Signs are banned at the convention.

Started by PyronIkari, February 11, 2008, 09:10:39 PM

PyronIkari

Yup, that's right, signs are banned on the whole. I brought this up at the fanime meeting to some of the con heads, and all of them said the same things "Signs are officially banned from the convention, and don't be suprised if any of the staff ask for you to throw the sign away, or to give it to them for them to dispose of".

So there you have it, let people know. Chances are they won't be assholes, and go up to everyone with a sign and tell them to trash them(because who has that time?) but they are officially banned. It's on the site apparently, when you register or what not(i'm not sure where, but that's what I was told).

\o/ YAY

otakuapprentice

i'm guessing this probably also applies to any anime character that holds a sign as part of its costume, or if the sign is relevant to the character being cosplayed.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

otakuya

How about t-shirts with the same kind of messages?

otakuapprentice

if its a graphic shirt you bought, no one will probably care; if you write it on a shirt, you're just trying to go around the rule. that doesn't help at all.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

Kazuko

iNSOMNiAC

Thank you for letting us know; this personally doesn't affect me since I've never wielded a sign, but its helpful information to let my friends, who are newcomers to Fanime and cons in general, know about.

And just so I have this straight (I just want to be absolutely sure about it; I'm sorry to make you repeat yourself if you have stated this), this rule also includes, like otakuapprentice pointed out, signs closely associated with cosplays, correct?

PyronIkari

I'm not staff so it's not like my word is law or anything, however using my judgment...

Signs that have a real purpose won't be confiscated and what not. LIke if a Genma cosplayer has a wood sign, or if it's obviously a part of a costume because the character holds signs like that, it'll be okay. If the sign has a purpose like, "NARUTO GATHERING HERE" or the such, same story. But it's the obvious attention whoring signs, and the ones that are there just for attention and serve to real purpose... those are the ones that are banned.

Again, I'm not staff, so don't take my word as law.

iNSOMNiAC

Staff or not, what you're saying makes sense and answers all my further questions about it anyways, so thank you. I was mostly curious about the signs that are associated with helping people find gatherings anyways, so hopefully those will still be allowed.

Glitch

Quote from: PyronIkari on February 11, 2008, 09:57:54 PM
I'm not staff so it's not like my word is law or anything, however using my judgment...

Signs that have a real purpose won't be confiscated and what not. LIke if a Genma cosplayer has a wood sign, or if it's obviously a part of a costume because the character holds signs like that, it'll be okay. If the sign has a purpose like, "NARUTO GATHERING HERE" or the such, same story. But it's the obvious attention whoring signs, and the ones that are there just for attention and serve to real purpose... those are the ones that are banned.

Again, I'm not staff, so don't take my word as law.
Well if those are the exact details, then it isn't all that bad. I used to have a costume where I waved my "Generic tentacle victim" sign around. I'd hate for people with similar costumes to have their signs taken away.

~~Loktera~~

Well, blast... And my "special project" was almost finished.

Blame the actions of a few for screwing it up for the many... My sign was going to be awesome.
It all really depends how well the lies are told...

PyronIkari

Quote from: Glitch on February 12, 2008, 09:23:07 AM

Well if those are the exact details, then it isn't all that bad. I used to have a costume where I waved my "Generic tentacle victim" sign around. I'd hate for people with similar costumes to have their signs taken away.

No... that sign would fall into the category of "attention whoring" and is not part of a costume. Part of a costume is...

An Azudai character with an "あ"(A) sign. Or like... Lilith with a X or O sign if she's in the "Showtime" costume.

Akito Starwind

ok I bet by the time the con starts, every thing you need to know about the rule should be worked out.  From me thinking about it for one min. I think that Anyone with a sign will be told to remove it, unless it is part of a Cosply. If the sign holder clams the sign is, then the staffer/SOS member says "ok then if you wish to have the sign you and me can walk to Con Ops and they will check out your sign and make a judgment call on it." then If it is a cosply sign your sign will get a Tag Just like for a weapon. then you would have your sign, and if anyone stops you for it you can show them the tag saying its ok.  anyone else think this is fair? This would get rid of useless signs and keep signs that cosply. or any other signs like say a sign being held by a maid for the Maid cafe, Advertising the cafe. She can keep her sign because she would have her tag and then you dont get people crying that others have signs why not me. It would be a clear rule saying that sign was checked out. well I take that back you will always have people crying about something but if they do you can simply say Con Ops approved that sign. If you want a sign have Con ops Check it to see if its allowed.  Well thats my take on it. Please If anyone feels this is a good idea then by all means Bring it to a Staff meting and sagest it.
Dealers Room Staff 2004
Dealers Room Staff 2005
Dealers Room Staff 2006
Dealers Room Staff 2007
Dealers Room Staff 2008

PyronIkari

Quote from: Akito Starwind on February 12, 2008, 09:14:05 PM
ok I bet by the time the con starts, every thing you need to know about the rule should be worked out.  From me thinking about it for one min. I think that Anyone with a sign will be told to remove it, unless it is part of a Cosply. If the sign holder clams the sign is, then the staffer/SOS member says "ok then if you wish to have the sign you and me can walk to Con Ops and they will check out your sign and make a judgment call on it." then If it is a cosply sign your sign will get a Tag Just like for a weapon. then you would have your sign, and if anyone stops you for it you can show them the tag saying its ok.  anyone else think this is fair? This would get rid of useless signs and keep signs that cosply. or any other signs like say a sign being held by a maid for the Maid cafe, Advertising the cafe. She can keep her sign because she would have her tag and then you dont get people crying that others have signs why not me. It would be a clear rule saying that sign was checked out. well I take that back you will always have people crying about something but if they do you can simply say Con Ops approved that sign. If you want a sign have Con ops Check it to see if its allowed.  Well thats my take on it. Please If anyone feels this is a good idea then by all means Bring it to a Staff meting and sagest it.

