First Timer Cosplayer

Started by tasan84, February 21, 2008, 12:46:07 PM

tasan84

After talking with my friends, they are encouraging me to cosplay at Fanime this year. I'm a little nervous. ^^; So, I'm going to go for it to have some fun awhile selling my artwork.

I'm planning on cosplaying as Retsu Unohana from Bleach. If everything goes well, I'm planning on getting the costume at MoonCostumes.com since I have no sewing skills except for hemming. Here's the direct link on the costume. I've checked them out on the BBB.org, on and they're in the reliability program. If anyone has ordered from this site before, were there any problems?

I'm also looking for long black wig, and I was wondering if you guys know any good places on where to I find one at a good price. One of my friends suggested CosplayWigs.com.

Fiill free to give me any tips or suggestions for a first-timer. XD

Krnchichiri

I would personally say to avoid Mooncostumes.com. Their materials aren't very accurate sometimes and they're not great quality wise, though I'm not sure about their bleach costumes. ( I have a thing against Mooncostumes. I don't know why. ) But check out the below (Because ebay is my friend, and can be yours too!):

Come-On cosplay makes it with all the things moonCostumes does, as well as make it custom sized with no added charge. :3 And it's about the same price as mooncostumes including shipping and handling.
Pop First is cheaper, but it doesn't come with accessories. :3 And it can also be made custom without any extra charge. (Although you might want to ask if they can make the number 4, not 10 on the coat.)

Have fun cosplaying. :3 And if you strut it with confidence, then you'll look better than the others. ^^
Elizabeth [Chiri]
Registration Staff, 2007
Registration Staff, 2008

I AM AWESOME! :D

MidnightRosebud

I do not really have any suggestions on where to buy cosplay costumes, because I have made all of mine, or bought random pieces at different places.
Also, this may not be applicable to a Bleach costume, but for any other outfits check at places like GoodWill or the Salvation Army. You can ususally modify some of their REALLY cheap clothes to fit your own needs.
I have bought my wigs at Halloween at places like Target, Raleys, and The Spirit of Halloween. Now that I think about it, The Spirit of Halloween store may have a website. It would be worth checking it out.
Good luck with Cosplaying! It is an incredible amount of fun, and try to be patient with those who want to take a photo of you. ^_^
Good Luck and Have Fun with it! =D
Catch the Barrel/Prize: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,10013.msg255958.html#msg255958

Cosplay 2010
~Bleach: Yadomaru Lisa
~Soul Eater: Gorgon Medusa
~Naruto (Shippuden): Hyuuga Hinata
~CardCaptor Sakura: Mirror Card
~Fairy Tail: Lucy

Yukari Kaiba

as far as wigs go, cosworx.com and amphigory.com are your best bets. they're reasonably priced and are of excellent quality and ship pretty fast too.
FANIME '14 COSPLAY
-Gundam Tanaka (Super Dangan Ronpa 2)
-Tetra (Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker)
-Levi (Attack On Titan)
-Wanderer (Journey)

BrightHeart76

I  have to agree with Yukari Kaiba amphigory.com is great!  I've always use them in the past and I have never been disappointed.

I don't know what you'll find on e-bay, but I also have a problem with MoonCostumes.  They're really not top quality.  I do my commisions thru qqcosplay.  I've had really good luck with them.  I do know people who complain that they don't communicate well, and a friend of mine isn't as happy with her final piece as I was.  But they are worth looking at and the do have a wide selection of Bleach cosplays.

I wish you good luck!  Look forward to seeing your cosplay at the con!
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Mister_E

Man I remember my first time, I was Tetsuo Shima from Akria, and EVERYONE THOUGHT I WAS VINCENT FROM FFVII, DO YOU SEE A GUN, I DON'T!!!

<.< >.> Uhhhh...  But that was a long time ago
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

tasan84

Thank you so much! ^_^ I'm going to try to order my costume from Come On Cosplay. I asked some questions regarding to payment and adding longer sleeves since the photo shows the haori coat sleeveless.

For the wig, I saw one cheap at Ebay for about $20. The seller has positive feedback. :)

As for her zanpakto, one of my friends is going to give me some information on making a prop sword cheap rather than buying one. I might be lurking around the forums about making it as well.

I can hardly wait! ^_^ I'm so hoping that this goes well.