Would you buy....

Started by kimono_hime, February 26, 2008, 09:02:44 PM

kimono_hime

Would you buy kimono and kimono-related accessories (for men and women) in the dealer's room? I'm looking at getting a booth, but I'd like to know if there is any sort of demand before I invest in it, ya know?

Xeluu

I think it really depends mostly on the prices.

There was at least one clothing booth last year, though, granted, it wasn't kimono.

But, I think if the prices are good, you'd find people more than willing to pay for certain things.
2016 Cosplay Plans
Gomamon/Gabumon - Digimon
Jolteon Gijinka - Pokemon
Oogie Boogie - Nightmare Before Christmas

kimono_hime

Ah, good point. I'd be carrying everything from tabi ($10 or so) to kimono ($40 and up) and other items up to a few hundred dollars. I did a show this month where I sold out of kimono, so I'm looking forward to doing more.

abcbadcat

Tabi are those ninja shoe/slippers right?

$10? Thats pretty cool.

Moonblossom

Oh hell yes. I collect vintage kimono (so far I have one houmongi, one furisode, one kurotomesode, one uchikake and two obi that coordinate with them all), but I'm sorely lacking in proper accessories. I only have one obijime, no proper obiage, I'd love some fancy collars and even a few datejime and whatnot.

And god, if you can find dress vinyl zouri in either black or soft gold that would fit a western size 10/11 woman's foot, you're pretty much guaranteed a sale there.

I doubt I'll have the budget to buy any actual kimono unless they're very affordable, but accessories, definitely.

redroses3164

If you have plenty of selection then I'd consider buying from you. As people already have said, price does matter and would reflect if people do buy from you or not.

For me personally, I am interested in the kind of accessories you would be selling since I wouldn't bring enough money for the nice, pretty kimonos.

Quote from: abcbadcat on February 27, 2008, 12:28:14 PM
Tabi are those ninja shoe/slippers right?
$10? Thats pretty cool.

They're Japanese socks that separate the big toe from the other toes. uhh... that's all I really know about them.
Well Wikipedia is always your friend for this kind of thing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabi

Xeluu

Tabi for $10 I'm potentially interested in, and I think you'll find a LOT of others interested for that price as well.

XD My biggest issue would be whether or not they'd fit me, considering I have big feet. (I wear a size 10.5 - 11 men's. D': It sucks finding pretty shoes that size for me.)

If you do purchase a booth I can guarantee I'd at the very least come by and take a thorough look at your merchandise. 
2016 Cosplay Plans
Gomamon/Gabumon - Digimon
Jolteon Gijinka - Pokemon
Oogie Boogie - Nightmare Before Christmas

kimono_hime

Well, I'll see what I can do. I sold out of juban at my last show and certainly went through a lot of obijime, so I will certainly be stocking up on kimono gear as much as kimono themselves.

I generally don't carry furisode because a) they are heavy, and b) they are phenomenally expensive, but I do have just about everything else, even a few uchikake (which are REALLY heavy). I'm trying to restock obi right now, but getting them cheap is hit-and-miss. I like to keep my kimono as affordable as possible. It's more fun that way.

And zouri... yeah. I wouldn't mind some myself. Geta I can get. Zouri, not so much.

Hanha

kimono_hime

LOL! Then I guess I'd better get the booth fee scraped up somehow. Restocking after my last show has left me pretty skint!  ;)

Moonblossom

Haha, I totally understand the weight issue. I actually bought my uchikake from a professor at a college I was doing IT for, and carrying it home was a challenge. He brought it to me in a TRASH BAG T_T

It wasn't cheap, but I justified it by the fact that I was giving it a proper home.

His wife had bought it as a decoration for a wall, and then decided she didn't like it, so she stuffed the poor thing in said trash bag and then dumped it in a closet. My heart nearly broke when he told me the story.

kimono_hime

Unfortunately, that's not the first time someone has stored one in a trash bag. I helped with an auction fundraiser a few years ago and had to hunt around town to find uchikake to display along with one that was being auctioned off. It would seem that a Hefty bag is the preferred method of storage due to it's size. The only person who DIDN'T have one in a garbage bag was an artist who collects Asian antiques.

I wish I could store all my beauties in paulownia tansu, but sadly, that isn't an option. Every time I get an old kimono or haori that has been stored that way, they smell divine! 

Moonblossom

Ooh, that sounds lovely.

I just keep mine wrapped in tatou-shi in a cedar-lined ventilated trunk.

Actually, the wrappings are getting quite tattered, I could probably use more, so if you happen to be selling any of those I might snatch a few up.

kimono_hime

If I could find a decent supplier for tatou-shi, I would. So far, nada. I guess it will have to wait until I go to Japan and stock up.

Japanvideogames

haha im tempted to take all money I was going to use on food and anime stuff to buy a new outfit now XD

kimono_hime

Food? who needs food? I swear, I consumed about 50 calories a day during the last show I did. I was having too much fun to eat, and couldn't leave the booth anyway. :P I crashed pretty hard after we got home and took the next two days off.

It's a good think my partner isn't going to be coming with me, or he'd blow our budget on videos. Well, maybe not, but I know he's been looking for some in particular and if he found them there he'd certainly snap them up.

talu-chan

Every much so in ther interested group.  ;D
These violent delights have violent ends and in their triumph die, like fire and powder, which, as they kiss, consume.

TaikoMoon

Depending on what you have I may buy
"Friendly fire isn't"
'08 cosplay(s) All still debatable:
Chibi Maya/tenjho tenge
Ibuki/Street Fighter

kimono_hime

Stock so far includes kimono, obi, juban, obijime, haori, michyuki, yukata, geta, and tabi. Non-kimono stuff will include traditional incense, candy, kits for making doll-sized kimono, plus some of my original designs made from vintage kimono and obi fabrics (there's a link in my profile).

I'm working on getting more of the kitsuki stuff together. I like to be able to dress customers right at the booth so they can wear their new kimono all day.  :)

Moonblossom

Gah, I know where my tax refund is going this year ><''