Anyone been to Yaoi Con?

Started by Paladin Cecil, February 17, 2008, 08:08:30 PM

Paladin Cecil

Has anyone here been to Yaoi Con before? Even though I've never really been a yaoi person, I've been thinking of attending it someday. I have some ideas that would be interesting that would be more likely to work at Yaoi Con than they would at normal anime cons.

I've also got a few questions about it that I wanted to ask.
1. For those who have attended it, what do you think of it?
2. What's the dealer room like? Is the stuff they sell there generally yaoi or do they have a good amount of regular con merchandise as well?
3. This is probably a dumb question, but do people cosplay there as much as they do at normal anime cons? If so, is what they wear generally yaoi-related or do they cosplay as characters they like like people do at normal cons? I was wondering because I know that Yaoi Con is more yaoi-oriented than most cons.

Tony

I've only been there one day, and I was at the Fanime table most of the time, but...

1. I thought it was fun. It comes off as though it's going to be hyper-sexual/erotic, but although that is there to an extent, it's nothing like a sex store or something.
2. The part I went into was, I'd say, 60% regular 40% yaoi-specific.
3. I can't really say, though of the cosplayers I saw, it was more yaoi and/or erotic.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

OniCourseMusha

We have a Yaoi-con virgin!! lol!

Anyways I treat this as a convention just like any other con except the only difference is you have to be over 18.  I enjoyed it on my first year of yaoi-con and its not that bad than you think.  You just have to be there to experience it yourself.  The dealers room are pretty decent like most cons.  What i've seen I just seen peope cosplayers like most cons as usual.  I even cosplayed as the DDR pad and brain age guy as usual.
Lets say that this event is an more adult oriented anime convention than most con.  I really enjoy it.
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

Paladin Cecil

OniCourseMusha: Were you the Brain Age cosplayer from Sac Anime? If so, that's really cool. I was the Dark cosplayer.

OniCourseMusha

Quote from: Paladin Cecil on February 19, 2008, 08:17:41 PM
OniCourseMusha: Were you the Brain Age cosplayer from Sac Anime? If so, that's really cool. I was the Dark cosplayer.
HAHA! Yeah thats me.  But I debuted my Brain Age cosplay at Yaoicon.  You should really check it out.
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

Paladin Cecil

Okay, cool. I'll look into it.  :)

punk_parfait

1. I like the lack of really young kids at the con and I think it's a good time.
2. I'm not in there much but from what I remember, a good amount of both yaoi/non-yaoi.
3. Yes and I've seen all sorts of cosplays, mostly "regular" anime/manga/game characters in my experience.

It's worth a trip once if you're curious about it. :3

ChenCzen

paging ryu to topic 8828.0

he is somewhat of an expert on this con and whenever the topic comes up he loves to play spokesperson... probably because of an incredibly good time he had?
Except for ending communism, slavery, nazism, and fascism, WAR HAS NEVER SOLVED ANYTHING!!

AbsolutelyCursed

Quote from: punk_parfait on February 29, 2008, 11:04:07 AM
1. I like the lack of really young kids at the con and I think it's a good time.
2. I'm not in there much but from what I remember, a good amount of both yaoi/non-yaoi.
3. Yes and I've seen all sorts of cosplays, mostly "regular" anime/manga/game characters in my experience.

It's worth a trip once if you're curious about it. :3

Count me in as being curious.

suna_no_yoroi

I'm thinking of going to Yaoi con myself this year.  I was a bit worried at first, cause the website focused on stating that it was directed towards the female audience, so I wasn't sure how well men were going to be accepted... that being said, It's looking more and more like something I'd like to do this year, assuming I can get the time off work/school and whatnot.

Steve.Young

I thought about staffing it this year for security/safety. Still thinking =p
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Shinsengumi

I'm showing up at Yaoi con, I was gonna pre-reg but I didn't have money to do it after the con. But I will be there
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).