What's Banned at FanimeCon and what's not banned...

Started by PassingTheBuck, February 24, 2008, 10:31:12 AM

Akito Starwind

Quote from: PassingTheBuck on February 25, 2008, 12:29:17 AM
QuoteI'm doing my part. What are you doing?

Oh yeah, nice side shot about me not getting out while at the con, that was actually funny.  I'm sure ConOps found it funny too, but you wouldn't understand our inside joke on that one either.

Craige...
how many miles you put on those tires? you go though like 3 sets for the Con right?

:: sits with two others on lawn chairs now watching anime on projector i brought::
Dealers Room Staff 2004
Dealers Room Staff 2005
Dealers Room Staff 2006
Dealers Room Staff 2007
Dealers Room Staff 2008

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: Akito Starwind on February 25, 2008, 07:28:51 AM

Oh yeah, nice side shot about me not getting out while at the con, that was actually funny.  I'm sure ConOps found it funny too, but you wouldn't understand our inside joke on that one either.

Craige...
how many miles you put on those tires? you go though like 3 sets for the Con right?

:: sits with two others on lawn chairs now watching anime on projector i brought::

A mod JUST said before your post to not fill the thread with meaningless jargon. Please.

Getting involved with the conference while you are still standing at the side lines shouting at the parade as it goes by you.

You want everyone else to hear you, hence the reason you bring up the topic on the forum, however this is a limited platform for exchanging your opinion with others.  You did state that you wanted 'these people' to become more semi-realistic and have basic social skills, than step up and do something about it.  Offer to Programming that you will host a panel on it.  Offer to work for Security/Rovers.  Offer to work a web page on Glomping and Signage guidelines.  Offer to ConOps that would do a training session on-the-floor for everyone at the event.  You want to change this people, than you need to do it, but continually posting threads about your dislike and hatred of their activities isn't going far enough, because it's still happening.

Stop whining about it on this very limited forum and get out into the event itself and have a wider impact on this very important issue for you.

Craige...

The reason why it wasn't brought up was because we were told it was already banned. But he's doing his part as a person that attends FanimeCon and is concerned by its issues. He posts on the forum, expressed his opinion, had others listen to it, and even got your attention. Just because a con-attendee wants a problem amongst other con-attendees solved, doesn't mean he necessarily wants to join staff; when you go to an event to have fun, and there's an issue with the people disrespecting each other while going... doesn't mean they'd join in to manage the event they went to have fun at.

Do you even care, or are you just posting this for the sake of disagreeing? You had easy access to bringing up the subject to others. It isn't complicated to let staff know that glomping has become an issue, and simply promoting respect for other people's safety would be a good improvement. It also isn't difficult to mention, "Oh yeah, confiscate inappropriate signs from people" and confiscate the signs that are obviously inappropriate, ie, not for all ages. I don't know how difficult it is to add the announcements to the PA once in a while, and having them up on screen, or adding them into pamphlets would be... but they seem simple enough. There's no need to host a panel on it and waste time since... why would anyone go to a panel about glomping? Not only that, but it wouldn't do much progress as it's a panel... during the convention itself. As for security/rovers, the two listed suggestions up there aren't much of a stretch. And last... that just wouldn't work. Even in doing all that, of course it would still happen, but at least there'd be improvement. None of these are big changes on staff duties, but they'd make a difference.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

PassingTheBuck

The reason why it wasn't brought up was because we were told it was already banned. But he's doing his part as a person that attends FanimeCon and is concerned by its issues. He posts on the forum, expressed his opinion, had others listen to it, and even got your attention. Just because a con-attendee wants a problem amongst other con-attendees solved, doesn't mean he necessarily wants to join staff; when you go to an event to have fun, and there's an issue with the people disrespecting each other while going... doesn't mean they'd join in to manage the event they went to have fun at.

Do you even care, or are you just posting this for the sake of disagreeing? You had easy access to bringing up the subject to others. It isn't complicated to let staff know that glomping has become an issue, and simply promoting respect for other people's safety would be a good improvement. It also isn't difficult to mention, "Oh yeah, confiscate inappropriate signs from people" and confiscate the signs that are obviously inappropriate, ie, not for all ages. I don't know how difficult it is to add the announcements to the PA once in a while, and having them up on screen, or adding them into pamphlets would be... but they seem simple enough. There's no need to host a panel on it and waste time since... why would anyone go to a panel about glomping? Not only that, but it wouldn't do much progress as it's a panel... during the convention itself. As for security/rovers, the two listed suggestions up there aren't much of a stretch. And last... that just wouldn't work. Even in doing all that, of course it would still happen, but at least there'd be improvement. None of these are big changes on staff duties, but they'd make a difference.

