Spice and Wolf

Started by Chun, February 19, 2008, 05:19:56 AM

Chun

No thread, thus I bring one.

The series is pretty relaxing but also quite intense in an old-world Emma sort of way. Just hearing all the trade talk, the workings of the grapevine in trade, and all the excess bartering know-how is just music to my ears; it's so effectively enticing. It doesn't hurt either that Horo is an absolutely amazing character, and every time Lawrence starts explaining the economic effects of each action, the whole "Lelouch" badass vibe comes from his male seiyuu.

So what are your current thoughts?

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

mDuo13

He's not Lelouch. He's Zero. The difference is important.

Also, I have a hard time following the economics and politics involved in this series. Maybe the BSS subs are just not very good at phrasing things.

Also, I get the impression that the setting isn't nearly as strictly historical as Emma's. It's roughly based on Medieval Europe, yes, but there's not nearly as much research that has been done, it seems. Or at least, they fudge a lot more stuff.

I think most people can agree that Firefox-tan Horo is a great character. But I also think Chloe is interesting.

I really like the music, though. The opening (obviously) is wonderful. But the various string pieces used in the action scenes are actually really interesting and atmospheric, so I appreciate them lots. And the ending theme is, well, lol.

xxxplizit (pogi1kenobi)

Spice and Wolf = my top pick for this season's anime.

Horo = amazing character.  What not to like about a cute female human/fox with an awesome personality?

The storyline is very awesome and isn't typically cookie-cutter either.  Hearing the story about Medieval Europe and involving a lot of aspects about bartering makes me want to watch and know more of the series from start to finish.

More to come.  So far, a must-watch.
eGaming Head / FanimeCon, SacAnime, Y-Con, Kintoki-Con, Deceptikon
Tournament Director / AOD
Anime + Gaming Article Lead / GreenTeaGraffiti
Cosplays: Wii Remote, Pink DS Lite

mDuo13

=/

Episode 07 is a DVD-only episode. So the broadcast series skips from 6 straight to 8.

I don't like that. Can't we just have bonus parts labeled as bonus episodes with a note on when they take place? Or label them as "Episode 6.5" or something?

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: mDuo13 on February 24, 2008, 03:53:20 PM
=/

Episode 07 is a DVD-only episode. So the broadcast series skips from 6 straight to 8.

I don't like that. Can't we just have bonus parts labeled as bonus episodes with a note on when they take place? Or label them as "Episode 6.5" or something?

Ah, that was pretty confusing. I hadn't caught up, but Mikey was keeping the episodes for me and we noticed that episode 7 wasn't there. How'd you find out it was a DVD exclusive?

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Sunara Ishi

I know the sub groups found out somehow. Dunno how. I suspect either Japanese blogs or some sort of article in a magazine...
Unless its mentioned in the 8th episode itself...
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

mDuo13

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on February 24, 2008, 03:56:41 PM
Quote from: mDuo13 on February 24, 2008, 03:53:20 PM
=/

Ah, that was pretty confusing. I hadn't caught up, but Mikey was keeping the episodes for me and we noticed that episode 7 wasn't there. How'd you find out it was a DVD exclusive?
From the subbers.

edendreams

I wasn't sure of this series at first but i forced myself to watch the first episode and well I fell in love with it. I love the story and it's getting very good. I can kind of see how things are going to develop and it shows a lot of promise for a compelling ending. I just hope it get more action because i like the way it's going.

a little art by me ^-^

Sunara Ishi

Omg... the latest episode. O.O; ~panics~
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

mDuo13

Well, it's over. Not a bad ending, but it only resolves the current story arc. Makes me wish I could read the light novels. Ah well, I can still look forward to Ep 7 coming out, and apparently there's a DS dating/trading sim coming out in June. (Do want.)

Listening to the OST makes me happy, though.

Nyxyin

I love it!  I think this and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei have outdone every anime I've seen in the last three years.

Leishu

It was simply a generally nice series. Not heavy in violence or fanservice or romance or really... anything, except economics. It was just a pleasant show to watch and hear. :D

I doubt that we will see a season 2, but I loved it anyway. :D
Kabe ni kono Nyuuji wo tsukete mite kudasai.

AnimeEmperor

I enjoyed it, I wish it was longer....

Horo may be my most beloved anime girl now.