Inquiry about Maid Cafe

Started by TheMaKaKi, February 17, 2008, 11:55:23 PM

Steve.Young

I can never look at Jerry the same way...ever...again...
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: Steve.Young on April 16, 2008, 10:25:49 PM
I can never look at Jerry the same way...ever...again...

Let's see what Jerry has to say about that. =|

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

Jerry

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on April 16, 2008, 07:39:54 PM
*Rubs chin*

You promised you wouldnt release those photos! GASP! my secret is out!
....Darn, I've really let myself go. I better get back into shape.  :-[
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: Chun on April 16, 2008, 11:30:31 PM

*Thinks about it for a minute.*

... It works, it works!

EDIT: Hahaha, I feel guilty for spamming this thread now. Uh... For those that were at the meeting on the 13th, I'll send e-mails including the hand-outs tomorrow afternoon. E'yup. :U

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

zoupzuop2

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on April 16, 2008, 07:39:54 PM

[Insert Rabbid-like DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH here]

I'll be at the meeting on Sunday.
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

*rei*

Quote from: Kazuko on April 01, 2008, 02:28:07 AM
I think the age restriction was 15 or 16+ I cant quite remember, but you had to get a parent consent if you are under 18. Uniforms arent decided yet, you will have to pay for it. and well almost every con goer eat at a cafe =\ it is open to the con/general public so you will get almost every type of person

thats what i can recall, and theres another maid cafe thread mentioning alot of these things in the live programing event section

you said you have to pay for the uniforms? how much was it last year?
Fanime 2010 Woo Hoo!

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: *rei* on April 17, 2008, 02:26:40 PM
I think the age restriction was 15 or 16+ I cant quite remember, but you had to get a parent consent if you are under 18. Uniforms arent decided yet, you will have to pay for it. and well almost every con goer eat at a cafe =\ it is open to the con/general public so you will get almost every type of person

thats what i can recall, and theres another maid cafe thread mentioning alot of these things in the live programing event section

Here's quoting from the e-mail sent to all applicants that were interested.

- - - -

Applicants aged 16 and 17 will be asked to have their parent/guardian sign a simple take-home form for the Cafe (you do not need to bring your parent with you; just have the form in by the time of the convention, or you will not be able to participate.) We cannot take any applicants under the age of 15, sorry!

The last hour will be devoted to the most important part: costume approval.

The previous year, our uniforms were ordered through Honest Dragon China's Ebay store. The volunteers themselves bought three specific uniforms, of which, two versions are available from the seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gothic-Lolita-Cosplay-Costume-Home-Maid-BW2L-CUSTOM_W0QQitemZ230239881141QQihZ013QQcategoryZ63861QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gothic-Lolita-Home-Maid-Sissy-Cosplay-costume-B-W_W0QQitemZ230184259576QQihZ013QQcategoryZ314QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You are welcome and encouraged to order these costumes; you will match those who are volunteering from last year, and these uniforms are beautiful and traditional. If you are interested in ordering them, please do so promptly! You are welcome to "dress up" these uniforms with headdresses, ribbons and the like, but no major alterations to the dress should be made. Our uniforms are black and white ONLY, with optional touches of red if you like.

If not, we've opened the floor for you to make your own costume, or wear one that has been made for you! (On a few conditions.) Our uniforms must be black and white ONLY, touches of red are optional. An apron on the front of some kind if highly recommended. Please keep traditionality in mind: we are looking for Japanese maid uniforms, like the ones exemplified above. Some lolita styles are acceptable if they look enough like service wear, and Western Maid uniforms are relatively acceptable if they look close enough or are modified. Very heavy J-rock influence should be avoided- we're looking for adorable or classy or elegant or feminine, etc. Please, no very short skirts. French maid uniforms are absolutely UNacceptable, for example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hot-Sexy-Lingerie-Costume-Party-Maid-Cosplay-M04_W0QQitemZ150232849466QQihZ005QQcategoryZ4844QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

FanimaidCafe.com

LadyKaren

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on April 17, 2008, 02:38:02 PM
Quote from: *rei* on April 17, 2008, 02:26:40 PM

Here's quoting from the e-mail sent to all applicants that were interested.

- - - -

Applicants aged 16 and 17 will be asked to have their parent/guardian sign a simple take-home form for the Cafe (you do not need to bring your parent with you; just have the form in by the time of the convention, or you will not be able to participate.) We cannot take any applicants under the age of 15, sorry!

The last hour will be devoted to the most important part: costume approval.

The previous year, our uniforms were ordered through Honest Dragon China's Ebay store. The volunteers themselves bought three specific uniforms, of which, two versions are available from the seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gothic-Lolita-Cosplay-Costume-Home-Maid-BW2L-CUSTOM_W0QQitemZ230239881141QQihZ013QQcategoryZ63861QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gothic-Lolita-Home-Maid-Sissy-Cosplay-costume-B-W_W0QQitemZ230184259576QQihZ013QQcategoryZ314QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You are welcome and encouraged to order these costumes; you will match those who are volunteering from last year, and these uniforms are beautiful and traditional. If you are interested in ordering them, please do so promptly! You are welcome to "dress up" these uniforms with headdresses, ribbons and the like, but no major alterations to the dress should be made. Our uniforms are black and white ONLY, with optional touches of red if you like.