Interesting, do I care? Yeah, actually I do or otherwise I wouldn't have taken the time to reply.

You want someone else to clean up the mess, but those who are the most vocal about it aren't willing to directly help out, but you will be the most critical of whatever action the Fanime takes to resolve the issue that they have pointed out. 

Stop sitting on the side lines and get in there and help out.  If, as you say, you are someone who wants to see this to end, than stop whining about it and take a proactive stance, join the staff and make a difference.

Glomping is not an issue for everyone, but for a select few on both sides of the coin.  In fact you have given me the idea for a new thread... Thanks...

You made a few suggestions that frankly I've heard before:

You want Rovers/Safety to make the judgment calls on what should be allowed, and I'm speaking of the grey area, not the over the line stuff, and I agree that needs to be removed, but as you have pointed out, we have a very limited staff to do it, which is, as I have pointed out very tough to do in the most normal of times without your help.  However you are expecting the ban to be effect, why? Because everyone will follow it, not unless you are willing to step up and join the staff and help out.

The only Public Address system is in the Exhibit Halls that we use.

You want Fanime to do the dirty work of making the judgment calls on what attendees will be allowed to do, legally we are speaking about here, which means that we need additional staff for those policies of enforcement and since you are so vocally about it, you need to join the staff and help us out.

Craige...

Craige Howlett
Finance Director
FanimeCon/Clockwork
2003-2016

PyronIkari

Getting involved with the conference while you are still standing at the side lines shouting at the parade as it goes by you.

You want everyone else to hear you, hence the reason you bring up the topic on the forum, however this is a limited platform for exchanging your opinion with others.  You did state that you wanted 'these people' to become more semi-realistic and have basic social skills, than step up and do something about it.  Offer to Programming that you will host a panel on it.  Offer to work for Security/Rovers.  Offer to work a web page on Glomping and Signage guidelines.  Offer to ConOps that would do a training session on-the-floor for everyone at the event.  You want to change this people, than you need to do it, but continually posting threads about your dislike and hatred of their activities isn't going far enough, because it's still happening.

Stop whining about it on this very limited forum and get out into the event itself and have a wider impact on this very important issue for you.

Craige...
Last I checked, I had the panel with the largest attendance at Fanime. Do you think I didn't bring it up, and don't plan to bring it up again this year?

Actually, I would understand the inside joke, unless you guys have multiple, but that's besides the point.

You make a lot of horrible assumptions, and act as if this is the only thing I'm doing. You're attacking me and what I'm doing, and you're trying to take the high road at the same time? Sorry, no, not gonna work like that. You staff, good for you. You do things behind the scenes, and you talk about things and do things through the con. I do things through the people, through panels, through forums... as an attendee. Besides, even if I followed your horrible advice of joining con-ops, I'd be upholding THE CON'S rules, not my opinion and thought about it. So wouldn't that be counter productive?

FanFicGuru

Quote from: PyronIkari on February 25, 2008, 09:49:10 PM

Craige...
Last I checked, I had the panel with the largest attendance at Fanime. Do you think I didn't bring it up, and don't plan to bring it up again this year?

Actually, I would understand the inside joke, unless you guys have multiple, but that's besides the point.

You make a lot of horrible assumptions, and act as if this is the only thing I'm doing. You're attacking me and what I'm doing, and you're trying to take the high road at the same time? Sorry, no, not gonna work like that. You staff, good for you. You do things behind the scenes, and you talk about things and do things through the con. I do things through the people, through panels, through forums... as an attendee. Besides, even if I followed your horrible advice of joining con-ops, I'd be upholding THE CON'S rules, not my opinion and thought about it. So wouldn't that be counter productive?

Or you could join Con-ops and use those awesome persuasive skills to convince them why your opinions and thoughts on the situation make sense. Maybe...
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Nyxyin

I didn't read the other thread, so forgive me if this was covered there, but...

I'm pretty sure I've read some rules in the program guide or some flyer in earlier years stating that solicitation is bad, but it was in a small font.  I don't think most people bothered to read it.  I remember there being a lot of rules and suggestions on the page (like asking cosplayers before taking pictures and waiting for autographing sessions to ask guests for their autographs), and while the rules are all just common courtesy, courtesy tends to not be common among otaku, and I think it's a bit hard for most people to remember them all.

