EVO 2008: Results!

Started by Barnes, February 27, 2008, 05:43:23 PM

Barnes

Quote from: Chloe on March 18, 2008, 10:24:26 AM
Line-up looks gay this year. S:

I liked last years more...  There's barely any 3D Fighters, and there's not Guilty Gear.  It seems so barren compared to last years.  Plus, a hotel change?  The GVR is like, an uber fancy hotel, and there' moving it over to the Tropicana?  Lammme. D:

Then again, the Tropicana is on the Strip itself. From what I understand, there wasn't much to do outside of the GVR (people would have to travel for miles to get to the Strip.)
As for the line up, it is that way because of last years time problems. 8 games are apparently too much work for the EVO staff, I'm thinking.
Has EVO been to the Tropicana before?
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

Chloe

Quote from: Barnes on March 18, 2008, 04:35:37 PM
Quote from: Chloe on March 18, 2008, 10:24:26 AM
Line-up looks gay this year. S:

I liked last years more...  There's barely any 3D Fighters, and there's not Guilty Gear.  It seems so barren compared to last years.  Plus, a hotel change?  The GVR is like, an uber fancy hotel, and there' moving it over to the Tropicana?  Lammme. D:

Then again, the Tropicana is on the Strip itself. From what I understand, there wasn't much to do outside of the GVR (people would have to travel for miles to get to the Strip.)
As for the line up, it is that way because of last years time problems. 8 games are apparently too much work for the EVO staff, I'm thinking.
Has EVO been to the Tropicana before?

I suppose so, but still, the Tropicana is like at the end of the strip with the older hotels, lol.  But, the GVR was sure a nicer place as a venue.  Maybe not so much as places to do, but it was a nice hotel though.

Guilty Gear I know had problems because the participants were late?  That's what I heard...

But, with VF 5's 360 Release, it would have been exciting to see the turnout, seeing with the online feature would stir up some people...
It says on the site its the first time it's going to be on the Strip.  So, I guess it's heir first time there.
Cosplays for '10?  WHO KNOWS!?!

PyronIkari

Quote from: Chloe on March 18, 2008, 07:40:34 PM

I suppose so, but still, the Tropicana is like at the end of the strip with the older hotels, lol.  But, the GVR was sure a nicer place as a venue.  Maybe not so much as places to do, but it was a nice hotel though.

Guilty Gear I know had problems because the participants were late?  That's what I heard...

But, with VF 5's 360 Release, it would have been exciting to see the turnout, seeing with the online feature would stir up some people...
It says on the site its the first time it's going to be on the Strip.  So, I guess it's heir first time there.

Tropicana isn't at the end of the strip. It's central, it's right next to all the major hotels. This is one of the greatest things that could have happened.

GG had lots of complications.

Last year had Bronson throwing his MAS which was the best part of EVO.

Chloe: Why do you talk as if... you go to EVO and you actually play/compete/do anything?

otakuapprentice

Quote from: PyronIkari on March 18, 2008, 08:03:30 PM

Tropicana isn't at the end of the strip. It's central, it's right next to all the major hotels. This is one of the greatest things that could have happened.

Chloe: Why do you talk as if... you go to EVO and you actually play/compete/do anything?
im pretty sure she goes with her BF. she doesnt play, but thats about it.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

JTchinoy

bronson still has that stick.  the triangle and circle don't work, lol. so he has to set the buttons to the left 4.  the stick is just fine. =)

and yes, chloe's asshole boyfriend goes to EVO and chloe is dragged to all of the local tournaments that he goes to. *can vouche* of course, ohsu didn't enter tekken like HE WAS SUPPOSED TO.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

Chloe

Quote from: JTchinoy on March 18, 2008, 09:41:32 PM

bronson still has that stick.  the triangle and circle don't work, lol. so he has to set the buttons to the left 4.  the stick is just fine. =)

and yes, chloe's asshole boyfriend goes to EVO and chloe is dragged to all of the local tournaments that he goes to. *can vouche* of course, ohsu didn't enter tekken like HE WAS SUPPOSED TO.

[/quote]
im pretty sure she goes with her BF. she doesnt play, but thats about it.
[/quote]

JTChinoy:  But, he did compete in Tekken at EVO.  It's not like he drags me to the tournaments necessarily. I go not only to watch him participate, but I get to see friends like you and others I know. I enjoy watching even though I don't play the games. Are you going to go to EVO this year?  BTW, when is the next SJSU Tourney?  I'll probably see you then.

