Catch the Barrel-Catch that Prize (Updated)

Started by MidnightRosebud, February 21, 2008, 10:14:53 AM

MidnightRosebud

[[EDIT: Added June 4th, 2008 ---> Link to 2009 game; it's an entirely different scale. Come check out the fun!! Link: Calling All Cosplayers_FanimeCon 2009: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,10013.msg255958.html#msg255958]]

Hey Hi there Fanime Con 2008 attendees!  :-*
My friends and I are officially getting this game started at Fanime 2008.  ;)
The game is called, "Catch the Barrel," and the rules are as following:

Catch the Barrel is a simple competition game that will last all day Saturday. The game will start at 9am and conclude by 4pm, where upon the prizes will be given out in short order. We decided to end things a little bit earlier than originally planned so as not to interfere with the Masquerade/Cosplay show that starts at 6:30pm. Especially as the participants have to be there by 5pm, and anyone wanting to watch will want to get there early (seats go quickly!).

The Naruto version of the rules looks like this:

CATCH THE BARREL: This is an A-rank mission! Somewhere in this convention hall someone has The Scroll Barrel, a yellow prop barrel with a green strap and a flag that reads "Catch The Barrel". Your mission: retrieve The Barrel, keep it as long as possible, and deliver it to the center divide between the two Main Staircases, First Floor in the Convention Center at 4pm.

How to play: When you find the ninja who has The Barrel you may Challenge him/her to one game of Rock/Paper/Scissors. The winner keeps the barrel (ties play a tiebreaker match), and carries it until it is taken by another ninja. After you lose a Challenge, you must wait 10 minutes for your Chakra to recover before you may Challenge again. When you first get The Barrel, write your name on the outside (badge name and cosplay character name). After that, whenever you win a Challenge, put a tally mark next to your name. When The Barrel is delivered to the finale, prizes will be given to the ninjas with the most tally marks by their names, and a "delivery prize" to the ninja who brings it in.

You must carry The Barrel so that it, and its flag, is easily visible. You may not conceal or disguise The Barrel in any way, with one exception: starting one hour before the finale you may disguise The Barrel however you like (short of damaging or altering it) to help you get past the hordes of ninjas around the End Game/Final Meeting Spot. The first ninja to get The Barrel within line-of-sight of the Proctors officially wins the "delivery prize" – you may not challenge for The Barrel after that.

DO NOT wrestle, play-fight, run, chase each other or cause a disturbance in the convention. DO NOT Challenge other ninjas inside showings, panels or other events. KEEP THE BARREL IN THE HALLS: if you want to attend a showing or panel or leave the convention for a while, give The Barrel to another ninja before you do. If you have trouble getting rid of The Barrel, or don't want to keep it please leave at the Collection Site to be picked up by an eager player. DO NOT OPEN THE BARREL or something very bad will happen to you. DO NOT CHEAT! DO NOT take The Barrel away and hide it, Do Not pass it back and forth among a small team of friends without letting anyone else have a turn.

The Bleach version of the rules will appear as so:

CATCH THE BOX: The Fate of Karakura Town is in your hands! Somewhere in this convention hall someone has The Hougyoku Box, a blue prop box with a black strap, and a flag that reads "Catch The Hougyoku Box". Your mission: retrieve The Box, keep it as long as possible, and deliver it to the center divide between the two Main Staircases, First Floor in the Convention Center at 4pm.

How to play: When you find the Shinigami who has The Box you may Challenge him/her to one game of Rock/Paper/Scissors. The winner keeps The Box (ties play a tiebreaker match), and carries it until it is taken by another Shinigami. After you lose a Challenge, you must wait 10 minutes for your Reiki to recover before you may challenge again. When you first get The Box, write you name on the outside (badge name and Cosplay character name). After that, whenever you win a Challenge, put a tally mark next to your name. When The Box is delivered to the finale, prizes will be given to the Shinigami's with the most tally marks by their names, and a "delivery prize" to the Shinigami who brings it in.

You must carry The Box so that it, and its flag, is easily visible. You may not conceal or disguise The Box in any way, with one exception: starting one hour before the finale you may disguise the box however you like (short of damaging or altering it) to help you get past the hordes of Shinigami around the End Game/Final Meeting Spot. The first Shinigami to get the box within line-of-sight of the Proctors officially wins the "delivery prize" –you may not challenge for the barrel after that.