I disagree with the suggestion that people join staff if they have a beef with glompers and sign-bearers.  From where I'm sitting, it sounds like it's just begging for staff members who are most likely to abuse their authority.  I also agree that I wouldn't bother to attend a panel that was going to just lecture at me about common courtesy.  There should be too many other fun panels to attend.

However, flyering sounds like a good idea.  It looks like it would cost a regular person $300 to ask Fanime to stuff flyers into the registration bag?  http://www.fanime.com/professional/professional  If enough people here think that glomping and signage is a problem, maybe someone can write up an ad to raise awareness of personal space, social etiquette, and laws related to signs, and then take up a collection to raise the $300 to pay for getting the ad stuffed into the registration bags?  Or $100 for a 1/8 page ad in the program guide (although I don't think 1/8 page is enough space to address the issue).  If it's written up and paid for as an ad, Fanime won't have to worry about costs or enforcement, right...?

I don't think it's practical or warranted for Fanime to try to enforce rules against signs and glomping beyond what the legal system requires.  (I believe that people with signs advertising the exchange of goods and services are required to at least have a seller's permit, and some signs might violate panhandling and solicitation laws.)  I think it'd be nice if Fanime did things to help raise awareness of the problem (like adding the information to those cute public service "please shower" cartoons in the program guides and on the TV monitors), but making such things into enforced rules beyond what the law requires strikes me as going too far.

PyronIkari

Quote from: FanFicGuru on February 26, 2008, 12:34:47 AM
Or you could join Con-ops and use those awesome persuasive skills to convince them why your opinions and thoughts on the situation make sense. Maybe...

That wouldn't mean anything. If I joined con-ops I'd have a low position that basically sits at a desk and does whatever my higher up tells me to do. Chain of power, one that I don't want to fight through to get an opinion that matters. I'll make my opinion through another way.

Here's the thing. The ACML agrees with me(for those that don't know what that is, the ACML is the major mailing list where all the US cons and chairs and higher ups talk to each other and comment/discuss the state of conventions, ideas, problems, and so forth). Craige is on the side of "it's not an issue" but the majority of them have all spoken up against sign carriers and glompers. There's a fe that disagree, alongside Craige, but the majority all see it as a problem. This is why so many conventions HAVE banned signs, and are putting up stricter rules on glomping and what not.

phoenixphire24

Quote from: PyronIkari on February 26, 2008, 08:14:34 AM
Quote from: FanFicGuru on February 26, 2008, 12:34:47 AM

That wouldn't mean anything. If I joined con-ops I'd have a low position that basically sits at a desk and does whatever my higher up tells me to do. Chain of power, one that I don't want to fight through to get an opinion that matters. I'll make my opinion through another way.

Here's the thing. The ACML agrees with me(for those that don't know what that is, the ACML is the major mailing list where all the US cons and chairs and higher ups talk to each other and comment/discuss the state of conventions, ideas, problems, and so forth). Craige is on the side of "it's not an issue" but the majority of them have all spoken up against sign carriers and glompers. There's a fe that disagree, alongside Craige, but the majority all see it as a problem. This is why so many conventions HAVE banned signs, and are putting up stricter rules on glomping and what not.

Pyron- Just out of curiosity, do you know which cons have banned and/or set rules for glomping and signs and what these rules entail? I'm just wondering what may or may not be able to be adapted to Fanime.

Stormfalcon

I can point to Otakon being a very good example of this.

Actually, a better link: The actual policies page
My Cosplay Photography gallery, including FanimeCon 2001-2014:
http://stormfalcon.smugmug.com/CosplayPhotography

My DeviantArt Page:
http://stormfalcon.deviantart.com

phoenixphire24

Quote from: Stormfalcon on February 26, 2008, 08:47:45 AM
I can point to Otakon being a very good example of this.

Actually, a better link: The actual policies page

While I usually don't have a problem with the signs, I can see why they had to go to this policy. The problems seemed to be centered on the behavior of those carrying signs and the wide-spread use of "illegal" signs. I hope that Fanime goers can control themselves and not cause problems, but in the future, this sort of policy might have to be used simply because it's easier than trying to remove hundreds of signs or repremanding tons of people.

And I like their overall policy: If it's illegal outside the con, it's illegal inside the con

PassingTheBuck

If you have your panel, let me know the name, time and on which date and I'll be there, because I want to hear it.

I make no assumptions when it comes to you.

I'm not attacking you, I'm making a strong suggestion that you get more invovled in the inner workings of Fanime, instead of standing and pointing at the fire, I'm asking you to assist in putting it out. 

