Official E-Gaming Tournament list/ rules

Started by JTchinoy, February 27, 2008, 12:16:37 AM

PyronIkari

Wait... all glitches are banned? That means, that the majority of MvC2 is banned. Unfly is a glitch, and so are a lot of game play options that are considered basics.

Are charge partitions banned in 3S?

Banning all glitches, is stupid, because it's forcing the game to be played in such a way that destroys the game plans of virtually anyone that knows the game well.

Evo set rules, where game breaking glitches are banned, and only game breaking glitches(as in, I do glitch and I'm guaranteed victory such as Gambit flying off the screen, or any of the crash glitches). Local glitches which give new properties to moves/characters but do not destroy the overall balance of the game should not be removed.

Tron Projectile assisst for example... is technically a glitch, are we banning that assisst in MvC2? Guard crushing, and push block cancelling, all glitches, you might as well say "You can't play MvC2 even though we're having an MvC2 tournament".

JTchinoy

Yes, yes.  I got that from the last guy clarifying the definition of a glitch.
I've been thinking of how to reword that part of my post.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.  :D

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

HentaiTentacleDemon

freakin' finally! a tournament! what is the entry fee?

PyronIkari

Quote from: HentaiTentacleDemon on February 29, 2008, 09:53:30 PM

Free... seeing that they cant charge money for a tournament as that could be considered gambling yatta yatta...

Prizes won't be cash, but free crap from donated goods and other things.

JTchinoy

Entrance fee is your admission into Fanime  :P
No badge, no tournament for you.  :D

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

PyronIkari

Quote from: JTchinoy on February 27, 2008, 12:16:37 AM

Bleach Blade Battle 2            Import
+1st & 2nd place winners gets prizes
+ player cap TBD
4stock 2/3 games

Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection                     Import
+40 person cap
3/5 rounds, 2/3 matches, double elimination

Marvel VS. Capcom 2 New Age of Heroes tornament   Import
+40 person cap
2/3 games

Street Fighters III 3rd Strike tornament          Import
+40 person cap
2/3 rounds, 2/3 games

Guilty Gear Accent Core (or plus, TBD)
2/3 rounds 2/3 games
Guilty Gear has always banned Kliff & Justice, EX characters, Gold & Shadow characters, and Guilty Gear 1 mode, no #reload characters.

Halo 3
+cap TBD
1v1v1v1 or 2v2, 1st to 25, 7 minute game.

Melty Blood (version b probably)
Default settings (2/3 rounds, 2/3 games)

BeatMania II DX 13th Style Distorted or 14th Style Gold
+Highest score wins
+40 person cap
1 game per person per match

Guitar Hero 3
+40 person cap
1 game per person per match

More games to be added.
To avoid any E-riots, CoD4, CvS2, Smash bros Brawl, soul calibur, and Naruto clash of ninja 4 are all on our list of planned tournaments.  Confirming rules and accessibility to these games first.  :D

Side note, I don't know how many staff members you have and the such, and what your expected times are going to be so I'm going to throw down a bunch of numbers for your usage.

A 32 man tournament for SF3:3s, double elimination on 3 machines on average will take about 4-6 hours.

A 64 man tournament for SF3 will take about 10-12 hours.

Bracket wising, 40 is a horrible number to have, because it will be consisting of almost the entire first round to be byes, and only about 4 people playing in the first round to weed out those 4. You'd have to make 2 32 man brackets. If you're going to cap it, cap it at 32 or 64.

With IIDX, you can't have a bracket style match unless you're going to be taking upwards to 14 hours. You're going to have to have a cut number. And in general it's going to have to be a predetermined set of songs since 1 song is too easy to fluke(especially on a song with a set of drumrolls or the such) and you have to put into consideration that, each song is anywhere from 1:35- 3minutes long. Let's say you decide on a set of 3 songs, that's up to 9 minutes for one person to go. 32 people(you're not getting 32 people) first round is a couple of hours alone. If you cut that at even 50% 16 is still going to be another 2 hours and you're going to be looking at another 10 hour+ tournament.

