My Birthday Cherry Blossom Festival Gathering!

Started by Gatsby, February 10, 2008, 10:50:17 AM

Gatsby

Ok so it turns out that my birthday, April 20th, falls on the Cherry Blossom Festival Cosplay Parade. So I decided that I'd have my birthday at the Festival, get away from my town, go on a mini road trip, so I thought that I'd turn it into a gathering since some of you will be there anyway. :P I'm not sure on the details fully yet, but suggestions, times, and what not would be appreciated.

destranacion

pika ball player!

official jesus of fanime con!

Chloe

I'll be there with Ohsu. 

^ is in the Cosplay Parade and Contest.

The plan on that day is this:

Cosplayers IN CONTEST, meet @ City Hall at 10 AM for judging. 

Cosplayers NOT IN CONTEST, but FOR PARADE, meet @ City Hall at 12:00 PM.

So, typically, you can do this:

Date: April 20th, 2008
Meeting Place: In front of San Francisco City Hall; I guess where all the cosplayers are.
Time:  10 AM for people who wanna be there for the cosplay judging; 12 PM for those who want to get there before the parade starts.

Possible schedule can be:

- 10AM/12PM meet up in front of SF City Hall
- Parade starts @ 12:30 PM, people who walk in parade walk; people not in parade drive to Japantown SF.
-  After parade ends, meet at some point (It can be discussed later. Japantown gets really crowded later, so it'll be hard to find people)
-  Hang around Japantown; Kinokuniya, etc.
- Find a restaurant to eat for a lunch/dinner (Might be hard too, because of the many people)
- Anything else?

I'm just stating what we did in the previous years.  Hopefully this will help you decide on what you'd want to do. ^^
Cosplays for '10?  WHO KNOWS!?!

Gatsby

That sounds fun. :P Oh and I take it one needs to register t be in the contest and parade?

Chloe

Quote from: Darth_Diclonius on February 12, 2008, 10:11:20 AM
That sounds fun. :P Oh and I take it one needs to register t be in the contest and parade?

Well, to participate in the parade, it's FREE and requires no registration

And to participate in the Contest, you need to pre-register by April 2nd at Japan Video in SF Japantown. 
(Also FREE)

Really, registering is a free way to get a goodie bag. lol.  Last year they gave out a plush and some posters.
Cosplays for '10?  WHO KNOWS!?!

Gatsby

Hmmm... ok I'll do it next time I'm down in Japan Town. ^_^

So after the parade (which ends when roughly?) we could go somewhere to eat. Any suggestions for a place to eat?
Any other suggestions would be great.

Mr. Wendell

Quote from: Chloe on February 12, 2008, 10:15:03 AM
Quote from: Darth_Diclonius on February 12, 2008, 10:11:20 AM

Well, to participate in the parade, it's FREE and requires no registration

And to participate in the Contest, you need to pre-register by April 2nd at Japan Video in SF Japantown. 
(Also FREE)

Really, registering is a free way to get a goodie bag. lol.  Last year they gave out a plush and some posters.

I always thought if you wanted to be a parade participant (meaning a cosplayer not in the contest, but just wanted to walk the parade), you did have to register with Japan Video & Media for that.

Then again, if you don't want the free stuff you get with that, I don't see a problem with just participating.

Remember, the limit for participating in the costume contest is 100 entries, with a small amount on the waiting list in case some do not make it.

If there are two floats like last year, the 1st place through 4th place winners will earn the right to ride the floats.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wv3ha5qJSo
They hate this awful face, gonna cause **** in this place.

Mr. Wendell
Head '24, Host w/ the Most, Stage Zero, FanimeCon '06-'24
Life of the Party, (insert convention here)

short_storiesgl

Dance Staff Second

otakuapprentice

if i have the time off from work, then count me in.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

AbsolutelyCursed

short_storiesgl

Dance Staff Second

otakuapprentice

Quote from: short_storiesgl on February 28, 2008, 11:31:52 PM
Quote from: otakuapprentice on February 28, 2008, 07:59:44 PM
if i have the time off from work, then count me in.

go with me!

if i have the time off, i can.

I'll know for sure as it time closer to the festival.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

short_storiesgl

Dance Staff Second

Emerge

ooh, i might make it this time. see, it was my bday last CBF and most of the day was spent with family. so this year...just maybe

Barnes

April 20 is close to my b-day as well.
Put me down as a maybe for this gathering.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

kimu

I just registered yesterday. They are up to 47 entries now for the contest.
They also have a box on the form if you just want to walk in the parade, but not enter the contest.

My question is what is the best place to park and then get from one place to the other before/after the parade?
It sounds like the better option is to be parked at Japantown? But then what's the best way to get to City Hall?

Any other tips and suggestions from those who've done it before would be appreciated. Thank you!

short_storiesgl

Quote from: kimu on March 02, 2008, 09:01:37 AM

My question is what is the best place to park and then get from one place to the other before/after the parade?
It sounds like the better option is to be parked at Japantown? But then what's the best way to get to City Hall?

Bart
Dance Staff Second

VictimX

Well I'm going to be down there for the festival but no in the parade this year, well I might... but anyway I'd like to join up with you guys for a multi b-day gathering it sounds like fun.

short_storiesgl

Me TOO!

So you better liek invlite me or fanime will be hell!
Dance Staff Second

kimu

re: Bart
Okay! So anyone else entering the contest planning to meet up to travel over together by way of Bart?
I have to wonder what the other passengers are like seeing cosplayers?