How much do YOU spend on fanime??

Started by KawaiiAngel, February 18, 2008, 09:28:28 PM

KawaiiAngel

I will be attending fanime for the first year this year, and I want to get a feel for how much I should save up
I know, I might have a heart attack, but I'm making my own cosplay and someone else is driving me (=no gas)
So hopefully it wont be THAT bad (although I AM a sucker for otaku goods XP)

So, in past experiences, how much have YOU spent on fanime? Was all of it worth it? What do you recommend buying/NOT buying?

Mizuki

I spent like 150 last year. Included like 3 figures, a ps2 swap disc, and food (which was like for only one meal, I didn't eat).

heeroyuy135

Moonblossom

I've put aside $1600 for my Fanime Fund for this year.

Though admittedly a very large portion of that is going to a plane ticket, and another large portion is going to a hotel for five nights rather than the usual three, since I've got a lot of travelling to do ><

I'm budgeting around 350 for food, drink, and dealer's room goodies. Possibly a bit more for the dealer's room if I can get the plane ticket for less than the estimated $800 I'm looking at right now.

ININ

$100 is reasonable for non-dvd and non-figurine purchases.  I spent $120 last year for a Hitsugaya figurine.

I have about $200 for Fanime'08 because I'm selling at the Swap Meet.

redroses3164

If you're a compulsive shopper, you will have a hard time not buying everything in site. There's lots of things to buy... XD

Anyway, last year I bought around $100 worth of stuff. I didn't wanna spend too much just in case something happens and I need money for something important.

EvilBunnyKid

$200...............................a day....................4 days....................$800...............thats not including hotel.....flight....and food......that was last year.................yes, i live with my mom still........   :P

kuroi

<_<  >_>  ...way too much.
I live in the area, so don't have to pay much for transportation, and usually end up splitting room cost with friends. I also pre-reg early, and eat little at the con (I bring tea bags and instant ramen with me), so most of the money goes towards the dealer's room and artist's alley.

...which always ends up being a lot. I think last year I had about $200-300 set aside before con, and ended up withdrawing about $40, in addition to the $50 that I got from one of the group members (I was the organizer for a group, so was collecting payment for some people's badges at-con)

How much you spend will depend entirely on how impulsive a buyer you are, how much will-power you have when you see something you want, and how willing you are to risk that it'll be there the last day if it goes on sale. Also, on what kind of merchandise you like. Little phone charms and figurines are usually $10-20, figures can cost anywhere from $30-130, posters, pencil boards, etc. I'd recommend somewhere between $150 and $300. I know that my best buys have always been figures and posters, and sometimes those rare DVDs or box sets. I'm a sucker for little things, because I can have a lot of them and not have it clutter my room and piss off my roommates. I'm also a sucker for grab bags, so I end up with a lot of random stuff (hello swap meet! ^+^)
2009 cosplays:
ahaha, so undecided
Chibitalia, Yanki!Souji, TYL!Irie Shouichi, Jack Bezarius, and Cool Lady!Tear Grants are most likely though

RyuHayabusa

I spent close to $500 last year. sold some stuff at the swap meet, and that's where i get most of my funds for the con. This year, tax rebate, so that should help. I'll still do the swap meet though. :3
My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC

Jun-Watarase

I spend roughly $300 to $500 on average including hotel fees and food each FanimeCon, and possibly more at AX. I'm trying to lower that number, though. It's just exciting when I see something I can physically buy without paying shipping and waiting for it to arrive if I purchase online, and something else might catch my attention and I'll end up buying that too. I am a compulsive shopper, but now that I've been forced to learn how to budget under certain circumstances, it probably won't be too much of a problem anymore. 8D

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Krnchichiri

I brought $200 and spent about $125... that was excluding food ( I only ate like, three times. =.=;; NOT A GOOD IDEA, by the way) and excluding room (though I only spent $75 together on 3 nights. But mommy paid for that :3) I didn't buy much at all, but the things I did buy was expensive.... though I forget what...
I don't remember much of Fanime, it was too fun and I was too sleep deprived/food deprived. =.=;
I'm bringing $300 this time. Maybe I'll actually buy things I'll use/keep. And eat. GOSH did I need food. Maybe I'll bring some...
Elizabeth [Chiri]
Registration Staff, 2007
Registration Staff, 2008

I AM AWESOME! :D

heeroyuy135

I'm projected to spend $750 @ Fanime this year...that includes reg, hotel, food, spending money, and some other costs

G.I.R

This year, zero.  :'(   
But with a room, food, and what I've spent on goodies in previous years, usually about $500-$650 (depending on what I got from dealers and the swap-meet).  I guess it really depends on how much you buy, if you're sharing a room / transportation, and if you can find other ways to save money.

AbsolutelyCursed

Right now, planning around $300-400 to spend in dealers room (mostly on figurines). Maybe a little more for food at restaurants outside the convention center but for the most part I'm bringing my own food.

Runewitt

not including my room cause i didnt have a room mate, i spent about 300 combined on food, dealers room, swap meet and artist alley.
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.

astroboy

I didn't buy anything in the dealers room last year. Fanime to me is more of a place to hang out with friends then go shopping.

astroboy's expenses:
1) hotel with 3 roommates for 3 nights
2) gas
3) badge - free (I'm staff)  ;D
4) going out to eat:
a Vietnamese noodle soup
b Hydration - bento box+bubble tea
c Pizza my heart
d Lee's sandwiches
5) cosplay outfit

I have this theory that cosplayer's don't really spend much on anime merchandise, if you know what I mean. *wink*

phoenixphire24

If you want a general idea, check out this thread with a basic break down of expenses. Of course, depending on travel costs and what in particular you want to buy, you'll have to add/subtract as necessary.

http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,8446.0.html

FanFicGuru

I will be spending ~$1000 not including room/food.

It's about how much I brought and spent last year...and is sufficient to purchase almost anything and everything I want over the 4 days of the con.

W00t...fanime.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Trumby

Well I've already spent $280 on the reg and plane tickets..plus $200-300-ish for whatever else.
Fanime cosplays (if I can make it..!)
Snowtrooper (Star Wars)
Greed (FMA)
Random pirate
Kurosaki Isshin (working on it now)

zemric

i spent almost 2k last year and went broke. i dont recomend that to anyone at all. but i think i will cut it down to 600-800 if i can get that together. woot for having b-day 2 weeks b4 the con. *dances*
2007 attendee
2008 egaming
2009 stage zero
2010 pc gaming "head"