Horror Movies

Started by JohnnyAR, February 23, 2008, 12:50:36 AM

JohnnyAR

Just a thread about Horror movies and such obviously. Just talk about horror movies that you've seen, movies that scared you, movies that you absolutely adore, or an good ideas that you have for Horror stuff.

I don't know if there are already any other threads with similar topics so if there is then I had no idea there was.

This has always been a problem with me, I have never seen a scary movie that can scare the sh*t out of me. I've never seen a movie thats scary enough for me. I don't mean when you're too scared to sleep after watching it. I mean like when you're watching the movie and during a scene something just jumps out and scares you enough to give you a heart attack, a movie like that.

Does anyone know any really really scary movies out there?

[EDIT]

We'll also disscus about those times we gave ourselves a laugh by scaring our friends and loved ones .

Barnes

EDIT: Darn.
Anyway, only two or three flicks have ever actually scared me.
Alien (1979), The Shinning (1980) and Rosemary's Baby (196?).
Don't know what you think of those, but oh well.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

JohnnyAR

Quote from: Barnes on February 23, 2008, 12:53:29 AM
EDIT: Darn.
Anyway, only two or three flicks have ever actually scared me.
Alien (1979), The Shinning (1980) and Rosemary's Baby (196?).
Don't know what you think of those, but oh well.

Alien is cool, actually I know someone who is scared of that movie and has gotten nightmares from it.

I've never seen the entire movie, just the last few minutes of the movie (a few minutes before the killer peeks through the door and says "Here's Johnny!")

I've never seen Rosemary's Baby, but I have heard of it before, what's it about? Setting aside the obvious details out of the way

Kyley

Quote from: JohnnyAR on February 23, 2008, 12:50:36 AM

This has always been a problem with me, I have never seen a scary movie that can scare the sh*t out of me. I've never seen a movie thats scary enough for me. I don't mean when you're too scared to sleep after watching it. I mean like when you're watching the movie and during a scene something just jumps out and scares you enough to give you a heart attack, a movie like that.

OMG you and I are like kindred spirits.  lol
I'm the same way, I've been watching horror movies since I was like 5 and now it's like I'm desensitized.  Nothing scares me anymore.  I'm constantly going to horror flicks looking to get scared, but it always fails.  :(

edendreams

How is rosemary's baby scary? i did watch it but i didn't see how it's considered a scary movie. but then i felt the same about the omen.

I like Japanese horror movies but the only movie that ever scared me was St Fransciville Experiment. I was a documentary that goes inside an old plantation home. But the thing is it's done too real! I watched it one time with some friends and one guy jumped over the back of the futon because he got freaked. Not everyone gets scared when they watch it but it's pretty good for realism. (btw i think i have it somewhere if you want to borrow sometime)

((edit: lol K-chan probably knows what i'm talking about haha we think alike :P))

I pretty much enjoy ghost stories I despise slasher flicks with passion because they're not... scary, just gross. But i would love to see a truely scary movie. the kind you would have nightmares about.

parts of clover field did scare me like the tunnel scene *shudders*

y'know i went to that Scare fair thing in fremont back in october... i walked around the whole thing and no one ever got me.. :( i was bummed out my sister and mom were freaked but no one jumped out at me. (i think because i was always first and i could see where they were all hiding.)

a little art by me ^-^

Golden State Warrior

I seen Alien when I was a little kid. Those chest poppers scarred me mentally.

Can't think of any really scary movies, though. Maybe Ju-On?

JohnnyAR

Quote from: Kyley on February 23, 2008, 12:44:45 PM
OMG you and I are like kindred spirits.  lol
I'm the same way, I've been watching horror movies since I was like 5 and now it's like I'm desensitized.  Nothing scares me anymore.  I'm constantly going to horror flicks looking to get scared, but it always fails.  :(

I don't even bother going to see a scary movie most of the times because I know that it won't be scary.

Quote from: edendreams on February 23, 2008, 12:53:39 PM
I pretty much enjoy ghost stories I despise slasher flicks with passion because they're not... scary, just gross. But i would love to see a truely scary movie. the kind you would have nightmares about.

Slasher films are awsome! They put a smile on my face and I always have a good chuckle

I don't know about ghost stories, because people are always killed by them in the movies, which is dumb because ghosts can't hurt you (they're transparent) but they can hurt you spiritually and emotionally if they're possesed by an evil spirit from hell. I know a lot on ghosts and all that supernatural stuff, thats why I don't have any high expectations for ghost movies.

Quote from: edendreams on February 23, 2008, 12:53:39 PM
How is rosemary's baby scary? i did watch it but i didn't see how it's considered a scary movie. but then i felt the same about the omen.

I like Japanese horror movies but the only movie that ever scared me was St Fransciville Experiment. I was a documentary that goes inside an old plantation home. But the thing is it's done too real! I watched it one time with some friends and one guy jumped over the back of the futon because he got freaked. Not everyone gets scared when they watch it but it's pretty good for realism. (btw i think i have it somewhere if you want to borrow sometime)

((edit: lol K-chan probably knows what i'm talking about haha we think alike :P))

y'know i went to that Scare fair thing in fremont back in october... i walked around the whole thing and no one ever got me.. :( i was bummed out my sister and mom were freaked but no one jumped out at me. (i think because i was always first and i could see where they were all hiding.)

I went to a cornfield maze and they did a poor job at trying to be scary, the people dressing up as Jason and the lady from the Grudge barley put any effort in trying to scare anybody. The Grudge just followed some one around for a few seconds and the Jason guy was just walked out throught the entrance as soon as I passed him. I did a better job at scaring...

VictimX

For me by todays standard there arn't many scary movies I think its becuase of all the CGI, they need to go back to the basic originals like Misery, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Freaks, Phantasm, The Re-Animator, Deliverance and Nosferatu (my favorite) as the list could go on it is these that come to mind. Movies didn't have all this amazing effects but they still made us jump or cring, a movie does not have to scare you outright because if a movie can make you paranoid its done its job just like Jaws made people affaid of the water. In the end its like Kyley had said being most people are desensitized to many of the things we see in life and in the movies so it takes so much more so scare us or to get any type of reaction from the audience they try to entertain.

Barnes

QuoteHow is rosemary's baby scary? i did watch it but i didn't see how it's considered a scary movie.

Something about the tension and build-up. I'll get back to you on that.
Deliverance: Hell yes. Imagine yourself in a forest environment that you do not understand, getting owned by a river, and being forced to strip your clothes and squeal like a piggy by hillbillies. That is pretty scary.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

Runewitt

i love horror movies, they dont scare me, they just ecite me.

some of my favorites are Amityville Horror, Night of the Living Dead (classic zombie fun), and some i've forgotten the titles of.

the last time i was actually freaked out by a movie was Signs, because my brother had just put a new surround sound system in his room, and i didnt know i was right infront of one of the speakers, until the dog barked and i jumped abot a foot straight into the air.

(only because i once had a large dog lift me by my back end and swing me around for ten minutes.)
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.

KawaiiAngel

I'm a scardy cat  :'( 
My favorite movie is The Ring, though.
I'm not down for slasher horror, but the creepy stuff I like