Pyron:  Well, when I looked at The Strip map, I saw it at the end by Excalibur and MGM Grand...  I do play fighting games like SCII/III/DOA/Virtua Fighter and some Tekken. I may not play at a high competitive level, but I have attend SFSU, SJSU, and SGVL tournaments with Ohsu often. 

Otaku:  I do play games.  I don't think I've ever met you, that's why you don't know that I do play.  I've always seen you on the BB, but never actually met you.
Cosplays for '10?  WHO KNOWS!?!

Ceirnian

Had lots of complications? Get the hell out of here with that, the 'complications' were pretty simple. During finals a few players showed up late (Marn barely showing up in time for his match) and there weren't many spectators. For whatever reason most of the GG community didn't get up and go watch Flash and his team get so close to the top. Before you ask, yes I was there and yes I competed. Going again this year, but for SFHD / Brawl.

As for Chloe, yes she does go to Evo and other tournaments. What does her competing have to do with her giving an opinion about the lineup / location? She's right about VF5 having a bigger scene now too, and I would have loved to see it there instead of 3s (garbage game to me).
Also known as 'Ced'

The way it is

Mizuki

Quote from: Ceirnian on March 19, 2008, 01:40:51 PM

Had lots of complications? Get the hell out of here with that, the 'complications' were pretty simple. During finals a few players showed up late (Marn barely showing up in time for his match) and there weren't many spectators. For whatever reason most of the GG community didn't get up and go watch Flash and his team get so close to the top. Before you ask, yes I was there and yes I competed. Going again this year, but for SFHD / Brawl.

The community as a whole have been pretty disrespectful to the Evo staff. Just look at the numerous posts on SRK. It's pretty simple. Marn being a lazy turd like always isn't the full reason why GGAC isn't at evo. Just look at the threads on SRK, read it outloud (so you can fully comprehend it, and I'm not saying this to taunt you, I do this myself because I can't read.) Yes, I know there are a few who are helping GGAC but the number of disrespectful to people who know what are doing is lopsided. This year can be the greatest (or worst) year for GGAC, it's whatever they can do.

Oh, and reason why it's at Tropicana is because Evo is poor this year. Oh yeah, same reason why there is only 6 games.

p.s. Smash sucks!

PyronIkari

Quote from: Ceirnian on March 19, 2008, 01:40:51 PM

As for Chloe, yes she does go to Evo and other tournaments. What does her competing have to do with her giving an opinion about the lineup / location? She's right about VF5 having a bigger scene now too, and I would have loved to see it there instead of 3s (garbage game to me).

SIGH...

I'm glad you think just because you go means you know anything. There were LOTS of complications, not just Marn being late. I'm friends with Marneto, I know more about that, what caused it, and the aftermath better than quite a bit of people. I also know much of what else happened as I've known Wizard for about 10 years and we talked about it. SRK threads show some of what happened, but not all of it. As I said... there were lots of complications.

You think 3S is a crap game, the majority of the country disagrees with you. I've missed on Evo since B5 and that was due to personal reasons, I've helped at every Evo, running brackets, errands, or other crap for staff. Miu and I hung out for an entire night with Sirlin. I lived about 10 minutes from Valle, and went to his house all the time for casuals 3S and MvC1. I beat Jason Nelson in A3 tourney, with V-Mika. I've embarassed Viscant in person, and on video more than virtually anyone in the world.

Are we done comparing E-cocks?

As for Chloe. It means quite a lot. As an observer, she doesn't contribute, nor is she an example/representitive of what Evo is for. Her opinion on the lineup is crap to be honest, and she talks A LOT of shit in other places when she's a no one that "plays" the game, isn't a "player" of the game. VF IS getting more reputation, does that mean it's worth having a tournament for? Frankly, there's a bigger fanbase for Melty Blood in the US, that doesn't mean it will have a tournament(for a whole crapload of reasons).

My comment was more on the fact that, she isn't a tournament player, why is she complaining about how the largest US tournament runs itself and the politics behind it when she ISN'T A TOURNEY PLAYER.

otakuapprentice

Quote from: Chloe on March 19, 2008, 12:29:58 PM
Otaku:  I do play games.  I don't think I've ever met you, that's why you don't know that I do play.  I've always seen you on the BB, but never actually met you.
i never said you didn't play games, you've just assumed that all on your own; read my post again and find the one post im quoting, in which i meant at EVO in competition, not in general.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

Barnes

Quote from: PyronIkariI beat Jason Nelson in A3 tourney, with V-Mika. I've embarassed Viscant in person, and on video more than virtually anyone in the world.