Now my advise is horrible and of course that's just your opinion, which is what I will take it for. 

You try and make the change from without and I'm doing my job from within.

Craige...
Craige Howlett
Finance Director
FanimeCon/Clockwork
2003-2016

PassingTheBuck

QuoteThat wouldn't mean anything. If I joined con-ops I'd have a low position that basically sits at a desk and does whatever my higher up tells me to do. Chain of power, one that I don't want to fight through to get an opinion that matters. I'll make my opinion through another way.

Chain of Power, what a concept!

The ACML group has as many way of handling it there are issues, including what you are proposing and what I'm proposing, so neither of us have the right solution for the other.

My, my, my, when did I ever say it wasn't a issue?  Of course it's a issue.  The question is how bad of an issue it is and how to handle it.

Your solution is to ban signs and enforce the 'no touch' rule.

Excellent ideas now make it work.  Oh yeah, that wasn't part of your solution was it, you want Fanime to figure that out and make it work, but your investment is to let everyone know there is a problem and Fanime needs to do something about it.

I've asked you to join the team to get it under control, instead you continue to whine about the problem and suggest a 'Brown Shirt' blanket solution.  Okay, we have all heard your suggestions. 

Okay, we've heard you, you're done. 

Since you don't want to be part of the physical solution, let those in the "Chain of Power" figure out where we are going to get the additional manpower to do it.  Because in case you have figure it out, let me help you, Rovers/Safety is stretch really, really thin and what you are proposing will bury them in additional duties and a much higher demand on their time and energy.  Don't worry yourself with the logistics of actually doing the work or getting all the moving parts to come together, you've done your job, you've pointed it out. Don't worry about the legal framework that would be necessary to change the policy, that's not your problem, you've point it out and told everyone on this forum about it.

You're concept of doing the job is pointing out the problem, as you see it.  You've done it and now the real work continues for those in the "Chain of Power".

Thanks...

Craige...
Craige Howlett
Finance Director
FanimeCon/Clockwork
2003-2016

Trumby

I haven't attended Fanime before so maybe this is just my lack of knowledge about the attendee base for this con, but the other cons I go to I don't see these kinds of problems, with signs or glomping. At least not as rampant as everyone here is making it out to be.

The sign thing is actually pretty easy to enforce selectively. All you have to do is ban signs soliciting a service (I.E. prostitution). "Will XXX for XXX" is such a sign. There is no gray area on that kind of sign, end of story.

I work "security" (we're called yojimbo since we can't actually call ourselves security) for Kumoricon and I've never seen problems with signs before. We have the above type of stuff banned. I've never seen those problems at Sakura-con, either. And that is a much bigger convention than Kumoricon.

As for the whole glomping thing, I am curious as to how big of a problem it really is. Maybe Kumoricon and Sakura-con are different, but I don't hear a lot about this sort of thing with those two cons. In fact I personally have only ever seen 1 person glomp someone unknowingly and that was myself who got glomped...by a friend.

And as for the whole thing about changing things..honestly I agree with Craige. If you actually want these problems fixed then you need to do more than just point out that they are problems and give solutions on how to fix them. Not just say "ban signs" and whatever else. Get involved in the workings of the con if you really want something changed. I'm not saying join staff, but volunteer, go to meetings, do what you can to get things changed instead of just pointing out the problems.
Fanime cosplays (if I can make it..!)
Snowtrooper (Star Wars)
Greed (FMA)
Random pirate
Kurosaki Isshin (working on it now)

dibbly

I've been to fanime or the past 4 years. every year i go i haven't actually seen a problem. this is the first time I've heard of a problem. an annoyance yes, but I've neither seen nor heard of anyone reporting a problem glomper (which they should do). prostitution signs are illegal in general and should be handled when it happens.  only once have i seen someone glomp and break a cosplayers costume. but she learned her lesson real quick. (the glompers reaction speed is AMAZING when they get a target. i didnt see her get up, i just heard her squeal)
only thing i can think to do to help the problem is report out of hand glompers.
im against banning signs i dont participate in the habit, but the sign (being legal) is their's to have and freedom to show.
sorry, no effective solution, but i'll do my part for the people, i love this con and i love it's people.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
meow.