If not, we've opened the floor for you to make your own costume, or wear one that has been made for you! (On a few conditions.) Our uniforms must be black and white ONLY, touches of red are optional. An apron on the front of some kind if highly recommended. Please keep traditionality in mind: we are looking for Japanese maid uniforms, like the ones exemplified above. Some lolita styles are acceptable if they look enough like service wear, and Western Maid uniforms are relatively acceptable if they look close enough or are modified. Very heavy J-rock influence should be avoided- we're looking for adorable or classy or elegant or feminine, etc. Please, no very short skirts. French maid uniforms are absolutely UNacceptable, for example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hot-Sexy-Lingerie-Costume-Party-Maid-Cosplay-M04_W0QQitemZ150232849466QQihZ005QQcategoryZ4844QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I tend to skim threads and I read: "we're looking for adorable or classy... for example: *link*"

Then I saw the outfit and had a "..." moment.

Thoth

There's one more meeting! If you haven't yet attended, here's the last date and time!

Sunday 5/4/08 - San Jose Civic Auditorium (across the street from San Jose Convention Center)

9 AM to 1 PM.

Please be there if you want to volunteer for the maid cafe.
Feeds.  Welcome to the Fanime boards.  Are you ready to pull the rawhide?  Just stay away from my mouse footpath.

Jun-Watarase

Crossposting this from my other post in the other Maid Cafe thread.

The meeting went relatively well this week! For those who have attended today and read this thread, it's advisory to come to the follow up meetings to review and have someone work with you one-on-one with the specifics, e.g. language training, bowing, and overall appearance. Some of the people I worked with today during training had trouble projecting, and pronouncing the phrases, but please remember that this is a very important part of being both a maid and a waitress in general. You need to be able to have your patron understand what you are saying. Remember to study, but do not rush yourself, otherwise, you will develop bad habits and get too nervous! But everything worked very hard and did a good job. Just please, remember to practice! Review the hand-outs I gave you. Here are the notes on the handout for you to refer to if you don't have the hand-out with you.

Master (for male patrons): 「ご主人様」 "Goshujinsama" goh-shoo-jeen-sah-mah
Miss (for female patrons): 「お嬢様」 "Ojousama" oh-joh-sah-mah (The "joh" is elongated.)
Welcome home, Master/Miss: 「お帰りなさい」 "Okaerinasai" oh-kah-eh-lee-na-sai (Remember that 'ka' is before 'e', slow down and break down syllables to practice"
Have a nice day: 「行ってらっしゃいませ」 "Itterasshaimase" ee-tte-ra-sshai-mah-seh (Remember the notes I have said for double letters like "tte")

Practice from the examples I've given you today and do your best. Remember to slow down and break things down into syllables before saying it naturally.

If you have lost it COMPLETELY, or have any trouble with studying, please e-mail me at [email protected] and I'll send you a .doc copy of it to you as soon as possible. If you can, it'd be best if you're able to go to the next meetings for review. Thanks everyone.

FanimaidCafe.com

Thoth

There will be an emergency training meeting held Sunday, May 18th, from 10 am to 1 pm, at the San Jose Convention Center, Parkside Hall Room B. If you are interested in being a maid at the maid cafe, or volunteering in some fashion, please attend!
Feeds.  Welcome to the Fanime boards.  Are you ready to pull the rawhide?  Just stay away from my mouse footpath.

Thoth

There will a review meeting during Fanime at Meeting Room N, on Friday, at 5 PM. All maids need to attend this meeting.

Jun-Watarase

HEY. HEY. YOU PEOPLE. Yeah, that's right. YOU.

... thooooooose involved with the maid cafe, GO to the meeting at 5pm. All maids need to be there. It's mandatory. It's very mandatory. That's right. I mean it.

Go or we'll hunt you down.

With harpoons.

That is all.

FanimaidCafe.com

TheMaKaKi

Volunteered at Fanimaid Cafe today and least to say, I was so sad at how understaffed the event was :(!!

Sydney had tried her best emailing people like CRAZY (Well, she emailed me back continuously without fail) and even kindly, setting up emergency meetings to encourage people to volunteer.

I have been reading Fanimaid Cafe comments for like an hour and I have seen all the positive and negative comments.

Thanks to all who have been so kind to help teach us and no thanks to those who just sit on their butts at the computer hoping to upset people and shock them into drastically changing Fanimaid Cafe.

Least to say, I was upset at the very, very negative comments about Fanimaid Cafe. It is VERY hard to coordinate Maid volunteers because we all live around California or even out of state. A lot of the girls or guys who want to volunteer and help display a "maid cafe" also do not know what to expect.

In the beginning, I MOST certainly did not know what a maid cafe particularly was, but after going to one of the training dates, I definitely got the gist of it and researched it myself. I tried my best to not only handle the trays and serve customers, but I also interacted with them and saw how comfortable my customers were. I maintained myself in a calm composure and bowed each and every time with a smile.

Volunteering at the Cafe today was fun. I was very happy with the girls who wanted to be there and dedicate their time instead of watching panels and shows. Not all girls are shy, timid, and dainty as mouse, but their vibrant, energetic personalities definitely brought a lot of life to the Maid Cafe.

I am thankful for this ideal and event. Like the Fanime Convention when it was once held as a one-day convention at Foothill College, I believe in Fanimaid Cafe and its future growth. I hope the cafe will get its OWN room one day and that we will have a solid staff/volunteer base dedicated to return to this cafe every year. So thank you to all of the maid trainers and staff for helping the maids.
donnaATfanime.com
speeddatingATfanime.com

2016, 2015, 2014: Speed Dating Head
2013: Speed Dating Co-Head
2012 : Speed Dating Second
2002 'till Present : Fan Attendee <33

Jun-Watarase

I applaud the results, and am proud of all of us.

FanimaidCafe.com

SyntaxSnack

Pictures!  Pictures!  I'd like to see how the pictures everyone took came out :3