Can you prove those statements please? I'm curious.

Quote from: Mizukip.s. Smash sucks!

Ok, why? Hee-hee.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

JTchinoy

Jeff entered tekken?  ???
i guess he didn't get past pools then  :D
i still can't believe my xiaoyu teacher lost to a kuma  :-\
I'm probably going to EVO, but I'm focused on fanime for now.  after fanime i'll probably be playing tekken DR with bronson and them more.  until then, up smash go!
no idea when the next sjsu tournament is.  i just know im trying to learn GGAC and smash right now.
on that note... Mizuki I ban you from CvS2 tournament at fanime  ;)

I don't think it's fair to act like those of us who enter EVO have exclusive rights to deciding how EVO is run and to holding opinions on it.  We aren't better than anyone else as people and don't have any right to deny chloe or any other spectator of EVO the ability to criticize how it's run.  If you think EVO gives us the right to be arrogant and think we're more valuable than anyone else, try again.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

Mizuki

Awwwwww, no CvS2 for me? I can't even get past pools at Evo!!! (Just forget the fact I lose to Bas every year, and scrub out at all tourneys, actually I just suck.)

Anyways on why I hate Smash is due to multiple reasons. I used to run local Smash tourneys and they just took forever to run (Longer than CvS2!!!). The quality of the gameplay is very linear to me (yes I entered a couple of them and attempted to learn the game to give myself a better perspective.) Also the fact that it was in Evo just made me sick to the stomache (Especially when the runners always hated CvS2 for such long matches.) The community like other communities have it's flaw, to me it just seems like they're more elitest than most other communities (maybe I'm biased, I don't really know) But there's one thing I gotta give them props for. Good shit on showing on time at Evo (they had the earliest time slot for finals iirc? I don't remember I was getting dragged around by Arlieth and MBAC co. playing casuals)

JTchinoy

haha, im j/k.

i love brawl <3 it's not the most technical game out there compared to say GG and tekken, but it's fun and has enough strategy in it to be qualified as a real fighting game.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

PyronIkari

Quote from: Barnes on March 20, 2008, 01:14:30 AM

Can you prove those statements please? I'm curious.

Ask Bronson, or Viscant or Jason Nelson themselves. I beat Nelson at a SHGL Norcal vs. Socal major tourney. Or anyone else that was at that tourney. Does it matter? I also made top 32 in GGXX at Evo, I lost to Rowtron because I missed a simple link, he then lost to Mago, who I could have easilly beat.

JTchinoy

i don't think top 32 is impressive, but that's just me.

i made top 32 in tekken at EVO, i don't think it's a big deal to make it past pools.  being thrown straight into a match with arario definitely didn't help.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

PyronIkari

Quote from: JTchinoy on March 20, 2008, 09:12:23 PM
i don't think top 32 is impressive, but that's just me.

i made top 32 in tekken at EVO, i don't think it's a big deal to make it past pools.  being thrown straight into a match with arario definitely didn't help.

Making it past pools isn't top 32...

I was in pools with ID, and other top players of the time and no resetting of losses after that. The only matches I lost were against Row and ID.

JTchinoy

If i'm not mistaken there were 16 people who qualified at EVO qualifiers and 16 who made it out of elimination pools?

correct me if i'm wrong on my numbers.

4 qualifiers, top 4 qualified per qualifier.  16.
8 pools at EVO IIRC, top 2 per pool made it to top 32.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

PyronIkari

Which Evo?

It also doesn't help that Tekken had 0 intl. players last year.

One US player made it into top 8 for GGXX the year I got top 32. I started in losers bracket because I lost to ID in pools. ID was the only player in the US to make it to top 8. 5 US players made it to top 16.

If you made top 32 when there were like 23987923532 Korean players, and they were still doing no reset of losses through pools then you can say something.

JTchinoy

Evolution 2007, which one are you talking about? :)

There were that many koreans at EVO? I only saw like... 1 japanese guy.  Well with that said about korean presence your placing has more value than mine. :)

who's ID? i'm not a competitive GG player yet.

do you play GGAC? i wanna learn.  :D

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X