With IIDX you can do a qualifiers timer. Where anyone can enter and try to qualify whenever they have time on friday. And then post up the say, top 16 on saturday and those top 16 are in the tournament bracket wise. Or top score wise. Since you're taking the top 2, bracket wise is better, and there's no point in having a double elimination for IIDX. If you need a more detailed post about how this could work, feel free to ask. The biggest issue with game tournaments is the amount of time it takes out from the convention. Let's say you start the tournament at 11... and there's things people want to do later... like 6pm. Most people think that, "Oh that's 7 hours away that's plenty of time" and don't realize how long these tournaments take, even when you have 3-4 dedicated machines running.

More numbers... Evo had a dedicated team of 8-15 machines running, with pools going 300 people, double elimination, single game. Even with them being single games, it still took upwards to 6 hours a game to finish. So just putting this into speculation. Tournaments take a LONG TIME, and you have to be really careful with this at a convention.

Ohsu

Don't know if this is clarified, but Marvel should not be on PS2

JT don't lose to ganny again
俺の名を言ってみろ!

JTchinoy

Yes I'm aware of the numbers and amount of time it takes.

To add to your numbers: all music games are planned to be 1 game per person.  That's it.  So each match should take 6 minutes tops.  Considering the fear I see in most fanime attendants at the sight of real players of any game, there shouldn't be 36.

300 people for 8-15 machines? 36 people for 1 machine will be the max expectancy.

Also as you said about IIDX, the probability of these tournaments reaching their max capacity is slim to none.

We barely made 12 people for tekken last year, let alone 40.

True that capping at 40 is an off number, so I'll probably drop it to 36.  All tournaments will be capped.  As it states, all rules are subject to change as I have to finish researching rules and getting the okay from my boss.

Tournaments will be held parallel to one another and probably on 2 days.  Friday and Saturday or Saturday and Sunday.  I plan to have 2 helpers and some of the players (as is how we do it for Norcal regionals) help coordinate.  Any player I pick to help will be people I know to be experienced in said game or as a gamer/ tournament facilitator in general.  I expect to have 3-4 tournaments going at a time, and yes I understand they'll take upwards of 4 hours.  I expect no tournament except maybe IIDX/ guitar hero to exceed or even meet this.  Prepared for the worst, all tournaments will be 36 man tournaments and we'll be there for a while.  As it is my duty as a staff member to do 24 hours (minimum) throughout the weekend, I don't mind committing an 8 hour shift on saturday and an 8 hour shift on sunday to tournaments.  I picked this job for it to be done right, unlike last year, and I will have it done as right as possible given E-gaming's capacity.

It is true that this can be taking away from the other events at fanime, but my concern is E-gaming.  You need diversity in fanime, because that's what fanime is.  We have musicfest, anime playing, the dealer room, masquerade, and e-gaming.  I want all of them to succeed and I am doing my part to make sure my department succeeds.  This means e-gaming will be the real deal tournament formats or EXTREMELY close to them.  That is the very reason I got this position because I said I would do these tournaments like the real thing.

Thank you for your input and I'll modify the formats with this in mind.  The song list thing that you brought up is a good idea.  I just need to figure out which songs.  Pending the number of entrants to IIDX and guitar hero, I MIGHT do the qualifiers before the tournament that you mentioned.

And Jeff, Bronson just kicked my ass on Friday with Ganryu, sorry to disappoint you.  I'll know the console for MvC2 (probably dreamcast) next weekend.  Want to help me with the tournaments if you're in the area? :)

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

Sunara Ishi

I might get in on Melty. Depends on what else is going on at fanime that might distract me. XD;

If Brawl happens, I'm so in. ^o^
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

PyronIkari

DC is the only playable MvC there is(and even then, it isn't even close to arcade perfect).

