposed to get hit by another '89 massive one fairly soon.. and people are worried that since there's not been much activity lately.. that all these earthquaked we're having now could be pre-quakes.. or be the cause of a larger scale and more devistating earthquake..

DemonLordZabuza

I've only felt one earthquake in my life...and that was the last big one we had in SJ...I've slept through all the other ones...its like an extra rock to your bed :P

"Even a demon can learn to love."
-Me

Runewitt

Last one i felt was back in Oct, but i'm over in Hayward.
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.

RyuHayabusa

Quote from: Kegan_Flame on February 07, 2008, 12:26:07 AM
Quote from: RyuHayabusa on February 06, 2008, 11:50:38 PM
I didn't feel nothing.

i think the problem is.. we're supposed to get hit by another '89 massive one fairly soon.. and people are worried that since there's not been much activity lately.. that all these earthquaked we're having now could be pre-quakes.. or be the cause of a larger scale and more devistating earthquake..

Well, if these are pre-shocks or not, I hope it gets people to think about getting ready for a major quake. You're right, there 's supposed to be the big one, but who knows "WHEN" it'll happen. Might as well start preparing for it now than pay for it later.
My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC

Chun

Didn't feel anything in Davis.

Only Earthquake I really experienced was in 4th grade of Elementary School. Ms. Denison reading a story, then suddenly all the kids disperse immediately, scurrying under the desks. A genuine rumble that made me fall over a bit.

No major damage though. Just some street/blacktop cracks.

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: Chun on February 07, 2008, 02:38:04 AM
Only Earthquake I really experienced was in 4th grade of Elementary School. Ms. Denison reading a story, then suddenly all the kids disperse immediately, scurrying under the desks. A genuine rumble that made me fall over a bit.

No major damage though. Just some street/blacktop cracks.

~Chun

Hahaha, that sounds like the cutest thing ever. But it must've been quite a shake for it to make new cracks in the concrete.

I grew up in San Francisco, so we had light earthquakes on a regular basis, and I was born after the 'quake of '89. Then when I moved to Millbrae, we'd seldom get light quakes, but just aftershocks of quakes elsewhere. Now that I'm in Hayward, I don't think many people have felt earthquakes recently other than the last one in San Jose. Though they kind of freak me out, and knock my stuff over (hopefully not my PVCs -_-), it's mildly exciting being in a light earthquake once in a while.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Appu

The only one I experienced was last semester. There was that earthquake, and my prof (C++ one; he's a *bleeeeeeeeep*) and we were all like telling him that there's an earthquake for like what felt like the longest time. He completely ignored the whole class and continued lecturing.

Now if I had pushed a monitor so that it fell to the floor, then he'd stop immediately. Should've done that, lol.
MARIACHI, the Mixed Apparatus for Radar Investigation of Cosmic-rays of High Ionization, is an apparatus for the detection of ultra-high-energy cosmic rays (UHECR) via bi-static radar using VHF transmitters!

Kava

I grew up in Alaska, which generally has more earthquakes than CA.  :P Usually, a lot of little quakes are a good thing, because they mean that the pressure is being released slowly and won't need to blow in a huge release all at once.

No earthquakes for a long time would be more likely to result in a huge one, methinks.

>>;; People in AK are much more blase about earthquakes than Californians though, I learned. Up there, generally when there's an earthquake, you wait a moment to see if it's going to get bad, and if not, you just go back to what you were doing. There's not even usually a rush for doorways or underneath tables unless it gets really strong. Down here, people tend to panic. ^^;;
Rena
Panels Coordinator 2007-2014
Programming Director, 2015

Panels Twitter: http://twitter.com/FanimePanels

Emerge

felt it here at the Daly City/SF Border. the epicenter was right off the coast of Pacifica, so i'm not too surprised that it didn't hit SJ. i was awake already, so i felt it pretty good. jeez...i'm so glad i don't live on the top floor of my building anymore

Gatsby

I live to far away to feel them sadly. :(

Sunara Ishi

Quote from: DemonLordZabuza on February 07, 2008, 12:32:20 AM
its like an extra rock to your bed :P
The earth just wants to rock us to sleep. XP
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

Gatsby

Lactose

what can you really do to prepare for an earthquake?
itll happen when it happens and theres not really a lot you can do about it.
Lactose = Liz

~~Loktera~~

Over here in WG, I gots nothin'
It all really depends how well the lies are told...

Golden State Warrior

Little earthquakes are fun. It's the big ones that worry me.

Gatsby

Ya know I don't even worry about them. I feel some strong ones every now and again, but I don't care really. I mean if they're going to come nothing can be done to stop it.