Xeluu

Quote from: Trumby on February 26, 2008, 05:57:08 PM
I haven't attended Fanime before so maybe this is just my lack of knowledge about the attendee base for this con, but the other cons I go to I don't see these kinds of problems, with signs or glomping. At least not as rampant as everyone here is making it out to be.
As for the whole glomping thing, I am curious as to how big of a problem it really is. Maybe Kumoricon and Sakura-con are different, but I don't hear a lot about this sort of thing with those two cons. In fact I personally have only ever seen 1 person glomp someone unknowingly and that was myself who got glomped...by a friend.

And as for the whole thing about changing things..honestly I agree with Craige. If you actually want these problems fixed then you need to do more than just point out that they are problems and give solutions on how to fix them. Not just say "ban signs" and whatever else. Get involved in the workings of the con if you really want something changed. I'm not saying join staff, but volunteer, go to meetings, do what you can to get things changed instead of just pointing out the problems.
I think glomping didn't used to be as big of a problem, but I think last year there were a couple groups which were consistently glomping without permission. I would have reported them, had I known that would have helped to solve the problem. I found it out after the fact when I went to ConOps to tell them that it seemed to be a problem this year. I will be reporting glompers next year. Perhaps not right away, and perhaps I'll try and judge on whether or not they seemed genuinely sorry and didn't know about the common courtesy thing, but who knows.

The only real thing I have a problem with a few people saying here, is the basic idea of "If you think there's a problem, join staff to help fix it". My problem here is that I feel like I shouldn't have to join staff or rovers, or whoever, to enjoy the Con. I'm more than willing to help out at events I like. (Ex: The game show had issues with the computer, so I was the scoreboard. YaoiCon bingo my sister and I have helped with the line multiple times by holding signs and sitting where we were told to in order to help point people to the end of the line.) So, I guess my only issue is the fact that I shouldn't have to staff or volunteer to enjoy my time at the Convention.
2016 Cosplay Plans
Gomamon/Gabumon - Digimon
Jolteon Gijinka - Pokemon
Oogie Boogie - Nightmare Before Christmas

otakuya

You really don't have to be staff or volunteer to enjoy the con. And if there seems to be a problem, you also don't need to be staff to fix it. But it does help, and attending meetings and talking to authoritative figures (nicely, w/o arguing) is always the best way to go to bring up issues and possibly change something for the better ["greater good"].

If signs, glomping, or whatever is bothering you during the con, just let a rover or staff know so they can handle the situation properly. Don't let it get to you so much that you don't enjoy yourself during FanimeCon. Its a huge convention center and there's always something to do.

PyronIkari

Quote from: PassingTheBuck on February 26, 2008, 12:14:20 PM
Chain of Power, what a concept!
Chain of power is time consuming and based on politics, not action or thought. Something I don't want to deal with or invest in.

QuoteThe ACML group has as many way of handling it there are issues, including what you are proposing and what I'm proposing, so neither of us have the right solution for the other.
And the majority of them agree with what I'm saying, which is why a lot of the major cons are doing it. You're right, there's many ways, but most of them disagree with you, and agree with a plan that is similar to mine.

QuoteMy, my, my, when did I ever say it wasn't a issue?  Of course it's a issue.  The question is how bad of an issue it is and how to handle it.

Your solution is to ban signs and enforce the 'no touch' rule.
Uh, when did I say a "no touch" rule? Multiple times I have said that "you can't ban glomping and shouldn't" but it should be apparent that people shouldn't do it without permission. This is kind of one of those things though. "Don't groap random people". "Don't kiss strangers". These are all basically the same idea. You can things you can do with friends and stuff that know you and are comfortable with it, but things you shouldn't do to strangers, unless they give you permission. So it should be enforced the same way. Con people SHOULD let it be known that people aren't allowed to do so, through the usual methods. The site, at registration it should be on the thing they sign, and it should be in the program guide along with the rest of the general rules. If someone does it, they can get in trouble/removed from the con if they do so. Can we expect everyone to get caught? No... but if they are, or if someone is reported, it should be dealt with just like any other kind of problem.

What other solution is there? The two base ideas are "do nothing and let people do whatever they want" which causes problems, or "try to do something about it to prevent some of these problems". Base right? Something should be done.

What can be done? Allow people that don't care to be allowed to do it amongst themselves, they don't hurt anyone, so let's let them be. Now the ones that do mind, they should be able to report it if it happens to them. If so, the person that does it gets punished for doing something they shouldn't do. That's usually what happens when people do things that are illegal/hurt/affect other people in negative ways directly.

A glomper is commiting battery, there's no way around it that it's against the law and problematic. They shouldn't be allowed to do it unless the person allows them, therefore the convention should realistically hold a rule to make sure they know it's not allowed(even though basic logic should tell them that).