Even if the cap of 36 isn't met, one machine is horrible. One machine double elim with 16 people takes a good 4 hours still. You're better off running 1 tournament with 2 machines than running 2 tournaments with 1 machine each. Reason being is that, this will give more people free time to designate how they want. Someone can enter that tournament, it will end earlier, then leave and go see a panel or something, instead of having 2 tournaments where they're all stuck there for 4 hours. Time designation as well. It is also better for people entering multiple tournaments, that way there's no conflict of someone having to run back and fourth to play games and mixing mindsets and the what not. Going from a 3S game, to say Melty Blood, sometimes they have 3S mentallity still and will try to parry and what not.

It's generally better to stick with one game, get it out of the way, and move on to the next.

Bronson is a whore, he runs away from me even though we're brothers.

JTchinoy

Whatever you have against Bronson isn't my problem. :)  You 2 duke it out, it's not relevant to me.

As I said, I will run these tournaments to the best that I can based on E-gaming's capacity.

I don't know which systems we'll have and how many of each system.  All I know is that between myself and my boss, there's 2-3 ps2's, and 2 ps3's.  Either him or his friend has a DC.  When I find out how many machines I have I will determine how these tournaments will go.  If you're asking me to put 2 MvC2 up and I only have a ps2 and a DC, I think you'll be displeased to play on the PS2.

If we have 2-3 confirmed machines of each console, then we may be able to do it your way with 2 tournaments simultaneously.  As long as I can have at least 2 tournaments going parallel, it's efficient to me.  I know that there's talk from one of the Halo players of bringing his 360 to play halo with his team.  I need to find out who's lending us their systems and who I can ask to lend us systems.  When all of the consoles available and copies of games available are known to me, I can determine the tournament schedule.  Until then, bare with me :)

Thanks for your input by the way.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

Ohsu

JT I wanna play some Tekken. Pick me up so I can play with you guys :<

I'll help if I'm around, but are tourney handlers not allowed to play? I heard that 2 years and last year "as a general obvious rule," but you played last year...dunno about the other year.

Just hope your DC won't die (like mine)

You should have a tourney for MB to see whoever mashes 2A the most  :'(
俺の名を言ってみろ!

JTchinoy

we will have a tourney to mash your face off in :p

fool go drive your honda over here!! I don't wanna come from san jose to get you!

I'll just give instructions to a helper to run the tekken tourney so i can enter ;)

It won't be my DC so I don't care :D  I only care about my PS3 that's not leaving my sight while in use.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

Mizuki

Oh goodness, thanks for PyronIkari so I didn't have to type all that stuff out. But yeah, MvC2 on anything else but DC is trash, and if it's on Dreamcast will you provide convertors? And props for letting us use our own controllers, I don't want to be playing on some janky ass ps2 pad for Marvel/CvS2.

JTchinoy

Good question.  I'll get back to you on that.

I will have a converter for my ps3 to use sticks/ ps2 pads, but I don't know what we have for the other consoles.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

Mizuki

Also regarding MBAC, The only valid version now is Version B on the PC. The ps2 port is way inferior, some things don't work the same, speed is different, and I can't even use my main (White Len)

Also how about Super Turbo HD Remix?

Chewie

Nothing to add other than charging for a tournament is in no way legally construable as gambling.

HentaiTentacleDemon

Quote from: PyronIkari on March 01, 2008, 01:53:29 AM
Quote from: HentaiTentacleDemon on February 29, 2008, 09:53:30 PM
Free... seeing that they cant charge money for a tournament as that could be considered gambling yatta yatta...

Prizes won't be cash, but free crap from donated goods and other things.
does this help? i'm too lazy to read it and figure it out myself.

http://www.gambling-law-us.com/State-Laws/California/

TIP: do a word search for "tournament"

JTchinoy

HentaiTentacleDemon needs to think about his definition of gambling.  I'm not picking a side, nor am I saying we'll be having entrance fees since we won't, but you're saying every tournament I've ever entered and ever will enter is illegal and everyone I know should be arrested.  I am pretty sure every company that holds promotional tournaments should be arrested too since they have entrance fees to their "leagues".

I'm not trying to go against you, but that's the logic that follows your posts to me.  I think gaming will die out if we follow that as the competitive scene will all be vanish.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

JTchinoy

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X