DO NOT wrestle, play-fight, run, chase each other or cause a disturbance in the convention. DO NOT Challenge other Shinigami inside showings, panels or other events. KEEP THE BOX IN THE HALLS: if you want to attend a showing or panel or leave the convention for a while, give The Box to another Shinigami before you do. If you have trouble getting rid of The Box, or don't want to keep it please leave it as the Collection Site to be picked up by another player. DO NOT OPEN THE BOX or something very bad will happen to you. DO NOT CHEAT! DO NOT take The Box away and hide it, DO NOT pass it back and forth among a small team of friends without letting anyone else have a turn.

My friends and I are playing a slight variant of this game with Ninja's versus Shinigami (Naruto vs Bleach). This was inspired during the Gathering's last year when Naruto clashed with Bleach over who was the best! The extra rules will look like this:

CATCH THAT PRIZE!
When you spot someone carrying your team's target (The Scroll Barrel for Ninjas, The Hougyoku Box for Shinigami) you may Challenge that person to one game of Rock/Paper/Scissors. When the targets are delivered to End Game, the single Ninja with the most tallies on The Barrel will receive the title of Fanime Con 2008 Hokage, and the Shinigami with the most tallies on The Hougyoku Box will be the Fanime Con 2008 Soul Society King!

NINJAS VS. SHINIGAMI! In addition to getting your own target, it's time to prove once and for all which are better, Ninjas or Shinigami. If you see a member of the opposing team carrying their target you may Challenge to take it. Don't bother to take it from members of your own side, only from the opposing team. When you take the opposing team's target from them, put a tally mark in the space marked for Opposing Team Captures. Don't write your name – this is a team effort. Keep the captured target, Box or Barrel, until a member of the opposing team defeats you at a Challenge and gets it back. If you see a member of the opposing team carrying your prize, Challenge them to retrieve it and defend your side's honor! At End Game we will see which team has more captures, and learn once and for all whether Ninjas or Shinigami reign at Fanime Con 2008!

So this is the plan as of right now, and any new information will be updated as soon as possible. Instructions for the game will be posted on The Barrel and The Box, and a poster that will be in the Gaming Room (Exhibition Hall 2).  ;D

Sounds like fun, yes? :D
Catch the Barrel/Prize: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,10013.msg255958.html#msg255958

Cosplay 2010
~Bleach: Yadomaru Lisa
~Soul Eater: Gorgon Medusa
~Naruto (Shippuden): Hyuuga Hinata
~CardCaptor Sakura: Mirror Card
~Fairy Tail: Lucy

Kandybar

While it seems like it'd pretty fun, what about everyone from other series?  The way you've got it set up limits it to Naruto and/or Bleach cosplayers, and not everyone is interested in those series.  It might be better to leave it open, or make the teams more generic (i.e. video games vs anime, or something).

EDIT:  You know, it really wasn't necessary to post this everywhere.  That's just going to annoy people.

MidnightRosebud

The Official Barrel for Naruto
&
The Official Box for Bleach

(The latest photos. The only thing missing is the flag for the barrel, but that is on now ^_^)

Pictures taken by Fanime_lo-ve.  8)

The Box and Barrel are 100% finished. These are preview pictures so you are aware of what to search for in the Fanime halls.
Catch the Barrel/Prize: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,10013.msg255958.html#msg255958

Cosplay 2010

MidnightRosebud

Delivery Prize
&
Top Three Tally Mark's Prizes
Naruto & Bleach:

(Picture by Fanime_lo-ve  :))

Length of Time
Date: Saturday
Time: 9am to 4pm

Start: Gaming Room (Exhibition Hall 2)
Finish: First Floor, Front Lobby, the center divide between the two staircases.
Prize Gathering: Gaming Room (Exhibition Hall 2)

Cosplay 2010

fanime_lo-ve

I'm really excited about this idea! I will do my best to make this a fun and safe experience.   :o
(>*0*)>Cosplays for 2010:<(*3*<)
{Soul Eater}-Mira Nygus
{Naruto Shippuuden}-7th Tailed (Shichibi)
{Bleach}- (Pendulum Arc) Yoruichi
{Teen Titans}- Bumble Bee
{Left for Dead 2}- Rochelle

MidnightRosebud

Quote from: Kandybar on February 21, 2008, 12:49:20 PM
While it seems like it'd pretty fun, what about everyone from other series?  The way you've got it set up limits it to Naruto and/or Bleach cosplayers, and not everyone is interested in those series.  It might be better to leave it open, or make the teams more generic (i.e. video games vs anime, or something).