QuoteExcellent ideas now make it work.  Oh yeah, that wasn't part of your solution was it, you want Fanime to figure that out and make it work, but your investment is to let everyone know there is a problem and Fanime needs to do something about it.

I've asked you to join the team to get it under control, instead you continue to whine about the problem and suggest a 'Brown Shirt' blanket solution.  Okay, we have all heard your suggestions. 
I didn't? I talked about it quite a bit, and put up more than enough reasons of how to do it. YOU jumped back and said things like "it'd be illogical to have rovers walking around only to look for signs and take them from people, or waiting and banning glompers". Which of course it's realistic. It also had nothing to do with what I said nor what I presented as well.

QuoteOkay, we've heard you, you're done. 

Since you don't want to be part of the physical solution, let those in the "Chain of Power" figure out where we are going to get the additional manpower to do it.  Because in case you have figure it out, let me help you, Rovers/Safety is stretch really, really thin and what you are proposing will bury them in additional duties and a much higher demand on their time and energy.  Don't worry yourself with the logistics of actually doing the work or getting all the moving parts to come together, you've done your job, you've pointed it out. Don't worry about the legal framework that would be necessary to change the policy, that's not your problem, you've point it out and told everyone on this forum about it.
You DON'T NEED ADDITIONAL MANPOWER. It's just one more thing that needs to be addressed. Rovers no longer just deal with lines, and fights, and thieves, now they deal with another problem, one of which they should be addressing anyways(the signs were always an issue with panhandling and prostitution, as well assault/battery were always a problem they've been dealing with anyways). See, you always go off on tangents that don't even apply, like you're trying to mock me as if you're extremely immature, and you think I'm a child that doesn't know anything. I know the basis and logistics behind it. I've presented the base ideas and how they would work. It's up to the chairs to decide on what to do, because no matter how much I do, or not matter how much I present, or even if I made a perfect plan that is flawless... it comes down to the con chairs to decide what to do. I'm not a con-chair.

You should start acting like one instead of just whining that someone on your forum is disagreeing with you and attempting to present reasoning and ideas as to how you can address this problem, and not retort with childish logic circles.

QuoteYou're concept of doing the job is pointing out the problem, as you see it.  You've done it and now the real work continues for those in the "Chain of Power".

Thanks...

Craige...

Oh... not really. Because others still need to be made aware of it. You seem to not care about letting the public be aware of it.

PassingTheBuck

Craige Howlett
Finance Director
FanimeCon/Clockwork
2003-2016

Xeluu

Quote from: PassingTheBuck
Fanime has a Code of Conduct Policy and it has been printed in all the Program Books, but in the past there have not references to Glomping or Signage.

I see nothing wrong in what you are seeking, but that's never really been the real issue, it's the enforcement of the Code.

Craige...
That was posted in the other thread before it got locked, so I'll respond to it here.

Perhaps the problem last year was the fact that the program books weren't available during the Con, and I've heard the story behind it, and am not blaming Fanime in the least.

Perhaps something needs to be added to the code of conduct about glomping then? I'm not arguing either side on the signs issue, but was genuinely upset at the amount of unwanted glomping last year.

I still think it would be a good idea to post the code of conduct on the main Fanime page. And if it IS up there already, I apologize. I haven't gone hunting for it recently.
2016 Cosplay Plans
Gomamon/Gabumon - Digimon
Jolteon Gijinka - Pokemon
Oogie Boogie - Nightmare Before Christmas

PassingTheBuck

Quote from: Xeluu on February 27, 2008, 12:42:32 AM
Quote from: PassingTheBuck
Fanime has a Code of Conduct Policy and it has been printed in all the Program Books, but in the past there have not references to Glomping or Signage.

I see nothing wrong in what you are seeking, but that's never really been the real issue, it's the enforcement of the Code.

Craige...
That was posted in the other thread before it got locked, so I'll respond to it here.

Perhaps the problem last year was the fact that the program books weren't available during the Con, and I've heard the story behind it, and am not blaming Fanime in the least.

Perhaps something needs to be added to the code of conduct about glomping then? I'm not arguing either side on the signs issue, but was genuinely upset at the amount of unwanted glomping last year.

I still think it would be a good idea to post the code of conduct on the main Fanime page. And if it IS up there already, I apologize. I haven't gone hunting for it recently.

Hi Xeluu, yeah, you're right, it needs to be up on the web site and that's something I've passed along, hopefully in the near future.
Craige Howlett
Finance Director
FanimeCon/Clockwork
2003-2016