Except the majority of it is obvious and there would be no need for a sticker or a tag, or for con ops to even bother with it. It's kind of obvious to see the difference between "A sign with a point" and "A sign to attention whore".

AnimeEmperor

Signs made me chuckle, but I won't miss them. If you want attention take the time to cosplay.

Runewitt

i'm sure people will try to pull them out and hide them, or complain that they didnt know about it.
i wont miss them.
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.

OniCourseMusha

Before you get excited for all the sign haters.  I have a huge concern over this.

Will they actually let me use my "Brain Age" sign?  Cuz its considered both cosplay and a sign at the same time! 
I don't want not a single staffer come off to me and tell me "oh you're not aloud to have signs here" or else I will complain at the desk.  Man wit out that sign, how the hell people can tell I am cosplaying as Brain Age guy.  The sign was portraying the title screen of brain age.  I really enjoy that cosplay when I brought it to Yaoi-con and can't wait to bring my Brain Age 2 cosplay at fanime.
Ahhh watever!  I do agree that there are too much signs at the con at a certain degree.  But I am bit concern that took away the fun to the community.  Lets see how it goes.  I'm not defending the sign issue cuz I losing interest of doing signs after Sac-anime but I'm just defending my cosplay material.  Taking away my cosplay to portray my Brain Age cosplay just because its a sign is like Brain Age cosplayers are banned.  Umm well at least I'm gonna wear my glomp me shirt.
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

AnimeEmperor

Quote from: OniCourseMusha on February 13, 2008, 01:41:50 PM
Before you get excited for all the sign haters.  I have a huge concern over this.

Will they actually let me use my "Brain Age" sign?  Cuz its considered both cosplay and a sign at the same time! 
I don't want not a single staffer come off to me and tell me "oh you're not aloud to have signs here" or else I will complain at the desk.  Man wit out that sign, how the hell people can tell I am cosplaying as Brain Age guy.  The sign was portraying the title screen of brain age.  I really enjoy that cosplay when I brought it to Yaoi-con and can't wait to bring my Brain Age 2 cosplay at fanime.
Ahhh watever!  I do agree that there are too much signs at the con at a certain degree.  But I am bit concern that took away the fun to the community.  Lets see how it goes.  I'm not defending the sign issue cuz I losing interest of doing signs after Sac-anime but I'm just defending my cosplay material.  Taking away my cosplay to portray my Brain Age cosplay just because its a sign is like Brain Age cosplayers are banned.  Umm well at least I'm gonna wear my glomp me shirt.
Oni do not fear, for you are loved and known by all. I doubt anyone will bother you.....probably.

Jun-Watarase

It's pretty common-sense that that's... a costume. I doubt any staffer would ask you to throw your costume away, unless they're complete idiots. Unless somewhere on the sign says "Hug me, I'm the Brain-Age guy!" it shouldn't be a problem.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

OniCourseMusha

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on February 13, 2008, 02:49:30 PM
It's pretty common-sense that that's... a costume. I doubt any staffer would ask you to throw your costume away, unless they're complete idiots. Unless somewhere on the sign says "Hug me, I'm the Brain-Age guy!" it shouldn't be a problem.
Eck!!  That's unoriginal!!  That's more attention than the cosplay itself! lol!
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

Akito Starwind

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on February 13, 2008, 02:49:30 PM

Yes I think you are right Common sense is what needs to be used. But just like the weapons policy, any weapon like item needs to be tagged. even if its common sense that it is in no way a danger to anyone. Im just trying to look at this from a legal stand point. a set policy must be set just as we have a clear policy on weapons, If we only said that if you see a weapon and your common sense says it is ok and not a threat, then you have a rule based on someone making a judgment call based on there ideas. I am all for No signs but a clear policy needs to be made. You eather have Zero signs being held by Fans or Fans that are allowed to have a sign that has been approved, Or Having a Fan with a cosply sign allways being asked by some staffer who may not know its a cosply sign to remove it then having to expline it is a cosply sign, over and over again. But what do you do with a Cosplayer that has a sign that has nothing to do with the anime? you end up with a staffer or SOS member saying that you can have it, because the cosplayer tells them its part of the Cosplay. but then the same Cosplayer with the same sign gets stopped down the hall by a staffer that knows the anime that he/she is cosplaying and says that sign is not part of the show so you need to throw it away.  I just like to see Clear policy on a subject. I don't believe leaving the judgment call to random staff'ers or such, will work to well because it leaves alot of personnel common sense judgment calls. Whats common sense to me Is not necessary Common sense to some one else. Its sad that in this world we live in now, that we have to break down a policy to much to dumb proof it.
Dealers Room Staff 2004
Dealers Room Staff 2005
Dealers Room Staff 2006
Dealers Room Staff 2007
Dealers Room Staff 2008