EDIT:  You know, it really wasn't necessary to post this everywhere.  That's just going to annoy people.
No worries, those are all gone now. Only this one remains.

Cosplay 2010

Narutotaku

Konychiwa Otaku elite and all sub-species of anime/manga fan(Genshiken),

I was wondering how many "Proctors"(or rule enforcers) there are going to be in place for Naruto-Style "Catch the Barrell" ???
"Time flys when your having fun"(unknown)
"Time blasts off like a NASA space shuttle when you cosplay at FanimeCon"(Narutotaku)
<"http://member.square-enix.com/na/"><"http://member.square-enix.com/na/data/signature/16916.gif">

fanime_lo-ve

Quote from: Narutotaku on February 24, 2008, 01:18:50 AM

I was wondering how many "Proctors"(or rule enforcers) there are going to be in place for Naruto-Style "Catch the Barrell" ???

well midnightrosebud might comment on this too, but there will be about 6 people that will be keepin an eye on the game and all(thats including midnightrosebud and myself too). well will also be participating as well, but were not really trying to win  as  much. Well will also be incostume.
{Soul Eater}-Mira Nygus

MidnightRosebud

Quote from: fanime_lo-ve on February 24, 2008, 07:24:46 AM
Quote from: Narutotaku on February 24, 2008, 01:18:50 AM

well midnightrosebud might comment on this too, but there will be about 6 people that will be keepin an eye on the game and all(thats including midnightrosebud and myself too). well will also be participating as well, but were not really trying to win  as  much. Well will also be incostume.
Fanime_lo-ve has it right. There will be...six of us keeping an eye on the game from the shadows (Fanime_lo-ve, myself, and four of our friends) for both the Naruto and Bleach sides. One of us will have the Barrel and one will have the Box just to kick start everything off. So keep a weather eye out!

Hint: Two of us will be cosplaying from Bleach, and three from Naruto, with one as a neutral party. Ganbari yo minna-san! (Good Luck Everyone). (^__^) (V)

Cosplay 2010

fanime_lo-ve

I hope more people comment about this idea.  :o
{Soul Eater}-Mira Nygus

ryuyasha

This looks hella fun, consider me a participant, lol

MidnightRosebud

Quote from: ryuyasha on March 03, 2008, 10:43:03 PM
This looks hella fun, consider me a participant, lol
Yay! \^.^/ Can't wait to see you there!

Cosplay 2010

Ska_Kitti

This is a good idea. Just make sure that no one runs. Liability, you know. ^_^
Cosplayer: 03-?
Fanime Staff: 04-?
~*~*~*~*~
Sorawarudesuka Cosplay

MidnightRosebud

Quote from: Ska_Kitti on March 08, 2008, 08:17:42 PM
This is a good idea. Just make sure that no one runs. Liability, you know. ^_^
We're really hoping the idea hits off well, and that a few people would like to really get into it. And yes, we do NOT want any running in the halls; the rules are posted on the Box and Barrel so everything is clearly labled. ^.^V

Cosplay 2010

fanime_lo-ve

{Soul Eater}-Mira Nygus

SweetNiar

This does sound a lot of fun! ^_^  I might join in if i see it roaming around after i come from the Bleach Gathering craziness :D

MidnightRosebud

Quote from: SweetNiar on April 14, 2008, 10:25:18 PM
This does sound a lot of fun! ^_^  I might join in if i see it roaming around after i come from the Bleach Gathering craziness :D
Really? >.<

Yay! \^.^/

Cosplay 2010

fanime_lo-ve

This will be a great experience for eveyone, so I hope you will participate in this game too. =3
{Soul Eater}-Mira Nygus

fanime_lo-ve

Quote from: MidnightRosebud on April 15, 2008, 08:01:38 AM
Really? >.<

Yay! \^.^/

I bet you're really excited now, huh? we only have less to a month until Fanime is here now. =3
{Soul Eater}-Mira Nygus

MidnightRosebud

Quote from: fanime_lo-ve on April 24, 2008, 07:21:41 AM
Quote from: MidnightRosebud on April 15, 2008, 08:01:38 AM
Really? >.<

Yay! \^.^/

I bet you're really excited now, huh? we only have less to a month until Fanime is here now. =3

HECK YES!!!!
Twenty-Nine more days!
^o^ W00t!!!

Cosplay 2010